Real life villains

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I really shouldn't have to come in here and say this, but for the love of all that is Bondian in this world, can we shut the hell up?

It's amazing how little this community can get along and speak with respect to each other like mature adults when it comes to religion and politics.

Mods, please, I beg of you to close this thing down before it gets any worse.

I'm with you. I'm done. Murdock out.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,691
    I concur. Beast cannot discuss American foreign policy coolly & logically, and this makes this thread a potential beehive of stings on our collective butts.
    *ouch!*
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    I think @Murdock and @chrisisall has said everything that needs to be said here.

No point discussing any further with the bigot in question.

Let's hope this thread is closed down pronto.

By the way:
    00Beast wrote:

Invaded Iraq? That was necessary- those Muslims had it coming to them, and actually the WMD's did exist- they were just hidden by the time we were able to get over there. That's fact.

That is probably one of the funniest (not to mention xenophobic) statements I have ever read.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,819
    I really shouldn't have to come in here and say this, but for the love of all that is Bondian in this world, can we shut the hell up?

It's amazing how little this community can get along and speak with respect to each other like mature adults when it comes to religion and politics.

Well said. It has no place in this thread.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 14,843
    Interesting topic. I think the issue with real villain is that they hurt real people and thus something too close to real life would be considered tasteless, even upsetting. I could see lesser known evil men as models for villains, or use one specific trait of one for a Bond villain. Blofeld has the eyes of Mussolini but he is not a carbon copy.
    Murdock wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Still better than Romney. Obama somewhat let us down, but Romney would have set us back 30 years.

How? He actually has had real success and experience, particularly with the economic side of things, which would have been an incredibly valuable asset to the Oval Office, what with our national debt being the way it is. Obama is only digging that hole deeper each day he is still in power.

Him and his running mate wanted to keep the glass ceiling or whatever to keep women's pay grades less than that of men's and his running mate in particular wanted to completely ban Gay marriage. That's not a step forward. That's a big step backwards. At least Obama was talking about relevant issues and not issues that went against his religion. Neither were great, but Obama was obviously better. Ever hear of separation of church and state? I live by that philosophy.

Well said.
    Off topic, but I agree. And I find ironic that some people say that Obama is soft on Islamic terrorism while he had Bin Laden killed AND maybe even more importantly on domestic policies defended everything an Islamist stands against.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Interesting topic. I think the issue with real villain is that they hurt real people and thus something too close to real life would be considered tasteless, even upsetting. I could see lesser known evil men as models for villains, or use one specific trait of one for a Bond villain. Blofeld has the eyes of Mussolini but he is not a carbon copy.

Papa Doc Duvalier as Mr Big anyone?
    Duvalier was too thin. Mr Big in the novel could easily be used in the movies. Kananga was very different from the original and did not even have the same name! Drop the Big, call him Buonaparte Ignace Gallia, make him a hulking black man, and voila. You have a completely different villain.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Duvalier was too thin. Mr Big in the novel could easily be used in the movies. Kananga was very different from the original and did not even have the same name! Drop the Big, call him Buonaparte Ignace Gallia, make him a hulking black man, and voila. You have a completely different villain.

I was thinking of how he used voodoo to scare the inhabitants of Haiti as well as the Tonton Macoute of course. Alan Whicker once described him as a real-life Bond villain if anybody was. I think that Mr Big was from Haiti too.
    Yes Mr Big was also from Haiti. In fact they do share a lot of similarities, but Big stands on his own, so to speak.

There's a Serb military officer whose name I cannot remember right now who could make for a great Bond villain. Bulky, thuggish frame, white hair... Nasty piece of work.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Yes Mr Big was also from Haiti. In fact they do share a lot of similarities, but Big stands on his own, so to speak.

There's a Serb military officer whose name I cannot remember right now who could make for a great Bond villain. Bulky, thuggish frame, white hair... Nasty piece of work.

That Serb military officer sounds most interesting, @Ludovico!
    I'll need to find out who he is. He event went rogue for a while, after the 90s. If there's a real life Bond villain that's him.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I'll need to find out who he is. He event went rogue for a while, after the 90s. If there's a real life Bond villain that's him.

Yes, he sounds like a real-life General Orlov, General Yuskovich or General Ourumov! I'm very interested in the renegade general trope in the Bond films and novels.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Whoa, okay, totally interjecting here, but...

I know he's just about as opposite of a villain as can be, but the former pope, Benedict XVI, certainly LOOKS very villainous.

pope-benedict-xvi.jpg

Wrong franchise. This should go in the Star Wars thread.
    Whoa, okay, totally interjecting here, but...

I know he's just about as opposite of a villain as can be, but the former pope, Benedict XVI, certainly LOOKS very villainous.

pope-benedict-xvi.jpg

Wrong franchise. This should go in the Star Wars thread.

Well he was a Father after all...
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes, he sounds like a real-life General Orlov, General Yuskovich or General Ourumov! I'm very interested in the renegade general trope in the Bond films and novels.

Here it is: Ratko Mladic.

His Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratko_Mladić

If you google his image and see him in uniform, you see he looks like some very nasty piece of work. He is practically a real-life Blofel, even changed his appearance like Blofeld did! (And side note: people who thinks Blofeld is a cheesy unbelievable character from the past should not only reread the novels, but check Mladic's history. Blofeld is sadly very realistic.)

There is another one, Momčilo Perišić (I cannot pronounce his name), who could do it too. His page on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momčilo_Perišić

I am not saying a Bond villain should too closely resemble these people however, for reasons stated in my first post in this topic.

looks like Putin is auditioning to be the next Bond villain again!
    Getafix wrote: »

Indeed, he's certainly the closest we've got to that at the minute.

Don't beg to the Mods......
    Some of them are arrogant show offs who think they are better than the rest of us.
    Some of them are rude and POWER hungry........Like Big Brother.......... [-X
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

Indeed, he's certainly the closest we've got to that at the minute.

Putin has resisted countries like Poland, Ukraine and other former Soviet Republics joining NATO. With these states unalligned, that leaves it open for him to carry on his machinations in Crimea and other parts of Eastern Europe. that qualifies him as a "real life baddie"...

Also if anyone caught Sunday nite's episode of "The Strain". I know this post is about real life but hear me out. The scene where the high up woman tells the CDC people that they want to claim a carbon monoxide leak and drop the talk of a disease so as not to crash the 70 billion dollar airline industry is close to the truth.
    We have politicians and business leaders who would do just that in the real world.
    Something to think about..
    Tell that to the EU, they are the ones with the machination craze. I nominate the EU.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 479
    As I have always thought, Russia will not stop being an antagonistic, warmongering, isolated and expansionist country until those who were schooled in the politics of the Soviet Union have died out. Mr Putin and many of his Lackies fall straight into that category. They know only greed, and seek only destruction.
    Not a baddie per se, in fact he is a very ambiguous character, but Canadian engineer and ballistic expert Gerald Bull, who may have been a weapon traffickers and whose clients were the CIA, China, the Apartheid regime in South Africa, Saddam Hussein and Iran had the making of a great Bond villain. In many ways he was professionally like a Canadian Dr. No. His supercanon project could make for a great MacGuffen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Bull
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,341
    @Sammm04 is spot on. Russia since the time of Peter the Great had been in search for a warm water port. Britain (and later France) went thru great lengths to keep Russia bottled up. Sweden had done this at first then they dropped out of the fight.
    By the 1890's Britain felt that their top two threats were France and Russia. Seeing a rising united and industrialized Germany on the horizon forced them to change their thinking.

Since the end of the Cold War, Russia still views China, NATO, and the USA as their top threats. Since the horrors of Operation Barbarossa, Russia has been trying to keep buffer zones up between their sacred land and what they perceive as their threats. (NATO, USA)

• edited July 2014 Posts: 479
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I have studied history and @Sammm04 is spot on. Russia since the time of Peter the Great had been in search for a warm water port. Britain (and later France) went thru great lengths to keep Russia bottled up. Sweden had done this at first then they dropped out of the fight.
    By the 1890's Britain felt that their top two threats were France and Russia. Seeing a rising united and industrialized Germany on the horizon forced them to change their thinking.

Since the end of the Cold War, Russia still views China, NATO, and the USA as their top threats. Since the horrors of Operation Barbarossa, Russia has been trying to keep buffer zones up between their sacred land and what they perceive as their threats. (NATO, USA)

Exactly, it is as if the Russian government has had a long standing inferiority complex and an obsession with controlling those around them. They have boistered around Eastern Europe taking what they want and controlling the governments there for over 70 years, this will only end when the generation of people who grew up in the Soviet Union, where this practise was encouraged, dies out, I don't see that happening until around 2060.

What about Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu?
    I daresay that since 1948 Israel has been on a mission to annialate the indigeous people of Palestine to make [living] room for jewish settlements. Using attacks from Hamas and the PLO as excuses to come in and slaughter women and children is not unlike the American manisfest destiny that eradicated the American Native population, as well as the British actions against Aboriginees in Australia.
    Colonizing powers have always set out to wipe out indigenous populations and Israeli actions are no different.
    Problem here is the USA turning a blind eye and basically giving Israel carte blance to maim and destroy all the while practicing a sort of genocide to the Arabs who live there.

they have no political power in Israel and its just a matter of time. Until the Israeli people finally say "Enough" and call their government on their actions.

They keep bringing up memories of the halocaust to keep the Israeli people supporting their actions that are not much different from the examples I mentioned earlier.

so I say, Yes, Netanyahu qualifies as a modern day bad guy. Like Putin, Stalin, and a certain Austrian corporal...
    This thread is getting ridiculous. You have been spoonfed too much propaganda. I have too, but refuse to suck it up. I nominate myself.
    Nobody commented on/checked Gerald Bull?
    Rolf Harris?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Charlie Sheen. =))