SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well it is 1:30 a.m. as I am typing this ... so it is probably me. I remember Klebb getting dragged away. Probably confusing it with the book, where Klebb definitely is not killed. Okay then, I'm sure you are right. So never mind me, folks. :D

Back on here in about 5 hours ... Zzzzzzz ... I-)
    Some confusion with the book FRWL
    Klebb was not killed, she was dragged away after kicking Bond with the poisoned shoe and it is Bond who slides to the floor, presumely dead.
    In the film, Tatiana shoots Klebb and she slides to the floor.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    What about Stromberg? I suppose Sir Rog did fill him up with a lot of lead though...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Stromberg that bastard! Good riddance. Webbed fingers and all.
    I understand that after shooting him in the groin, Roger said, "Balls-eye, Fish finger" but the line was deleted.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    Sanchez would be #1 for me. I'd say Red Grant, Necros and Pushkin were all pretty satisfying
    Pushkin?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Pushkin?
    A satisfying phoney death, I guess- ?
    :P
    edited October 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Ah, so satisfying those evil villains biting the dust. >:)

Well, except when their demise is not so thrilling, but just ... meh, or ridiculous, or disappointing somehow. Today we are switching to:

Least Satisfying Villain Deaths (including henchmen/henchwomen) :(

Here are just a couple that left me feeling ... annoyed, dissatisfied, dissapointed:

~ Kananga/Mr. Big - After an entire film showing him to be a menacing, powerful, memorable and evil villain, we are treated to having him blow up like a balloon and explode. It was ridiculous and was a real disappointment. #-o

~ Xenia Onatopp - One of the flashiest, most fun, and sadistic evil henchwomen ever, and we simply see her get hung up. It happened far too quickly for me, and it was simply not satisfying. :-w

So, let's have a few more, shall we? Which villain deaths let you down, were just not good?
    ~ Xenia Onatopp - One of the flashiest, most fun, and sadistic evil henchwomen ever, and we simply see her get hung up. It happened far too quickly for me, and it was simply not satisfying.
    I actually found Xenia's death to be fitting, and Bond's quip to be apropos.
    I agree Kananga's was too Looney Tunes in an otherwise fine film.
    Renard's death was a bit... I dunno... not bad, but not great either.
    Largo's death in TB vexes me in its cinematic simplicity and its clearly low-tek execution (forgive the pun).
    Renard's death was just meh for me, too.

I did find Xenia's just not fitting, and too quick, not really satisfying. But that's just my impression. Probably others enjoyed her demise more than I did.

What about Prince Kamal Khan? Stromberg? Drax? Those were all rather middle of the road for me ... I'd like to hear others' opinions. :>
    What about Prince Kamal Khan? Stromberg? Drax? Those were all rather middle of the road for me ... I'd like to hear others' opinions. :>
    Khan's was okay, but not exceptional, Stromberg's was PERFECT (Take THAT, you d*ck!), and Drax's was pretty lacklustre. IMO.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ah, so satisfying those evil villains biting the dust. >:)

Well, except when their demise is not so thrilling, but just ... meh, or ridiculous, or disappointing somehow. Today we are switching to:

Least Satisfying Villain Deaths (including henchmen/henchwomen) :(

Here are just a couple that left me feeling ... annoyed, dissatisfied, dissapointed:

~ Kananga/Mr. Big - After an entire film showing him to be a menacing, powerful, memorable and evil villain, we are treated to having him blow up like a balloon and explode. It was ridiculous and was a real disappointment. #-o

~ Xenia Onatopp - One of the flashiest, most fun, and sadistic evil henchwomen ever, and we simply see her get hung up. It happened far too quickly for me, and it was simply not satisfying. :-w

So, let's have a few more, shall we? Which villain deaths let you down, were just not good?

Agree on both your choices; Kananga just downright embarrassing and Xenia deserved a far better send off. Although her death itself is fine the scene comes out of nowhere and always seems to me as if someone looked at the finished script and suddenly realised they'd forgotten to kill Xenia off so just scribbled something on a post it more and said 'we can just shove it in there after the plane crash and before the finale.'

But while we're on GE how about Ouroumov's death? An absolute shambles. Literally the definition of 'blink and you'd miss it'. If someone happened to blink at the wrong moment they would actually get to the end of the film wondering if Ouroumov got away with it like Irma Bunt. His character deserved far better than that.

I've always considered Gobinda's death rather weak too. If I was hanging onto the outside of a plane for grim death I think it would take a little bit more than that to make me let go.
    Good points, TheWiz. I rather agree with all of what you wrote. Ouroumov especially deserved a better death.

I think the main reason why I find Xenia's death unsatisfying is because it did feel too rushed. She was a super henchwoman and there was not enough buildup to her actual death ... I know there was a fight, but the end was too quick for me. I'd rather her make some last snide comment to Bond but while dangling over a cliff or something different (I know the squeezing was apropos) ... something either different or really more drawn out - it was all too quick. Her demise could have had a greater and more satisfying impact.

Any more not so good, disappointing deaths of baddies? I'm just waking up, but I'm sure I can think of another one in a bit.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Kananga was ashame as he was such a great villain and everything portrayed was perfect with the exception of the underwhelming death scene.

Goldfinger's death was equally underwhelming with the comic spinning and getting sucked out of the plane.

Goldfinger's death was equally underwhelming with the comic spinning and getting sucked out of the plane.
    Maybe it's just me, but even back as a snarky teen I found his death rather grim- not comical at all...
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    For 1964 it was more than fine effects wise. While GF started some of the camp elements, none came from the ruthless GF. After gunning down the soldiers and his own men, I wanted a more fitting death. Oddjob's electrocution left a much bigger mark for me. Though you make a good point Chris, for some reason I find Drax's demise perfect and the thought of his death suffocating and scary. Not sure why I feel different about the two.

I'm not saying that GF's death is a bad one, just underwhelming with how amazing of a villain he was, I was expecting an equally cruel death.
    I'm not saying that GF's death is a bad one, just underwhelming with how amazing of a villain he was, I was expecting an equally cruel death.
    I imagined him breaking all sorts of bones on the way out of that small opening, probably tearing off his nose as well... pretty cruel in my book.
    @-)
    The ones that always makes my blood boil are
    Kananga he was a good villain, but the Mankiewicz script decided to turn his death into some lame "fun". didn't like it.

Blofeld in DAF Lets face it: Ernst Stavro Blofeld was Bond's greatest adversary. He deserved a better send off than being bounced up and down on a crane. Had the production not run out of money, we might have gotten a more satisfying death (like the script had called for) instead of the horsecrap we got.

Others:
    Elektra was kinda anti climatic as well. She being the principal villainess.She should have been killed at the climax and after Bond dealth with her henchman Renaud.
    I too would go for Kananga as my top choice. When I last watched LALD it felt like the filmakers had rushed the scene in order to get to the train fight.

Also:

Blofeld.

His 'death' in FYEO is ambiguous as we don't know for certain whether he actually IS Blofeld.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited October 2014 Posts: 7,314
    I imagined him breaking all sorts of bones on the way out of that small opening, probably tearing off his nose as well...
    Wow, that's dark. I wish they had put as much imagination into it as you did.

"OHMSS69 wrote:
    Blofeld in DAF Lets face it: Ernst Stavro Blofeld was Bond's greatest adversary. He deserved a better send off than being bounced up and down on a crane.
    I agree. It was just inappropriate to keep his fate ambiguous after the murder of Tracy in the film before.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    pachazo wrote: »
    "OHMSS69 wrote:
    Blofeld in DAF Lets face it: Ernst Stavro Blofeld was Bond's greatest adversary. He deserved a better send off than being bounced up and down on a crane.
    I agree. It was just inappropriate to keep his fate ambiguous after the murder of Tracy in the film before.

I presume it was done intentionally as they intended to bring him back and did indeed try to in TSWLM. That said it is equally possible it was just part of the overall shoddiness and crapping on the Tracy/Blofeld revenge story that is DAF.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    pachazo wrote: »
    "OHMSS69 wrote:

I presume it was done intentionally as they intended to bring him back and did indeed try to in TSWLM. That said it is equally possible it was just part of the overall shoddiness and crapping on the Tracy/Blofeld revenge story that is DAF.

Yes, that is as good an explanation of whatever happened with the DAF ending as we are ever likely to get. Thank you, Wiz. Why they did not kill off Blofeld in the ten year period from 1965-1975 when they had the rights to Blofeld and SPECTRE before they were ceded back to Kevin McClory must forever remain a mystery I suppose...
    The original idea to have Ernst return in TSWLM and a group of "young Turks" take over SPECTRE and throw Blofeld and the Old Guard out would have been a fitting end to the Blofeld/SPECTRE arch, instead due to ownership issues and the feud with that fly in the ointment, McClory this idea was scraped in favor of what we got in TSWLM.
    It is a shame we never got real closure for Blofeld...

I never considered that PTS of FYEO to be the end of Ernst and certainly not the climax of that foul turd of a movie, DAF.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I never considered that PTS of FYEO to be the end of Ernst and certainly not the climax of that foul turd of a movie, DAF.
    In MY mind, seriously, after OHMSS, Blofeld left the scene. Broke neck, broke fortune, broke cred... lost in the past.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    The original idea to have Ernst return in TSWLM and a group of "young Turks" take over SPECTRE and throw Blofeld and the Old Guard out would have been a fitting end to the Blofeld/SPECTRE arch, instead due to ownership issues and the feud with that fly in the ointment, McClory this idea was scraped in favor of what we got in TSWLM.
    It is a shame we never got real closure for Blofeld...

Yes, it's indeed a pity we never got Richard Maibaum's alternative TSWLM script as it would have been way ahead of its time for a James Bond film, which was why Cubby Broccoli, as much as he liked it, ultimately rejected it.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I thought that was Anthony Burgess's script?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    whomever's it was, I like the idea only half. Fleming's Blofeld made use of all the means at his disposal, as some sort of unscrupulous machiavellian monster. I liked that idea, him outsmarting every one, so he'd be ablo to control the Turks. And his demise should've been similar. They could've had him dissapear for years after OHMSS, and shouldn't have used him in DAF. Imagine that: Bond agianst someone whom he'd never heard of taking over the seat of a billionaire nobody has seen in years. How would he know if they guy was the billionaire or not? For me that would've been far more interesting and Blofeld could've returned even bigger and much more organised then he did.
    Oh well, none of his deaths seem satisfactory to me. Not the tree hanging, nor the mud-baths, and absolutely not the crane swinging or the helicopter drop.

just some thinking, that. Him and blow-up Mr. Big are by far the worst.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I thought that was Anthony Burgess's script?

No, it was Richard Maibaum's idea - read Steven Jay Rubin's The James Bond Films (1981/1983) for more details on this.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 12,459