"Attempting re-entry", Moonraker appreciation thread

1121314151618»

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I just re-watched MR. The strange thing about that film is how much I love it. I'm usually the guy whose tolerance for silliness in a Bond film is pretty low, yet MR always gets away with its jokes and ridiculousness. It's probably the best Derek Flint film they never made, with Moore outshining Coburn and Barry one-upping Goldsmith. But this film was adopted and raised by the Bond family, and it mysteriously managed to combine the best of both worlds. Moore oozes charm; Meddings, Evans and Wilson pull off amazing visual effects; Barry delivers perhaps his best score ever; Adam creates splendid sets--at the same time, MR drags Bond into fantasy land, dispenses with logic and credibility, and decides that being away from Earth is better than being down to Earth. It serves as a delicious travelogue before it turns into a visually impressive laser party in space. MR is as subtle as a brick through a window (or a Chinese henchman through a Venetian piano), yet it proudly manages to turn its outrageous nonsense into a virtue. As a Bond film, it fails on all accounts from A to Z; but as a Derek Flint film starring James Bond, it behaves as a masterclass example of awesome spy spoofs.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Plenty O'Peter
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    MR is as subtle as a brick through a window

Q the inevitable Q jokes.
    I just re-watched MR. The strange thing about that film is how much I love it. I'm usually the guy whose tolerance for silliness in a Bond film is pretty low, yet MR always gets away with its jokes and ridiculousness. It's probably the best Derek Flint film they never made, with Moore outshining Coburn and Barry one-upping Goldsmith. But this film was adopted and raised by the Bond family, and it mysteriously managed to combine the best of both worlds. Moore oozes charm; Meddings, Evans and Wilson pull off amazing visual effects; Barry delivers perhaps his best score ever; Adam creates splendid sets--at the same time, MR drags Bond into fantasy land, dispenses with logic and credibility, and decides that being away from Earth is better than being down to Earth. It serves as a delicious travelogue before it turns into a visually impressive laser party in space. MR is as subtle as a brick through a window (or a Chinese henchman through a Venetian piano), yet it proudly manages to turn its outrageous nonsense into a virtue. As a Bond film, it fails on all accounts from A to Z; but as a Derek Flint film starring James Bond, it behaves as a masterclass example of awesome spy spoofs.

Simply one of best summaries of why it's okay to love MR I've ever read.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    BT3366 wrote: »

Simply one of best summaries of why it's okay to love MR I've ever read.

Thank you, sir.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 26 Posts: 4,448

MR is at the bottom of my list. I can't love it for all its craziness like I do DAF and TMWTGG. But by all accounts, I admire those who do! Love what you want in the Bond universe!

Nevertheless, this is a terrific take on MR. I may be compelled to watch it for the first time in years.
    Moonraker has one of my all time favourite Bond lines. Having fallen from the cable car, Goodhead to Bond "anything broken" Bonds reply, looking at his ripped suit "only my tailor's heart". Classic
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    I am in Venice now and I can confirm that the obnoxious pigeon flocks for which St Mark’ s square was once infamous are now a thing of the past. It is illegal to feed the pigeons, and they are gone.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited June 26 Posts: 1,660
    I’ve just been to see Moonraker in the cinema. Some observations:
    • The 4K restoration was real nice, one of the better ones so far.
    • The circus Jaws falls into, in the pts, the exterior shot is a model.
    • Bond is genuinely “f***** up” by the astro training machine.
    • Drax’s amazing angular phone he uses to call “recruit a hench” for Jaws
    • So many dummies. Particularly in the boat chase sequence.
    • Special effects hold up really well, even in 4k.
    • Bond is a real wind up merchant towards Holly, its only in the third act when he comes to appreciate the skills she has and he doesnt have and assistance, that all stops. Also, more appreciation of Holly this time, even if Chile’s line delivery is mostly flat.