The Pierce Brosnan Era- Rankings

Comments

Deep down, I'm sure that Getafix loves Pierce Brosnan and his 4 films. He just tries to hide his feelings. Maybe he was educated to hate PB. But imo I'm sure Getafix's bedroom is full of Brosnan pictures on the walls.

Hahahahaha, it has to be true!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,341
    All you guys don't hate on Getafix. He has some good insight and I enjoy reading his posts. I usually agree with his comments.
    I feel that GE is Brosnan's top of the line Bond film and his movies progressively got worst after GE.
    Like Getafix, I prefer Brosnan in other roles just not as Bond. He seems weak and lightweight. Sean Bean would have made a better Bond. More screen presence, gravatas, etc. And yes, I could kick Brosnan's ass. :))
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    All you guys don't hate on Getafix. He has some good insight and I enjoy reading his posts. I usually agree with his comments.
    I feel that GE is Brosnan's top of the line Bond film and his movies progressively got worst after GE.
    Like Getafix, I prefer Brosnan in other roles just not as Bond. He seems weak and lightweight. Sean Bean would have made a better Bond. More screen presence, gravatas, etc. And yes, I could kick Brosnan's ass. :))

Yes he's a little puney side in GE but ironically he has two of the best fight scenes in that film

1. On the boat
    2. With Alec at the end

He has the kind of mythical good looks you would instantly notice if he walked into a room. Laz can suck it.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Yes he's a little puney side in GE but ironically he has two of the best fight scenes in that film

1. On the boat
    2. With Alec at the end

He has the kind of mythical good looks you would instantly notice if he walked into a room. Laz can suck it.

Actually Cubby was once asked "which Bond was the sexiest?" all Cubby said was (or words to this effect)
    "I'm no expert here but when George Lazenby walked into the offices, the secretaries would fall off their chairs".
    Lois Maxwell even mentioned how George had women "dropping in front of him life confetti".
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    "I'm no expert here but when George Lazenby walked into the offices, the secretaries would fall off their chairs".
    Lois Maxwell even mentioned how George had women "dropping in front of him life confetti".

Both of these quotes are also true for Connery, Moore, Brosnan and Craig.

Dalton is handsome, but not the level of the other 5.

Millions of people would 'drop like confetti' if any Bond actor were to be in the same room.
    @DaltonCraig007
    George Lazenby had an arrogant, over confident air about him. women find that very attractive. No surprise here.

Maybe that could be said for all Bonds but face it : Cubby was talking about GL and only GL.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    George Lazenby had an arrogant, over confident air about him. women find that very attractive.

I always thought those were bad qualities. Bloody women. Will never understand them!! (I'm bitter well before I should be)

(although I will admit Laz is very handsome but so is Broz)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,894
    I think the difference is that Lazenby was a mans man, Brosnan was a ladies man.

As for the ranking(s), i'll hold off until i've seen DAD in my Bondathon. I'll be watching GE in the next few days.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    George Lazenby had an arrogant, over confident air about him. women find that very attractive.

I always thought those were bad qualities. Bloody women. Will never understand them!! (I'm bitter well before I should be)

@Bain123
    No argument from me here. Never understand women. they claim to want a "nice guy" then end up with some jackass, thug, bad boy. I drove by the jail the other day and you would be amazed at the number of hot chicks you see leaving after visiting their husbands and boyfriends in jail.
    Go figure.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

@Bain123
    No argument from me here. Never understand women. they claim to want a "nice guy" then end up with some jackass, thug, bad boy. I drove by the jail the other day and you would be amazed at the number of hot chicks you see leaving after visiting their husbands and boyfriends in jail.
    Go figure.

Worringly you're probably much older than me (I'm only 26). I probably shouldn't say those things at my age 8-| 8-| 8-|

I should be bed-hopping like Lazenby did - but I'm just not "arrogant" enough :p
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    Sadly today it seems to be 'bed-hopping' like Sir Rog or Laz, you have to channel the attitude of the boys of 'One Direction'... they seem to be quite popular in the lady demographics.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ...I have my walls lined with pictures of Brosnan.

'Brosnanite' is what we call it? Count me in.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

@Bain123
    Go figure.

Worringly you're probably much older than me (I'm only 26). I probably shouldn't say those things at my age 8-| 8-| 8-|

I should be bed-hopping like Lazenby did - but I'm just not "arrogant" enough :p

To this, I say there is a definite line between confidence and arrogance. Confidence gets you bed hopping, not arrogance. And in my experience, women can tell the difference.

When I was younger and for example would walk into a bar because I wanted to party and prowl for women, I walked in like I owned the joint. Think of it this way- in nature, there are courtship rituals. The male bird for example struts, shows off his colors, vocalizes. Why? He wants to mate. Well, he's not going to mate if he doesn't interest the female by getting her attention. So he's gotta do something to get her looking. Humans really aren't that different. You have to have an air of confidence that will make a woman notice and become intrigued enough to talk to you, because if she won't talk to you, you're not going to get anywhere fast. Bond walks into a joint like he owns it, and that's one reason why women take notice. He has an air of confidence and a swagger about him. They are intrigued and want to know more.

Now, the next step is to understand the person you are talking to, so being a good listener is a big help. Women appreciate a man who listens to what they have to say, so many men don't get that nor do that. If she gives you her time, she expects to be the center of your attention and you better make her feel that way. You drone on too much about yourself initially, she may decide you're arrogant. You're toast if that happens. Fugeddaboutit. Move it along.

Being a good conversationalist and having a sense of humor is also a must. Having the "gift for gab" is ideal, but not the end of the world if you don't. You can work on that. The biggest stumbling block is often your attitude. If you get it in your head right from the start with women that you are going to fail, you will. And sometimes you will anyway but that's life. For every "yes" you'll get 2 or 3 who will say "no" and that also is life, so I always tried to interact with as many women as possible because that increases your chances. If she's not attracted to you right away or at all, then be fun and friendly and get her to talk to you. Nothing more may come of it right away with her, but it could later on because your personality may attract her. Other women will hear that you are a cool guy and they will want to talk to you. Now you've created other opportunities. She might introduce you to her friends. And one of her friends may like you and may be even more attractive, and better yet, the first woman is going to be on your side and speak well for you.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen beautiful, drop dead gorgeous women sitting alone all night at a bar because guys were afraid to talk to them. It could be fear of rejection. It could be lack of confidence or maybe they think that they must be taken. How did I find that out? By having the confidence to approach and talk to them. The other women there will notice that too, because you better believe that they notice each other. I can't tell you how many times I felt like Bond waking up on Goldfinger's plane thinking he was dreaming because I had the confidence to do what other guys were afraid to do. Beautiful women are often more lonely than guys think they are because of the conclusions guys draw about them.

Finally, I took the time to write this because these things I mention worked for me, and I want to help my fellow Bond brothers here if I can. I'm not a great looking guy like the Bond actors. But I wanted to have hot women of the kind that I saw Bond with since I was a kid. I was a high school loser until I was a senior. Not surprising. I had glasses and braces and was socially inept. I worked hard at improving how I looked with contacts and getting my braces off. On how I dressed, how I smelled, and how I interacted with people. My male friends who were successful gave me a lot of good advice, and my female friends as well. I built confidence and didn't let anyone, let alone myself, define what I could and couldn't accomplish. And I wound up accomplishing far more than I could have ever hoped for in terms of quality and volume. And the best thing of all I accomplished through all my experiences was winning the love of my late wife, who I miss beyond words. I wish you all happiness and much love in your life.

Wow...That's like post of the month :D

I wish you happiness too and I'm deeply sorry for your loss.
    I will never understand why TWINE is not the single Brosnan favourite.

I can understand where you are coming from, given the fact that everything seems to be in classy Bond order with TWINE, but I feel that GE and TND are a lot better. My reasons? Well for GE, it has superior villains, a better soundtrack, better characters with better scenes, better action sequences, and a darker atmosphere that feels a little more 007ish in my opinion. As for TND, it too has superior action sequences, and I enjoy the plot more than that of TWINE. However, I will say that TWINE is usually in my top ten or right outside in spot #11, so I still highly enjoy it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I really enjoyed TWINE. It has some issues and the plot slows down a bit too much towards the finale, and the climax is a bit dull. But it's got that fantastic PTS that leads into a very good first 2/3, and the overall concept of the story and the greater focus on Bond himself makes it stand out.

I can. It doesnt know what it wants to be a psychological study of the main villains or a dumb action blockbuster. So it falls between the two. Its a schizophrenic Bond film and has some very lumped direction and dodgy casting decisions.

Some of the casting sinks the film.

• Schizophrenic is a very good word indeed to describe TWINE. It's OK and certainly better than MR and DAD, but it could have been much better if they hadn't cast Richards, did more with Renard, and not made Elektra's villainy so freaking obvious. Watch TLD to see how to make a villain appear to be one of the good guys.
    I grew up with Brosnan's Bond, but I've always felt like his era was a huge missed opportunity. GE was great, the first half of TND was great, and TWINE overall was good (DAD is a whole different animal though). If more attention had been paid to the script and supporting cast I think there would be a largely different view towards him and his movies.

Movies
    1. GoldenEye
    2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    3. The World is not Enough
    4. Die Another Day
    (ironic, right?)

Bond Performance
    1. GoldenEye
    2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    3. World is not Enough
    4. Die Another Day

Main Villains
    1. Alec Trevelyan
    2. Elliot Carver
    3. Elektra King
    4. Gustav Graves

Henchmen
    1. General Ourumov
    2. Renard
    3. Xenia Onatopp
    4. Boris
    5. Stamper
    6. Miranda Frost

Girls
    1. Natalya Simonova
    2. Paris Carver
    3. Wai Lin
    4. Christmas Jones
    5. Jinx

Soundtracks
    1. GoldenEye
    2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    3. The World is Not Enough
    4. Die Another Day

Title Songs
    1. GoldenEye
    2. The World is not Enough
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies
    4. Die Another Day

Pre-Title Sequences
    1. GoldenEye
    2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    3. The World is Not Enough
    4. Die Another Day
    Schizophrenic is a very good word indeed to describe TWINE. It's OK and certainly better than MR and DAD, but it could have been much better if they hadn't cast Richards, did more with Renard, and not made Elektra's villainy so freaking obvious. Watch TLD to see how to make a villain appear to be one of the good guys.

I would say TWINE is worst then MR. MR has a cohesive story, granted the same story as Spy - but still a cohesive story. Its the humour which nobbles the film, while its the pseudo psychological codswallop which nobbles TWINE, They havent the writers or director and in some cases the actors to pull it off.

• edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    Schizophrenic is a very good word indeed to describe TWINE. It's OK and certainly better than MR and DAD, but it could have been much better if they hadn't cast Richards, did more with Renard, and not made Elektra's villainy so freaking obvious. Watch TLD to see how to make a villain appear to be one of the good guys.

I would say TWINE is worst then MR. MR has a cohesive story, granted the same story as Spy - but still a cohesive story. Its the humour which nobbles the film, while its the pseudo psychological codswallop which nobbles TWINE, They havent the writers or director and in some cases the actors to pull it off.

I was watching TWINE quite recently and just thought, in many ways, the action, is what ruins the film. Other than the boat chase most of the set pieces are just quite average and sometimes poorly executed.

The story itself though is actually quite good I think (I don't mind the psychological angle), and I do like the early scenes at the Scottish castle between Bond and M. Plus, the shot of Bond/Marceau skiing just before the chase to the John Barry-esque music is nice. Also there's the scene between M and Renard in the cells which I always liked: ("My executioner?" "Overpraised I'm afraid")

But the film as a whole just feels rather messy. Maybe it would have been better if the action post PTS had a bit more...umph and better pacing but unfortunately it doesn't.

As a whole its a really mixed bag for me at the moment. It used to be in the top half but its taken a bit of a dive in recent weeks/months.
    Movies
    1. GoldenEye
    2. The World Is Not Enough
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies
    4. Die Another Day

Bond Performance
    1. The World Is Not Enough
    2. GoldenEye
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies
    4. Die Another Day

Main Villains
    1. Alec Trevelyan
    2. Elliot Carver
    3. Elektra King
    4. Gustav Graves

Henchmen
    1. General Ourumov
    2. Renard
    3. Xenia Onatopp
    4. Miranda Frost
    5. Boris
    6. Stamper

Girls
    1. Natalya Simonova
    5. Paris Carver
    5. Wai Lin
    5. Christmas Jones
    5. Jinx

Soundtracks
    1. GoldenEye
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies
    4. Die Another Day

Title Songs
    1. GoldenEye
    2. The World is not Enough
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies
    4. Die Another Day

Pre-Title Sequences
    1. GoldenEye
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies
    4. Die Another Day
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

I was watching TWINE quite recently and just thought, in many ways, the action, is what ruins the film. Other than the boat chase most of the set pieces are just quite average and sometimes poorly executed.

The story itself though is actually quite good I think (I don't mind the psychological angle), and I do like the early scenes at the Scottish castle between Bond and M. Plus, the shot of Bond/Marceau skiing just before the chase to the John Barry-esque music is nice. Also there's the scene between M and Renard in the cells which I always liked: ("My executioner?" "Overpraised I'm afraid")

But the film as a whole just feels rather messy. Maybe it would have been better if the action post PTS had a bit more...umph and better pacing but unfortunately it doesn't.

As a whole its a really mixed bag for me at the moment. It used to be in the top half but its taken a bit of a dive in recent weeks/months.

I've always thought that the action was a highlight of The World is not Enough. I do agree that the action sequences following the pre-title sequence do not live up to what we got there, but I for one don't think they bring the movie down, not by any means. I've always been a big fan of the shoot-out in the underground bunker and the caviar factor battle. I really like those set pieces and thought that both of those battles were well executed and directed. The finale is also quite impressive, save for the pitiful fight between Renard and 007, which I won't even go into that. The only action sequence I might agree with you on this one is the ski chase, which I thought was too quick and lacked substance. There were explosions and gunfire, yes, but it wasn't put together well, I didn't think.
  • actonsteve wrote:

=)) Codswallop is such a great term! We used to have a hilarious Moore die hard here named Scashy who used to say that. Thanks for the laugh Steve!

At least TWINE, short of Brosnan straightening his tie underwater, doesn't insult anyone above the age of 10 with all the sight and sound gags. While poorly written for what it tries to do, for me it makes a better attempt at being a James Bond movie. MR is Matt Helm, just bigger and better produced. Not that I'm going to exactly praise TWINE. I rate that one at #20 and MR #21.

00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

I've always thought that the action was a highlight of The World is not Enough. I do agree that the action sequences following the pre-title sequence do not live up to what we got there, but I for one don't think they bring the movie down, not by any means. I've always been a big fan of the shoot-out in the underground bunker and the caviar factor battle. I really like those set pieces and thought that both of those battles were well executed and directed. The finale is also quite impressive, save for the pitiful fight between Renard and 007, which I won't even go into that. The only action sequence I might agree with you on this one is the ski chase, which I thought was too quick and lacked substance. There were explosions and gunfire, yes, but it wasn't put together well, I didn't think.

The ski chase is let down by it's lack of pacing and rather obvious use of stunt doubling at times (I do like some indvidual shots though and Brosnan's "see you back at the lodge" is funny). The caviar factory battle is let down by the blatant model shots.

Bond Performance

1.TWINE
    2.DAD
    3.TND
    4.GE

Movies

1.TND
    2.TWINE
    3.GE
    4.DAD

Main Villains

1.TND
    2.GE
    3.TWINE
    4.DAD

Henchmen

1.GE
    2.TND
    3.TWINE
    4.DAD

Girls

1.GE
    2.TWINE
    3.TND
    4.DAD

Soundtracks

1.GE (Goldeneye)
    2.TND (Surrender)
    3.TWINE
    4.DAD

Pre-Title Sequence

1.GE
    2.TWINE
    3.TND
    4.DAD
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837

I love TWINE. I think it has a nice mix of seriousness and emotion as well as all the classic Bond stuff and some great action scenes, and I don't understand why people rank it low.
    @BAIN123: Blatant model shots? I never really cared about that, in fact I overlook it sho much I'm having to rack my brain now just to understand what you mean, hahaha. When it comes to the caviar factory battle, I let the action take over and sweep me away! Hahaha.
    I'm probably being a bit harsh to be fair. I do like the BMW bit in that scene.

GE probably had the best action. One of my favourite moments from the Brosnan era (and indeed the series) is the shot of bond and Natalya sprinting from the train as it blows up.