The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    What is the martial arts practice in TMWTGG called? With the two swords, in Thailand?
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    If you wanted to start a war between the US and USSR, why would you capture space capsules (or subs) belonging to both sides? Surely it would make infinitely more sense to capture only American crafts, so that instead of being plausibly (or almost certainly) caused by a third party, it would look like the USSR was behind it and the hothead Yanks would do the rest?

It doesn't make any sense.
    If you wanted to start a war between the US and USSR, why would you capture space capsules (or subs) belonging to both sides? Surely it would make infinitely more sense to capture only American crafts, so that instead of being plausibly (or almost certainly) caused by a third party, it would look like the USSR was behind it and the hothead Yanks would do the rest?

A USSR Sub attacking New York, and a US Sub attacking Moscow seems like it would logically start a conflict between the two to me.

If only one party attacked the other, maybe the other side would attempt a diplomatic reaction (unlikely, but unlikely Stromberg would want to take the chance).
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

A USSR Sub attacking New York, and a US Sub attacking Moscow seems like it would logically start a conflict between the two to me.

If only one party attacked the other, maybe the other side would attempt a diplomatic reaction (unlikely, but unlikely Stromberg would want to take the chance).

I'm definitely thinking more about YOLT, but just taking one Soviet sub and attacking NY seems like it would do the trick....

I'm definitely thinking more about YOLT, but just taking one Soviet sub and attacking NY seems like it would do the trick....

I do think your argument only holds water with regards to YOLT, where you have a good point. I don't believe "It doesn't make any sense" applies to this aspect of TSWLM's plot.

Anyway, I don't really think this is the thread, which is more for "question" and "answer", rather than "here's my side of a debate, what do you think".
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    In this teaser for TMWTGG there are a few shots that aren't in the film, any ideas if they've been recovered somewhere or are they lost forever?

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @GoldenGun Cheers. I've only ever seen poor quality footage of the thermos Bond throws.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    What caused No Time to Die's second delay (Valentine's Day to April)?
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,526
    What caused No Time to Die's second delay (Valentine's Day to April)?

I think they just weren’t going to finish in time, but maybe they wanted a better release slot than Valentine’s Day. I believe it was the second delay (third release date).
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I asked myself the same. Can't remember. Because Craig was hurt?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I believe the delay was caused by the distributor pushing back a Fast and Furious movie from April. Box office was likely to be better in April then in February. Jan and Feb are sometimes seen to be a place where movies are buried or are not as strong to be part of the Christmas movie season and not as strong as the early spring and summer season.

Can somebody please explain to me why "Come in, 007. Your Time is Up" is the title of the boat chase track from TWINE? It makes no sense to me in the context of the film. I have never understood it.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    It’s a reference to a well-known phrase in British culture from several decades ago, from the traditional hiring of rowing boats/pedal boats on a boating lake (particularly in popular holiday resorts such as Butlins) where you would have a set time to use the boat before someone would shout ‘come in number 12, your time is up’ (each boat having a number to identify them).

It came to be used in many social situations to suggest your time is up, you’ve been caught, you need to stop doing what you’re doing etc. In TWINE I’m assuming a little joke referring to Bond taking the boat out for a ride, and Cigar Girl trying to bring his jaunt to a swift end.

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    It’s a reference to a well-known phrase in British culture from several decades ago, from the traditional hiring of rowing boats/pedal boats on a boating lake (particularly in popular holiday resorts such as Butlins) where you would have a set time to use the boat before someone would shout ‘come in number 12, your time is up’ (each boat having a number to identify them).

It came to be used in many social situations to suggest your time is up, you’ve been caught, you need to stop doing what you’re doing etc. In TWINE I’m assuming a little joke referring to Bond taking the boat out for a ride, and Cigar Girl trying to bring his jaunt to a swift end.

Very interesting. Thanks for that. It reminds me of this: https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18724/dubbing-007-the-james-bond-films-in-different-languages/p1
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 850
    Well, big subject (who probably deserve his own thread). Well since I had time before the realease of NTTD and the "end" of the pandemia, I was lauching myself in a big project : translate in french every Bond song.

Even If I succeeded to do it at 95%, there is some 5% of words or phrase that I can't understand or don't know how to translate, so I need the help of native english-speaker. I need some synonymous, reformulations, to understand them.

First, little aside, do you know what is nutcracker when you try to track Bond's songs lyrics ? : It's that it’s impossible to find online OFFICIALS lyrics, so it's create problems since for one website to another you don't find the sames lyrics in certain case (for exemple for The Living Daylight, some sites write « Hundred thousand people, I'm the one they blame » while others writes « [...] I'm the one they frame »). Officials lyrics is something that woud be deserves to be done by EON one day...

Anyway, I start with From Russia With Love by Matt Monro. The foreigners like me could have these problem too :

Still my tongue tied, young pride
    Would not let my love for you show
    I case you say no

Who would not let his love to show ? : him (the guy/singer) or his "young pride" (which is the pride of young peoples I guess ?) ?

I suddenly knew you'd care again

"I suddenly knew that you would be interested again" is the meaning of this phrase, a synonymous ? (If not, what does it mean?)

My running around is through

"My running around has come to an end" is the meaning of this phrase, a synonymous ? (If not, what does it mean?)

Thanks.

The top one is saying that his pride is getting in the way of him showing his love for the girl.

For the second and third, you've got the proper meaning.
    Thanks it help me a lot, I will limit my questions to one movie per day (I have some question like that for other Bond song of other movies).

Thanks again.
    Translating the lyrics to Bond song can be very difficult because many of them are just bad. FRWL's lyrics are not particularly good.
    Still my tongue tied, young pride
    I case you say no

Who would not let his love to show ? : him (the guy/singer) or his "young pride" (which is the pride of young peoples I guess ?) ?

The transcription is incorrect--it should read:

Still my tongue-tied young pride
    In case you'd say no

The singer's youthful pride forbids him from telling his girlfriend he loves her, in case she'd reject him.

"I suddenly knew that you would be interested again" is the meaning of this phrase, a synonymous ? (If not, what does it mean?)

To Russia I flew, but there and then

The singer flies to Russia. As he does, he realizes his girlfriend loves him again.
    My running around is through

"My running has come to an end" is the meaning of this phrase, a synonymous ? (If not, what does it mean?)

"Running around" can mean frantically traveling. It can also mean cheating on your loved one. The singer is promising he will stop traveling around and he will be faithful.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 850
    Translating could be hard sometimes cause somes lyrics seems to not make any sens (I'm not sure the AVTAK ones makes any sens except in Simon Le Bon head, or either I hadn't understand them at all). But well, I have 95% done and the 5% left is part I have put aside cause I didn't understand them or not sure to has understand them right. I will start to publish on per week for french fans on Commander James Bond France.

Thanks to all your explainations Revelator, well the transcription was incorrect (one of the consequences of the lack of officials lyrics like I said).

For my questionning of today I was wondering if there isn't an idiom hidden in "A spider's touch" from Goldfinger ? I see it litteraly, like the [coldest] touch of this animal, by maybe I'm wrong ?

Talking of transcription, some sites write "Pretty girl, beware of his heart of gold" while others writes "[...] beware of this heart of gold". When I listen I think it is "this" and you ?

And for Thunderball, well like you can can immagine for start :

"he strikes like thunderball"

Thunderball is not and easy word to understand : I believe that in military slang it's designates the mushroom cloud that forms during an atomic explosion. But well it isn't seems that is the right sens for me, I rather see a litteraly meaning : a ball of thunder. Did I have right ? Or is this something else like "he strikes like Operation Thunderball" (since in the movie, "Thunderball" is the codename of an operation)?; (Litlle bit of free trivia : in France the title had been translated Operation Thunder).

+ his needs are more so he gives less

"I needs are growing so he gives less" is the meaning of this phrase, a synonymous ? (If not, what does it mean?)
    Sorry, can't help you @moneyofpropre2 but I apprecite your effort and hope you can finish your project.
    I watched LTK once again:
    How did Clive find out that Sharkey is an “enemy“? Where did he find him? Was it smart and necessary to kill him? And present the dead body like a “hunting trophy“(!).
    Thank. Well I don't think anybody could know the answer of your questions, I don't remember that there is precision about it in the novelization.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 2,896
    For my questionning of today I was wondering if there isn't an idiom hidden in "A spider's touch" from Goldfinger? I see it literally, like the [coldest] touch of this animal, by maybe I'm wrong?

"A spider's touch" is not an idiomatic phrase, but it's understood to mean that a spider's touch is both delicate and deadly. The phrase also contrasts with "Midas touch" beforehand. Everything Golfdinger touches turns to gold...and death.
    Talking of transcription, some sites write "Pretty girl, beware of his heart of gold" while others writes "[...] beware of this heart of gold". When I listen I think it is "this" and you ?

I prefer "his," since the word more directly refers to Goldfinger's evil heart. But as you said, there is disagreement on the topic.

"he strikes like thunderball"

Thunderball is not and easy word to understand : I believe that in military slang it's designates the mushroom cloud that forms during an atomic explosion. But well it isn't seems that is the right sense for me, I rather see a litteraly meaning : a ball of thunder. Did I have right ? Or is this something else like "he strikes like Operation Thunderball" (since in the movie, "Thunderball" is the codename of an operation)?

This is a case where even the lyricist probably didn't know what he meant, since "Thunderball" was written in a hurry. Fleming understood the word in its original sense (military slang for the atomic explosion), but what did Don Black understand it as? You're probably correct in believing Black understood it in the literal sense.
    + his needs are more so he gives less

"I needs are growing so he gives less" is the meaning of this phrase, a synonymous ? (If not, what does it mean?)

Bond has many needs because he is busy saving the world. Therefore he gives less, because what he could give he just might need in his mission.
    How did Clive find out that Sharkey is an “enemy“? Where did he find him? Was it smart and necessary to kill him? And present the dead body like a “hunting trophy“(!).

My assumption is that Clive found Sharkey's boat suspiciously close to the Wavekrest. He boarded, searched it, and probably found a gun or some other compromising object. He then tried questioning Sharkey, who resisted. Was it smart to kill Sharkey? No, but perhaps Sharkey refused to talk. Judging from the way Sharkey's body was presented as a hunting trophy, Clive was the sort of sadistic, macho bozo that Krest would approve of and use as muscle. When Bond puts a spear through Clive it's poetic justice.

Thanks for your comment @Revelator
    Thanks again for your answers, I prefer "his heart of gold" too, but I just had the idea to listen again the Anthony Newley demo, and well here too I heard rather a "this".
    Yeah probably Don Black didn't understand "thunderball", like Barry and us.

So today, it's time for for 1967. I no problem with YOLT, but some with CR. First I have 2 questions about Have no fear bond is here :

They've got us on the run

So what is the meaning : "they've make us run away" (for avoid to be catch or shoot) OR "they've got us while we were running" ?

There goes a spy

What is the meaning : "here, a spy", "farewell, a spy", or something else ?

For The look of love, I have translated it in french in « The expression of love » since "look" a many equivalents in french (I think that is the best one), but I was wondering if in that particular line : "You've got the look of love " if I shouldn't write "You've got the appearance of love" rather than "The expression of love".

They've got us on the run

So what is the meaning : "they've make us run away" (for avoid to be catch or shoot) OR "they've got us while we were running" ?

Your first guess is correct. The villains have put them on the run.
    There goes a spy
    What is the meaning : "here, a spy", "farewell, a spy", or something else ?

"There is a spy" would be close. "There goes" is often used to point out someone who is nearby or walking by.
    I was wondering if in that particular line : "You've got the look of love " if I shouldn't write "You've got the appearance of love" rather than "The expression of love".

I would lean toward "expression," since love is evident in her eyes. Google translates "look of love" as "regard de l'amour." Would that work? It also translates "You've got the look of love" as "tu as l'air d'amour."
    Thanks again for all these explaination. "Regard" in french is the equivalent of "gaze", it is why I prefer "expression" cause it's cover most of the double-sens. But "tu as l'air d'amour" is not bad.
    Little bit of triva, in the french dubbed version of the movie, the song has been dubbed in french too and is singed by Mireille Mathieu, but the lyrics are far from be faithfull...

A little bit on OHMSS :

Time enough for life to unfold all the precious things

How I should see that : "Time enough for live and to unfold" or "time enough so that life can/could unfold" ?

No problem with DAF or LALD, juste need a confirmation for TMWTGG :

No one can catch him, no hitman can match him
    For his million dollar skill

For his million dollar skill = Because his million dollar skill ? (it's seems strange to me)

Next is Nobody does it better :

I tried to hide from your love light

Well "love light", what it is (except a brand of condoms apparently) and what would be a good synonym ? A love beam ? The fire of your love (it like it I temporarily translated it).

And I have no problem with Moonraker.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In LTK when Bond attempts to kill Sanchez using the signature gun, the two Hong Kong narcotics agents are clearly men. Judging by the vocal sounds they make as they fight Bond.
    Yet moments later when they remove their headgear, it's shown that one of the attackers was Loti.
    Doesn't make much sense. I guess this isn't a question, more of an observation.
    Time enough for life to unfold all the precious things

How I should see that : "Time enough for live and to unfold" or "time enough so that life can/could unfold" ?

Your second guess is correct. Life will reveal all of its precious things to them because they have enough time.

No one can catch him, no hitman can match him
    For his million dollar skill

For his million dollar skill = Because his million dollar skill ? (it's seems strange to me)

Correct. "For" is occasionally used in place of "because," though this usage is becoming rare.
    I tried to hide from your love light
    Well "love light", what it is (except a brand of condoms apparently) and what would be a good synonym ? A love beam ? The fire of your love (it like it I temporarily translated it).

There are two possible answers.
    1. One dictionary defines "love-light" as "the radiance of affection" and gives the following usage from an old novel: "and yet her eyes had that brooding love-light."

2. The otherwise uncommon phrase "Love light" also used in the popular 1961 rhythm & blues song "Turn On Your Love Light," by Bobby "Blue" Bland. In the song, love is compared to light from a lamp. When the woman turns on her love light and lets it shine on the singer, he knows she is in love with him:

The song was a hit and was covered by many stars: Van Morrison, the Grateful Dead, The Righteous Brothers, Tom Jones, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Walker Brothers, Bob Seger, Johnny Rivers, etc. Carole Bayer Sager had undoubtedly heard the song by the time she wrote the lyrics for "Nobody Does it Better."
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,970
    Benny wrote: »
    In LTK when Bond attempts to kill Sanchez using the signature gun, the two Hong Kong narcotics agents are clearly men. Judging by the vocal sounds they make as they fight Bond.
    Yet moments later when they remove their headgear, it's shown that one of the attackers was Loti.
    Benny wrote: »

Interesting observation! I believe it was a dramatic reveal too. Haven't watched the movie in quite a while. She is also killed when they attack the place where Bond is taken to get interrogated.