Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    PG1985 wrote: »
    And for the record, Brosnan was not a good Bond (IMO)-- just a pretty boy that all I can think of when I see him in a suit is Stuard Dunmeyer from Mrs. Doubtfire.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! >:/

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Yep.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    PG1985 wrote: »
    The point about Neville Sinclair is something I'd been thinking for years now.... I think if he'd gotten his 3rd Bond flick he absolutely would have come back to the role with a few extra winks, nods, and smiles like he exuded in The Rocketeer.... He needed a 3rd shot to win the purists over.... And for the record, Brosnan was not a good Bond (IMO)-- just a pretty boy that all I can think of when I see him in a suit is Stuard Dunmeyer from Mrs. Doubtfire.

I agree, except he is not really that pretty, is he?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I do think he was more uncomfortable with Bond
    No, I *think* he perceived and consequently played Bond as a character uncomfortable with well-adjusted people. He seemed more at ease with the likes of Sanchez, a fellow edge-surfer...

Sorry I don't buy it. He was good playing against hard men, but not as convincing as a seducer.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I just came across this fan made trailer for a Property of a Lady, Dalton's rumoured 3rd film. Suggests what could have been

Below is a link to an article on some of the Bond scenarios that could have played out. At the bottom there is a good writeup on Bond 17 and how it progressed to GE.....for those who were not aware. Also some interesting stuff on Warhead 2000, McClory's possible 3rd kick at a TB remake with Liam Neeson in the lead.

denofgeek.us/movies/james-bond/233218/the-james-bond-movies-you-never-saw
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Sorry I don't buy it.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Sorry I don't buy it.

Quid?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    If Dalton had remained the 90's era Bond would have been much better. LTK was not succesful compared with previous outings (in financial terms) which is a shame as it was the best Bond film of the 70's and 80's combined......Flemings character brought to life.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    If Dalton had remained the 90's era Bond would have been much better. LTK was not succesful compared with previous outings (in financial terms) which is a shame as it was the best Bond film of the 70's and 80's combined......Flemings character brought to life.

IMHO it has been great that McGlory did do what he did do which gave the franchise its much needed rest from the popular Roger Moore and the unpopular Dalton. Brosnan arriving was refreshing and he brought the franchise back where it belonged namely at the top of the BO and popularity.
    Dalton just did not have it andremains a pipedream for so called Fleming fans. I like flrming a lot and do like the franchise but both are different beasties in nature. Which is perhaps why the franchise is still around and working.

So Dalton failing and McGlory's troubles turned out to be a boon for the franchise, any way you see it.

As has been said before, poor Dalts was all about bad timing.

If he had come in after the overblown MR for example, I'm sure he would have been able to establish himself much faster.

Also, if he had come in after DAD, he would have been much more accepted (assuming he was much younger of course, as his age would have precluded him from playing in CR).

On top of all that speculation, LTK was just ahead of its time. They should not have made that movie when they did, but rather, should have let Dalts establish himself properly before going on such a tangent. TLD was a very good start, but they switched gears way too fast - especially since the audience was still getting used to a new Bond after Moore's looong run. Dalts may have been to blame (not sure if he is the one who demanded such rapid change) but regardless, it was his loss.

He gave us two very endearing and brilliant performances in TLD and LTK, both which have very high rewatch value with me personally.
    Dalton made some very negative comments during the shooting of LTK. That may have sealed his fate, at least in public perception. GE may have done well with him, but I doubt the movie would have been the success it became. I remember the time and people were enthusiastic about Brosnan.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Dalton made some very negative comments during the shooting of LTK. That may have sealed his fate, at least in public perception. GE may have done well with him, but I doubt the movie would have been the success it became. I remember the time and people were enthusiastic about Brosnan.

Only in the US I think. Brosnan didn't have much of a profile anywhere else.

As noted above, Dalton was not 'uncomfortable' as Bond - he was playing the character in a certain way. A more edgy, less suave and comfortable interpretation. As he's shown elsewhere, he can amp up the charm if he wants to. He played Bond in a much more understated way. Some didn't like, some did. It's difficult to argue that he was a huge success as Bond, but he certainly wasn't the disaster that some claim. And given a third film who knows what might have happened to public perceptions and his reputation.

People always say Brosnan should have been allowed to do a fifth to show he could do a decent stripped-back Bond movie after DAD. Well I say Dalton should have got a third, more conventionally fun film, after LTK.

Any way, I've met plenty of people recently who all have a real appreciation for Dalton. He's widely admired by a lot of hardcore Bond fans.

Dalton didn't want to play it like Connery or Moore. For him that was not an interesting thing to do. Like Craig, he wanted to put a different spin on the character. For my money, I prefer Dalton's take to Craig's but I respect both of them for not taking the easy option.

For slightly different reasons I also respect Sir Rog. He followed in the footsteps of a legend and redefined the role in a successful way. All the best Bonds have brought something new to the screen interpretation. If you just copy what's come before, what's the point?
    We are talking about different times and different circumstances. Dalton's tenure is now being reevaluated now on the intrinsic value of his two films. But it says nothing of the circumstances leading to GE. I far prefer OHMSS to DAF, but doubt Lazenby would have been able to make DAF a popular success, or carry Bond through the 70s.

As for Brosnan I am not American and knew of him in the 90s. Heck, I knew he was the heir apparent to Moore in the late 80s. The guy was building his career on Bond! It might not have been elegant to Dalton. But it had its effect on public perception.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2015 Posts: 10,512
    I remember the time and people were enthusiastic about Brosnan.

They were indeed. It's only on forums that I've found vitriolic criticism of Brosnan. Within my wider social circles he's never at the top of anyone's list, but they all think he's great at what he does, which is how I tend to judge him. I don't see how he can be judged in the context of another actor's tenure, which is what a lot of fans tend to do when they're knocking him.
    He did what he was asked to do and for the most part did it excellently imo.

The wider audience crave familiarity and the Brosnan era did that. Whether that's a good thing is up for debate, but it's pretty undeniable. Hence why we saw MP, Q and the GF DB5 in SF and why we'll see even more tropes in SP.

He may not have delivered award-winning performances, but was that something being entertained at the time? No. He was supposed to come in and steady the ship, not rock the boat. 1995 was a not a time to gamble with the franchise like 2006 was. Brosnan did what was asked.
    One more film for Dalton and one less for Brosnan (ie DAD) before moving onto the golden age of Daniel Craig would have been an ideal scenario.
    RC7 wrote: »

They were indeed. It's only on forums that I've found vitriolic criticism of Brosnan. Within my wider social circles he's never at the top of anyone's list, but they all think he's great at what he does, which is how I tend to judge him. I don't see how he can be judged in the context of another actor's tenure, which is what a lot of fans tend to do when they're knocking him.

The wider audience crave familiarity and the Brosnan era did that. Whether that's a good thing is up for debate, but it's pretty undeniable. Hence why we saw MP, Q and the GF DB5 in SF and why we'll see even more tropes in SP.

He may not have delivered award-winning performances, but was that something being entertained at the time? No. He was supposed to come in and steady the ship, not rock the boat. 1995 was a not a time to gamble with the franchise like 2006 was. Brosnan did what was asked.

I agree with and totally accept your point about needing to get things back on an even keel after the relatively lacklustre performance of LTK (in the US at least, since it did perfectly well everywhere else) and the 6 year hiatus, but wasn't the ship sufficiently steadied by 2002 for them not to have made DAD? Did we really need a decade of dull, box-ticking movies just to get things back on track?

I can't deny that Brosnan was a commercial success, but surely Bond has aspirations above being JUST a money making machine. I'm not disparaging the desire to be popular and profitable - that's at the heart of what has made Bond a success. But it just felt like the Brosnan films lacked any soul.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    To answer the original question,no, don' t think so. Dalton is my favourite Bond, I really love him but I don't see do any better against the combined forces o U.S. audience and the studio. You can only ever fight so hard, beyond a point success becomes impossible.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »

I agree with and totally accept your point about needing to get things back on an even keel after the relatively lacklustre performance of LTK (in the US at least, since it did perfectly well everywhere else) and the 6 year hiatus, but wasn't the ship sufficiently steadied by 2002 for them not to have made DAD? Did we really need a decade of dull, box-ticking movies just to get things back on track?

I can't deny that Brosnan was a commercial success, but surely Bond has aspirations above being JUST a money making machine. I'm not disparaging the desire to be popular and profitable - that's at the heart of what has made Bond a success. But it just felt like the Brosnan films lacked any soul.

It was steadied by TND. They then tried to shift the weight towards drama with TWINE, but they obviously didn't have the balls to follow through and kept the fundamental and familiar elements, which served to undercut the drama. DAD was a reaction to that, but swung back so far in the other direction that it almost killed EON's own personal interest by all accounts. They basically didn't know what to do with 007 post 99 and I don't blame Broz for that, I blame B&M. Broz was still top notch in DAD despite the film falling apart around him. Much like DC in QoS. No one criticises DC for that films flaws, the same way I don't blame Broz for the actions of the creatives he was burdened with. You can see a similar pattern in the DC era, SF was a reaction to QoS and more of the 'familiar' will be back in SP. The advantage DC has is that most of the budget is now being spent on enough talent behind the cameras to avoid too many glaring problems.
    I for one would rather watch either of the Dalton films over any of the Brosnan movies, which for me is all that matters.
  • RC7RC7
    I for one would rather watch either of the Dalton films over any of the Brosnan movies, which for me is all that matters.

I love them both. I don't really dwell too much on the what ifs. It happened. I enjoy what we've got, rather than crave what we haven't.

I love them both. I don't really dwell too much on the what ifs. It happened. I enjoy what we've got, rather than crave what we haven't.

i think the issue here, or rather the point of dispute, is that many people use a lot of "if" to defend a hypothetical success of GE as Dalton. There are reasons why he did not come back to do GE. They may have been unfair, but this is what happened. If they thought Dalton could have done as well, in terms of popularity, then thy would have made sure he stayed for one more Bond. It did not happen. And GE was not a success sorely because of Brosnan, but the fact that there was a new actor for Bond certainly generated interest for the movie.

i think the issue here, or rather the point of dispute, is that many people use a lot of "if" to defend a hypothetical success of GE as Dalton. There are reasons why he did not come back to do GE. They may have been unfair, but this is what happened. If they thought Dalton could have done as well, in terms of popularity, then thy would have made sure he stayed for one more Bond. It did not happen. And GE was not a success sorely because of Brosnan, but the fact that there was a new actor for Bond certainly generated interest for the movie.

Slight distortion of the facts. I think Cubby and Babs were very committed to keeping Dalton but the studio, and perhaps just one individual in particular, were adament that he should be replaced. That sadly is the legacy of Harry's decision to sell his stake to UA rather than Cubby.

We should not underestimate EON's ability to turn around a seemingly dire situation. They'd done it several times before and there is no reason to assume that they wouldn't have delivered the ship-steadying entry required with Dalton in the lead in 1995. As has been stated countless times before, LTK performed poorly IN THE US, for a wide range of reasons, not purely because of Dalton's supposed poor reception there. And by 1995 the US was becoming increasingly less important in terms of a film's overall financial performance.

I agree this all hypothetical, but that is what fan sites like this are for, surely?

I wish I could share in your enjoyment of the Brosnan era, but for me it's an enterainment-free zone - a dead period that registers almost an extension of the post-89 hiatus. Bond didn't return again until 2006 for me.
    I agree that EON can turn basically anything around. They've proven it time and time again and have the longest running successful movie franchise as proof.

However, I stand by my point earlier that LTK was a big mistake. While die hard fans love the movie, it was not the right film for the time for the majority of the movie going audience. I believe a lot of people in the late 80's actually wanted Bond to go back to the somewhat fantastical 70's approach (not quite MR, but at least TSWLM) and were waiting for a new Bond to take them there. The dialed back, rougher, more gritty LTK was not what they expected of Bond at that time, or for that matter, what they wanted. I also think that people at the time expected Bond to be smooth in the Roger Moore vein. They did not want book-like realism from Bond, but rather, escapism in 1989.

I agree that by 1995, a more realistic take may have worked, and EON certainly could have been able to keep Dalton and the take the series back to the TLD type approach, which likely could have worked very well then. Patriot Games had already come out, as had True Lies and the 90's were a different time to the 80's.

In fact, the concert in Vienna in TLD looks very similar to the dance scene in Europe in True Lies, which came out in 1994. Many aspects of True Lies remind me of TLD.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    One more film for Dalton and one less for Brosnan (ie DAD) before moving onto the golden age of Daniel Craig would have been an ideal scenario.

If Brosnan made one less, there wouldn't be Daniel Craig as Bond, because the sequel to TWINE would have been made in 2002-2003, before Craig made Layer Cake and arrived on the radar, so another actor would have been chosen.
    The best thing that can be said about the Brosnan era is that it finally demonstrated to EON that the path they'd been on in 1989 was actually a much more interesting one than churning out endless inferior Roger Moore era knock-offs. I.e. after a major detour, it turned out alright in the end. I'm not a fan of SF, but give me SF over the Brosnan era any day.
    Agreed on that note. I'll personally take SF over any Brosnan era Bond as well. They were just rehashes imho but I did not see anything really new during that time, either from the actor in question or from the series. They did appear for the most part like inferior Moore knockoffs to me, even at that time (this is not revisionist on my part). Only GE appeared fresh to me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Well, during the 90's, you had True Lies, Con Air, The Rock, Face Off, Hard Boiled, Mission Impossible 2, so I doubt a serious, adult Bond like Dalton or Craig would have worked next to those films, so Brosnan's Bond was in his element. Whether his outings were as good as these other action films is up to debate, but IMO they were just as good. In all the films I mentioned the only 'action character' with class and sophistication was Brosnan's Bond.
    You're taking me back @DaltonCraig007. I must pencil in some of those flicks for a rewatch soon. The Rock and Face Off in particular.
    @bondjames The Rock is also on my rewatch list!
    Come one , The Rock is great. Much better than a Brosnan Bond movie. In fact most of those films are better.