Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BRUNO BRAZIL 4_LA CITE PETRIFIEE (1971) by Louis Albert (Greg) and William Vance.

Had only read parts of this as a kid.

Album or those Tempo re-releases?

The latter. Not as good as I remembered it. Probably one of the weaker entries.

How good is the print quality in these?

Pretty good, but not as good as Tempo in 1974, when they used glossy paper.

I see. Guess they use quite thick paper now? Have seen some bad print quality in more than a few releases in later years - especially stuff with a lot of dark colouring, and/or a lot use of black. Should probably try to get a few of these re-releases at some point. Back issues are available online too.

I have bought them all so far, twenty I believe, as there has been at least one series that has interested me in each. Same with the next one.

There are that many already? Will probably just buy those I find the most interesting. Alan Falk (Ric Hochet) and Bruno Brazil are the comics I'm looking to check out anyway.

They are both in the one out now.

Thanks! I'll look out for that issue! Do they publish the stories chronologically?

No. Except a few, Bruno Brazil and Comanche for instance.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,293
    BRUNO BRAZIL 4_LA CITE PETRIFIEE (1971) by Louis Albert (Greg) and William Vance.

I see. Guess they use quite thick paper now? Have seen some bad print quality in more than a few releases in later years - especially stuff with a lot of dark colouring, and/or a lot use of black. Should probably try to get a few of these re-releases at some point. Back issues are available online too.

I have bought them all so far, twenty I believe, as there has been at least one series that has interested me in each. Same with the next one.

There are that many already? Will probably just buy those I find the most interesting. Alan Falk (Ric Hochet) and Bruno Brazil are the comics I'm looking to check out anyway.

Thanks! I'll look out for that issue! Do they publish the stories chronologically?

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Tried to find both Ric Hochet and Bruno Brazil albums in English some years ago, as a few other titles have been made available in English recently. Nothing. Seems like the market for Franco-Belgian comics in English isn't really there.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Tried to find both Ric Hochet and Bruno Brazil albums in English some years ago, as a few other titles have been made available in English recently. Nothing. Seems like the market for Franco-Belgian comics in English isn't really there.

Check out Denmark.

Check out Denmark.

Good idea! I see there's a few used albums on Faraos Cigarer's webshop. Do you know any other Danish webshops by any chance?
    Sorry, no.
    Sorry, no.

Thanks anyway! Hopefully some albums will turn up eventually. Cinebook have some decent releases of other Franco-Belgian comics. Could probably just go ahead and get the Tempo albums too, but I guess the format is smaller than the usual album format?
    Sorry, no.

Thanks anyway! Hopefully some albums will turn up eventually. Cinebook have some decent releases of other Franco-Belgian comics. Could probably just go ahead and get the Tempo albums too, but I guess the format is smaller than the usual album format?

It is the same as most other re-issues, like The Phantom, Donald Duck and others. I am not too happy about what they publish, but they had a survey beforehand, so what to expect? Happy with some of it anyway.
    Sorry, no.

It is the same as most other re-issues, like The Phantom, Donald Duck and others. I am not too happy about what they publish, but they had a survey beforehand, so what to expect? Happy with some of it anyway.

Would've been great to have Tempo in album format/quality, but I guess that's too expensive. Hadn't heard they had a survey beforehand! I was about to write "they should do this more often", but I guess we'd see another re-release of sorts of Modesty Blaise etc. (again).

They should definitely release more Franco-Belgian comics. Jérôme K. Jérôme Bloche (Jerome K. Bloche here in Norway) - a favourite of mine, have only been released in The Phantom. I quit reading The Phantom some years ago, as I though the quality of the magazine had dropped. I think Cinebook started releasing the comic in English not that long ago. Softcover albums most likely.
    I want to see Gli Aristocratici, Flash Gordon, Domino, Series Without a Hero, Joe Fast FBI, Cannon, Smith and Wesson, Martin Keller, Tonga just to name some.
    Some interesting titles there! Haven't read many of them, though. Didn't they release a few albums of Gli Aristocratici in the eighties? I might be mistaken, but I think I have a used album. It might be in Danish, come to think of it.
    Some interesting titles there! Haven't read many of them, though. Didn't they release a few albums of Gli Aristocratici in the eighties? I might be mistaken, but I think I have a used album. It might be in Danish, come to think of it.

Only two were released.

Only two were released.

Just checked; the one I got is issue #2. Don' think I've read it yet!
    21145359405.jpg

Made in 1978, 1983 and 1995 respectively. This is high art as it usually is from Eisner, also critically acclaimed in litterary circles, which was something new for comic book artists.
    a-contract-with-god-0003.jpg?w=980&q=75
    A%20Life%20Force%202.jpg
    a-contract-with-god-0009.jpg
    img_3714.jpg?w=739
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    250px-Batman_thelonghalloween.jpg
    edited October 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Blueberry albums 18-20, Nez Case, La longue marche and La tribu fantome.

These are from the late 70s/early 80s and make up a trilogy within a larger narrative. Album 19 had escaped me for all these years, so it was great to finally get to read that. These are terrific stories, but the very best Blueberry albums remain no s 13-17.
    Fantagraphics book no 19

Donald Duck: The Black Pearls of Tabu Yama by Carl Barks.

Contains stories from 1957-58, plus one from 1974.
    Donald-Duck_Black-Pearls-3D.png
    Fantagraphics book no 19

Donald Duck: The Black Pearls of Tabu Yama by Carl Barks.

Contains stories from 1957-58, plus one from 1974.
    Donald-Duck_Black-Pearls-3D.png

Carl Barks was a genius. Have a few unread collection books of his Duck comics. Should probably give them a read soon.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    latest?cb=20080530010014
    LES AVENTURES DE TANGUY ET LAVERDURE 3: DANGER DANS LE CIEL (1963) by Charlier and Uderzo.

Uderzo s realistic work was just as good as his comedic.
    BARBE ROUGE 3: LE FILS DE BARBE-ROUGE (1963) by Charlier and Hubinon
    441723096_4-barbe-rouge-5-titres-disponibles.jpg

Decades since I last read this. The best pirate series.
    DEATH OF DRACULA (2010) by Gischler and Cammuncoli
    63646fa0f9984d00f0bb097b41889c6a.jpg
    Technically fine, but I didn t care for it.
    A bunch of these Wolfman/Colan stories from 1972
    801287.jpg
    Excellent.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    SCOOBY-TEAM-UP #43 featuring Scooby and The Doom Patrol! Great Stuff!

What he said! PS: This is Arnold Drake's DP, not Grant Morrison's. Not that there's anything WRONG with Grant Morrison's DP, mind you...
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Picked this up yesterday and saving it for the weekend!

7QAMCT246.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Doctor_Who_The_Seventh_Doctor_Operation_Volcano_TP.jpg.size-600.jpg

An all new adventure for the 7th Doctor & Ace, which reunites them with the Countermeasure Team (Grp Capt Gilmore, Prof Rachel Jenson & Allison) from Remembrance of The Daleks. Immediately upon turning to the first page, I was impressed with the art style. I have seen mixed results when it comes to capturing McCoys Doctor in illustrated form, this was one of the best examples. I don't know what it is about McCoy, but illustrators have trouble in capturing his likeness. Christopher Jones captured McCoys image per-fect-ly. His expressions, his ways of standing or observing things, I felt as though I were looking at freeze frame images of deleted scenes. The writing (by 1987-89 script editor Andrew Cartmel, and the Terrance Dicks to his Barry Letts, Ben Aaronovitch), was in tune with the era the comic was representing. I could hear the actors voices as I red the dialogue.
    Nice TARDIS console room too. Looks like a cross between the classic era TARDIS and the gorgeous work of art that was the 1996 TVM console room.
    That cover is just gorgeous.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It's a different style to how the story is inked, but is eye catching in a good way.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Picked this up yesterday and saving it for the weekend!

7QAMCT246.jpg

I loved it!

Finally got round to this (I was saving it for the bath) and yeah! So good. Wonderful sound effects, and I love the panel where
    Tracy disses Superman and Batman.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 3,564
    Bond fans will want to be aware: in Bettie Page Vol 2 #1 (just released from Dynamite Comics) the Queen of the Pin-Ups circa 1962 (when she was secretly acting as an agent for the U.S. governement) teams up with a British secret service agent named "Byrne, Thomas Byrne." You may find Mr. Byrne a bit familiar: drives an Aston Martin with some...optional modifications. He and Bettie run up against a UFO whose inhabitants have kidnapped Queen Elizabeth. Winston Churchill also makes an appearance. Just a word to the wise, for your eyes only...
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Can anyone help me? I’m helping my parents move and I found this in the attic. It’s mine from when I was a teenager, but I’ll be damned if I can tell whose signature that is. Is it Jim Lee, you think?

4fnsH3A.jpg