A View to a Kill. Let's make it better!

Comments

• Barry's score - agreed. Walken, one of my favourite actors but alas not based on this movie. Jones - Disagree, very memorable but for all the wrong reasons. Roberts - pretty to look at but a very forgettable bond girl. McNee - fair enough. Roger Moore - Way past his sell by date!!! I just don't have any love for the movie at all. Being a Bond fan though my motto has always been good Bond best but Bad Bond better than no Bond so I take back my wish to erase it from existence! Also the theme june from Duran Duran is very good.
    A big way to do this would be to have Timothy Dalton come in as 007. As much as I love Roger Moore, the fights aren't good in AVTAK because of Moore's older age. Also, as I heard one person put this a while back, Moore's stuntman WAS Bond the whole time in AVTAK! If Timothy had come in, we might have gotten better action to go along with the great plot.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    This one, simple thing would make AVTAK 100% better: erase May Day.
    This one, simple thing would make AVTAK 100% better: erase May Day.

Well, normally I'd agree to this, but if we erase May Day, then we wouldn't get that spectacular finale when she rides out of the tunnel with the bomb. "May Day, JUMP!" "GET ZORIN FOR ME!" BOOOOOOM! It's still one of my favorite moments in a Bond movie, and surprisingly thanks to May Day, who is otherwise a terrible character.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Okay, we keep that one scene. Stranger things that make no sense have been left in the Moore era.
  • 00Beast wrote:
    A big way to do this would be to have Timothy Dalton come in as 007.

Or if Grace Jones had her way-- Dolph would play him!
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/62927#Comment_62927

20081124_dolph_250x375.jpg
    @Master_Dahark: Well, good thing Grace Jones didn't have her way!
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 2,341
    It would have been good to see a fight to the death between Bond and principal henchwoman, May Day. We never see Bond duke it out with a lethal woman. Would have been a nice change but then I doubt that Roger could have whipped May Day anyhow.
    Use May Day not as a bed plaything but as a lethal asexual woman.
    Of Zorin's assistants, May Day was the most lethal and this should have been played to the fullest.
    I mean she killed Tippet and agent Lee with no emotion. Such a character should duke it out with Bond. We should have seen her get her just desserts at the hands of Bond like other evil henchmen (Oddjob, Hans, Grant, etc)

00Beast wrote:
    A big way to do this would be to have Timothy Dalton come in as 007.

Or if Grace Jones had her way-- Dolph would play him!
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/62927#Comment_62927

20081124_dolph_250x375.jpg

That's just great.
    In AVTAK the film makers were playing to a 58 year Old roger moores strengths. may take some time to figure them out Lol his face lift did not help. i love moore though he should never have made that movie. though can't blames roger for accepting for what ever millions he would have been paid for doing it.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I would like AVTAK more if Dalton would've came into the role of Bond then. Moore was just too old for the part and I can't beleive they wanted Moore to do another film.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I would like AVTAK more if Dalton would've came into the role of Bond then. Moore was just too old for the part and I can't beleive they wanted Moore to do another film.

Thankfully Moore didn't and knew he should leave.
  • SharkShark Banned
    Roger Moore - Way past his sell by date!!!

Physically perhaps, but he gives one of his best performances here.
    Does anyone know if Dalton or Brosnan were available in 1985, I have always got the impression Roger was kept on for one more as there wasn't a suitable replacement at the time?
    Shark wrote:
    Roger Moore - Way past his sell by date!!!

Physically perhaps, but he gives one of his best performances here.

Agreed. The scene after the horse race when Tibbett is dead proves this point more than anything, and the scene at City Hall when W.G. Howe is killed is another good example.
    Its a tough one with View. I like Moore in it but, in terms of credibility, he was pushing it. 57! Really??

In hindsight, while I do enjoy the sleepy but beautiful "Wine with Stacey" track it probably would have been better for Moore to leave after Octopussy and have Dalton take over in 1985.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Its a tough one with View. I like Moore in it but, in terms of credibility, he was pushing it. 57! Really??

In hindsight, while I do enjoy the sleepy but beautiful "Wine with Stacey" track it probably would have been better for Moore to leave after Octopussy and have Dalton take over in 1985.

Agreed. Moore is my favorite, but he should have ducked out after FYEO or OP. Compared with Max Zorin, all the ally deaths, and that climatic ending, Dalton would have worked better for AVTAK.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think that Dalton would not have benefited from AVTAK. Moore's age is essentially the least of my concerns with this film. In fact, I think Moore's performance still rocks. AVTAK is flawed in terms of its story and Dalton wouldn't have been able to fix those issues.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Tailoring it more towards how Dalton would want to play Bond, may have done something and tweaked the film's story in some areas.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    It would have been good to see a fight to the death between Bond and principal henchwoman, May Day. We never see Bond duke it out with a lethal woman. Would have been a nice change but then I doubt that Roger could have whipped May Day anyhow.
    Use May Day not as a bed plaything but as a lethal asexual woman.
    Of Zorin's assistants, May Day was the most lethal and this should have been played to the fullest.
    I mean she killed Tippet and agent Lee with no emotion. Such a character should duke it out with Bond. We should have seen her get her just desserts at the hands of Bond like other evil henchmen (Oddjob, Hans, Grant, etc)

Agreed! While I do love the scene where May Day sacrifices herself with the bomb, I probably would have liked it better of she and Bond had a big fight to the finish in the mine, and then Bond could have gotten the bomb out some other way. Her character was played like an Oddjob, Tee Hee, or Stamper type, where you know it'll come down between the two of them eventually. Besides, AVTAK lacked in fist-fights, so perhaps this could have improved upon that had May Day stayed a villain and fought Bond at the end.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I think that Dalton would not have benefited from AVTAK. Moore's age is essentially the least of my concerns with this film. In fact, I think Moore's performance still rocks. AVTAK is flawed in terms of its story and Dalton wouldn't have been able to fix those issues.

Agreed. The story is just bad warmed-over Superman: The Movie crossed with Goldfinger. I'm not sure the Halley's Comet version would have been much better.

• SharkShark Banned
    A VIEW TO A KILL is GOLDFINGER done right.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Shark wrote:

Really? Not a big GF fan?

Sean Connery vs Roger Moore = Sean Connery
    Honour Blackman vs Tanya Roberts = Honour Blackman
    Gert Frobe vs Christopher Walken = Christopher Walken
    Oddjob vs Mayday = Oddjob
    Shirley Bassey vs Duran Duran = Shirley

Goldfinger - 4, View - 1 ;)
    Shark wrote:

Agreed! I really don't like Goldfinger, and when compared to an old favorite of mine like AVTAK, GF doesn't even come close. AVTAK has Roger Moore, an amazing score, a better main villain, and a better climax by far!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Shark wrote:

Really? Not a big GF fan?

Sean Connery vs Roger Moore = Sean Connery
    Honour Blackman vs Tanya Roberts = Honour Blackman
    Gert Frobe vs Christopher Walken = Christopher Walken
    Oddjob vs Mayday = Oddjob
    Shirley Bassey vs Duran Duran = Shirley

Goldfinger - 4, View - 1 ;)

Okay, I agree with Connery, Walken and Oddjob. Pussy Galore was one of the stupidest Bond girls (Bond with mega-feminists? NO. And Shirley Bassey sang the three most annoying Bond songs in history (Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, Moonraker; Goldfinger in particular is the worst, and the simple mention of its name made the power in my friend's house go out one day). I'd rather Dance into the Fire anyday.
    Honour Blackman has more elegance and class than Tanya Roberts though. You're also forgetting that in the book there was a certain degree of 'feminism'. Pussy was a lesbian who got won over by Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    And Shirley Bassey sang the three most annoying Bond songs in history (Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, Moonraker; Goldfinger in particular is the worst

Ohhh boy this is going to be fun !

I saw Shirley Bassey sing all three songs at the John Barry tribute concert last year and I thought she was grand.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Honour Blackman has more elegance and class than Tanya Roberts though. You're also forgetting that in the book there was a certain degree of 'feminism'. Pussy was a lesbian who got won over by Bond.

I'm not forgetting that. I hated in the book, too.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I saw Shirley Bassey sing all three songs at the John Barry tribute concert last year and I thought she was grand.

she's still alive?! Good God, I saw a picture of the woman from the seventies and she looked like she was going to die.