MR Bond's clothing

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelordflasheart, great advice ;)

I think this year, I plan on saving up for a pair of the Tom Ford Marko sunglasses, and that Sunspel navy polo. I really want to start adding Bond attire to my wardrobe.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @thelordflasheart, great advice ;)

I think this year, I plan on saving up for a pair of the Tom Ford Marko sunglasses, and that Sunspel navy polo. I really want to start adding Bond attire to my wardrobe.

Creasy, one thing that I would suggest would be to not buy a Sunspel polo. The quality has apparently gone down tremendously since 2006 (offshoring the material and labour, perhaps) so they seem to be coasting on name recognition and not quality.

More importantly, consider this: when Craig is wearing a Sunspel polo he doesn't look cool because he's wearing Sunspel, the shirt looks cool because Bond is wearing it. You could most likely find a shirt so close in terms of look and fit that no one would know the difference. Really, you're spending the extra money to *know* that you're wearing the same brand as Bond. I can't imagine anyone outside of Bond fans knowing what Sunspel is or why it's important, much less realize on sight what the brand is.

For example, I have a navy polo that looks almost identical to the Sunspel one and I got it for $12 at The Gap back in 2007. To be fair it was unusual for them to have one that was not huge and baggy through the body. However, if you can have the patience to continue to look and wait a while you can find something similar (I found an even nicer polo at Club Monaco the next summer). I realize that it can be difficult to find "slim fit" clothes in North America (or, as a European co-worker told me, "clothes that aren't made for fat people") but if you take your time you'll find them. If you have European chains like H&M around you all the better.

Yeah, that's where I get all of my clothes at, @thelordflasheart: H&M. They're very nice fitting, not loose or baggy in the slightest. That is true about other people knowing what I'm wearing. I was telling my friend about the Marko shades, and told him I just don't know if I want to spend around $250 on a pair of shades that are part of a Bond line, because nobody else will really notice, and I'm sure I could get a similar looking pair at, say, Walmart or a Sunglass Hut for less than $20. But, it's the fact that I know, and I feel good about it.

Though, if that's the case, I'd have no problem swapping out, saving tens or hundreds of dollars, and being just as satisfied.
    I don't mean to double post, but I had an excellent night tonight.

I went out and bought a navy blue polo that looks a lot like the Sunspel polo, only it didn't have a breast pocket, and it cost me $20. Very happy with the purchase.

Then, I stopped by the Solstice sunglass store, and fell in love: finally, they had in stock, the Tom Ford William sunglasses. So beautiful, sat so light and perfectly on my face, and I just thought of how awesome they look on Craig's face.

Price? $410. I kindly asked the cashier if I could have them for the price of free, haha. She declined, but I plan on saving up and purchasing a pair. Probably some of the nicest sunglasses I've ever wore. They had the Marco pair for $465, but they didn't feel as nice, and the lenses weren't too well fitting. Slightly bigger than I had hoped, but perhaps it's because I have a small head.
    http://www.purplerevolver.com/bulletin/the-method/122426-james-bond-skyfall-secret-swimming-trunks-are-byorlebar-brown-.html

This site seems a little behind the times in posting the 'secret' of Bond's Skyfall trunks.
    I wish I could pull off those swimming trunks.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I think that @GermanLady would like to pull them off even more... ;-)

Creasy47 wrote:

I think that @GermanLady would like to pull them off even more... ;-)

Haha, wow, insanely poor choice of words on my part. I just want to reiterate that I meant 'pull them off' in terms of being able to look good if I wore them, not pull them off of Craig. Can't believe I didn't catch that before I typed it.
    :))
    After hunting high and low for a new suit - I saw this one !
    Added the shirt and tie and shoes and I got the Skyfall outfit for under £150

024ree.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2012 Posts: 11,139
    You got that suit from Tesco didn't you? ;-)
    Would like to say yes - but as I work for a rival food retailer I do not shop there
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ah, George...ASDA??
  • And is that Daniel Craig's haircut, too?

Just kidding... ;-)
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    How fun that you are discussing my clothes! :D ;)
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 498
    Is there any lucky soul out here who has the ridiculously good fortune(or money ;) ) to own Tom Ford suits ?
  • Skyfail wrote:
    Is there any lucky soul out here who has the ridiculously good fortune(or money ;) ) to own Tom Ford suits ?

Tom Ford suits run roughly $3,000 or more IIRC. There are other Bond fansites where people are much more interested/inclined to try to get lots of SA outfits from the same manufacturers but I think this is a very different community from that (on one page I think a guy listed he had spent $8,000 on outfits from SF - not hard when the jackets are all a grand each).

As I had to buy a new suit recently I did loads of research on the quality of different brands. Surprisingly, some high-end brands use wool mixes and cheap linings (both are bad for me due to them not breathing well and summers are hot here) and the quality of the tailoring is no better than mid-range suits. I read a great article where tailors reviewed different suits and found that their top three were a $2,200 suit (Armani? I can't recall), a $600 JCrew suit, and a $400 one from an off-brand company that outsources tailoring to India. They said that the quality of the materials, tailoring, and fit of those suits were virtually identical.

So the point is that you're paying $2,600 for bragging rights that you own a Tom Ford...might as well take that money and spend it on a couple more nice suits and still have loads left over ;-)

Hey @thelordflashheart,
    If you don't mind me asking, What's IIRC ?
    and although I agree that there is most likely negligible differences between that of Tom Ford and that of a mid-range brand. It's something you'll be proud to own ,If you earn it and own it I believe you'll get that inner feeling of accomplishment . Just my thoughts :)

It's like owning a Rolce-Royce or a Benz . Even though in my humble opinion a benz is more comfortable ,A Rolce is a status symbol
    I can tell you that U.S. sizing and European(international) is different. A standard U. S. men's Medium shirt/sweater is equivalent to a European Small or maybe even a tad smaller. But isn't it the fashion in Europe to wear clothing tighter and snug. This was pointed out to me when I had a couple Italian ladies whose tops would fill a Medium, said they prefer a Boy's size. I didn't think everything would fit into a small size. WOW! It did.

Sean's suits are nicely tailored but they drape on him. Daniel's Tom Ford fashions fit tighter and more snug. I would think I could have a tailor handcraft a $1K suit that would the match to a Tom Ford suit. Has anyone purchased or even seen a John Phillips suit in person? I haven't.
    I have close to $1,000 saved up over the past few months: great timing of getting paid, tax refunds, and early birthday gifts, and I'm seriously debating picking up those Tom Ford shades that Bond wears in Port-au-Prince in QoS. I've wanted them for years.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I have close to $1,000 saved up over the past few months: great timing of getting paid, tax refunds, and early birthday gifts, and I'm seriously debating picking up those Tom Ford shades that Bond wears in Port-au-Prince in QoS. I've wanted them for years.

I'd say go for it !

;)
    @Skyfail, I think I might! I keep trying to get really nice articles of clothing from time to time, and that would be a wonderful addition.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Skyfail, I think I might! I keep trying to get really nice articles of clothing from time to time, and that would be a wonderful addition.

Yes it would, besides the distinctive look.
    Its Tom Ford which is Bond's choice.

Someday wouldn't your like to tell your little ones that you own the shade Bond used

:D
    @Skyfail, you've encouraged me. I'll be buying myself a pair, haha.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Just don't tell your wife/ parents that I coaxed you into buying a pair of expensive glasses . I hope they aren't good at tracking people down ;)
    Skyfail wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Just don't tell your wife/ parents that I coaxed you into buying a pair of expensive glasses . I hope they aren't good at tracking people down ;)

Girlfriend, and she'll most certainly survive, :) I spend enough on her as it is.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Girlfriend, and she'll most certainly survive, :) I spend enough on her as it is.

Haha,How fortunate of her to have a man who actually cares :)

Oh and when you do get it , post some pictures of the Box and the shade itself and give us a mini review
    I try my best, haha. I'll try and post some pictures; I think my girlfriend has a camera I could use, and if not, I'll e-mail some from my iPhone. I can't wait.
  • Skyfail wrote:
    Hey @thelordflashheart,
    If you don't mind me asking, What's IIRC ?
    and although I agree that there is most likely negligible differences between that of Tom Ford and that of a mid-range brand. It's something you'll be proud to own ,If you earn it and own it I believe you'll get that inner feeling of accomplishment . Just my thoughts :)

It's like owning a Rolce-Royce or a Benz . Even though in my humble opinion a benz is more comfortable ,A Rolce is a status symbol

IIRC is If I Recall Correctly.

I would disagree with comparing Tom Ford suits to cars. You could wear a Tom Ford suit and no one would know it's a Tom Ford unless you told them. Likewise, you could wear a very well made less expensive suit and if you told people it was a Tom Ford most people would believe you, unless they had a lot of knowledge of clothes (and I'm speaking of a well-made suit, not a run of the mill suit).

Now, there is no car that you can drive that people will think is a Mercedes Benz other than a Mercedes Benz. So in that case, yes, having the specific item is needed.

For the clothes there are some items that are indeed worth it. I have the Barbour jacket that Craig wears in SF and it was incredibly expensive. But it's the nicest, most well-made, and most functional piece of clothing that I own. And it has a lifetime guarantee - literally lifetime (Barbours are so well made that many are handed down from father to son). Also, there's nothing else like it around - other Barbour jackets have been copied by other companies but so far the Tokito is an original. So in that case there are many reasons to have pulled the trigger and spent the money on it.

There are some other items that are both high quality and distinctive or unusual (such as ties or sunglasses) that I can see shelling out for...