Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I don't think the buffer is necessary really.

One just has to be superior to the immediate predecessor in the general public's mind.

-Craig is, in relation to Brosnan.
    -Lazenby was not, in relation to Connery
    -Moore was, in relation to Lazenby
    -Dalton was not, in relation to Moore
    -Brosnan was, in relation to Dalton

nicely put, ;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    One more film for Dalton and one less for Brosnan (ie DAD) before moving onto the golden age of Daniel Craig would have been an ideal scenario.

Good call.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Following Roger Moore a succesfull performer of the part would always be tough act, and Like Lazenby, Brosnan needed a Dalton in between him and a successful performer.

It seems that Craig did not need such a buffer, for the time being
    . I still think that SF will be considered the most overrated 007 movie in a few years.

Because Brosnan's star had waned during his tenure. I don't think any other Bond actor had it so easy when they were cast in the role, not even Sir Rog. He never really recreated the momentum of GE.

I dare to say that the Craigs' movies have become gradually worse as well, I fear for SP.
    SF looks great but is easily one of the poorest 007 movie imho.

But SF was far praised critically. And even QOS, the most criticized of Craig's Bonds, did not hurt the public perception of Craig as Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    When I saw QoS the first time, I remember thinking: well that wasn't as good as CR by any means but by word Daniel Craig is an excellent James Bond and he carried that film!

Now I like the movie much more, like many.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    When I saw QoS the first time, I remember thinking: well that wasn't as good as CR by any means but by word Daniel Craig is an excellent James Bond and he carried that film!

If SP is as good as QOS I will be very very happy.
    :)>-
    It took a while for Brosnan's star to wane, but when DAD came out he was no more the best thing since Connery. Probably because he never truly had to earn the role.
    It took a while for Brosnan's star to wane, but when DAD came out he was no more the best thing since Connery. Probably because he never truly had to earn the role.

I can only speak for myself here, but from my perspective the expectations were too high (especially mine) for Brosnan, and he did not, for the most part, live up to those expectations. This is despite the movies (I am able to differentiate between the two).

Craig by far exceeded my expectations and continues to do so each time he puts out a Bond. I think however that his best performance by far so far has been in CR. I hope he surpasses it in SP. Craig in top form is a treat to watch.

IMO this attitude is actually a defensive reaction to Craig's stone cold take. You see, many people are uneasy deep down with Bond being portrayed SO straight (I have no problem with it myself), and so to make themselves believe they totally love it without reservation they pick on Brosnan whom most used to really like back in the day. So, psychologically speaking, to hate Brosnan is to fully embrace Craig.
    I have no use for such mind games myself, I just enjoy the different takes on the character... differently. ;)
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    chrisisall wrote: »

If SP is as good as QOS I will be very very happy.
    :)>-

Totally agree. And if it's as good as TLD or LTK I'll be over the moon!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Following Roger Moore a succesfull performer of the part would always be tough act, and Like Lazenby, Brosnan needed a Dalton in between him and a successful performer.

. I still think that SF will be considered the most overrated 007 movie in a few years.

Because Brosnan's star had waned during his tenure. I don't think any other Bond actor had it so easy when they were cast in the role, not even Sir Rog. He never really recreated the momentum of GE.

I dare to say that the Craigs' movies have become gradually worse as well, I fear for SP.

Yes, but that's only your personal opinion (as you say), so you don't need to fear for SP, because many believe SF is Craig's best. It's all subjective isn't it?

IMO this attitude is actually a defensive reaction to Craig's stone cold take. You see, many people are uneasy deep down with Bond being portrayed SO straight (I have no problem with it myself), and so to make themselves believe they totally love it without reservation they pick on Brosnan whom most used to really like back in the day. So, psychologically speaking, to hate Brosnan is to fully embrace Craig.
    I have no use for such mind games myself, I just enjoy the different takes on the character... differently. ;)

I don't hate Brosnan and it is fair comment to say that he was not revered as much at the end of his tenure as the beginning.
    OP is a classic Moore movie so no way I would have wanted to lose that. But had we lost Moore's AVTAK and got a grittier first entry from Dalton I would not have been too upset.
  • RC7RC7

I do think there are certain people who tend to fit this mould. I'm with you in that I enjoy different takes on the character, it's the variety that makes it such a joy. It will be interesting to see if people's opinions are maintained as the films start to get back to where they were. Most of the talk I'm hearing is of SP being a TB type film, bigger, bolder, etc. All the good bits of the canon falling back into place. It will be interesting to see how that plays out as I loved the stripped-back nature of CR, and as much as I have problems with QoS I admired that they didn't panic and throw everything back into the mix to cover their arses.
    God I hope it's not like TB! Total snore fest.
    Getafix wrote: »
    God I hope it's not like TB! Total snore fest.

I'm afraid I have to politely disagree. TB is a work of art imho.

RE: the different takes on Bond, I actually think Roger Moore was the only one (maybe due to the length of his tenure) who started small, then went as big as they come (and better imo, at least in the case of TSWLM) , and then dialled it back tremendously - all in the space of his one interpretation. OP, no matter how outlandish, was no where near as big and lavish as TSWLM or MR.

Connery went bigger (his films did not necessarily get better) and then left. Brosnan went bigger (and his films certainly did not improve) and then left. Dalton and Laz did not have a chance to do anything.

Craig has gone bigger. SP will also be bigger from what I'm hearing. Now let's see if they dial it back for B25 or even B26 if he stays around long enough.

I agree that the different approaches are required. It's what gives Bond the lasting legacy it has. However, I don't think a PB type approach will work going forward. Unless the times change again. It will be too easy to make fun of or caricaturize (witness Kingsman this year already).

EON has to the find the essence of Bond and play to that. To me that's excellent writing, location work, plots, villains, cinematography, music, and most importantly, a Bond with presence, charisma and acting skills (this last part is so difficult to achieve - can you imagine how difficult it is for these idiot studio accountants and marketing men to get someone to emulate Daniel Craig. Like Sean Connery, he is a one of a kind. They tried with Chris Pine in Jack Ryan - Shadow Recruit and failed miserably. On paper, Craig shouldn't work. In reality he does. The 'x' factor in spades).

What worries me is the possible switch out of Sony. If that happens we may have to reinvent the wheel based on the new studio. That is a big risk.
    NicNac wrote: »

Yes, but that's only your personal opinion (as you say), so you don't need to fear for SP, because many believe SF is Craig's best. It's all subjective isn't it?

@NicNac that is absolutely true hence the "I fear" in the sentence.

For me SF is easily overrated in what they did, a poor story that did not even try to make sense in any way, with bigger plotholes than the holes that made the Titanic sink actually. But people keep telling me that the characterization was great, I never once complained about Craigs Bond, which is excellent. the movies since CR have gone downhill first with a terrible copy of a Bourne movie and then Mendes attempt at a Batman movie I read far too often. for me SF makes MR's central plot look like sheer logic. Mendes wanted too much and tied to little logical storytelling to the story.

If SF was Craigs best what the heck was CR then? As a movie easily and comfortable the best he did so far, once again my humble opinion.

With Mendes around I am not sure we'll get anything better than SF unless somebody slaps the man around his ears with the script until the story makes sense. I would gladly volunteer for that job.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 17,696
    it is fair comment to say that he was not revered as much at the end of his tenure as the beginning.
    By whom? Casual fans? Nuts like us?
    I liked his first two better than his second two, but that never had an affect on how I perceived his Bond.
    NicNac wrote: »

@NicNac that is absolutely true hence the "I fear" in the sentence.

For me SF is easily overrated in what they did, a poor story that did not even try to make sense in any way, with bigger plotholes than the holes that made the Titanic sink actually. But people keep telling me that the characterization was great, I never once complained about Craigs Bond, which is excellent. the movies since CR have gone downhill first with a terrible copy of a Bourne movie and then Mendes attempt at a Batman movie I read far too often. for me SF makes MR's central plot look like sheer logic. Mendes wanted too much and tied to little logical storytelling to the story.

If SF was Craigs best what the heck was CR then? As a movie easily and comfortable the best he did so far, once again my humble opinion.

With Mendes around I am not sure we'll get anything better than SF unless somebody slaps the man around his ears with the script until the story makes sense. I would gladly volunteer for that job.

Really really hope the story and the writing on SP are a step up from SF. Same team though, so not sure I'll get what I want.

Totally agree that classic Bond has to start with the story, plot, writing. I really wish EON could find a quality long term replacement for Purvis and Wade. Surely it can't be that hard? Even have a couple of writers coming up with speculative plots and outlines on a regular basis.
    TB looks great and has some classic performances and scenes, but overall I find it very dull. Less than the sum of its parts.
    I don't find TB dull in the least- my main beef with it is the speeded up action.
    it is fair comment to say that he was not revered as much at the end of his tenure as the beginning.
    By whom? Casual fans? Nuts like us?
    I liked his first two better than his second two, but that never had an affect on how I perceived his Bond.

Certainly some of us nuts, but also casual fans and at least a number of critics.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't find TB dull in the least- my main beef with it is the speeded up action.

That is an odd, annoying and, so far as I can tell, unnecessary effect. IT hurts an otherwise perfect fight scene (PTS).
    I can sort of deal with it in the PTS. It's the boat climax that irritates me.
    The Jet pack is silly (mainly because of the helmet IMO), but overall TB is pretty much a masterpiece.
    And as much as I love Dalton & Brosnan, I have to say the only actually flawless Bond movie to date is FRWL.

FRWL is something I only watch once in a few years, and on special occasions. Like TB actually. Both are like fine wine imo.....to be treasured and not overused. CR almost cracks that list but sits a little below these masterpieces.

To quite a lot lesser degree, I also try not to overwatch the Dalton films, TSWLM & GE as well, but rather, only on occasion.

I guess you know which are my favourites now...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames with my favoritr Bond's (OHMSS, FRWL, GE, TND, CR, TLD, LTK, QOS, TWSLM, FYEO, OP) I try to do double features with another Bond film, or even a non-Bond film and I can watch them often without losing the magic feeling. QOS and Bourne Ultimatum is insane fun to do, because there's so much action put together you're in for a thrill ride. CR and MI:4 is epic too.
    That's a great idea @DaltonCraig007.

I actually have done that twice before, both times with FRWL & North by Northwest - and really enjoyed them both.

I'll have to try and pair up a few others. You're right that QoS and a Bourne film would really go well together. CR & Mi4 could work well also.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2015 Posts: 15,694
    I'd like to try TND and Face Off, or GE with The Rock, as I am due a rewatch of these 2 Cage films.
    Could work.

You've got me thinking now. I've not seen Face Off and MI2 for a long while. I might do a Woo double bill soon.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    GoldenEye followed by Mission: Impossible (1996) is a fun double bill.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 15,694
    But back to Dalton, I really hope he will get his own series before he gets too old. Maybe not in the style of November Man, but a spy thriller series that finally gives him the credit he deserves from the general audience.

EDIT: For Woo, I'd love to try Hard Boiled and The Raid as a double bill.
    In the same vain as GoldenEye being a success with Dalton:-

Would The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill have been successes with Craig?
    Would The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill have been successes with Brosnan?
    Would On Her Majesty's Secret Service been a success with Dalton?

etc...