The actual age of the Bond actors during production

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Haha! Liam Neeson he is not.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    What I find so positively shocking is the fact that TLD was written in the belief that Moore could be lured into doing another--HE WOULD HAVE BEEN 60 AT THE PREMIERE

Shocking! Positively shocking!
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 372
    Interesting topic! Can we talk also talk about non-077 actors in here? :D

To answer your question, I think Lazenby, Connery and Craig looked older than they actually are and Brosnan, Dalton and Moore (in the beginning at least) looked younger. Never would of guessed Brosnan was in his early 40s when he did Goldeneye!

Brosnan just turned 60 and he seems to have aged very gracefully.
    He always looked younger in all his Bonds. Good genes like Connery.
  • Moore started pretty late, and always looked his age in his first 6 movies. In the last 3 I see him as an aging agent, and thus his looks don't disturb me. But to be honest, it looks like he aged 10 years between OP and AVTAK. He seriously looks like a 65 old IMO.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A facelift seldom does anyone any good.
    A facelift seldom does anyone any good.

Just like the load of Botox the current generations of maturing stars is fond of.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Roger Moore AVTAK 56/57
    Roger Moore OP 54/55
    Roger Moore FYEO 52/53
    Roger Moore MR 50/51
    Roger Moore TSWLM 48/49 =
    Pierce Brosnan DAD 48/49
    Daniel Craig SP 46/47
    Roger Moore TMWTGG 46
    Pierce Brosnan TWINE 45/46
    Roger Moore LALD 44/45
    Pierce Brosnan TND 43/44 =
    Daniel Craig SF 43/44
    Timothy Dalton LTK 42
    Pierce Brosnan GE 41/42
    Sean Connery DAF 40 =
    Timothy Dalton TLD 40
    Daniel Craig QOS 39/40
    Daniel Craig CR 37/38
    Sean Connery YOLT 35/36
    Sean Connery TB 34
    Sean Connery GF 33
    Sean Connery FRWL 32
    Sean Connery DN 31
    George Lazenby OHMSS 29
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Dalton's precise age is a curious source of confusion - for some reason no one has ever gotten him on record to confirm if he was born in March 1944 or '46 ... we assume 1946, but this hasn't been verified by Timothy himself as far as I know.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'd go with 44. He said he'd do Bond while in his forties and that would make him 50 when he dropped out.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's certainly the only anomaly we have. Maybe take a sort of vote on here. If anyone has any evidence to suggest 44 or people in general feel it is 44, then I will change it.
  • AceHole wrote: »
    Dalton's precise age is a curious source of confusion - for some reason no one has ever gotten him on record to confirm if he was born in March 1944 or '46 ... we assume 1946, but this hasn't been verified by Timothy himself as far as I know.
    I can shed some light of this, born on 21st March 46 which means 70.
    AceHole wrote: »
    I can shed some light of this, born on 21st March 46 which means 70.
    Wikipedia says "21 March 1944 or 1946", IMDb says "March 21, 1944", Google says " March 21, 1944 (age 70)" - Where does your certainty stem from?

(And, for the record, if he was born in March 1946, he would be 68 - not 70)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    NicNac wrote: »
    It's certainly the only anomaly we have. Maybe take a sort of vote on here. If anyone has any evidence to suggest 44 or people in general feel it is 44, then I will change it.
    Well, IMDB says '44, but other equally reputable places say '46. Someone toss a coin...
    :D
    Moore was 45 when he took over and I swear he looked ten years younger. But he did go downhill after his 53rd birthday.

I always assumed that Dalton was 41 in TLD so place his DOB at 1946...not so much his age but its his height that always got me with Dalts. He is 6-2 but he never looked that tall in his films. Maybe because his co- stars and ladies were pretty tall themselves.

Though 41 and with bushy eyebrows, overweight, and a bad fitting rug, Connery had clearly outgrown the part by DAF.
    Brosnan always looked good.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 238
    Laz always looked older than his 29 years
  • NicNac wrote:
    Will we ever go back to an actor in his early 30s?
    I'll be 30 next year [-O<

I have read this thread with interest but the formula appears to be a youngish actor who has proven himself. Look at last time Daniel Craig who had been very successful in The Ice House and Our Friends in the North.

I think Damian Lewis will be too old especially if Daniel Craig decides to do another Bond so the only option for me is Tom Hardy in the 35 - 40 age range. Michael Fassbender is too established. They usually go for an actor who is less established. Tom Hardy fits that bill for me but it could be argued he has become too established with Mad Max.

In that case I think a better option would be Rupert Friend from the Boy in the Striped Pyjames, Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont and currently Homeland.

I think Nicholas Hoult is a little too young at the current time.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 158
    I don't know what the big deal is about Roger Moore's age. I would have been happy for him to carry on playing Bond into his sixties. Look at Cary Grant in North by North West. He was mid 50s, but easily looked older than Moore in AVTAK. That movie is considered a masterpiece. It has 100% of rotten tomatoes and people do not say Cary Grant is too old. Then Grant played a similar action role in Charade four years later. The only problem, as has been mentioned, is Bond's age was never part of the script, but I see no reason why the CHARACTER of Bond cannot be older or younger, depending on the age or apparent age of the actor playing Bond.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Moore played Bond at such an old age because he didn't do any stunts. I'm sure DC is in good enough shape to play Bond for another ten years if it meant no more stunt work. BUT...that is NOT what DC is about; he is the most physically-involved actor of any of the Bonds. He won't do it if he can't do it right. Bless him.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Moore looked fine in his first two (most comparable to the others). I also liked his looks in TSWLM and Moonraker, though his age shows during certain moments but I didn't really mind. In FYEO, he could pass for a middle-aged man. In Octopussy, I bought him as a more veteran agent - and the fact that his supporting cast were also of similar age made everything fine. I think the reason people didn't like him in A View To A Kill is the contrast between his age and that of the supporting cast.

And with respects to the discussion about why people don't like Bond being in his 60's etc, it's not just that he looks old, but that the love scenes starting getting more and more uncomfortable. Moore himself admitted that the love scenes in AVTAK began to get disgusting.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Moore played Bond at such an old age because he didn't do any stunts. I'm sure DC is in good enough shape to play Bond for another ten years if it meant no more stunt work. BUT...that is NOT what DC is about; he is the most physically-involved actor of any of the Bonds. He won't do it if he can't do it right. Bless him.

I think Roger Moore would disagree about him not doing stunts. For example, I know that in every single Bond movie he definitely raised his own eyebrows.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Moore looked fine in his first two (most comparable to the others). I also liked his looks in TSWLM and Moonraker, though his age shows during certain moments but I didn't really mind. In FYEO, he could pass for a middle-aged man. In Octopussy, I bought him as a more veteran agent - and the fact that his supporting cast were also of similar age made everything fine. I think the reason people didn't like him in A View To A Kill is the contrast between his age and that of the supporting cast.

And with respects to the discussion about why people don't like Bond being in his 60's etc, it's not just that he looks old, but that the love scenes starting getting more and more uncomfortable. Moore himself admitted that the love scenes in AVTAK began to get disgusting.

I think Moore said that he quit Bond after he learned that he was older than Tanya Roberts' mother.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    NicNac wrote: »
    Roger Moore AVTAK 56/57
    Roger Moore OP 54/55
    Roger Moore FYEO 52/53
    Roger Moore MR 50/51
    Roger Moore TSWLM 48/49 =
    Pierce Brosnan DAD 48/49
    Daniel Craig SP 46/47
    Roger Moore TMWTGG 46
    Pierce Brosnan TWINE 45/46
    Roger Moore LALD 44/45
    Pierce Brosnan TND 43/44 =
    Daniel Craig SF 43/44
    Timothy Dalton LTK 42
    Pierce Brosnan GE 41/42
    Sean Connery DAF 40 =
    Timothy Dalton TLD 40
    Daniel Craig QOS 39/40
    Daniel Craig CR 37/38
    Sean Connery YOLT 35/36
    Sean Connery TB 34
    Sean Connery GF 33
    Sean Connery FRWL 32
    Sean Connery DN 31
    George Lazenby OHMSS 29

These are some interesting figures. So, if Crag does one more he will be the oldest Bond besides Moore? :-?
  • These are some interesting figures. So, if Crag does one more he will be the oldest Bond besides Moore? :-?
    Wow I guess so! It just never occurred to me.
    BUT, one of the Bond Girls was 50 in the last movie and he's in much better shape (sorry Roger). So Craig might be the one who could play 'older Bond' right!
    Not that 50 is old of course, but I mean Craig could be as old as Roger in AVTAK and be more believable.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If you count 007 Everything or Nothing in 2004 which was Pierce's last performance as Bond he was 51.
    Then Connery was in his 70's when he last played Bond in FRWL on PS2.
  • I'm not sure I'd count voice over work.
    Hell, by that logic, Adam West just played Batman again, aged 88! ;)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It means I am the same age as Dalton in TLD and Brosnan in GE.
    Consequently I realise I'm at the high point of my life now. After GE and TLD it can only go downwards as I long passed Lazenby's OHMSS age. Damn.
    It means I am the same age as Dalton in TLD and Brosnan in GE.
    Consequently I realise I'm at the high point of my life now. After GE and TLD it can only go downwards as I long passed Lazenby's OHMSS age. Damn.

I remember the days of being younger than Lazenby's Bond! That was certainly awhile ago. How time flies.
    Now I look forward to being Bogart's ages in Casablanca, and The Big Sleep. All my favorite actors as a kid were well into their 40s in my favorite films. Bogart, Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, etc, Even Superman George Reeves was in his 40's during most of the TV series.
    Of course, if one were to calculate the average age of Bond in all the films, I think it comes out to something like 43/44.
    By my calculation the average age is 43. It gets a bit trickier once you factor in those who had a birthday during filming.