"Attempting re-entry", Moonraker appreciation thread

Comments

• edited March 2021 Posts: 1,009
    Well, more notes to go (I watch movies when my other hobbies let me, and I have a good bunch):
    - The Mandela Effect on Holly is so strong that I actually CHECKED IF SHE WEARS BRACES WHEN I KNOW PERFECTLY SHE DOESN'T.
    - It's only the second time I've seen MR in OV, and I noticed that in the Castilian Spanish version, Rog's VA Constantino Romero - bless his immortal soul - uttered an extra line when Drax's mook gets pinned on the British Airways billboard. Bond says, in a very annoyed voice: "We'll take more care of you? Well, they can keep it to themselves". I've heard it so many times that I actually missed it in the original film :))
    - John Barry had a brilliant idea getting his 007 theme back for MR, but I can't help but associating it to Sean's Bond. Maybe if he also used it on TMWTTG and/or OP... For AVTAK he created a fantastic successor that didn't stick: the theme used on Snow Job and a couple more cues.
    - Jaws' reaction when Bond - from his point of view - randomly takes off on a glider: "WTF is this freako doin'?". And THEN he notices the waterfall. Priceless performance by Richard Kiel. But, wait, there's more: Jean Tournier and his team's beautiful sequences of Iguazú Falls' sorroundings. Brief, but nothing short of awe-inspiring.
    - A huge willing suspension of disbelief is needed to not think about how Bond can magically go from Brazil to Guatemala in a question of seconds.
    - The anaconda sequence. Now that's the worst scene in this film to me, and maybe a bottom 10 moment of the whole Bond series. "A scene worthy of Ed Wood", as said by a Bond connoisseur in a book (remember Béla Lugosi and/or Martin Landau and the tentacle? So there).
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Quite right that the anaconda looks incredibly fake, especially above water, but that set is beautiful.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Quite right that the anaconda looks incredibly fake, especially above water, but that set is beautiful.

Indeed. It's nothing short of awesome: it's like Blofeld's piranha pit on YOLT, but with random Mesoamerican details that give it an even more comic-book edge.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it’s gorgeous. It’s also one of those Adam sets which has been designed to look good from just one angle, which should be restricting, but it looks so good from that angle it doesn’t matter! :)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I remember reading that every time the anaconda was placed in the pool with the stuntman. The only thing it did was swim to the edge to get out. :D I too love
    that set and the control room, or "Mondrian" set for obvious reasons. Moonraker
    is one of those films best viewed on as large as scree as you can get. On occasion
    I'll watch it on my HD projector and 100 inch screen, for that cinema experience.
    I only have to add the sticky carpets, loud teenagers and people on their mobile
    phones, to make it fully a cinema experience ;)
    OK, final round:
    - Until now, I didn’t notice how self-destructively petty Drax can be: He could have requested for a postponement in the loan of the McGuffin-esque Moonraker and used it for his plan. Given his prestige and influences nobody would have asked anything. Instead, he killed three persons and put Bond on his trail. Jenious 8-|
    - Second time the Q Section hides us that Bond's watch had an opportunely hidden gadget: LALD's rolling blade and MR's micro plastic bomb.
    - My main guilty pleasure in this movie is watching those stupid, luv-luvy Draxy couples bite the dust and end up orbiting the Earth forever as space junk. Cute, brainless psychopaths :-&
    - How many mooks has Bond unwillingly saved in his illustrous career? Many big bads would have left them non the wiser to their doom if not for Bond emerging victorious! (Zorin knew better and went for direct action).
    - I wanted to do a Bananas in Pyjamas joke to Gogol's expense, but nothing came of it.
    - As silly as they looked together, Jaws and Dolly were charming, deserved to live and so they did. Thanks, Christopher Wood! =D>
    - Locations in OUTER SPACE! and that nice Meco Monardo-like rendition of the song. Fitting end to the most outworldly entry in our fav film franchise.

Now, for the extras and I’ll leave this thread to go to Comments while you watch... After watching several non-Bond movies.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I love that disco version of the title song. It even incorporates some of Flight Into Space. I think I prefer it to the original version.
    I see on another thread it's been Bond girl/henchman Irka Bochenko's birthday. She's the "Blond Beauty". Still looking great! The internet says she was born in 1960, so she would've been about 18 or 19 at the time of filming. I happened to see this interview (link), which has great reminiscences about Roger Moore and the film.
    https://bondlocations.com/category/interviews/irka-bochenko/
    Thrasos wrote: »
    I see on another thread it's been Bond girl/henchman Irka Bochenko's birthday. She's the "Blond Beauty". Still looking great! The internet says she was born in 1960, so she would've been about 18 or 19 at the time of filming. I happened to see this interview (link), which has great reminiscences about Roger Moore and the film.
    https://bondlocations.com/category/interviews/irka-bochenko/

Thanks for sharing that. It was a fun little read and nice to have the experiences of some of the lesser-known performers captured instead of the same tired accounts that populate so many of the reference books.

It's also refreshing to hear about how well such a young woman was treated by the cast and crew. With all these stories of casting couches and how poorly women were treated in the entertainment industry those days, it seems Eon took care of them, or at least it's nothing that I've heard pf.

She always stood out in MR with that beckoning to the pyramid and at the museum, by far one of the most beautiful background Bond girls. That's another of those things we just don't get anymore. Out with the glamour and in with the angst.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    I am watching MR again after a long, long while (this time on BluRay, looks stunning really) and what strikes me is that there is a wonderfully quiet, atmospheric 'intermezzo' in the middle of the film that you just don't get in modern Bondfilms anymore:

Following the famous gondola chase there is a 15-20min stretch of dialogue-less snooping around + Bond's fight with the Japanese fella' (sorry I forget his name) in Venice...

The use of Barry's subtle score during the lab-discovery and then suddenly no soundtrack at all during the confrontation, allowing the shattering of glass to really hit home for while really stands out for me - it's probably MR strongest pair of sequences.
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    For a film so widely considered as the goofiest in all of Bond, it really does contain some striking passages of horror and suspense.

As well as the sequences mentioned above, there is Bond strapped into the G-force machine. Did we on any other occasions ever see Moore’s Bond as distressed as we saw him there? Of course there is Corrine Duffour chased by hounds, a scene that wouldn’t be out of place in an Omen film. And then there is Jaws in Rio alleyway.

Usually, such tonal whiplash would be to a films detriment but somehow it adds to Moonraker. Maybe these detours into horror and tension make the sillier parts more palatable. They certainly help to make Drax and his outfit more menacing than they would be otherwise
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    For a film so widely considered as the goofiest in all of Bond, it really does contain some striking passages of horror and suspense.

As well as the sequences mentioned above, there is Bond strapped into the G-force machine. Did we on any other occasions ever see Moore’s Bond as distressed as we saw him there? Of course there is Corrine Duffour chased by hounds, a scene that wouldn’t be out of place in an Omen film. And then there is Jaws in Rio alleyway.

Usually, such tonal whiplash would be to a films detriment but somehow it adds to Moonraker. Maybe these detours into horror and tension make the sillier parts more palatable. They certainly help to make Drax and his outfit more menacing than they would be otherwise

Yes - this is the other thing that really stood out upon re-watching. Moore was - other than in the G-force trainer - never, ever portrayed as getting particularly ruffled or disconcerted - and that scene is genuinely unsettling.
    Yes, and for such a goofy film it has moments of genuine awe and beauty. Lewis Gilbert was good at bringing the sense of grandeur.
    Obviously Barry’s sublime score helped out in that regard, as well as Ken Adam’s designs.

The reveal of Drax’s base in the Amazon for me is such a moment of grandeur. And the flight into space with Barry’s monumental music, and then the reveal of the space station. These moments do bring a sense of awe to the movie that we don’t often see in Bond films. And the sword fight in the glass museum is visually striking

I’m a huge fan of this movie. Never get bored on rewatches.
    ...and it contains one of the funniest lines from the whole franchise:

upon the trio of 007, M and Sir Gray bursting into what they think is the lab in Venice:

Drax: "Frederick Gray! What a surprise. And in distinguished company, all wearing gas masks... You must excuse me, gentlemen; not being English, I sometimes find your sense of humor rather difficult to follow.."

:))
    Drax’s droll and dry manner is something I genuinely love about the movie. Hence my name on this site….
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,006
    The majority of the first half of Moonraker is really quite breathtaking filmmaking. Certainly, the G force scene, Corrine’s death, snooping around Venice and the lab, the Rio establishing shots/hotel entry and Carnival/alleyway scenes are top notch Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Drax’s droll and dry manner is something I genuinely love about the movie. Hence my name on this site….

And cucumber sandwiches? Those are great as well, with a little cheese and mayonnaise. Perhaps some tomato and pepper.
    “May I press you to a cucumber sandwich?”

(Afternoon tea being England’s one contribution to Western civilisation apparently )

It’s admirable the restraint they showed in the G-Force sequence.You’d expect Rogers Bond to have a one liner once he saves himself and is helped out of the machine by Holly.But he just looks absolutely terrified,shaken and in pushing Holly away,completely not knowing who to trust.Rogers acting is incredible here.

AstonLotus wrote: »

It’s admirable the restraint they showed in the G-Force sequence.You’d expect Rogers Bond to have a one liner once he saves himself and is helped out of the machine by Holly.
    R.20d03637f4492ae74d647df5f281119a?rik=i6hyRYKI57EfOw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.anorak.co.uk%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f02%2fmoonraker15.png&ehk=ofyCEVmTPGVF3iay%2fISnhOsHX2NxsKm02v8Rw79zsxM%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    "I was shaken, but not stirred."
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

It’s admirable the restraint they showed in the G-Force sequence.You’d expect Rogers Bond to have a one liner once he saves himself and is helped out of the machine by Holly.
    R.20d03637f4492ae74d647df5f281119a?rik=i6hyRYKI57EfOw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.anorak.co.uk%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f02%2fmoonraker15.png&ehk=ofyCEVmTPGVF3iay%2fISnhOsHX2NxsKm02v8Rw79zsxM%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

A really well shot, suspenseful sequence. Moore is really good here. He looks seriously frazzled. Love the way he pushes Holly's arm away and looks super pissed off.

I think the Centrifuge sequence is something Fleming would have loved.

A really well shot, suspenseful sequence. Moore is really good here. He looks seriously frazzled. Love the way he pushes Holly's arm away and looks super pissed off.

I think the Centrifuge sequence is something Fleming would have loved.

Yes mate! Moore really does sell this sequence, as he does the bomb diffusing scene in OP!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, although he has the reputation of being the unflappable button-pressing Bond, I think he actually has way more moments of drama and vulnerability than Sean ever does.
    Last couple of seconds aside, it still has one of the coolest pre title sequences in the series.
    AncientEvenIberianmidwifetoad-size_restricted.gif
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes, although he has the reputation of being the unflappable button-pressing Bond, I think he actually has way more moments of drama and vulnerability than Sean ever does.

And I've always said due to that demeanor and the throwaway lines, it made many of Moore's serious scenes much more convincing and dramatic. This works better than Dalton trying to sell a one-liner, for instance as far as stepping out of the comfort zone.

I also like the confrontation with Orlov on the train in OP. That's a nice, underrated confrontation scene.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited February 2022 Posts: 3,985
    BT3366 wrote: »

And I've always said due to that demeanor and the throwaway lines, it made many of Moore's serious scenes much more convincing and dramatic. This works better than Dalton trying to sell a one-liner, for instance as far as stepping out of the comfort zone.

I also like the confrontation with Orlov on the train in OP. That's a nice, underrated confrontation scene.

The Orlov confrontation is my favourite Moore scene. He's deadly serious and it's an intense scene. Well written as well.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

The Orlov confrontation is my favourite Moore scene. He's deadly serious and it's an intense scene. Well written as well.

Moore knew how to turn up the dramatics when he had to...other examples are the confession scene to Anya in TSWLM and finding Tibbett's body in AVTAK.

He was underrated.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes it certainly means those dramatic moments actually hit a bit harder because we’re not really expecting them from him. I always say if another actor had done OHMSS it should have been Roger rather than Sean: he was far more human than Sean was in the part.

Speaking about OP it is interesting to note that, while it’s not exactly one of the most grounded Bond films, there are still way more moments of tension, drama and even emotion than there were in NSNA, which came out the same year. And he got to do a Tarzan yell too :)

Yes it certainly means those dramatic moments actually hit a bit harder because we’re not really expecting them from him. I always say if another actor had done OHMSS it should have been Roger rather than Sean: he was far more human than Sean was in the part.

Speaking about OP it is interesting to note that, while it’s not exactly one of the most grounded Bond films, there are still way more moments of tension, drama and even emotion than there were in NSNA, which came out the same year. And he got to do a Tarzan yell too :)

NSNA got more than its fair share of good will on the basis that Connery was back. There are other positives, but not enough to make it that good. If anything, it forces the humor in at the expense of dramatic moments. Brandauer gets the few good ones.