Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Ludovico wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think the question more pertains to GE only because Dalton just preceded Brosnan.

From the above, the relevent option is whether LTK or TLD would have been successes with Brosnan.

I think Brosnan could have potentially pulled off TLD but I think Dalton was the better choice, due to his age/maturity when he got the role and his acting abilities (and yes, I realize Bond does not need a theatrically trained actor, but Dalton was good in the dramatic scenes, if not so good in the lighter ones).

However, I personally don't think Brosnan could have done LTK convincingly at all in 1989. That movie needed a mature brooder like Dalts.

LTK would have needed serious rewrites. My other bet is that while the movies would not have been as good, they would have been more popular. And Brosnan would have got along better with the director.

I wasn't aware tht TD didn't get on with John Glenn, I thought they all signed up for the harder edged 007?
    I find DAD to be the worst offender in terms of plotholes and implausibilities. LTK has far less, what I dislike are more some out of character moments (the bit with M and Leiter getting over his grief for instance) than truly inconsistencies.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I think the question more pertains to GE only because Dalton just preceded Brosnan.

From the above, the relevent option is whether LTK or TLD would have been successes with Brosnan.

I think Brosnan could have potentially pulled off TLD but I think Dalton was the better choice, due to his age/maturity when he got the role and his acting abilities (and yes, I realize Bond does not need a theatrically trained actor, but Dalton was good in the dramatic scenes, if not so good in the lighter ones).

However, I personally don't think Brosnan could have done LTK convincingly at all in 1989. That movie needed a mature brooder like Dalts.

LTK would have needed serious rewrites. My other bet is that while the movies would not have been as good, they would have been more popular. And Brosnan would have got along better with the director.

I wasn't aware tht TD didn't get on with John Glenn, I thought they all signed up for the harder edged 007?

I don't know the details. I think Dalton wanted to go back to Fleming, and make the character more human. But I believe it was EON's decision to adopt the ultra-violent (by Bond standards) approach in LTK. I remember reading somewhere that Dalton received the script two weeks before shooting started. I don't think he was particularly closely consulted on the exact direction of LTK. I think back then, as with pretty much all the actors up until Craig, Dalton was hired to do a job and expected to get on with it. Obviously EON were tailoring the films to his take and his style, but that doesn't mean Dalton had much creative input into the gestation of LTK.

I read an interview with Dalton after LTK, saying he wanted the next one to be more light hearted. Even though he wanted to portray the character with a more human side, I don't think that means he wanted all the violence and for the films to be overly serious. As Dalton has demonstrated elsewhere, he's more than capable of handling the lighter stuff. Despite what some say, I think he handles the lighter elements of TLD very well.

I think the disagreements with Glen were more to do with Glen being more focussed on the action and Dalton wanting the director to focus more on the drama. There must have been a personal dislike as well, I suspect, for whatever reason. Glen says LTK is the Bond film he's proudest of though, so I don't think the falling out entirely overshadowed Glen or Dalton's view of the film.

Funnily enough though, I think Dalton was actually much less happy about the general direction of the series in LTK than people assume. I really don't think he wanted to take things that far. But may be I'm wrong.
    Ah right thanks. Eon were probably ifluenced by the success of Die Hard etc.
    Getafix wrote: »
    How did Graves turn from a small Chinese man to a posh typical brit?

Crazy Cuban gene therapy and lots of money. It's made pretty clear in the film. I agree that it's total garbage as a story, but it is explained to a degree that allows me to not have to ponder it too long.

The implausbility of DAD is something it shares with the original MR movie, but from my perspective, although they stretch credulity, they do give sufficient explanation so that within the terms of each film, there is an internal logic.

This is really the point I am making - that there is a difference between a crazy but internally coherent story, and one that just doesn't make sense, even on its own terms.

Ok fair enough. However, Hugo Drax in the MR novel is a european being disfigured and mistaken for another european....not a build, hair, skin and body change.....followed by a Robocop outfit for good measure in DAD. :)
    How did Graves turn from a small Chinese man to a posh typical brit?

Crazy Cuban gene therapy and lots of money. It's made pretty clear in the film. I agree that it's total garbage as a story, but it is explained to a degree that allows me to not have to ponder it too long.

The implausbility of DAD is something it shares with the original MR movie, but from my perspective, although they stretch credulity, they do give sufficient explanation so that within the terms of each film, there is an internal logic.

This is really the point I am making - that there is a difference between a crazy but internally coherent story, and one that just doesn't make sense, even on its own terms.

Ok fair enough. However, Hugo Drax in the MR novel is a european being disfigured and mistaken for another european....not a build, hair, skin and body change.....followed by a Robocop outfit for good measure in DAD. :)

I'm not here to defend the DAD story or its massacring of the MR novel. DAD is clearly total garbage. But despite that, the film and the sequence of events is explained sufficiently that when I watch it, it does actually make sense. It's really bad, but I know what is happening, and why.
    Ah right thanks. Eon were probably ifluenced by the success of Die Hard etc.

And I think some of the 80s cop shows, like Miami vice.

Haven't seen them for years, but is there a bit of Lethal Weapon in there too?

But I know what's happening and why in SF. My only critisism is that it borrows ideas from The Dark Knight.
    But I know what's happening and why in SF. My only critisism is that it borrows ideas from The Dark Knight.

Fair enough. I know I am in an minority! ;)

But seriously, how does Bond survive at the start? Does that not bug you at all?
    Far fetched yes. But less far fetched than DAD & TND pre-titles where a whole army doesn't manage to shout PB.
    Shoot not Shout.
    Yes, but how does Bond actually survive in SF? I mean, what he goes through would kill a human, but he somehow survives and turns up on the set of the Bourne Supremacy (Bond's reappearance with the girl in the beach hut always reminds me of the bit in Supremacy where Matt Damon and Franka Potente are in Goa)...

I understand how Bond survives the start of DAD and TND - the bad guys miss. But in SF he gets shot - twice! And then falls from a huge height into a river and floats away unconscious. I don't understand how he survives that and the film doesn't even attempt to explain it. I've never actually seen a sequence like that in any other film. Where the central character to all and intents and purposes is killed, and then miraculously reappears. If that happens in other films, it is because the death and survival are central to the plot - i.e. there is a mystery to be unravelled. Is this the same person after all? That kind of thing. But in SF they just completely ignore it. Wow. I admire those who can just overlook it though. Wish I could.

In real life people have fallen out of planes (failed para) and lived. Unlikely but possible.
    In real life people have fallen out of planes (failed para) and lived. Unlikely but possible.
    Were they shot prior to the fall and did they land unconscious in fast flowing water though...

I know I'm being pedantic, but seriously, don't you require any explanation at all?

Yes, I can understand that he survives being shot, even being shot twice. I can just about understand him surviving the fall, although, let's face it, he's most probably looking at a wheelchair after that, if he survives at all. And I can understand him surviving falling into a river unconscious, if perhaps by some miracle someone sees it all and fishes him out.

But put it all together and have zero explanation of how he even gets out of the water alive, and I say that just makes no sense whatsoever.

Sorry, think this is derailing the thread, and has been covered elsewhere many times before.
  • RC7RC7
    Were they shot prior to the fall and did they land unconscious in fast flowing water though...

I know I'm being pedantic, but seriously, don't you require any explanation at all?

I have to be honest and say it didn't bothered me. I think for two reasons, 1) It's Bond, he's not going to be dead. 2) There were so many other things that annoyed me after this, I pretty much forgot about it. The Komodo Dragons, the generally poor and at time abysmal CGI work, the fucking GF DB5, the Moore era one-liners, the use of techno-babble to bypass any rationale behind the plot progression etc. Yeah, the fall had passed me by come the end of the film.
    RC7 wrote: »

I have to be honest and say it didn't bothered me. I think for two reasons, 1) It's Bond, he's not going to be dead. 2) There were so many other things that annoyed me after this, I pretty much forgot about it. The Komodo Dragons, the generally poor and at time abysmal CGI work, the fucking GF DB5, the Moore era one-liners, the use of techno-babble to bypass any rationale behind the plot progression etc. Yeah, the fall had passed me by come the end of the film.

I totally agree and that is one of the points I've made before. It's not just one thing - it's the whole accumulation of lazy, patronising film making gimmicks that really lets it down. When I first saw the film, I really wanted to enjoy it and was actually getting into it up until the point they leave Silva's island and (IMO) it all just falls apart completely. After seeing the whole film, and rewatching it, the fall is just one of many huge holes in the story/plot.

Any way, may be I should try and get back to Dalton and whether he'd have made a cracking GoldenEye!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think we have to ask the question is it impossible to be shot twice and fall from a bridge and survive?

Highly unlikely, I mean highlyyyy unlikely, but we can never say impossible.

And @Getafix, look I'm a grumpy old man, seriously don't give it another thought.

And also, I'm no expert on the Fleming books. I've read them twice, tops, apart from CR which I've read three times. So any link between book Drax and film Graves passed me by- although it doesn't make any more sense to me knowing that.

The films were my passion from day 1 and remain so. I'm not a Bond fan in that sense, I'm a Bond film fan. I've read some but not all Gardner and none since. I can't see the later book Bond as the same man in Fleming's books, and I do believe the suspension of belief we accept in films simply can't be the same in novels.

However, I do understand your point of internal logic vs unacceptable plot progressions. But now my brain is hurting....
    NicNac wrote: »
    I think we have to ask the question is it impossible to be shot twice and fall from a bridge and survive?

Highly unlikely, I mean highlyyyy unlikely, but we can never say impossible.

And @Getafix, look I'm a grumpy old man, seriously don't give it another thought.

And also, I'm no expert on the Fleming books. I've read them twice, tops, apart from CR which I've read three times. So any link between book Drax and film Graves passed me by- although it doesn't make any more sense to me knowing that.

The films were my passion from day 1 and remain so. I'm not a Bond fan in that sense, I'm a Bond film fan. I've read some but not all Gardner and none since. I can't see the later book Bond as the same man in Fleming's books, and I do believe the suspension of belief we accept in films simply can't be the same in novels.

However, I do understand your point of internal logic vs unacceptable plot progressions. But now my brain is hurting....

Agreed. Sorry for allowing my extreme pedantic side to come through!

I am also a primarily (almost exclusively in my case) a fan of the films. I've only read MR actually. It was interesting, but did not particularly tempt me to read more. It did give me a sense that the early Connery films best capture the mix of reality and fantasy/adeventure though. It's a really weird mix, but Fleming definitely makes it 'work'. It's an integral part of the success of the films as well - the flat out weirdness of some of the plots and characters.

You can see how they sometimes try and delve back into the weirdness, but the further we get from the time the books were written, the less that weirdness seems to work. Or may be the new stories and quality of the writing is just not generally up to scratch. It's actually really dififcult to do the crazy, weird stuff, and maintain that plausibility - when they manage it though, that's Bond magic IMO. I can see why people love SF for this very reason - I just feel personally it does not work.

DAD is definitely a MR homage though. And SF 'borrows' heavily from TMWTGG - not sure if it's the book or the film though. But rewatching TMWTGG recently I realised how many parallels there are with SF. It's almost a remake.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Harrison Ford aged 60-something survived a nuclear blast by hiding in a fridge. So I can accept Bond surviving all that happened to him in the PTS. ;)
    Harrison Ford aged 60-something survived a nuclear blast by hiding in a fridge. So I can accept Bond surviving all that happened to him in the PTS. ;)

Yes, but. ... We know Indy survives because he's in a fridge. Daft? Yes. Makes sense? Well sort of, within the context of an Indy movie. At least his survival is explained. We don't just see him emerging from a thermonuclear cloud, dusting himself off, or appearing in the next scene lecturing his class. We are shown how he gets out of the scrape. Key difference IMO and that is the only point I'm trying to make.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2015 Posts: 15,694
    I totally understand what you mean, @Getafix. I also wish to have seen more explanation to some of the events in SF. I liked the film but there are several films that irk me, almost all are the ones I see you talking about on some threads here. But I would have prefered more explanation on Silva's plan and psychic abilities to predict everything than Bond surviving the PTS. ;)
    I totally understand what you mean, @Getafix. I also wish to have seen more explanation to some of the events in SF. I liked the film but there are several films that irk me, almost all are the ones I see you talking about on some threads here. But I would have prefered more explanation on Silva's plan and psychic abilities to predict everything than Bond surviving the PTS. ;)

I agree actually - the way that Silva is written is more annoying than the PTS. The PTS is just emblematic/symptomatic of wider problems as far as I'm concerned. I blame the writing primarily, and Mendes to a lesser extent. I just really hope the whole story is tighter for SP. I don't want to be distracted by lazy/poor writing.

Imagine if they'd got Dalton and Barry back for GoldenEye...?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    If I may wade into the SF debate quickly: while I completely agree that one must suspend disbelief when viewing most Bond films (for the reasons @NicNac mentioned above the whole premise of James Bond is overall highly unrealistic if one thinks about it), I also agree that the SF plot holes were glaringly obvious.

I think SF is a great movie with superb characterizations, atmosphere and acting, but the plot holes relating to Silva cannot be denied. For me, it started with his MI6 escape. Up to that point, the movie was difficult to fault critically. I don't have a problem with the PTS personally.

I think the issue a lot of people have with SF is the near idolatry that's conferred on it by some, on this board, generally, and by critics (Rotten Tomatoes at 92% is a bit much to me. Metacritic at 81% and IMDB at 78% are more reasonable). DAD and other Bond movies hardly received such unadulterated praise. It is not the greatest thing since sliced bread, or even since Barack Obama imho, but it is a very entertaining movie, and one worthy of several rewatches.

However, after the long 4 year wait, I personally would have preferred it if they had given us something with a tighter, more coherent plot.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    If wishes were horses we'd all be eatin' steak.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    If wishes were horses we'd all be eatin' steak.

True, and I think I may be cheating there a little, by adding Barry to the star billing.

Imagine if they'd got Ken Adam back as well....
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2015 Posts: 10,512
    I personally would have preferred it if they had given us something with a tighter, more coherent plot.

This is all I ask for. A 'caper' as Maibaum would have put it. It can have as many themes cleverly woven through it as it wants, it can have symbolism at every turn, but I'll sacrifice both of those without hesitation for great character work and an intriguing plot.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I personally would have preferred it if they had given us something with a tighter, more coherent plot.

This is all I ask for. A 'caper' as Maibaum would have put it. It can have as many themes cleverly woven through it as it wants, it can have symbolism at every turn, but I'll sacrifice both of those without hesitation for great character work and an intriguing plot.

yup
    Did you guys watch Skyfall?

Bond told Moneypenny his wounds were not critical, 4 ribs, some of the less vital organs, nothing major.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Just a flesh wound;)