Who would be your worst (and best) choice for the Skyfall theme song?

Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
edited July 2012 in Music Posts: 1,874
Being an old fart, I don't keep up with the current music scene as much as I should. But I wonder what would be the worst case scenario re artist to do the title song. Of those that I can think of, Ed Sheeran, JLS, 1Direction etc would be my worst nightmare! Adele has been touted as the next singer, not a big fan but she would be infinitely better than any of those mentioned. Personally I would like to see Sir Tom have another crack at it - Dame Shirley did three so I can't see any problem with Sir Tom doing a second. What do you think?

Comments

Nah. Never was a fan of Thunderball.

Florence and the Machine?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Getafix wrote:
    Nah. Never was a fan of Thunderball.

Florence and the Machine?

I must check out some F andthe M - a friend of mine doesn't like them, so they must be good! ha ha. Can you suggest a good track to listen too?
    "You've got the love"? Any really.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I would say Oasis but, well, we all know what happened :((

Anyway, best I reckon would be Foo Fighters. I think Kings Of Leon could pull it off too.

Worst would be some crap talentless boy band or singer like Justin Bieber, One Direction, Miley Cyrus, anybody like that.
    Worst = Jedwood! 8-X
    Best = Adele :-bd

Please let it be the latter of the two?!!!! [-O<
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Getafix wrote:
    "You've got the love"? Any really.

Cheers Getafix, just checked that out and realise I do know it! Must listen to some more of their stuff.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Worst : the Roger Moore 'happy birthday' song

No way! That's already a classic. It's like a William Shatner song! So bad it's good!
    Adele would be a great song, even if you don't completely like her music, her voice is great, excellent technique and power.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    JBFan626 wrote:

No way! That's already a classic. It's like a William Shatner song! So bad it's good!

If you keep only Sir Rog's delicious voice, the song is a masterpiece.

JBFan626 wrote:

If you keep only Sir Rog's delicious voice, the song is a masterpiece.

I'm waiting for the remixes...so much you can do with Sir Rog's lines. Pure Gold.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    worst: Bieber, Cyrus, L. Gaga, Jennifer Lopez or Willow Smith

best: Adele or (bear with me) The Rolling Stones doing a reprise of Gimme Shelter (a haunting piece I've always wanted to hear in a Bond movie - okay maybe not the theme song, but it would be good in the film somewhere, I think)

(yeah, Oasis could have been great, back in the day)
    Quoasis might have been alright. Not sure they had the production pollish required though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Best: Caro Emerald
    Worst: Michael Buble
    Best: Adele
    Worst: Pitbull

Honourable Mention: Freddie Mercury (If he were still with us, I think he'd made a killer Bond theme).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

OH SNAP!

OH SNAP!

I think that worst is pretty unanimous.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

OH SNAP!

I think that worst is pretty unanimous.

Speak for yourself mate. Now I have to go sharpen my knife set. They've gotten dull.
    Worst: Taylor Swift or John Mayer.
    Best: Not sure... I'd love to see Muse do it, but I heard they were doing the official theme for the London games and I doubt they'd do both.
  • Please don't shoot me...
    Lady Gaga could maybe pull off a good Bond-song. Not in the style she usually is known for (Born This Way, Bad Romance etc.), but more like her slow-tempo songs... (Brown Eyes, Yoü & I or Speechless). Admit it, she has a amazing voice. Even for Bond. Just listen to the duet with her and Tony Bennett :)
    Pretty unlikely, but who knows :)

Please don't shoot me...
    Lady Gaga could maybe pull off a good Bond-song. Not in the style she usually is known for (Born This Way, Bad Romance etc.), but more like her slow-tempo songs... (Brown Eyes, Yoü & I or Speechless). Admit it, she has a amazing voice. Even for Bond. Just listen to the duet with her and Tony Bennett :)
    Pretty unlikely, but who knows :)

Guns seem a little too friendly.
    BEST: Rush- still in their element and have the song-writing capabilities to make some magic with a new Bond theme

WORST: Adele- her voice is extremely annoying and it would only be to please the new young audience
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 23,544
    Best: No idea. Haven't enthusiastically listened to contemporary music since 2005.

Worst: Bieber, Gaga
    @00Beast forgot about Rush. They could definetly do it.

I don't really get why so many want Adele. I don't get the hype for her. Alot of her songs could just be translated as "I hate my ex", and she seems pretty up herself. Also, her voice is just sort of annoying to me.
    I am sure @Agent007391 loves Adele, judging just from his huge fanaticism for Shirley Bassey.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I think Adele is the right choice. She really got the right voice for the job.
    I am sure @Agent007391 loves Adele, judging just from his huge fanaticism for Shirley Bassey.

To quote a famous 007 actor: "You musht be joking?!?!"
  • BEST- Shirley Bassey
    WORST- The list is endless considering the choice for two of the last 3 films.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,441
    Best:

Adele
    Instrumental song
    Shirley Bassey with new song
    Robbin Williams (Bodies = Videoclip also looks like QOS/Millenium = very Yolt)
    Paloma Faith
    Rob Dougan (Speed Me Towards Death = very Yolt)
    Andreas Johnson (The games we play )
    Sharleen Spiteri (Song written by David Arnold) Solo. Also know from Texas. Lissen to: All The Times I Cried, Stop, I Don't Love You Anymore, I'll See It Through (Texas)
    Lady Linn. (and her Magnificent Seven) Lissen to: I Don't Wanna Dance, Love affair
    Tripoli (Belgium. Lissen to: Bye Bye)
    Garbage
    Elton John. Like to see he doing a song for whyle.
    Nina Persson (Song written by David Arnold). She sings a song written by David Arnold for tv series Theme From Randall & Hopkirk (2000). Also known from The Carpenters.
    Escape The Fate (Lost In Darkness & Prepare Your Weapon)
    The Blackboxrevelation (Belgium. I think i like you / Never Alone, Always together)
    Sting

Not for Skyfall:

Shirley Bassey with Good About Goodby. I think this song better fit for Bond 24.
    Duffy (Rejected song for QOS)
    Bjork (Song written by David Arnold)
    Tricker Finger (Belgium group.)
    De Phazz (Germany) Lissen/Watch The Mambo Craze. Dr no style videoclip. Lissen to: My Society / Astrud Astronette.
    Mary J. Blige
    Aretha Franklin (If Needed song written by Bono and the edge.)
    Duran Duran
    Spector (Never Fade Away). Are bit Duran Duran.
    Paul McCartney
    Leonard Cohen. Lissen to My Secret Life./Dance with me to the end of love.
    Frank Sinatra. Yusing the song New york
    Eyes Sett To Kill (Title i take in considation is also a name of band.)
    Rihanna
    Kylie Minoque
    Lene Marlin (Another Day)
    Caro Emerald (Dr No maintitle). I don't wanna say she is worse choose, but not my choose to do a song.
    Anouk
    Charice (Louder)

Worse:

Michael Buble
    Madonna. Don't think that she should do another song.
    Britney Spears. I have her in considarion for Bond 24 who i like to see go to New York and discuss the fall and rise of Bond. Only if she get a very strong song written by David Arnold for example or mabey a duo song with Robbie Williams.
    Lady Gaga. Never.
    Alicia Keys. Never again.
    Jack White. Mabey as a writer, but not as singer.
    00Beast wrote:

To quote a famous 007 actor: "You musht be joking?!?!"
    The beauty of sharcashm! :D