What is your favourite Connery film? (Poll)

Comments

GF
    FRWL
    TB
    DN

YOLT

DAf
  • 1: Dr. No
    2: Goldfinger
    3: From Russia With Love
    4: Thunderball
    5: You Only Live Twice
    6: Diamonds Are Forever
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 163
    DN, when we were thrilled to see the Fleming's hero on the screen then.
    Dr No is connerys best bond film.
    FRWL,GF AND TB are not too far behind.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    FRWL

Classic sixties chic; an absolutely brilliant mix of espionage, romance, danger, sex, intrigue and dry, dead pan humour etc. Add to that a top notch Connery performance; for me Connery may well have delivered the greatest Bondian performance; suave, professional, poised, decisive, charming, virile and ruthless.

DN

Connery is a bit rough in some scenes, but it clears up by the time of FRWL. As for the film itself… Remember the old MI6, it had a topic about DR being boring or brilliant… Guess which one I chose…

TB

A truly epic film; simply stunning, propelled along by Connery’s uber coolness, and Paluzzi’s uber sexy, making their clashes of egos electric.

GF

Iconic… Still, it drags a bit from Kentucky to the beginning of the raid of Fort Knox

YOLT

Iconic; although it does go a tad OTT, at times…….

DAF

Meh………………
    F R W L
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    1. FRWL Always had a soft spot for this one. Perfectly cast.
    2. YOLT Cubby realised the Bonds had to change, had to get bigger, more spectacular in order to keep the competition at bay.
    3.DN Great, unpretentious, yet original (in 62) thriller
    4. TB Long, occassionally dull and confused. Yet easy to keep going back to.
    5. GF Connery is superb but GF has always lacked a little something
    6. DAF Not the worst Bond film, simply the worst Connery Bond. Bizarre mix of colour, camp and Connery.
    My favorite Connery film is by far Diamonds Are Forever. An all around superb Bond movie that has it all: eye-popping locations, crazy villains, terrific action, and great music. The only lacking bits are the girls and the finale.
    I'd rank the Connery movies as follows:

1. DAF
    2. TB
    3. FRWL
    4. YOLT
    5. DN
    6. GF
  • Goldfinger
    You Only Live Twice
    Thunderball
    From Russia With Love
    Dr No = Diamonds Are Forever
    Never Say Never Again
    My favorite Connery film is by far Diamonds Are Forever. An all around superb Bond movie that has it all: eye-popping locations, crazy villains, terrific action, and great music.
    @00Beast: The world would surely be a better place if there were more folks like you!

:-bd
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TB

A truly epic film; simply stunning, propelled along by Connery’s uber coolness, and Paluzzi’s uber sexy, making their clashes of egos electric.
    Couldn't agree more. Except TB is my pick for #1 spot.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    DAF is now #1 !! YOLT #2 and TB #3 !! :-bd
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 562
    My ranking of the Connery films more or less coincides with the order of their release.

1. Dr. No
    2. From Russia With Love
    3. Thunderball
    4. Goldfinger
    5. You Only Live Twice
    6. Diamonds are Forever
    7. Never Say Never Again
    DaltonCraig007 said:
    DAF is now #1 !!
    JBFan626 said: @00Beast: The world would surely be a better place if there were more folks like you!

Thanks guys! I was afraid I was the only one who felt DAF was Connery's finest hour!
    @DaltonCraig007: You had FRWL #1 before. Just curious what tipped the scale for you?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited June 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Nice revival of a thread this...

And a tough question. I guess it's between GF and YOLT for me. GF was, obviously, the first 'light' Bond film and set in so many ways the familiar traits of the formula that would be used many times over in the future. And, besides, it's simply iconic - one of the most iconic films ever made. However, Twice has held a fond place in my heart for a long, long time - and, seeing as it needs the votes, it's the one I've gone for here. ;)

FRWL is the best Connery Bond film though, no question...
  • When I was a kid GF was my #1 for a couple of years. After that DN, FRWL, and GF all bounced around from place to place in my top three. Now, Connery films only, this is how I rank them:

1. FRWL. Arguably the "best-made" of the Connery films; I could see people who aren't in any way Bond fans really liking it (a friend of mine called it the "intelligent" Bond film). Fantastic, intelligent plot, great cold war story, touch of exotic, and memorable characters on both sides - I hold Tania as one of the lovliest of all the Bond girls. Interesting to see this at a rep theatre with a bunch of university students who had never seen it before - the plot and Tania's true motivations kept them guessing until the end.
    2. GF. Possibly a sentimental favourite as it was the first Bond film I ever saw, at 11 years of age (on TV as a double feature with DAF). Connery was dangerous and charming, the humour embraced the fantastic elements of the film without mocking them, and some truly impressive gadgets at the time ("Oh, that wonderful car of yours!"). Goldfinger himself was a great, three-dimensional villian and I thought that the film actually managed to improve on Fleming by having the plot change from stealing (logistically impossible, as Bond pointed out) the gold to irradiating it. Incredible soundtrack and wonderful sound design in the Bond vs Oddjob fight in Fort Knox as well. Kudos for having the best Leiter as well, if he was a little bit too old.
    3. DN. Not a whole lot to it but wonderfully done. Great location work, great individual scenes, and some wonderful performances. a great example of when less is more. Firmly cements Connery as a screen presence to be reckoned with when he gets angry and demands that his handcuffs be removed - and Dr. No's flunky actually starts to do it!
    4. TB. So many wonderful things but the film seems a little overstuffed, slow, and long. Best one-liners of any Bond film, tremendous location shooting, gorgeous girls, and the scuba-diving seemed incredibly new and interesting at the time. Connery was at the top of his game here.
    5. YOLT. This to me is when the Bond films started to feel bloated and really slow. Connery phones it in (and has already gained 20 pounds over his last performance), the pacing is disjointed, and Blofeld seems like a charicature instead of a character (and that was BEFORE Dr. Evil!). Some great photography, one of Barry's best scores, and nice to see such an exotic location at the time. Love it or hate it the hollowed out volcano was a tremendous idea.
    6. DAF. Well, it's certainly more...lively. Cartoonish quality really sinks it for me and Connery is nearly unrecognizable as the screen icon from only 9 years before! Great title song, good score, and the oil rig is an interesting lair. A few great bits but not enough...
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    That's a good ranking Lordflasheart. Probably the same order I'd put them in aswell.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DaltonCraig007: You had FRWL #1 before. Just curious what tipped the scale for you?
    I watched DAF last night with a couple of friends - and the viewing was just fantastic !! A very good 2 hours eating chips and drinking some beers... and laughing at funny things... meaning laughing for 2 hours !! :-bd
    Well then, it doesn't get any better than that, does it?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    According to my current rankings:

1. FRWL
    2. GF
    3. TB
    4. DN
    5. YOLT
    6. DAF
    The Russia House is a great Connery film. He does more with his inflection, than all of the other Bonds put together....
    DAF.
    From russia with love. Great spy film
    YOLT
    GF
    TB
    DN
    DAF
    NSNA
    FRWL
    It's a toss up between Dr No and Russia as the first, Connery is the very epitome of Bond in his two earliest releases, but I'll go with Dr No, I just had more fun with it

#1 Dr No
    #2 Russia
    #3 Thunderball
    #4 You Only Live Twice
    #5 Goldfinger
    #6 Diamonds
  • My pick

1 You Only Live Twice - 1st I ever saw 1984/5 & still a family favourite as well
    2 From Russia With Love
    3 Thunderball
    4 Dr No
    5 Goldfinger
    6 Diamonds Are Forever
  • EmilioEmilio Palmyra, Nassau
    Thunderball forever
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FRWL with love. :)
    Thunderball over here too