Who would be your worst (and best) choice for the Skyfall theme song?

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    @00Beast forgot about Rush. They could definetly do it.

I don't really get why so many want Adele. I don't get the hype for her. Alot of her songs could just be translated as "I hate my ex", and she seems pretty up herself. Also, her voice is just sort of annoying to me.

Hell didn't even think of Rush their new album Clockwork Angels is excellent and Geddy Lee's voice has mellowed nicely. Definitely gets my vote over the ubiquitous Adele who I can take or leave - preferably leave! Still got my vote in for Sir Tom Jones though.
  • Best: Florence + The Machine
    Worst: While it may not be the WORST, I don't like the idea of bringing back Bassey.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,399
    3 best choices...

1. Shirley Bassey - I think it would be nice to see her do the theme for the 50th anniversary... she is the quintessential voice of the Bond theme, and i would welcome the old gal giving it one last go... and she has proved that she still has the pipes to belt out a great theme - if you doubt, listen to "The Living Tree" or "No Good About Goodbye"..

2. Adele - a very powerful voice, would do a great Bond theme.. the only reason she isn't #1 on my list, is because of my affection towards wanting to see The Dame do one last song for Bond.. Adele still has miles ahead of her, so if maybe not for Skyfall, then quite possibly Bond 24.

3. Michael Buble - didn't know much about him, but his song "cry me a river" won me over quick, and I think he's another that could a tremendous job with a future Bond theme.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Michael is a great crooner, bringing back the good old days of truly talented singing, and he deserves to sing a Bond theme. The man is legendary.
    I tend to like the more upbeat, hard driving songs like GF, TB, LALD, AVTAK, LTK, & CR.
    These have an element of danger and action in them. Having seen the Brosnan films and QoS several times, I still cannot hear those songs in my mind or hum them.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again

+1.

And this, just so show the capabilities when thís guy's handed a good song:
    No Bassey, No Bubble, Not that Adele Kid either, I implore the gods of common sense to enforce none of this ever takes place :-L

It's late and I'm tired, but I wouldn't mind even having Metallica do the theme intro for this year, or Aerosmith maybe or even get Genesis back together one last time. It would be much more better than some of the names they have in mind. It's safe to say we won't see (or hear) a return of the awful plastic faced abominations that were Madonna and Keys, and Bassey back for a fourth time seems unlikely, but something tells me, that for the 50th anniversary year they may bring back a name from the past, I do hope it is not her. Duran Duran have been mentioned somewhere down the line for a possible return, and actually, that's not such a bad idea, I could maybe go along with that but it seems they won't explore that avenue
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,399
    I wouldn't mind even having Metallica do the theme intro for this year, or Aerosmith

=)) 8-}

suddenly my unconventional dark horse choice of Ozzy Osbourne doesn't seem so crazy.

i've always maintained that if you have Ozzy do a song similar to the one above, and you throw a James Bond orchestra behind him - it would be magic.
    Ok, my best choices would be:
    Prince

Guns n Roses

• MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited July 2012 Posts: 858
    I am amazed by how people are nagging about wanting a "classic" bond, but want a metal-version of the Bond-theme. Having a few friends that listen to metallica and the likes I know what they can do, but no matter how hard they will try, they will never have the class needed for a good* Bond-song.

So don't bring up TND, TWINE or QoS.
    MartinBond wrote:
    I am amazed by how people are nagging about wanting a "classic" bond, but want a metal-version of the Bond-theme. Having a few friends that listen to metallica and the likes I know what they can do, but no matter how hard they will try, they will never have the class needed for a good* Bond-song.

Live And Let Die?

MartinBond wrote:

Live And Let Die?

It's not metal though. Has more of a reggae vs John Barry feel to it more than anything else.
    bondsum wrote:
    It's not metal though. Has more of a reggae vs John Barry feel to it more than anything else.

I don't hear reggae at all when i listen to LALD - not even a hint of it... it's straight up rock... even in Martin's score to the movie there isn't any hint of reggae - it all has an urban blues / funk vibe.

• quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Worst: Jack White again, obviously. Any current "flavour of the month" nonentity. Anybody under the age of 30. Or anybody who appeals to anybody under the age of 30!

Best: Swing Out Sister, Goldfrapp. Both are a) immensely talented, b) clearly influenced by John Barry & c) have a lush, dramatic "cinematic" sound to their music.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,333
    HASEROT wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

I don't hear reggae at all when i listen to LALD - not even a hint of it... it's straight up rock... even in Martin's score to the movie there isn't any hint of reggae - it all has an urban blues / funk vibe.

The reggae segment (albeit ska segment) for me was always when he sang:

What does it matter to ya
    When you got a job to do
    You gotta do it well

I may have been overstating the caribbean influence but it's certainly there amongst the pop/rock/blues fusion. But it ain't metal.
    @bondsum

i had to relisten to the song to make sure i didn't miss anything - and sure enough, there is a bit of a reggae vibe during that verse right in the middle of the song.. marks to you... guess i never really payed that close attention to that part before..

and yes, it's not metal....... i love me some metal, but in no way could i picture 99% of the metal artists out there doing a Bond theme (except for my dark horse choice of Ozzy lol)
    Thanks, haserot. I appreciate your affirmation to the above.
    bondsum wrote:
    Live And Let Die?

To hell with metal, it is a flipping good rocksong that has been covered by metalbands too, because they recognise quality when they hear it.

The first xXx had as gimmick that it catered to young folks by having metal and what such not music. Perhaps you are interested in the wrong franchise?

SaintMark wrote:
    bondsum wrote:
    Live And Let Die?

To hell with metal, it is a flipping good rocksong that has been covered by metalbands too, because they recognise quality when they hear it.

The first xXx had as gimmick that it catered to young folks by having metal and what such not music. Perhaps you are interested in the wrong franchise?

I don't understand what you're trying to say here? What's xXx got to do with the title song Live & Let Die? As a matter of fact I'm dead set against having a metal theme song for Bond and much prefer a brassy JB inspired number. I've got nothing against heavy metal, I just don't think it belongs in the 007 universe is all.
    No Bassey, No Bubble, Not that Adele Kid either, I implore the gods of common sense to enforce none of this ever takes place :-L

Thank you. I actually wouldn't mind Buble but Bassey or Adele? No!
    bondsum wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    bondsum wrote:
    Live And Let Die?

I don't understand what you're trying to say here? What's xXx got to do with the title song Live & Let Die? As a matter of fact I'm dead set against having a metal theme song for Bond and much prefer a brassy JB inspired number. I've got nothing against heavy metal, I just don't think it belongs in the 007 universe is all.

I misunderstood you then. But I consider LALD one of the classic Bondsongs, that this one has been covered so much says something about the quality of the song.

But I prefer also a more '60's kind of sound.

SaintMark wrote:

I misunderstood you then. But I consider LALD one of the classic Bondsongs, that this one has been covered so much says something about the quality of the song.

(Let's cut down on the chain quotes.)

I love LALD as a song, but not a Bond song.

Shirley Bassey's time has come and gone. We need to move on to something that fits everyone's tastes. Someone who's classically trained, popular, talented, and sophisticated. Metal shouldn't be allowed anywhere near James Bond. Nor should Rap. Nor should Lee Tamahori.

Adele is a fine choice.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,333
    SaintMark wrote:

As do I, SaintMark, as do I.

Apart from the superb title song, LALD also has the next best soundtrack to a John Barry one...imo.
    But that comment will probably open up a nasty nest of vipers from Arnold and Serra fans.
  • Metal RULES. PERIOD
    Hang on shouldn't we be getti'n offical word soon?
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Metal RULES. PERIOD

\m/

I reckon a metal Bond song could be good if done by the right band/singer. It'd be better than Adele anyway (imo).
    HASEROT wrote:
    suddenly my unconventional dark horse choice of Ozzy Osbourne doesn't seem so crazy.

Ozzy could probably do a great Bond theme.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,450
    If famale performer returns then i think this is the Top rank who make the biggest change.

1. Shirley Bassey (GF, DAF, MR)
    2. Garbage (Twine)
    3. Tina Turner (Goldeneye)
    4. K.D. Lang (Encredits TMND)
    5. Sheryl Crow (TMND)
    6. Sheena Easton (FYEO)
    7. Lulu (TMWTGG)
    8. Rita Coolidge (Octopussy)
    9. Carly Simon (TSWLM)
    10. Gladys Knight (LTK)
    11. Nancy Sinatra (Yolt)

Or Duffy or Bjork who been ask before but not have done. Nancy Sinatra is 3 years younger then Bassey but i don't have any idea or she stil have a good voice. Next year it is 15 years a go that her father died.
    I've always thought Sade's music would fit nicely in a Bond film. Anything beats that terrible song at the beginning of QOS.
    Best: chris cornell, jamiroquai, kate perry =(for the american market), adele.
    Worst:gaga, buble.
    Best: I think Paul Weller would be the best choice to do a Bond theme:

Worst: Lady Gaga