Who would be your worst (and best) choice for the Skyfall theme song?

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Just read this now, Damon Albarn would be up for another record with Blur if it was for a soundtrack!
    http://www.metro.co.uk/music/907635-damon-albarn-id-be-up-for-doing-a-movie-soundtrack-with-blur
    I think it wouldn't be a bad choice at all now that I think about it :>
    Blur would be amazing as well!!!
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 126
    Noel Gallagher would have been perfect.

Pearl Jam =Ed can sing the phonebook and make it sound good.
    Radiohead
    Townshend with Daltrey singing of course.
    Prince -lol
    let Sir Paul do another one
    Neil Young could do it. Dont underestimate, Neil. DO NOT !!
    Amy Lee of evanescence (spelling?)
    BECK

worst-Metallica , Maroon 5, Beyonce, gaga, taylor swift, Christina Aguliera, nikki minaj,katy perry, Scott Weiland. Axl Rose without slash.
    I'd be quite happy with an instrumental again, or better still, no music at all. Still a little irritated with some of the recent 'efforts' and I feel it's going to be another disappointment this year, so I feel right now, just the sound of silence will be enough, but a good title design to componsate for it
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I'd be quite happy with an instrumental again, or better still, no music at all. Still a little irritated with some of the recent 'efforts' and I feel it's going to be another disappointment this year, so I feel right now, just the sound of silence will be enough, but a good title design to componsate for it

Quite like the idea of an instrumental. Could be good. OHMSS is one of the best, so why not.
  • Get rid of Madonna, keep YKMN, get rid of AWTD and use the DBS/Arnold collaboration instead. That's how I'd fix the title theme woes.
  • You know, I started Bloodstone again today and I've gotta say, Joss Stone, she really really makes it sound like a Bond theme, I'd be more than happy with her, alternatively, worst choice? The Spice Girls....
    has anyone considered gwen stefani of no doubt the way they did its my life in the middle a couple of the licks reminds me of a bond tune which makes me think she would be a good candidate
    @0021 No, that would be too much like Bassey, I don't want no shrill wailing or castrating of cats..

Why haven't we heard anything yet, they're leaving it a bit late aren't they to bring someone in to do the theme. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some cloak and dagger-esque work already done and recorded and the artist has already recorded it and we are not yet aware. Would not be a surprise

Whoever it may be, I feel I'm going to be in for another disappointment, no sense in lying

@Baltimore_007 at the moment I am perfectly convinced that the song has already been recorded, and they managed to keep it secret like nothing else in this film.

I was thinking today why is it taking so long for the title song performer to be known and something came to my mind. What if they are expecting something to put said performer in the limelight so that the announcement has more impact? Then I read the comment by @Commander_Skyfall. No, I'm not thinking there is any risk of the Spice Girls doing it, but someone else performing in the ceremony perhaps? From the names I have heard the only ones that would be suitable for Bond would be Muse, I would personally be very excited if they were doing it :D
    Ideas anyone?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    @0021 No, that would be too much like Bassey, I don't want no shrill wailing or castrating of cats..

Why haven't we heard anything yet, they're leaving it a bit late aren't they to bring someone in to do the theme. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some cloak and dagger-esque work already done and recorded and the artist has already recorded it and we are not yet aware. Would not be a surprise

Whoever it may be, I feel I'm going to be in for another disappointment, no sense in lying

Not that I disagree about Stefani, but she can't hold a candle to DSB. Very few can. And Bassey GF is much different than DAF or MR in your reference to shrill wailing. Bassey's voice is just so pure in those two particular songs. One of the few good things about either of those films is Barry and Bassey together. Like PB&J to me, they go so well.

I refuse to have an opinion other than 2 of the last 3 were horrible choices. YKMN is brilliant and fits the credits and movie like a glove. As to the rest, I'm a musician and I respect my fellow musicians. I'll make my own decision when I hear the song and see how it fits within the film score.

I think they should just use this and be done with it...
    00Beast wrote:
    I am sure @Agent007391 loves Adele, judging just from his huge fanaticism for Shirley Bassey.

To quote a famous 007 actor: "You musht be joking?!?!"
    The beauty of sharcashm! :D

Brosnan said "You must be joking" in DAD
    Connery said "Ejector seat you're joking" in GF ;)
  • By far, the best choice would be Paloma Faith!

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2012 Posts: 9,117
    even get Genesis back together one last time.

I know I laugh at your proclamations about how good England are at football but you surpass yourself here Sir. Literal insanity.
    Emeli Sandé would be a great choice. Fabulous voice. Demonstrated this at the opening ceremony for the 2012 Olympics in London.
    best for me

Yes

Listen to these songs and tell me that they don't sound bondian!

worst

Adele
    I was a big fan of Yes in the 70s but not once did I think they were suitable for a Bond song. At a push maybe Jon and Vangelis but not Yes. It does seem that the Bond songs of today have lost their direction and purpose that you can invariably name any band or solo artist nowadays and make a case for them recording the title song, regardless of their suitability. No offense meant, @Risico007, but I think the artist chosen for the honour of singing a Bond song should fit the mould of the past greats and not try and repeat the failings of recent titles by going all rock on us. It worked for Paul McCartney & Wings but it just hasn't worked since.

But I love Yes and those tracks as non-Bond songs though.
  • BenBen
    edited August 2012 Posts: 121
    The 'JamesBond007' YouTube have just subscribed to a channel to 'iConcerts'. Just speculating, but maybe this is where the Skyfall theme music might be livestreamed or released. They must of subscribed for a reason.
    Ben wrote:
    The 'JamesBond007' YouTube have just subscribed to a channel to 'iConcerts'. Just speculating, but maybe this is where the Skyfall theme music might be livestreamed or released. They must of subscribed for a reason.

I saw it right now. I wondered the same thing. It's their only subscription. I feel we may have an announcement soon!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ben and Sandy - well that is interesting!
    By now, I would be surprised if it is NOT Adele. I just want to know. Now, darn it.
    Ben and Sandy - well that is interesting!
    By now, I would be surprised if it is NOT Adele. I just want to know. Now, darn it.

Yes, by now I just want to know. I was pretty convinced it would be Adele but since she's a bit MIA lately I don't know. I'm not that convinced it could be Muse either, I just want something!!!
  • BenBen
    @4EverBonded I can easily see it not being Adele because there has never been any evidence of Adele ever doing the Bond theme is there? It's all just rumours isn't it? The only thing that might hint towards who is doing the theme is Muse are appearing on Saturday Night Live with Daniel Craig.
  • I really think Kasabian could do a great one, or Kings Of Leon, but if it's Muse I'll be happy enough. Don't really want Adele to do it.
    Kasabian would be awesome but Kings of Leon would be \m/ Good choices @thelivingroyale.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ben wrote:
    @4EverBonded I can easily see it not being Adele because there has never been any evidence of Adele ever doing the Bond theme is there? It's all just rumours isn't it? The only thing that might hint towards who is doing the theme is Muse are appearing on Saturday Night Live with Daniel Craig.
    That doesn't mean a thing. SNL always has a musical guest, every single show. That's not conclusive at all, just a random performer that just happens to be singing while Dan is hosting.
  • @Sandy I aim to please :)
    Ben wrote:
    That doesn't mean a thing. SNL always has a musical guest, every single show. That's not conclusive at all, just a random performer that just happens to be singing while Dan is hosting.

But they could've chosen them for a reason.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Maybe. I will admit, it would be cool if Dan announced the Bond theme singer live.
  • BenBen
    Ben wrote:

But they could've chosen them for a reason.

I know it's nothing conclusive and it's just speculation, but at least the speculation is based on something. But as I said on the Saturday Night Live thread, it would be kind of odd to release the theme of a Bond film on an exclusively US TV show. You never know though, they might. Another bit of speculation to add on top of it all, they might stream it on iConcerts channel before and then Muse perform it live or something like that. Now I've said all that it was probably someone on the YouTube misclicked on the subscribed button :P
    Maybe. I will admit, it would be cool if Dan announced the Bond theme singer live.

And even if they had been announced before (let's face it, SNL is a USA thing, I don't think I ever watched it) it would be quite a publicity stunt for the American audience to have the Bond actor and the Bond these in a popular show! If, and only if Muse were doing it, at the moment it's just speculation I'm afraid.