Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Personally I think the two Dalton films are a more interesting and personally, entertaining, watch than the Brosnan films
    Agreed completely.
    The Brosnan era was all about a nostalgia ride - riffing off the Roger Moore era and ticking endless boxes.
    Again, agreed completely, but I loved them anyway.

Fair enough. I was primarily disputing the argument made above that the Brosnan era was some kind of creative rebirth. Whether you like them or not, I think it's hard to argue that they took the series into interesting new territory. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes the old ways are the best, after all. But I think it's nonsense to claim that the 6 year gap gave EON the opportunity to think afresh. What they did is just go back to a tried and tested formula.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I think it's nonsense to claim that the 6 year gap gave EON the opportunity to think afresh. What they did is just go back to a tried and tested formula.
    Much to Brosnan's chagrin.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I think it's nonsense to claim that the 6 year gap gave EON the opportunity to think afresh. What they did is just go back to a tried and tested formula.
    Much to Brosnan's chagrin.

I have no doubt. I have always been one of those who've said that Brosnan was capable of a much more interesting take on the character. He showed in the Tailor of Panama that he can act, when given a decent script and direction. I personally never felt the screen depiction of Bond that he/EON pursued during his era, suited his own strengths. He would have been a lot better as someone who was a bit nastier and more morally ambiguous. His Bond is too clean cut and straight down the line - there's no edge, no danger. He should have been a bit more twisted. Who is his Bond? Who cares? I don't think Brosnan ever really knew what he or EON were after. Despite all the nice talk from Barbara, I have no doubt in my mind that EON felt Brosnan had not delivered the complexity and range they wanted and that this is one of the reasons they got rid of him. He is after all the only Bond actor to have ever been effectively sacked - I think that is a sign of how bad things were from EON's perspective. Yes EON are interested in making money, but Bond is more than just that for them - it's something they're passionate about and they want to make quality movies. A Tarantino-directed Brosnan film would have been something I'd like to have seen. I just think Tarantino could have gotten something out of him that no one else could - a really different and original take on the character.
    I just think Tarantino could have gotten something out of him that no one else good - a really different and original take on the character.
    No argument here.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The issue of commercial success aside, I'm saying that your average filmgoer, at least in the US, was no longer excited about a new Bond film. The buzz was gone. I believe that to a small extent the Brosnan era brought that back. To be fair to Dalton, that insanity over Bond was pretty much over with by 1979 anyway. I guess STAR WARS saw to that. When I was a kid growing up in the '60s and '70s (and those "Originals" can surely attest to this) a new Bond film was huge. It was a full blown event, showing up in all media. Kids, adults..it was everywhere. Their is nothing I can compare that anticipation and reception to, aside from, as I mentioned, STAR WARS.

Fair enough. I can't argue with that. I do think Dalton was an attempt to make things fresh and relevant again though. Perhaps he failed in doing that in the US (although, as I say, the contemporary US reviews for LTK are actually, despite what you'd think, generally very positive).
    The issue of commercial success aside, I'm saying that your average filmgoer, at least in the US, was no longer excited about a new Bond film. The buzz was gone. I believe that to a small extent the Brosnan era brought that back. To be fair to Dalton, that insanity over Bond was pretty much over with by 1979 anyway. I guess STAR WARS saw to that. When I was a kid growing up in the '60s and '70s (and those "Originals" can surely attest to this) a new Bond film was huge. It was a full blown event, showing up in all media. Kids, adults..it was everywhere. Their is nothing I can compare that anticipation and reception to, aside from, as I mentioned, STAR WARS.
    Yes, the Bond Event was killed in '79. But Brosnan did bring it back...
    edited March 2015 Posts: 17,702
    I didn't want Pierce in '87, the choice seemed to be cheesy. That EON would pick a television Bond knock off to play the real article was distasteful.
    You never liked Remington Steele!
    :))

And Moore came directly from The Persuaders....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    But Brosnan brought Bond back to the forefront. Certainly not alone. The scope, the humor, the budget, etc., were more in line with the public perception of what a Bond film should be.

I agree that Brosnan was very effective in bringing Bond back in GE. It was a masterpiece of a movie on a shoestring budget that holds up very well even today (one of my favourite Bond films on entertainment value and acting alone). However, in my view, he started to lose that 'cool' factor in the very next film. I can't quite put my finger on it, but GE was such a great start that was never capitalized on imho - which is so sad. It's like Brosnan's Bond was caught in this twilight zone from the past - not knowing who he wanted to be.

Having said that, I don't think he could have given us a really great Bond without going to the edge and the extremes - like he did in Tailor of Panama. Daniel Craig can do 'cool' but disturbed Bond much better than Brosnan can. Brosnan to me can play it all cool (like in GE) or all crazy (like ToP) - but not in between imho. Craig can do both in the same movie more convincingly. So for a great Brosnan Bond performance we needed Tarrantino to take it to the edge. Brosnan knew that I think - which is why he wanted Quentin. EON probably did not want that.

I have to say though that when I first saw TLD in the theatre in 1987, I was amazed with Tim's take on the character and the movie itself, which was great to me from the opening Bondian reel - apart from the lack of babes which as a fairly young fella I was disappointed with. Kara was quite underwhelming to a boy with raging hormones who preferred to see the likes of Anya's wholesome chest (Ringo is a lucky man) to Kara's slightly matronly clothed character in TLD. LTK, as I've said before, came too soon in Tim's reign. They should have had one more under their belt to establish his Bond before taking such a creative tangent.

Ironically, as Brosnan proved in ToP, he could do an LTK-crazy type movie in 2001 (but certainly not in 1989) - it's just that EON never game him that chance.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 17,702
    bondjames wrote: »
    Kara was quite underwhelming to a boy with raging hormones
    Oh my, you never bought Playboys back then, eh?

playboy-dabo.jpg
    bondjames wrote: »
    Kara was quite underwhelming to a boy with raging hormones
    Oh my, you never bought Playboys back then, eh?

playboy-dabo.jpg

They were always on the top shelf in my local corner shop, sadly, and my id was not good enough. I have to admit, if I'd seen that photo earlier, my opinion might have changed considerably. I always preferred her cousin from the Wonder Years, though. Olivia.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Maryam wasn't gifted in the boob category. Cubby mustn't have had a say then
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    When I was a kid growing up in the '60s and '70s (and those "Originals" can surely attest to this) a new Bond film was huge. It was a full blown event, showing up in all media. Kids, adults..it was everywhere. Their is nothing I can compare that anticipation and reception to, aside from, as I mentioned, STAR WARS.

As ( I suppose) one of the "Originals" being referenced here, I'll corroborate that. The folks who nit pick GF and TB really ought to keep this point in mind. Without the immense goodwill generated in the mind of the general public by those two films in particular, it is entirely possible that the Bond franchise may not have survived the damage wrought by some of the later, lesser films (whichever you perceive those to be.)

As I have said before, I have no horse in the Brosnan/Dalton battle. They were both fine in the role, but you can wipe out every Bond film released from 1978 to 2005 and you haven't effected my Top Ten.

That's too bad. I'm proud to proclaim that each Bond actor has at least l film in my own Top 10. Brosnan gets 1 for GE, Dalton gets 1 for TLD, and the Lazenator gets his solo offering in there as well. This leaves 2 for Moore (TMWTGG and FYEO), 2 for Craig (CR and SF) and 3 for Connery (FRWL, GF and TB.)

The first half of TLD is fantastic, but I agree it flags in the second half. Not unheard of in the Bond series. The Afghan scenes are particularly painful to watch, given what's happened in the intervening years. Just proves that Bond is better off generally stearing clear of too much real world politics.
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 260
    But the main point that I was disagreeing with above is the idea that there was some kind of creative reawakening during the Brosnan era. I dispute that 100%.

Indeed I feel the same way. I'm not at all shy about saying the Brosnan area is my least favored, and not because of Brosnan himself, but rather because the whole arc of his tenure I somewhat tongue-in-cheek refer to as "the machine gun era": almost generic action movies with little to no "spy" feel at all.

Well, you guys don't need to do any convincing with me.
    I'll fully admit that the 90's saw Bond movies all actioned-up to compete in the market, but just like Tarzan Yells, slide whistles & fish dropped out of Lotuses, occasional excessive machine gun fire can be ignored.
    By ME, anyway.
    ;)
    I'll fully admit that the 90's saw Bond movies all actioned-up to compete in the market, but just like Tarzan Yells, slide whistles & fish dropped out of Lotuses, occasional excessive machine gun fire can be ignored.
    By ME, anyway.
    ;)

Fair enough. What I don't understand though is that in my mind, the 80s were the heyday of the mindless action flick and Bond managed to ignore that and steer its own course. By the mid 90s, hadn't things begun to move on? Why hark back to the previous decade. It seemed pointless.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I am too young to have lived through the 1980's, but it seems several members who were alive back then are saying Bond films had gotten stale by the 80's, not in terms of quality but they were not big 'events' anymore. With the arrival of Lethal Weapon, Rambo, Die Hard and such others, Bond was lost in the big wave of new action movies and franchises. Now I am not claiming Brosnan's films were a fresh start in terms of quality or anything, but the 6 years gap did help making the latest Bond film an event. With Craig it went through the roof, but it started with Brozza. I didn"t watch my first Bond film until the summer of 2001 but I very well remember there were a lot of stuff on TV for the PR of 2 films I had no idea what their titles were, which years later I discovered were TWINE and DAD. For TWINE in particular I remember the media where I lived went bananas over the film, there were features, interviews, clips, everything.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,927
    Maryam wasn't gifted in the boob category. Cubby mustn't have had a say then

She might have had exceptional feet. If you ask me, beauty is more than just boobies.

Don't read that the wrong way, I do not have a foot fetish.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I am a massive Craig fan. However, he is praised for making Bond hard edged and Fleming! Audiences seem to forget that TD did this years before.....just too soon!
    Completely and utterly disagree with what you guys are saying. Dalton was the new direction they needed. After a six years break they panicked and played it safe, and continued to do so for the next four movies. The Brosnan era was not a creative reboot after time out, it was a creative dead end. What do they do to get things back on track? Cast a proper actor and go back to basics. Deja vu all over again !

Perfectly put! Yes.
    I am too young to have lived through the 1980's, but it seems several members who were alive back then are saying Bond films had gotten stale by the 80's, not in terms of quality but they were not big 'events' anymore. With the arrival of Lethal Weapon, Rambo, Die Hard and such others, Bond was lost in the big wave of new action movies and franchises. Now I am not claiming Brosnan's films were a fresh start in terms of quality or anything, but the 6 years gap did help making the latest Bond film an event. With Craig it went through the roof, but it started with Brozza. I didn"t watch my first Bond film until the summer of 2001 but I very well remember there were a lot of stuff on TV for the PR of 2 films I had no idea what their titles were, which years later I discovered were TWINE and DAD. For TWINE in particular I remember the media where I lived went bananas over the film, there were features, interviews, clips, everything.

May be. May be EON's marketing just improved, after the catastophe surrounding LTK's launch in the US? After GE (which was keenly anticipated) I don't remember any particularly great excitement around the Brosnan era movies. They seemed to be just regular, well promoted movies. Of course, it's Bond, so for the fans it's a bigger deal. But not sure TND, TWINE or DAD registered as major 'event movies'. I think SF is definitely the one that's had the biggest buzz around it in recent times, largely due to Adele's song, I think.

But yes, there's been a consistent and solid approach to the marketing since the start of the Brosnan era, which is definitely a good thing.
    After Moores films became to light and comedy driven, we got the brilliant Dalton. After Brosnans films became to light and comedy driven, we got the brilliant Criag. Yes LTK was influenced by Die Hard and Lethel Eapon (Kaman and more violence), but no more so than MR was influnced by Star wars or CR was influenced by Bourne. That's how 007 in succesful, it adapts.

May be. May be EON's marketing just improved, after the catastophe surrounding LTK's launch in the US? After GE (which was keenly anticipated) I don't remember any particularly great excitement around the Brosnan era movies. They seemed to be just regular, well promoted movies. Of course, it's Bond, so for the fans it's a bigger deal. But not sure TND, TWINE or DAD registered as major 'event movies'. I think SF is definitely the one that's had the biggest buzz around it in recent times, largely due to Adele's song, I think.

But yes, there's been a consistent and solid approach to the marketing since the start of the Brosnan era, which is definitely a good thing.

Agreed. GE had the most buzz by far of the Brozz era due to a new Bond and the return after so many years (the teaser - "You were expecting someone else" was brilliant). The others were just regular action movies. In fact, TND was eclipsed by the juggernaut that was Titanic for most of its run.

For Craig, CR had a reasonable amount of buzz just because of the new Bond and the swimtrunk marketing which was very smartly done.....and of course excellent word of mouth. SF was off the chart due to the jubilee and 50th anniversary.

I agree about the 80's though - the John Glen era that started with the toned down FYEO was the most underwhelming (in terms of overall box office appeal and event marketing), although 1983 was an exception due to the Battle of the Bonds.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I wasn't saying the Brosnan films were the most anticipated of their respective years, but the marketing campaign during the Brosnan era had improved greatly from the 1980's. i am pretty sure if EON had put the same amount of energy in the PR for the Dalton films, he would have been much more successful. It seems by the mid 80's EON thought the Bond brand was enough to carry the films.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I am a massive Craig fan. However, he is praised for making Bond hard edged and Fleming! Audiences seem to forget that TD did this years before.....just too soon!

I don't think people praise him for inventing a hard edged Bond, just for being one. I think his Bond is more rounded and three dimensional than previously seen, and although Dalton attempted the same it was Craig who gave Bond a more considered and thoughtful persona. Dalts did all the emotional expressions to help us understand his inner feelings, but it never felt real, not to me anyway.

And this idea that he was ahead of his time. I don't buy that. I was there and the audience was ready to see the jokes and pratfalls put away believe you me. We were ready for a serious minded Bond. I was really happy with TD when I first saw TLD, but I was less convinced by the vigilante he gave us in LTK.

Over the years I've cooled towards him, but what he did give us that no one had before and no one would again, was a Bond who couldn't rest, probably couldn't sleep. He was consumed by the job, and he hated it. He did it because he couldn't think of anyone who would do it better. That was Dalts unique contribution.

NicNac wrote: »

I don't think people praise him for inventing a hard edged Bond, just for being one. I think his Bond is more rounded and three dimensional than previously seen, and although Dalton attempted the same it was Craig who gave Bond a more considered and thoughtful persona. Dalts did all the emotional expressions to help us understand his inner feelings, but it never felt real, not to me anyway.

And this idea that he was ahead of his time. I don't buy that. I was there and the audience was ready to see the jokes and pratfalls put away believe you me. We were ready for a serious minded Bond. I was really happy with TD when I first saw TLD, but I was less convinced by the vigilante he gave us in LTK.

Over the years I've cooled towards him, but what he did give us that no one had before and no one would again, was a Bond who couldn't rest, probably couldn't sleep. He was consumed by the job, and he hated it. He did it because he couldn't think of anyone who would do it better. That was Dalts unique contribution.

Fair comments. I do think he gave a lot with his two performances. I am not quite the ardent Daltonite I used to be either though, partly because I think the job is largely done, in the sense that he has the respect that he deserves. Had he done a couple more I think we'd have a more balanced view of his contribution. He wouldn't just be pigeon-holed as the 'serious' Bond.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Fair comments. I do think he gave a lot with his two performances. I am not quite the ardent Daltonite I used to be either though, partly because I think the job is largely done, in the sense that he has the respect that he deserves. Had he done a couple more I think we'd have a more balanced view of his contribution. He wouldn't just be pigeon-holed as the 'serious' Bond.

Yeeeea, mmm, I know but when he does the flirty, amused Bond it was a sort of goofy self conscious grin that made him look a bit simple. He was at his best when he threw himself into the action scenes, and maybe his two finest moments book ended his Bond career - the PTS in TLD and the tanker chase in LTK. He was very good in both of those.

As to why he didn't make it in USA, the mid to late 80s saw the rise of self mocking beef cake heroes like Bruce Willis and Harrison Ford. Maybe a skinny, slightly grumpy English hero didn't fit.

Yeeeea, mmm, I know but when he does the flirty, amused Bond it was a sort of goofy self conscious grin that made him look a bit simple. He was at his best when he threw himself into the action scenes, and maybe his two finest moments book ended his Bond career - the PTS in TLD and the tanker chase in LTK. He was very good in both of those.

As to why he didn't make it in USA, the mid to late 80s saw the rise of self mocking beef cake heroes like Bruce Willis and Harrison Ford. Maybe a skinny, slightly grumpy English hero didn't fit.

Yes. Dalton does perhaps have a bit of the air of a man out of place. I think it works quite well, but can see where you're coming from.

Harrison Ford and Bruce Willis majored in grumpyness though, so not sure that's all that relevant.

I think the whole opening sequence in Bratislava in TLD is excellent, as is most of the film upto Afghanistan. The TLD PTS is obviously a triumph. One of the best in the series. Perhaps my favourite after GF and TSWLM.
    For me, the issue with Dalton was always charisma. Guys like Arnie, Mel, Sly & Bruce have it in spades.

Dalton may have been technically sound, but he was relatively uncharismatic compared to the 80's crowd - relatively uncool as well.

When you had Willis take action heroes to a new level in Die Hard (1988) the benchmark moved tremendously for everyone imho. From my personal perspective he was like a younger, tougher, American version of wise-cracking, charismatic Roger Moore. The intensity of the close quarters action was also something totally new at that time. It had the same impact as Bourne did in 2002 but for different reasons (for many years after 1988 many movies aped Die Hard). Coincidentally, in both cases (post-DH & post-Bourne) the incumbent Bond exited thereafter, although for completely different reasons.

I agree with the view that has been expressed here before that Dalton's formidable contributions to Bond can only be appreciated in hindsight and retrospect. So in a way, his star is brighter precisely because he only did two - and also because Brosnan who followed did not take the role any further during his 7 yr run - and also because of 911's impact on what we expect from a spy.