A View to a Kill. Let's make it better!

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    And Shirley Bassey sang the three most annoying Bond songs in history (Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, Moonraker; Goldfinger in particular is the worst

Ohhh boy this is going to be fun !
    and the simple mention of its name made the power in my friend's house go out one day

You forgot to mention this one, Danny-boy.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 140
    Yes, A view to a Kill is a mess but didn't it suffer from budget cuts?

According to Roger's autobiography himself and Jones did not get on. Apparently Jones wore a certain piece of equipment when they were filming their love scene!

And for you who appreciate the Doody you should check the following out:

BAIN123 wrote:
    Shark wrote:
    A VIEW TO A KILL is GOLDFINGER done right.

Really? Not a big GF fan?

Sean Connery vs Roger Moore = Sean Connery
    Honour Blackman vs Tanya Roberts = Honour Blackman
    Gert Frobe vs Christopher Walken = Christopher Walken
    Oddjob vs Mayday = Oddjob
    Shirley Bassey vs Duran Duran = Shirley

Goldfinger - 4, View - 1 ;)

Okay, I agree with Connery, Walken and Oddjob. Pussy Galore was one of the stupidest Bond girls (Bond with mega-feminists? NO. And Shirley Bassey sang the three most annoying Bond songs in history (Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, Moonraker; Goldfinger in particular is the worst, and the simple mention of its name made the power in my friend's house go out one day). I'd rather Dance into the Fire anyday.

Oh yes, I'd much rather Dance Into the Fire than get The Kiss of Death! And as for Miss Galore, I agree wholeheartedly. She's a terrible Bond girl and annoys the crud out of me! I was hoping Bond would just leave her in the plane to crash into the ocean, which is by the way, one of the biggest goofs in any Bond movie. A body of water between Kentucky and Virginia? NO! I'm from the South, and have driven the distance from Tennessee to Washington D.C., and there is no body of water at all.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    And Shirley Bassey sang the three most annoying Bond songs in history (Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, Moonraker; Goldfinger in particular is the worst

I wouldn't insult Dame Bassey. She could kill you with a single note. ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    echo wrote:

I wouldn't insult Dame Bassey. She could kill you with a single note. ;)

She has, over and over and over again. I'm just damn lucky I've got more lives than a cat. ;)
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    avtak.png

Poster if TD was in AVTAK... if only
    I like that. I wish it was real.
    Coming this summer? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    @AgentJamesBond007: Awesome poster! That's a wanted what-if for me. As much as I like Roger in AVTAK, the entire movie would have benefitted from a more active 007.
  • I actually really enjoy AVTAK!!

Okay Tanya Roberts was the WORST piece of casting but i found it interesting to see Bond as an older character. Seeing him operate as an agent/officer trying to extract information the old fashioned way.

Some fight scenes could have been tightened up properly, and better edited or probably better just dropped.

The whole Mine Sequence and Golden Gate (screams apart) was pure class IMO. The Town Hall Set-Up was perfectly executed and Moores reaction to Howe being shot was some of his best acting. The whole interplay between Moore and Walken throughout the film was top class.

Personally i'm quite worried about the prospects of "Skyfall" when they said its going feel like GF.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Watched this last night so I thought I'd revisit this thread, as everyone knows this movie needed some serious help.

This movie does have a lot going for it-- Roger does give a serious performance, with the cheesy lines at a minimum. I would change his wardrobe and hairstyle; as I've pointed out on another thread, Roger didn't look that old in interviews & other movies from the same year. He just looks it in AVTAK.

I would love to tweak the movie to include more of Tibbet- perhaps change his character to the geologist instead of Stacey (maybe she could be his secretary). Tibbet could still get killed, only much later in the film, and Stacey could then step up to the plate. I feel like it would be much more believable if Stacey knew 'a little bit' about the field from watching her boss, rather than being a full on geologist.
    *I don't mean that in a sexist way at all- but instead trying to make the best out of Tanya Robert's acting :-h *

Finally, I thought Bond partnered up with May Day way too easily at the end. Just five minutes prior, she was trying to kill him! I would have made their partnership much more rocky, with neither of them trusting each other, or better still-- Bond tricks May Day into blowing herself up! Now that would have given Moore's Bond a badass edge!

So those are my thoughts on AVTAK-- I liked it quite a bit, but with a few changes it could have been great

So until next time, I'll leave you with this disturbing image of Grace Jones and the man who would have played Bond if she had her way: Dolph :D

grace%20jones%20dolph%20lungren%202.jpg
  • A Swedish James Bond ?, Yes that would go down well wouldn't it..

not only that, far too physiqued for sure, makes Craig look like he has sand kicked in his face. Just to add, I'll always be adamant that A View to a Kill for me, is one of the worst ever, a 57 year old James Bond (?!), Moore was clearly inappropriate for the part by now, a wasted actor of caliber in Chris Walken, Grace Jones involved for good measure, a truly horrendous character in the form of Tanya Roberts, some bizarre and cringeworthy moments more Keaton-esque than James Bond from Moore, a theme song from Duran Duran so outdated, lukewarm villains, a ridiculous plot, Moore having his way with no less than four younger women, and a finale at the Golden Gate Bridge in SF so ludicrous in hindsight I still have trouble picturing it, and let's not forget the asinine Beach Boys sequence in Siberia with Moore (Bond), doing fancy stunts..

I'm going to have nightmares about this damn movie..

Goodnight :-<
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Here are my ideas:

This movie shouldn't have been made. Not for Sir Rog, even though it's the only time he's really uncomfortable as Bond.

If Dalton had taken over in 1981, AVTAK actually would have never been I think.
    Two things that come to my mind:
    1. Cut the funny scenes in the fire truck.
    2. Deal properly with Bond's age, I mean don't ignore the fact that he's almost 60. Also do something with Moore's hair so he wouldn't look that old.
    Anyways I don't really hate AVTAK, it's not a masterpiece but very enojoyable.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    "PrinceKamalKhan" is alright... Alyson Doody is such a gorgeous one, and would be a better cast for the original BG, which shouldn't be that screaming all the film. The switch is the right deal. May Day's sex scene should be at shortest and less "manly". It was just awful. Finally...replace Roger Moore by Tim Dalton ! That would have been such a better film. I particularly liked the pic above if Tim starred in. :)

Plus, the title a this film totally reflects Tim's interpretation. So does "TLD" and "LTK" (which I would have prefered as LR -Licence Revoked)
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I wonder whether the end of AVTAK was a missed opportunity to make a wink back to the Moonraker novel.

-A few days after the whole Zorin incident Bond drives to Stacey's house. Stacey is delighted to see him and hugs him. Bond, like a gentleman, offers to take her out to dinner (rather than him cook) and thats when she introduces him to her boyfriend who had been away on business for the last couple of weeks (maybe there could have been a throwaway mention of him at the dinner table or when Bond was searching through Stacey's bedroom). Bond kisses Stacey goodbye, drives away and smiles to himself.

-It would have been a suprise after seeing Moore's womanising Bond bed three women previously in the film.
    -It would have been a fitting end to Moore's era (but not too sad like Lazenby's)
    -They were never that believable as potential lovers - their relationship was more father/daughter.

Just a thought. Would have been a bit more dignified than hearing him make dodgy comments about dropping soap - even if it would mean ditching that 1980s robot.
    avtak.png

Poster if TD was in AVTAK... if only

A youger actor like Sir Timothy Dalton would have improved AVTAK.
    Perhpas more of Zorin would have been good?

It's pretty lame over all, but, as with MR, has enough decent sections in it to make it worth an occasional viewing.

I've always enjoyed the mine sequence. It's not exactly vintage Bond, but Zorin shooting his own goons while laughing hysterically is a highlight for me.

There are a lot of similarities with MR actually. The fact the evil capitalist villain lives in a beautiful French chateau almost makes it feel like you're watching the same movie at times.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Get rid of the stunt doubles and the flimsy dolls, and AVTAK will be my favourite along with OHMSS.
    But Stacy is awful.

Don't really understand how without it being a totally different film it could ever rank alongside OHMSS.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 5,080
    -Zorin is my favourite villain, period (perhaps along with Telly's Blofeld)

-Mayday is my favourite henchperson (along with Irma Bunt)

-The score is up there with OHMSS

-Both film's finales are superb

-a good performance from both George and Rog, despite Lazenby's inexperience and Rog's age.

-OHMSS has a great plot, and AVTAK has a solid plot that is actually an improvement on Goldfinger's (it makes sense, basically)

-Both have fantastic allies (Draco and Tibbet respectively)

-locations of both films are great

OHMSS and AVTAK has some of the best scenes in the series.
    In AVTAK, you have-

-The entire "anybody else want to drop out scene"

-The entire San Francisco City hall sequence

-Mayday jumps from the Tour Eiffel

-Car chase sans stunt doubles

-Horse race and the following "killing Tibbet was a mistake" scene

-The entire Mine scenes (including the massacre of Zorin's men)

-The death of Mayday

-Golden Gate Bridge finale and the subsequent blimp explosion

As for Stacey, I've never had a problem with her.
    This is, obviously, where OHMSS excels.

AVTAK is purely a fun and escapist adventure that does what a Bond film should- entertain.

I currently rank it número dos, so make of that what you will.
  • Stacy is definitely one of the series' weaker Bond girls but AVTAK has something about it. I'll always love it. It's a mid-Bond film for me which, considering how much I like/love most all of them, is quite high.

Roger's age and all of the weirdness everywhere gives it part of its charm I think. And the soundtrack. Gotta' love the soundtrack.
    Fair enough. I am not an AVTAK hater, so have no issue if you like it that much. It has much to commend it, although I can't say I think the Golden Gate Bridge finale is all that strong.
    Ah, I love the finale.
    Certainly the better use of rear projection in the Bond series!

I love it as Zorin really loses it big time, and I love that he opts for the axe. Truly psychotic.

And Moore puts up a good fight, too.
    I really like that little laugh Zorin makes when he realises his fate.

And that score, though...
  • AVTAK is by no means by favourite Moore film, but that finale on the Golden Gate Bridge, coupled with Walken and Barry's epic score make it a fantastic climax.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Timothy Dalton, a different Bong girl and remove the silliness starting with the Beach Boys.
  • Oh yeah, forgot to add that Max Zorin is my favorite villain in the entire series. And in a series full of great and memorable villains that alone is enough to cement it as a good movie.

Good score. Yeah, the Beach Boys bit is stupid but other than that the PTS is quite cool I've always thought.
    A 58 year old Rog or a young(ish) Dalton in bed with Grace Jones? Which do you prefer?! :D
    Get rid of the stunt doubles and the flimsy dolls.

You mean changing the entire cast of characters? :P
    edited September 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Eh? A View to a Kill has a magnificent cast (sans Roberts).