The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

Samuel001 wrote:
    It was because he was maimed in Licence To Kill.

That's a good explanation. That would mean that the events of LTK had taken place in the GoldenEye timeline and that Brosnan's Bond was the same character as Dalton's Bond and that GE was not a reboot. The problem is that it was suggested that Dalton's Bond was the same character as the first three (there is a Tracy reference in LTK) which would mean that Brosnan's Bond was the same character as Connery/Lazenby/Moore/Dalton, and Brosnan was too young to the same character.

One word: retcon.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It was because he was maimed in Licence To Kill.

That's a good explanation. That would mean that the events of LTK had taken place in the GoldenEye timeline and that Brosnan's Bond was the same character as Dalton's Bond and that GE was not a reboot. The problem is that it was suggested that Dalton's Bond was the same character as the first three (there is a Tracy reference in LTK) which would mean that Brosnan's Bond was the same character as Connery/Lazenby/Moore/Dalton, and Brosnan was too young to the same character.

One word: retcon.

Indeed.
  • I have a question about Octopussy:

I understand why General Orlov wanted to set off the bomb at the U.S. airbase, but why was Kamal Khan in on it?
    I have a question about Octopussy:

I understand why General Orlov wanted to set off the bomb at the U.S. airbase, but why was Kamal Khan in on it?

Pure greed...he was getting all the jewelry as a pay off for helping Orlov,including the Romanov Star.

• If you look closely enough you can spot Timothy Dalton in the title credits of Skyfall as Adele "sings" the theme intro ?

Anyone else validate this ?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    The Acrostar Mini Jet in Octopussy was originally meant to be used in Moonraker but whereabouts in that film?
  • How did Bond survive getting shot at the start of YOLT? Were blanks used? What about the blood? Was that fake? Were the people "shooting" him in on it?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The Acrostar Mini Jet in Octopussy was originally meant to be used in Moonraker but whereabouts in that film?

I think it was going to be the PTS but MGW came up with the idea for the Freefall combat and Cubby went with that instead.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    How did Bond survive getting shot at the start of YOLT? Were blanks used? What about the blood? Was that fake? Were the people "shooting" him in on it?
    Well, according to Moneypenny they fixed him up with the girl so I presume that she was in on it. As far as the shooters go I have no idea. Perhaps Q made the bed bulletproof and the blood was fake? If so then the police must have been in on it as well. It truly is a mystery.
  • Is Fekkesh's, er... Secretary one of the greatest heroines of the Bond series, taking a bullet just to save another person's life, or is it just that the scene is plain silly (Oh, my, I fell so in love in 45 seconds!).
  • If you look closely enough you can spot Timothy Dalton in the title credits of Skyfall as Adele "sings" the theme intro ?

Anyone else validate this ?

I've seen the credits many times and I never noticed anything like that.
    pachazo wrote:
    How did Bond survive getting shot at the start of YOLT? Were blanks used? What about the blood? Was that fake? Were the people "shooting" him in on it?
    Well, according to Moneypenny they fixed him up with the girl so I presume that she was in on it. As far as the shooters go I have no idea. Perhaps Q made the bed bulletproof and the blood was fake? If so then the police must have been in on it as well. It truly is a mystery.

The whole sequence never made any sense to me. Surely there were easier and just as effective ways to fake one's death.

Is Fekkesh's, er... Secretary one of the greatest heroines of the Bond series, taking a bullet just to save another person's life, or is it just that the scene is plain silly (Oh, my, I fell so in love in 45 seconds!).

I always assumed that Moore pulled a page out of Connery's book and used her as a human shield. Either that or the women had serious shortage of real men in her life ;)
  • 1. Could Max Zorin have survived falling off the blimp into the water?
    2. What became of General Koskov? We assume that he was executed...
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Murdock wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think it was going to be the PTS but MGW came up with the idea for the Freefall combat and Cubby went with that instead.

What else? ;) Maybe this would have improved the opening.

If this is where it was meant to go, I'm not sure how this bypassed me!

• Is Fekkesh's, er... Secretary one of the greatest heroines of the Bond series, taking a bullet just to save another person's life, or is it just that the scene is plain silly (Oh, my, I fell so in love in 45 seconds!).

I always assumed that Moore pulled a page out of Connery's book and used her as a human shield. Either that or the women had serious shortage of real men in her life ;)

I think I'll put this in the "undermine" thread...
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    1. Could Max Zorin have survived falling off the blimp into the water?
    Well, Jaws survived falling out of a plane without a parachute and Bond survived getting shot and falling off the train into the water in SF. So I think it's entirely possible in the James Bond Universe!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    There's a small possibility Zorin would've survived the fall. Every now and then you hear a news story of someone miraculously surviving a fall like that. However, he would've broken many bones in his body, including his legs- and likely would've drowned soon after.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's possible that Zorin survived. There are people who have fallen 20,000 - 30,000 feet before and managed to survive. Was it probable? No, but there was a small chance he could've survived.
  • QBranch wrote:
    There's a small possibility Zorin would've survived the fall. Every now and then you hear a news story of someone miraculously surviving a fall like that. However, he would've broken many bones in his body, including his legs- and likely would've drowned soon after.

See he wouldn't be Christopher Walkin'
    QBranch wrote:

• edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    In Everything Or Nothing Willam Dafoe wanted revenge for the death of Zorin. So if you take the games as canon, then he's definitely dead.

Actually come to think of it, if you put Everything Or Nothing in the same universe as the films then it's even more evidence against the code name theory. Bond has clearly met Jaws before (TSWLM and MR) and it's meant to be the same Bond who killed Zorin, meaning Brosnan is the same character as Moore.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    QBranch wrote:

Tell us how it feels to win the internet, @LegateDamar.
  • I thought it was pretty funny!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:

The Acrostar MiniJet was originally scripted to be in Moonraker where 007 eludes Jaws on the Amazon River. However, the scene was scrapped when the river bed dried up and the scene became unusable.
    http://www.geocities.ws/d.warejr/acrostar.html

Benny wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

The Acrostar MiniJet was originally scripted to be in Moonraker where 007 eludes Jaws on the Amazon River. However, the scene was scrapped when the river bed dried up and the scene became unusable.
    http://www.geocities.ws/d.warejr/acrostar.html

Thanks for the answer @benny!
  • In Moonraker, what happens to Drax's "master race" in space? Do they all die?
    With the station blowing up, one would assume so.
    It's also possible they all could have piled into the other moonraker shuttles and escaped.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 19,339
    I would say that what was left of them after Colonel Scott's crew had blasted most of them away would have blown up on the space station,as IIRC the other Moonraker shuttles disintegrating with the space station.
  • They didn't really say what happened to them.
    And Christopher Wood didn't say anything about it in the novelization either. "What Happened to the Mouse ?" indeed.