The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I was stupidly excited to wake up and see Pierce and Greg Kinnear reunite for a dinner, alongside their crew from The Matador - director Richard Shepard and producers Brian and Sean Furst.

If we got a sequel to it, I think I'd die.

349130682_267939932378573_3444383738708800739_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=A_m-mvGWetoAX8yJvhP&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AfCmUC5LHQ1xXlsUTxGuOevtu-2e_pyzf8UhwnpU5sQN7w&oe=64754D10

349074145_939688087340453_9132121432450368794_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=gZehGqT37h8AX-MUKjM&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AfCRv_VcPbrthggvEQyKTVYsPLtvmyJ6irNjxAkijG7GjQ&oe=64763553
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I was stupidly excited to wake up and see Pierce and Greg Kinnear reunite for a dinner, alongside their crew from The Matador - director Richard Shepard and producers Brian and Sean Furst.

Couldn't resist writing a comment hoping for a sequel on the Instagram post.
    mattjoes wrote: »

You or me? Because I absolutely did that (and on the Facebook post too...not like anyone's going to see it though).

I actually did reach out to director Richard Shepard last year and professed my love for the film and he kindly replied back. It's one of my favorite films.
    mattjoes wrote: »

You or me? Because I absolutely did that (and on the Facebook post too...not like anyone's going to see it though).

I actually did reach out to director Richard Shepard last year and professed my love for the film and he kindly replied back. It's one of my favorite films.

Both of us then!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    So it doesn't look as horrible as I thought it'd be, seems like everyone's having fun with it. I'm looking forward to it now. Hell, it'll be worth it just for the "Brosnan as Bond" joke and for, as always, how excellent Brosnan is looking here.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is he doing a NI accent? Why?
    I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch it. After struggling through episodes of Fubar, Citadel etc. recently and giving up, I'm not sure I can manage any more glossy crap US action series.
    A Brosnan-starrer that runs 95 minutes is way more digestible to me. I'm not saying it's going to be good but I can't imagine, after having seen the trailers for FUBAR and Citadel, dedicating that much time to watch those initial seasons. They both looked like a waste of a lot of money.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    mtm wrote: »
    Is he doing a NI accent? Why?
    Maybe 10 years ago, someone on AJB said 'Pierce Brosnan couldn't do an Irish accent if he trained for it.' That still amuses me every now and again. Pierce's wayward accents are all part of the fun, I reckon.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh it's a film? I thought it was a TV show. I don't think I'll be able to manage it though, it's another one that looks rather like it's been written by AI.
    That describes about 98% of Netflix's output these days.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2023 Posts: 15,686
    Oh it's a film? I thought it was a TV show. I don't think I'll be able to manage it though, it's another one that looks rather like it's been written by AI.

I'd go further and say that most Netflix films these days look like they were directed by an AI. The directing look so bland and uninspiring that I refuse to believe a human directed these films. I expect a talented director to have visual flair, and a bad director to have off-putting camera movement/editing, etc. Most Netflix films have neither, which makes me seriously question if there are any humans involved in the production (apart from the actors - Pierce Brosnan looks criminally good looking for someone that recently turned 70).
    Unless it's the rare arthouse flick or something from a highly esteemed director, they all look the same - similar cinematography, similar color palette. There's no originality to be found in most of them, yet Netflix will keep tossing $200 million+ at these projects because views are all they care about. The Gray Man was trash but everybody saw it so of course we'll get endless sequels and spin-offs to it. Insanity.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,898
    Pierce Brosnan looks criminally good looking for someone that recently turned 70).
    He remains an absolute dude, yessir!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My youngest daughter and I did Citadel— one of the best comedies we’ve seen. We especially loved the most unsexy couple, doing the most unsexy things, while pouting and trying to look sexy. The fight scenes would go on for excruciatingly long periods of time, and they stole shamelessly from Wick, Bourne and Bond…. And speaking of Bond, if Madden wanted the role, there’s no way he’s even considered after this series… But every episode gave us plenty of great guffaws and lols….

My wife and binged Fubar. Unlike Citadel, this WAS supposed to be funny, but came no where close. Not even a smirk. RIP ARNOLD & HIS CHARISMA….

Both were lessons on how not to write a series….

I hafta say though, I’m tempted to watch old Pierce in this. I may not be his biggest fan, but I always root for him. He does look amazing in the trailer, and when the other in-law states how handsome he is, it gave me a genuine smile…

It looks like trash, but cannabis is completely legal in Toronto and this may be a case of doing a little dose and going on a ride with Brosnan and Ellen Barkin (one of my crushes when I was a kid; I think I was twelve or thirteen when I saw Sea of Love and that crooked smile and long legs did me in— after I watched that film I was “no longer a boy”.)
    That Richard Kind is a funny guy. I still remember him losing his mind at Clifford's antics. Now he's getting annoyed at Pierce's good looks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    peter wrote: »
    My youngest daughter and I did Citadel— one of the best comedies we’ve seen. We especially loved the most unsexy couple, doing the most unsexy things, while pouting and trying to look sexy. The fight scenes would go on for excruciatingly long periods of time, and they stole shamelessly from Wick, Bourne and Bond…. And speaking of Bond, if Madden wanted the role, there’s no way he’s even considered after this series… But every episode gave us plenty of great guffaws and lols….

I think I bailed halfway through ep4: I realised it wasn't holding my attention. Agreed about Madden too - that show is an actual career-ruiner for him.
    What I didn't understand was that they were making a sub-Bond spy show, and had Stanley Tucci in it, and yet for some reason I wasn't watching Stanley Tucci being the cool and stylish and suave star superspy swanning around Europe and being charismatic. When can I watch that show?

I do enjoy a bit of Pierce but this just looks too brain-melting for me after all of the other recent mush. Odd to see his slide back into straight-to-video rubbish: seems like mid-90s to mid-2000s when he became an actual legitimate movie star for a while was just a blip in his career really.
  • love the meta Bond comment. looks alot better than the Misfits.
    love the meta Bond comment. looks alot better than the Misfits.

Agreed, even if that isn't saying much.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,483
    It looks like fun if nothing else, Pierce seems to be enjoying himself.
    I like the Bond quote, but I think it would have been funnier if he said Bond #5 was rubbish or something self deprecating like I imagine Sir Roger would have done.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    31b808_996a90f19fe74b1785ec20c5371e93c5~mv2.jpeg
    Happy birthday Pierce 🍸

Belated Birthday wishes to Mr B!!!!!! ^:)^
  • Jordo007 wrote: »
    It looks like fun if nothing else, Pierce seems to be enjoying himself.
    I like the Bond quote, but I think it would have been funnier if he said Bond #5 was rubbish or something self deprecating like I imagine Sir Roger would have done.

Or number 5 didn't make enough films!
  • Just seen The Outlaws. What a waste of a decent cast. The wait for another decent Brosnan flick goes on. I've been waiting since the Foreigner.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just can't bring myself to do it. It just looks too bad!

My wife and binged Fubar. Unlike Citadel, this WAS supposed to be funny, but came no where close. Not even a smirk. RIP ARNOLD & HIS CHARISMA….

I hafta say though, I’m tempted to watch old Pierce in this. I may not be his biggest fan, but I always root for him. He does look amazing in the trailer, and when the other in-law states how handsome he is, it gave me a genuine smile…

It looks like trash, but cannabis is completely legal in Toronto and this may be a case of doing a little dose and going on a ride with Brosnan and Ellen Barkin (one of my crushes when I was a kid; I think I was twelve or thirteen when I saw Sea of Love and that crooked smile and long legs did me in— after I watched that film I was “no longer a boy”.)

Funnily enough, a mate of mine was filming in Toronto whilst Fubar was shooting, and met Arnold in the hotel! He shared a lift with him and realised he had to go to the gym the next morning, because where else would Arnold be? :)
    Just seen The Outlaws. What a waste of a decent cast. The wait for another decent Brosnan flick goes on. I've been waiting since the Foreigner.

I thought Brosnan had a lot of funny lines in it, and looked dashing as hell to boot. I've certainly seen worse from Netflix.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Fair to say Brosnan doesn’t exactly have the best judgement when it comes to picking projects. Which is a shame, cause he could have had a much more interesting career. His immediate films after leaving Bond like THE MATADOR and THE GHOST WRITER made me think he could have a renaissance era much like Connery did in the 80s and 90s.

Craig has kind of lucked out with his Benoit Blanc flicks.
    The Matador was so perfect that I'll forgive all the trash he's been in since, but yeah, I really wish he'd get some better projects under his belt this late in his career.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 296
    According to IMDB, Pierce Brosnan has appeared in 99 roles - films and tv. His 100th role is likely to be the thriller Fast Charlie. Release date not confirmed.

I wonder if his family should give him a special 100th role cake to mark the occasion? 🎂
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I just can't bring myself to do it. It just looks too bad!

Funnily enough, a mate of mine was filming in Toronto whilst Fubar was shooting, and met Arnold in the hotel! He shared a lift with him and realised he had to go to the gym the next morning, because where else would Arnold be? :)

Arnold was a great guest in Toronto while filming Fubar. It seemed that he was in the paper everyday, riding his bike, or going to another restaurant. He charmed Toronto.

I should also note: a few short weeks after watching Fubar, my wife and I viewed Arnold’s three-part documentary on Netflix. Charisma restored. Just listening to him is quite intoxicating; there’s so much passion and zest, authenticity and self deprecation. Which shows that Fubar was just poorly written (in many ways), and failed at capitalizing on Arnold’s natural magnetism….
    edited July 2023 Posts: 2,898
    Watched The November Man on tv again the other night. Goddamn but that might be the best Olga's ever looked! What? Oh, yeh, Pierce...I know he hoped to get a series of films out of the character but I can see why it didn't happen, tbh. Not that it's bad - it isn't - but it is a sort of middling thriller and that's not really going to trigger sequels. Ah well.