SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The best thing about the Eighties to me: Luke Skywalker got to say goodbye to his Father, and I got to say goodbye to my virginity.
    The worst: AIDS getting away from them, the Iran-Contra mess.
    Olympics of the 19980's
    After the boycott of the Moscow games in 1980 we were treated to some great memories in 1984 and 1988 . Hated to see the East Bloc boycott the 84 games. Half the fun was watcning our atheleths beat the Russians and Cubans especially.

How can we forget that beautiful song by the Voice of the decade, Whitney Houston.
    The image of Flo Jo and our women 400x4 relay team kicking ass
    Carl Lewis the fastest human.
    Evelyn Ashford

@chrisisall : AIDS coming to the forefront with Rock Hudson's reveal in 1985...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Indeed, Whitney Houston with such a gorgeous voice!
    Whitney was a star who had major talent; such a lovely voice.
    It is so sad her daughter is in the headlines now, in such a tragedy.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The 80's. The decade I discovered James Bond, amongst certain other things. :-t
    I fondly remember it for my introduction to Octopussy, and the Moore films in general. And then later Connery, Lazenby, and toward the end of the 80's, Timothy Dalton.
    Add to that some unforgettable music. Was always a big fan of Madness myself.

TV shows like Knight Rider, Airwolf, Dallas and this...

If you weren't home on a Saturday afternoon when this was on, then your life was pretty quiet.
    Yep the 80's were a great time to grow up. At least they were for me.

And this:18992224.jpg
    This is for Benny ...

(if I can get it to work ... no regular url available; let's just try the link)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu82ii_rita-coolidge-all-time-high-from-octopussy_shortfilms

Thank you dear Jackie, you know me too well. ;)
    Don't I, though? ;;)

My final post for this decade will be this one. Leaving with you a bit from one of my favorite films (you can watch the whole thing on youtube, if you'd like):

Harrison made some great, great films, didn't he?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Blade Runner is an absolute classic. I remember it got rave reviews in 82, but it was not a big hit with audiences. Like so many other great films.
    Blade Runner is an absolute classic. I remember it got rave reviews in 82, but it was not a big hit with audiences. Like so many other great films.
    That was a movie I saw over & over in the theatre. I was sad when it left.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    That was a movie I saw over & over in the theatre. I was sad when it left.

One of the few truly great films to come out of America post 1980.
    I literally wore out my first Vestron videotape!
    @4EverBonded, This will also be my final post on the 80's: Remember "The A Team"
    Seeing that picture from the A team made me think of this one. I remember back around 1985 reading a newspaper article on the A Team. This critic was so down on the show but he was surprised how (and his words) no one would admit to watching this hour of television but the show was always in the top Ten.

The writer went on to say this and I will paraphrase:
    "The show is violent. Every week the A team shoots up hundreds and hundreds of rounds of ammo and never draw blood. The villains are just as inept, they shoot up thousands of rounds of ammo and much to the chagrin of the critics never kill an A Team member."
    :))
    LMAO when I read this and I never forgot it.
    Thanks Originals for endulging me.
    A- Team was good, but when I think 80's TV, this comes to mind first:

air.airwolf0.jpg
    Waking up now, sedately drinking my first tea of the day ~O) humming along to myself ("Chariot Choogle") and come here to see that oh, @Birdleson has written something about his time following The Dead. Great. :)

I dive in and start reading ... and ohmygodthatissuchafrickin'fantastictotallyimmersiverockconcertexperience and basically - lucky you! And thanks so much for sharing. The way you wrote, it was quite vivid in my mind, picturing your little adventure. That was an adventure all right. More than a rock concert - although the concert sounded like it was amazing - this was a look at what many people experienced at concerts (in the 60's and 70's, too, may I add). And to know that this was just one of many somewhat similar experiences you had - what can I say? I'm glad you're still with us, tripping along (in a different way these days), still rocking, and still a major MAJOR rock n roll and James Bond fan. Thanks sincerely for giving us a peek at that particular time in your life, Birdleson. I, for one, really enjoyed reading that.

My personal experiences are, in comparison, beyond boring and I don't feel there is anything I can contribute further really, in that regard. Although I looked like a rock groupie for most of the 70's (true, I did), it only went so far as looks and style. ;)

So today we are moving on ... new topic coming in about 30 minutes ... :)>-

And yes, that is amusing, @OHMSS69. Made me laugh, too. And you are such a part of this entire thread; thanks for continuing to join us here.

Cheers! :-bd
    Shhh ...that's really on the down low ... so, I'll be skipping along now ... ;)
    edited February 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Drug stories from the 80's...

I was at a NYC Star Trek convention in a Luke Skywalker costume & a dude offered me a few hits on a joint & I accepted not wanting to seem the square (there were a few friends of mine partaking), and as it was my first try, I felt no effect whatsoever. I apologized for not getting why it was supposedly 'the good stuff' and began to walk off to find a good deal on a hand phaser in the dealer's room when I noticed the pattern on the hotel carpet. It was crazy! Just ridiculous. I started laughing out loud.
    The other dudes laughed at me.
    It made me laugh more.

My inner control freak later concluded that this was not the thing for me.
    I bought a phaser the next day.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    If I only I had been there to push you in the right direction.
    You enabler!
    :))
    edited February 2015 Posts: 12,459
    When I move back to the U.S., we should all get together for a ... cup of tea. Yes, that would be brilliant! I'll bring some matcha, and @Birdleson you can bring whatever you are partaking these days, and @chrisisall please bring your best mountain climbing sports drink. :D We'll have a lovely, mellow time together, I'm sure.

For the next few days, let's take on a much shorter topic and have fun with:

3 to 5 Reasons why Austria is Perfect for SPECTRE

Here are mine, to start us off (in no particular order):

1. SNOW!! Just as a change of pace as well as giving us some breathtaking scenery. Yes, Bond has not had extended time in snowy landscapes since OHMSS. You say the film won't be set in Austria for as long as that? That's fine with me, as long as it is more than we got in TWINE and at least as lovely as we had in OHMSS. I've been dreaming of a snowy Bond locale for years. And with snow and cold, I am hopeful for a cozy, romantic rug-in-front-of-fireplace encounter. That's on my wish list anyway.

2. If we couldn't have Norway (still a little piece of my heart torn over that), perhaps Austria is the next best locale. Why? Just look at the wonderful Austrian actors Mendes got (it's fate, I'm telling you), the scenery, and that amazing very cool Bondian building at the top of that mountain. It does not have to be connected with the organization known as SPECTRE (but it well could, of course) - but it sure has a great Bondian look to it, like some of the amazing places in older Bond films. It has presence, that building. So glad it is in this Bond film.

3. Gorgeous & stylish winter outfits: Monica Belucci/Lea Seydoux in gorgeous winter outfits/Daniel Craig in stylish winter outfits and gear. I don't need to see a tux in this one - even without it, SPECTRE will offer us different, and I'm sure very appealing, fashion for Bond and all the ladies involved. (Mind you, I wouldn't sneer at a tux, I'm just saying I wouldn't miss it.)

3. Action sequences and stunts in snowy mountainous terrain. No, I have not read any script, but how could they not? Those slopes are just begging to be used as only Bond can use them. And come to think of it, I'll bet there's not a puff pastry rolling around anywhere. ;)

4. Hoyte van Hoytema - I can't wait to see how he films this particular location! A different pallette of colors and lighting, quite a different location and atmosphere than Skyfall.

5. Some nod to OHMSS - hopefully the intended nods, probably more than one, will be subtle enough (just my preference). And I'm sure Bond fans will read many more nods and tributes into this film anyway. There can't help but be some similarities due to the scenery.

Austria! The hills are alive all right ... with two of the most stunning Bond girls, Bond looking fantastic (from what I've seen that is not an exaggeration) and in uber cool stealth mode, and plenty of great action sequences (I can just feel it!).

So please joins us with Your Top Reasons Why Austria is perfect for SPECTRE.
    At least 3, please; no more than 5.

Cheers!
    Is it that Austria is perfect or is it the snowy locals that has us all warm and fuzzy inside?

As we know OHMSS was the first and IMO the only one that utilized extensive snow covered locales. Sure we had a tease with that breathtaking stunt in TSWLM, and we saw Roger don skis and do his thing in FYEO, PTS of AVTAK and Pierce even got a taste in TWINE but face it, these snow sequences all pale in comparison to OHMSS.
    The cinematography, the ski chases (two of them and one by moonlight), the car chase on snowy roads, the bob sleigh fight and finally the battle at Piz Gloria.

I am just turned on more by the snow. I suppose Scandanavia, IceLand, even parts of Russia would have served just as well.

Craig on skis? Now that I gotta see! Laz and Brozza were graceful as heck, and Moore did not do too badly but can you imagine the blunt and brutal Craig gracefully skiing across the screen. :))

I'm sure the ladies will be just a attractive in their winter outfits. I think it will be a good change of pace and should make SP stand out from the three films that preceeds it.

Well, I would have been happy enough with other snowy landscapes, too - however, that very cool building is unique to that one mountaintop in Austria. I do think it is very cool indeed (no pun intended).

Craig on skis, @OHMSS69? Maybe - but he does not have to ski himself to have some great action sequences happening; they could get around that. I'm curious as to what will develop (yet I don't want any major spoilers!!). I think you are right about this being a good change of pace, quite different from the other films in the Craig era and indeed for some time.

I'm so looking forward to the cinematography in this film and I think Austria will be a highlight. :-bd
    This building:

10914501_1374570052848762_1953586693_n.jpg
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 3,564
    My apologies to all for being AWOL the last few weeks, personal matters blah blah blah. I enjoyed @Birdleson's story of a long, strange trip with the Dead and Dylan...I saw that pairing in the SF Bay Area (Oakland Coliseum, maybe? I forget...) and wasn't particularly impressed. They didn't really seem in sync to me. Still, any follower of the Dead knows that they could be very uneven performers, some nights they were awesome and others not so much. Maybe it was just a question of the quality of the drugs you happened to find that night. Anyway, I thought Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers were a much more appropriate backup band for Dylan when I saw that pairing in Berkeley...

Anyway, the '80s were a fabulous time for me personally & professionally, but politically: ewwww... I'm a little surprised that no one here seems willing to defend Saint Ronnie now, back in the day it seemed that he could do no wrong as far as 3/4 of the population was concerned. Would someone...preferably somebody who voted for the guy back in the day...care to explain to me the appeal that he obviously had for some people at the time?

And as far as Austria goes? Obviously, skiing sequences are way more exciting in a Bond film than scuba diving scenes. Think OHMSS vs. TB ... or FYEO vs FYEO. It's been a while since we had a nice snow sequence in a Bond film...all the way back to TWINE, if my memory serves. About time we were back in the snow again. Maybe if I get a few days to think about it, I can get into a long discussion regarding Fleming's espionage experiences against the Nazis, and how that translates into Austria being a wonderful setting for a Bond adventure...
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 3,564
    I registered Republican in 1980 just so I could vote AGAINST Ronnie in the Republican primary. And yes, I loved the Dead too. I've got a CD copy of the very first Dead show I ever saw (January 2, 1972 at Winterland) and it still holds up.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The Alps are always a good locale and Austria's a wonderfull country. Used to go there more often on holiday, but those were walking summer holidays. Still, high up there's always snow.

I obviously was too young to vote in the eighties and as European still not eligeable, but on averidge Republican Presidents get not much support over here, as for us even Democrats are rather right wing.
    How nice that you've been to Austria, @CommanderRoss. I would love to go there someday. It really seems that much of it is lovely.

I'll give 2 more reasons why Austria is perfect for this next Bond film:

1) Craig's Bond deserves to de-stress and unwind with a great cup of coffee and some sachertorte after all he went through in Skyfall, maybe with a little Mozart playing softly. Although ... come to think of it, he may prefer a certain kind of martini, with a lovely female for company, preferably while lying on a (fake) fur rug in front of a crackling fireplace with said female (and the Stones' sexy "Gimme Shelter" softly mesmerizing in the background). ;)

2) Craig's Bond is always up for a challenge, and he improvises well. Using a digger to attack the train (PTS Skyfall) being one example. Nothing stops this Bond. I don't think skiing, sledding, tobogganing, or any other snowy action will be a deterrent for Craig's Bond. In fact, I think the opposite. I can hardly wait to see what action develops in this wintry, snowy landscape.

Those are my final thoughts on Austria, so let's now move on to ...

Bond's Roman Holiday -

Top Reasons why Rome is perfect for SPECTRE -

Here are 3 I can think of at this moment:

1) Italy is amazing - a cinematic and photographic delight, historic, charming, ebullient, complex, and tantalizing. We have seen Bond in Italy, yes, but not any real length of time in Rome. Rome, the Eternal City, with so many historic sites and grand memories that are throughout the history of cinema. Bond in Rome will not be the same as Bond in other parts of Italy. So this will feel fresh, I think, and unique. Whether short or longer, the scenes in Rome are undoubtedly going to be memorable (I have faith in van Hoytema and Mendes). Three coins in a fountain ... "Marcello ... Marcello!" ... Audrey on a Vespa with Gregory ... too many wonderful scenes flood into my memory when I think of Rome. Whatever part of Rome we are given in SPECTRE, I think it will be very enjoyable indeed.

2) Monica Belucci in Rome. A near perfect pairing in every way. Just think about it. Hard to top that, isn't it? :)

3) The contrast - I think it is a superb contrast to Austria, offering a different palette of colors, textures, sounds, flavors, warmth, la dolce vita, and overall ambiance.

And now I want to listen to Puccini, eat some pizza dripping with olive oil, sip a Campari, and dream of ... 8-> well, never mind. You get my drift.

What do you think about Rome in SPECTRE? Your top reasons for thinking it is a good idea. Naysayers can have their say, too, but I feel they will be in the minority.

757094belluccicraigroma.jpg

/\ absolutely love this picture!
    I know. It is gorgeous, isn't it?
    Here let me put it all on this page, too ...

I'll give 2 more reasons why Austria is perfect for this next Bond film:

1) Craig's Bond deserves to de-stress and unwind with a great cup of coffee and some sachertorte after all he went through in Skyfall, maybe with a little Mozart playing softly. Although ... come to think of it, he may prefer a certain kind of martini, with a lovely female for company, preferably while lying on a (fake) fur rug in front of a crackling fireplace with said female (and the Stones' sexy "Gimme Shelter" softly mesmerizing in the background). ;)

2) Craig's Bond is always up for a challenge, and he improvises well. Using a digger to attack the train (PTS Skyfall) being one example. Nothing stops this Bond. I don't think skiing, sledding, tobogganing, or any other snowy action will be a deterrent for Craig's Bond. In fact, I think the opposite. I can hardly wait to see what action develops in this wintry, snowy landscape.

Those are my final thoughts on Austria, so let's now move on to ...

Bond's Roman Holiday -

Top Reasons why Rome is perfect for SPECTRE -

Here are 3 I can think of at this moment:

1) Italy is amazing - a cinematic and photographic delight, historic, charming, ebullient, complex, and tantalizing. We have seen Bond in Italy, yes, but not any real length of time in Rome. Rome, the Eternal City, with so many historic sites and grand memories that are throughout the history of cinema. Bond in Rome will not be the same as Bond in other parts of Italy. So this will feel fresh, I think, and unique. Whether short or longer, the scenes in Rome are undoubtedly going to be memorable (I have faith in van Hoytema and Mendes). Three coins in a fountain ... "Marcello ... Marcello!" ... Audrey on a Vespa with Gregory ... too many wonderful scenes flood into my memory when I think of Rome. Whatever part of Rome we are given in SPECTRE, I think it will be very enjoyable indeed.

2) Monica Belucci in Rome. A near perfect pairing in every way. Just think about it. Hard to top that, isn't it? :)

3) The contrast - I think it is a superb contrast to Austria, offering a different palette of colors, textures, sounds, flavors, warmth, la dolce vita, and overall ambiance.

And now I want to listen to Puccini, eat some pizza dripping with olive oil, sip a Campari, and dream of ... 8-> well, never mind. You get my drift.

What do you think about Rome in SPECTRE? Your top reasons for thinking it is a good idea. Naysayers can have their say, too, but I feel they will be in the minority.

757094belluccicraigroma.jpg

• Just a thought, occasioned by the picture: would Monica be the oldest Bond girl, assuming they sleep together? She's currently 50 (ok, so maybe Bond "girl" isn't the term for her, but oh well).
    They are Bond girls to me as well; I am not picky about the word.
    I think she would be the oldest. Yay for her! Showing that age can really be more just a number.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    We've not had Bond in Rome before as far as I can remember so it's about time he visited.

I went nearly 2 years back and fell in love with the city, it's just an incredible experience and will definitely be going back.

Can't wait to see how Mendes and co utilise it's setting and that car chase is going to be epic with the back drop of Rome, the photo's released today really make this look a classy affair, the location work for this film is top drawer.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 14,840
    Plenty of reasons why Rome is perfect. Here are some right off the bat and I am trying to remain original: 1)It has a nice symbolical ring to it, being the birthplace of Caesar, Augustus, etc. and Blofeld being compared to a great world leader in the novels. 2)Italy and Italians have been working well during the Craig era. 3)It is also historically an important geopolitical place, since at least... Roman times!
    I will be there shortly, @Birdleson. I enjoy it but have been steadily busy with other things and not on the forum as constantly. Thanks for the reminder.
    Good reasons, @Ludovico! I especially like the relevance of your first point, with Blofeld being a leader who wants to control the world, and is making inroads in that (assuming he will be in this film somehow, at some point, either hinted or more involved).