Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig?

Comments

In real life Dalts is clearly a bit of a has-been loser. But on screen, he's the man.
    Both Dalton and Craig are stage actors though?
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:
    In real life Dalts is clearly a bit of a has-been loser. But on screen, he's the man.

He has a son with this girl...

oksana_grigorieva.jpg

So I wouldn't go that far.
    I'd agree he's "the man" in films like Hot Fuzz but surely if he was THAT awesome he would have been in more films in bigger, meatier roles. God I sound like @NicNac now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A has-been loser, that's a bit harsh, isn't it? :-?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'd agree he's "the man" in films like Hot Fuzz but surely if he was THAT awesome he would have been in more films in bigger, meatier roles. God I sound like @NicNac now.

You can't beat Flash Gordon for bigness!
    That picture should read: Oksana´s no Weisz
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

You can't beat Flash Gordon for bigness!

Urgh! Flash Gordon. Saw that for the first time recently. Terrible =))

I still think his most enjoyable part was Hot Fuzz. In that he was just awesome.

Provide your counter argument then. I think he knows that Bond was his biggest and best break and it didn't work out for him. He's seen by the general public as a forgettable Bond and frankly I am not aware of him doing any quality work since LTK. Hot Fuzz aside, in respect of Bain.
    Univex wrote:
    Or we surrender all to the fact that... DALTON RULES!!!
    Timothy-Dalton-in-tights.jpg
    Try getting Craig in that outfit and making it work. lol

You feel, it does? ;) But yes, I have seen DC in worse outfits throughout his career.
    Getafix wrote:

oksana_grigorieva.jpg

That was years ago. Mel Gibson's been there since then and tried to kill her as well if I remember correctly.
    Bond wasn´t exactly his best break. Biggest? Perhaps, but not best. There was The Lion in Winter back in 68. Now that was good.
    I think, that was not a clever move to put that chick up against Weisz ;)
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Both Dalton and Craig are stage actors though?

Yeah but Dalton is of the "old kind" of stage star. Craig's a bit more...contemporary.

It's really tough because I USED to think Dalton was better BUT, after watching CR again, Craig just has that "cool", cocky quality that Dalton lacked. He's a rogue who pretends not to give a shit about danger. He can mock the enemy with a smirk on his face and not care (like when the baddie loses the Aston Martin at the leisure park in CR).

Physically he's about as tough as they come too. He can throttle/drown a man with his bear hands and keep his cool. He can shoot a man point blank and barely flinch.
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

oksana_grigorieva.jpg

That was years ago. Mel Gibson's been there since then and tried to kill her as well if I remember correctly.

You remember right. Still, even if it was years ago, he managed to get her even though he's what, 20 odd years older? Wouldn't call him a loser.
    Germanlady wrote:

She is hotter than Weisz!!!

Germanlady wrote:

'That chick' does look a touch naff next to the lovely Rachel. I think we can all agree that Craig wins on the real life chicks front. Infact, he probably beats all of the Bonds, no?
    ..plus he didn't need to go for younger to do that..
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 6,677
    That chick, as you say, is ugly...very ugly. Really.
    6a00d8341bf6c153ef011571153ae5970b-800wi.jpg

rachel_weisz_2.jpg
    Weisz is gorgeous.
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

oksana_grigorieva.jpg

You remember right. Still, even if it was years ago, he managed to get her even though he's what, 20 odd years older? Wouldn't call him a loser.

Had her and lost her. Q.E.D.
    Germanlady wrote:
    ..plus he didn't need to go for younger to do that..

I really respect that.
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

oksana_grigorieva.jpg

Cmon @Getafix you're a Dalton fan, you're meant to be backing me up here!
    I´m a Dalton fan as well. But, hands down, Daniel Craig wins in the girlfriend/wife department. Unless we´re talking about Satsuki, now she was ugly.
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

oksana_grigorieva.jpg

Cmon @Getafix you're a Dalton fan, you're meant to be backing me up here!

The thing about Bond actors is that I don't actually care what they're like off screen. Of all of them Brozza comes across as the guy who would be most fun to have a pint with, but I don't care. He sucked as Bond and that's all that matters. Dalts comes across as a bit of a ponce who takes himself way too seriously, but he kicked ass as Bond. Therefore, he rules.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Univex wrote:
    I´m a Dalton fan as well. But, hands down, Daniel Craig wins in the girlfriend/wife department. Unless we´re talking about Satsuki, now she was ugly.

Sats' wasn't so much ugly as a little bit plain. He's definitely moved up in the world.

That said, Rachel is 40+ now and is looking a little rough around the edges...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Getafix wrote:

Provide your counter argument then. I think he knows that Bond was his biggest and best break and it didn't work out for him. He's seen by the general public as a forgettable Bond and frankly I am not aware of him doing any quality work since LTK. Hot Fuzz aside, in respect of Bain.

But how does that possibly make him a has-been loser? You make him sound like some washed up junkie actor that can't let go of the past. Something that Dalton obviously isn't, even if he's not had the most glittering career.
    of all of them Brozza comes across as the guy who would be most fun to have a pint with

Now there me and @Getafix are in agreement. Brozza would be fun to have as a drinking buddy.

I wouldn't call Dalton a "has been loser", thats pretty harsh. He has afterall starred in films with Katherine Hepburn, Mae West, Alec Guiness and Anthony Hopkins, how many of us can say that? BUT he's never really been a "star" like the these people. He's just not engaging enough as a lead in the eyes of audiences.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    of all of them Brozza comes across as the guy who would be most fun to have a pint with

Now there me and @Getafix are in agreement. Brozza would be fun to have as a drinking buddy.

Agreed.
    Getafix wrote:

But how does that possibly make him a has-been loser? You make him sound like some washed up junkie actor that can't let go of the past. Something that Dalton obviously isn't, even if he's not had the most glittering career.

I'm not basing my view on hard, fist-hand research. Just the fact that he's done nothing of any note since LTK and has lost his looks and apparently any of the kudos that should go along with being a past Bond. If he'd done 4 or 5 he would have been established in the public imagination. Instead he's seen as peripheral and a bit of Lazer.
    Getafix wrote:
    That said, Rachel is 40+ now and is looking a little rough around the edges...
    Rough around the edges? Really? Where exactly?
    rachel-weisz-deep-blue-sea-premiere-01.jpg
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I'm not basing my view on hard, fist-hand research. Just the fact that he's done nothing of any note since LTK and has lost his looks and apparently any of the kudos that should go along with being a past Bond. If he'd done 4 or 5 he would have been established in the public imagination. Instead he's seen as peripheral and a bit of Lazer.

Hot Fuzz, the Tourist. 2 big films that made alot of money, which Dalton was in. Ok the Tourist was bad but Dalton was one of the films good points. And he hasn't really lost his looks, I think he's aged pretty well.