SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Greg's name must remain present - I too insist. But I'm curious to see where we can take this thread from here. I will, I promise, participate on a more regular basis. :-)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Might we drop Skyfall Revisit from the title ?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I do want SirHenry's name forever on this thread; it's his masterpiece. I just need the rights to the thread so I can edit the title to say the current topic we are discussing ... pretty please. And thanks, guys. :)

OK, the mods are helping me. And the title will be modified shortly. And then it will be changed again this week, maybe as soon as tomorrow, as we do move on to our next topic.

It looks so far that we will be going with suggestion #1 to start. Keep in mind, we shall just do them one by one. So I will give this overnight to finalizing voting on the suggested topics - and then start the new topic discussion tomorrow - if everybody can wait another 12 hours. Thanks!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Someone is onto that then @4EverBonded? I mean, sorting it out so you can take charge of the titles?
    Let me know if you need anything regarding that.
    Thanks to Dimi the title thread is changed - and thanks for offering, NicNac! I just got to Dimi first.

OK,just bumping my list of suggested topics so voting can continue while I am sleeping, which is shortly. ;)

So - to everyone who enjoys this thread - let's decide what to do next.
    Here are my suggestions. Please comment on these, and also tell us if you have a different suggestion about what you'd like to do next on this thread:

1) Discuss your very favorites; maybe your top 2 or 3 Bond films and why they are your favorites. As CommanderRoss suggested: cover the high points of a film. I'd like to cover the high points of my top 2 or 3 favorite Bond films, what really makes them shine for me, why they are my favorites. (NOTE: I think we can do this, share what we really love about them, and have discussion about the films without deteriorating into a pro or bash any particular Bond. This thread has always had good discussion and does not get easily derailed. I hope that continues!) Maybe do the highs first, then we could tackle the low points of a few films. Top 2 films? Top 5? What would be best to tackle?

2) Discuss an era (by Bond)- Sean's films, for example. What we like and don't like about his particular Bond films. I do want to do this at some point. It would take some time, but I'd enjoy that. How about you?

3) Discuss briefly what you were doing in your life during the time period of your favorite Bond film. Just a nostalgic look back; that might be fun to share.

4) Discuss the films by director. Tamahori and Forster alone would give us plenty to slam talk about.

5) Discuss the theme songs - all of them; what you liked or did not like about them.

6) Discuss the films compared to the novels. But not everyone has read them, so I hesitate to do that next.

I am completely open to other suggestions, but I'd like for us to really decide, hopefully like tomorrow[EDIT], what to do next. This thread exists still because of all of you- Thanks for being a part of this and for helping carry it forward into 2014, 2015, Bond 24, and beyond.
    :)>-
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    They are all good suggestions @4EverBonded. I would be most excited for 2 and 4 but we might as well go down the list.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I agree with pachazo, may as well go down the list as you have set it out.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Yes from me as well let's go down the list .
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    The first four are excellent topics, so I'd be happy to start with for any of them. As other users have suggested, perhaps we go through the topic list?

Let's give it up for @4EverBonded, who is continuing this stellar thread in a way I'm sure SirHenry/Greg would have been proud.
    I am partial to topics 1 and 3 in particular. But like Pachazo says we can just go down the list in order.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Where each person was with their lives for each Bond film would be even more interesting to me.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I hope I'm not too late for the voting :) I think both number 1 or number 3 are good places to start but I think option number 5 would give us a lot to talk about ;)
    OK, folks - waking up now, and happy to get us started discussing new topics. Thanks to all who voted!
    We shall start with Suggestion #1. Please keep in mind we will do the other suggestions, also. I am thinking we can stay on a topic for about a week (can certainly continue a little longer if folks are still participating). Without further adieu, let's begin: I am really looking forward to learning more about your favorite Bond films! ;;)

For Tues., February 17th through Monday, February 24th~
    #1) Your Favorite Bond Films
    (Please choose 1 to 3 films that are your consistent favorites):

I will write up a short piece about one of my all-time favorite Bond films, The Spy Who Loved Me, soon. In the meantime (I am literally just waking up;need my tea and nut bread ...) please feel free to dive in and start sharing!
    This can be done any way you like: bullet points, one paragraph, several paragraphs - let us know your favorite Bond film(s) and why it is your favorite. What makes it shine for you and continue to be a favorite of yours?

The Spy Who Loved Me (always in my top 10!) :x
    http://jamesbondposterpage.com/bach2b.jpg (one of my fav photos)

I enjoyed this film in the threatre (I was about 20 yrs old) and I enjoy it nearly just as much today. Why?
    For me, it has much of what I love about a Bond film. (And now I am going to quote a bit from my lengthier review earlier on this thread, edited somewhat):

~ It is one of the few I watch again and again and again. This film is a very fun ride - stunning locations, great action, spectacular sets, fine music, and the consistent fine quality is evident everywhere.
    ~ Everything is wonderfully designed - sets, wardrobe, gadgets (underwater car!), Ken Adams' and Peter Lamont's fine contributions; everything was first class. Money was well spent on this movie.
    ~ There is a lot that is memorable: a very memorable henchman (Jaws is still one of the most memorable, love him or hate him and most like him in this one), a story line that I liked, and a nice warm chemistry between Moore and Bach. And I liked Bach very much in this film. And of course great, rollicking, fun action that doesn't ever get stale.
    ~ The great PTS (my personal favorite) set things off on the right note and set the tone. That ski jump was so exciting and fun - and for me the movie just moved along those lines for the whole film - exciting and fun.
    ~ Some serious moments (that I thought Moore played well), some silliness, yes but overall it made me feel more than ever that James Bond is cool and can do things you or I only dream of doing ... yet for 2 hours or so in a theatre we can go along with him for the ride.

That's my take on it, albeit briefly. I love immersing myself in TSWLM - spectacular locations, memorable gadgets; a confident, relaxed, charming, and thoroughly strong Bond with a great Bond girl; fine supporting actors; lovely music; and it is well paced, too. After TMWTGG, which for me was a bit of a disappointment, I feel that Roger Moore stepped up and really made Bond his own with this film. I give him 5 out of 5 stars for Bond in this one and FYEO.

I like The Spy Who Loved Me so much because I feel like it is a great, fun adventure filled with beautiful and exotic things, such nice chemistry, good music - the whole package is sparkling and forever Bond for me. And I still, to this day, enjoy going along for this particular ride with Bond. I think I always will.

There is my first go. Your turn. Cheers! :-bd

NOTE: We are just sharing what we love about our very favorite Bond films.
    Please do not turn this into a lengthy critique of TSWLM or go into a lot of detail about why you did not like it (you can say you don't like it, that's fine). This is a time to share our favorites. Looking forward to reading about some of your very favorite Bond films and why you love them so much.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Okay, I'm back
    My favorite Bond film remains:
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE

I have always had a soft spot for this one. Maybe I am biased because it was the first film I saw when it was newly released into theaters in Dec 1969. (I had seen the first four on return screenings in 1966 and 1968 and I missed YOLT entirely)

Dick Maibaum has called this script the best Bond script he ever wrote.

I liked the fact that the movie has the best soundtrack.

It has a girl who actually has a charactrer arch. Tracy starts out as this vulnerable suicidal girl and by the end she is kicking Blofeld's henchmen asses.

This was the first film to have action on the ski slopes (something i can't help feeling about the films nowadays is that I have this feeling of been there, done that but as you originals know, early on each film was unique and had something new to thrill us)

Bond having to rely on his fist and wits to get out of jam. No convinient gadget to save the day. Note that he does not even have a gun when he arrives at Piz Gloria.

Colorful characters: Tracy, Draco, Irma Bunt, Guenther, and of course Blofeld. I like the fact that Blofeld actually takes part in the dirty work himself in this film. He dons a pair of skis and is involved in the moonlight ski chase after Bond escapes. And of course, his fight with Bond on the bobsleigh. Classic.

The downbeat ending. That ending was quite a jolt when audiences saw it back in 1969 and it helped to make this Bond film, a cult classic.

I was glad to see my favorite film getting the love it deserved after 30 years. It felt good to see it place a strong 4th in the Mi6 survey that ranked the films prior to Skyfall's release last year. Entertainment Weekly survey placed it at number 6.

Thanks for sharing this, @OHMSS69! It's great to read about your fav Bond film.
    Good show!

I heartily concur about Tracy! And so wonderfully played by Diana Rigg.
    I didn't quite realize about the "action on the ski slopes" being first in this one, but it is a great one for snow scenes, isn't? Thanks for pointing that out.
    To this day, I want Bond in snow at least at some point during a Bond movie. I am hopeful for Bond 24, that he will be back in action on the slopes in some way.

Yes, the film has garnered much more appreciation over the years. I guess I could have really been Sherlock and guessed your fav film from your username ... but I wasn't that quick on the uptake. ;)

Plenty of others love this film, too.
    Looking forward to checking this thread throughout my day to see which other Bond films our members feel are their very favorites and why.
    What a great post, @Birdleson - thanks! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on Goldfinger. This was SirHenry's favorite film, too.
    I remember drive-in movies, but I didn't see any Bond films at a drive-in. It would have be fun, though! I did not have any Bond toys as a child - I would have loved to have had some. You have some really great memories. I look forward to all your future posts, too.
    Birdleson wrote:
    I think we should keep it like this. We can each go on about our favorite, then, when it seems that the bulk of us have gone, we can run through everyone's second favorite. then so on through our top 3 or 5 or 10 or what ever number we decide to cap it at.

I dunno. Maybe we should just stick to our favorite film and not bother with our second or third for that matter. Whatever people choose to do. Then we can move on to the second topic on 4EverBonded list.

Well, we shall see. Offhand, I think we go thru favorite films - you can talk about one or two, even three of them in this first new group of topics. For this week. Then I'd like to move on to topic #2. So feel free to post again this week about another favorite Bond film, not in any order - I sure am: From Russia With Love. But I cannot do it now. We don't have to have everyone list one film then another round. Just post as you will, about one to three favorite Bond films anytime this week. Okay?

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My favourite, The Living Daylights, gives us a serious Bond in the early Connery tradition, but with some lighter Moore moments & a Dalton twist.
    Unlike Connery, Dalton gave us a Bond of unexpected intensity in the moment, not the super suave, super spy, but a man, very good at his job even though that job was eating away at him. Grounded in reality, it still gave us flashes of the fantastic. And the romantic was very romantic- no bit*h slap in sight. John Barry was up to near OHMSS heights, and that Aston was my personal favourite. Add to that a non-CGI fight on a cargo net outside a plane, and it all adds up to medium-Bond-budget perfection for me. And I like my Bonds best without astronomical budgets as that seems to push creativity rather than sheer spectacle.
    I do love The Living Daylights, @chrisisall. And it has that more realistic edge for sure - Dalton was amazingly good - but it also had a strong romantic streak that I personally really appreciated. I thought it was very well done indeed. Lovely music, too. Nice to see it as one of your favorites. I remember leaving the theatre with my friend, both of us very happy about this film and Dalton in particular.

And how I love that first intro to Dalton, that close up when he is climbing the cliff! I do like to watch this one often, too.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 2,341
    @chrisisall
    TLD is a good movie and it introduced us to Timothy Dalton and his more serious take on Bond. It is not without humor but Dalton quickly showed what a strong screen presence he possessed. In essence, his first close up in the PTS and his first scenes with John Rys Davies. Despite some light hearted humor, (carry over from 12 years of Moore)the film is grounded in reality and has a strong Cold War theme.
    The fight with Necros hanging on that cargo net is a high point. All the fights are realistically staged and violent especially Necros' kitchen fight and Dalton's fight during the PTS as well as his fight with the brutal jailer in the airbase brig.
    I was never a huge fan of the gadgetry. They have their place but I think they should be discarded. I did like the Aston Martin and like GF, the Aston Martin is cool but soon destroyed. The other gadget, the keyring is simple smart and realistic.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    My favourite is From Russia With Love. I love everything about it: the intrigue plot, the title (love it! love it!), the song (I admit to singing it in the shower), Great Villains, Great Allies, Great Locations, Connery at his best, ... do I need to go on? I think that film had it all and that is why he remains my #1 choice :-bd
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Great to see your praise for all those films so far, especially OHMSS, which happens to be my favourite as well. GF is up there, too.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    FAVOURITE BOND FILM(S)
    Although I got into Bond by going to see Goldfinger with my mate (who persuaded me to go because he'd seen it before and there was a naked lady in it!), my favourite Bond film is (and probably always will be) From Russia With Love. Because to me this film captures Fleming so well, but also remains truly cinematic. Sean is comfortable in the role and would never be better - by Goldfinger and Hamilton's turning him into a SuperSpy he would never again be as close to Fleming's ideal as here - and just oozes cool. Taking Fleming's best book and building on the solid start with the excellent Dr No, Terrance Young and the producers gave us a brilliant film that other Bond's strive to be. The introduction of gadgets - to further the story and not the other way round, the brilliant supporting cast, location, villains, allies and of course women were all spot on. It's a film I never tire of watching and even today it still looks fresh.
    It also has one of the best fights ever put on film - not just in a Bond film but any film.
    The only other Bond that comes close is On Her Majesty's Secret Service, which is my Number 2, and I can't really see that changing either.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Yes, that's right @Birdleson. You should join in to and share your thoughts.
    I meant review the films, one at a time if you can using the template others have. I would love to hear your thoughts.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Right then, From Russia With Love is my favourite Bond film. From Russia With Love is a perfect James Bond film; right from the start it is an unadulterated joy; the locations are stunning and claustrophobic, all at the same time; Young's direction is assured and exquisite, full of effortless chic; Hunt's editing is kinetic; the screenplay is full of danger, intrigue, romance and complexity, put together with care and class, and it's enlivened by the peerless cast, most notably, of course, Sean Connery as the masterful, impeccable James Bond, and for me Connery may well have delivered the greatest Bondian performance; suave, professional, poised, decisive, charming, virile and ruthless, and has a great sense of savoir-faire. Connery represents the ideal blend of both the cinematic Bond, and the literacy 007.

But, as I'm feeling all nostalgic, and what not, I'll include my former favourite, the controversial, The World Is Not Enough. I just don't why this film has such a bad reputation round these parts. Surely my sentimental feeling towards this film (it was my first time seeing Bond on the big screen), has blinded me to the obvious? 

Sophie Marceau is sexy and seductive, Robert Carlyle evokes genuine pity, and The Brozz turns in a supremely elegant and dangerous performance as Bond, plus the overall premise is inspired and all the Bondian attributes abound and in novel fashion. 

Now in light of objectivity, I shall point out some of the film's flaws...

The more emotional nature of the script allows for some unintentional melodrama. (Primarily the scene between Bond and M in Scotland and the scene where Bond confronts Elektra.). I always imagined Bond being more still, in the two aforementioned scenes. Brosnan is too animated in those particular scenes. Fleming wrote that Bond is precise in his movements, decisive and economical. He wouldn’t have acted like that. Just my two cents worth.

It sounds like I'm being too hard on The Brozz, but he's my childhood Bond, and he carries a special place in my heart. To balance out, then, here are some moments in which Pierce Brosnan is just so smegging cool;

The ways he takes out the goons in the Banker's office
    Sorting out the heavy, gaining access to Zukovsky's office
    During the buzz-saw helicopter attack, Bond opens a trap-door, pushes a goon away, and fires straight up, through the floor, to a second goon.

The other major weakness is the staid direction of Michael Apted - this is the first time I was not overly impressed by the director - even Lee Tamahori, in the first part of Die Another Day anyway, showed more drive and inventiveness. Also I can't believe that Apted didn't, in the two aforementioned scenes, call Brosnan to rein it in a bit. 
    Yes, thank you. I saw that one, read it and enjoyed it very much. The others are, obviously, was what I am referring to.