The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I've always had trouble figuring it out. I think it requires a suspension of a disbelief.

If I had a to work it out. I'd say that Ling and the gunmen were in on it. That the police were in on it. That the big production was needed to get the media to put it on the front page of the newspaper. Fake News is hard to come by! LOL!
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Yes, I think we will probably have to put all logic aside, embrace suspending disbelief and imagine the shock of watching it for the very first time wondering how on earth Bond is going to escape from ... being dead!

As an interesting aside for Doctor Who fans - one of the policemen who discover Bond is Anthony Ainley - later to become The Master at the end of Tom Baker’s reign!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    What exactly happens with Baron Samedi in the voodoo scene when he emerges from the ground? Bond only hits a head out of glass or clay or something?
    And is he alive in the end on the train or do you see it more as an “extra scene“ that doesn't belong to the story?
    I never watched it in the way that this belongs to the rest of the film. In my voodoo free world he died in the coffin full of snakes.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,806
    The first Baron Samedi was a clay/wax figure. The second was real. And why he does appear at the end... Well, he's Baron Samedi. Death is his domain. Or he has a twin. Or the snakes were not really venomous, and he faked it. Or he was immune. Your pick.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 2,426
    Was the clay Baron “alive” with voodoo though? The eyes were certainly moving - voodoo or animatronics! 🤔
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I think it is futile to think about logic in the case of LALD. The entire divination/Tarot card soothsaying bit is just as intentionally vague as the voodoo elements. Why would Solitaire have cards with a "007" design on the back face when she is only about to foretell that "a man is coming", but not who he is? And why should she know even that much?

The same goes for the Baron Samedi story. It doesn't make sense, unless one accepts that it's all a drug-induced dream or something. At any rate, the movie means to leave the viewer irritated and to embrace the supernatural stuff, or reject the film altogether.

I really love LALD below the line, but having Sheriff J.W. Pepper as possibly the most realistic character is something to think about.
    Was the clay Baron “alive” with voodoo though? The eyes were certainly moving - voodoo or animatronics! 🤔

Exactly that bit is irritating.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Okay, Fatima and Maximillian... was there something between 'em?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Okay, Fatima and Maximillian... was there something between 'em?

Good question. They had a very similar relationship to Xenia and Alec, so you could ask the same question about them.

But personally i would say no. I think both Max and Alec were too smart and ambitious to get burned by such psychos. Both of these gals are oversexed and nuts so it might seem that there's something going on, but i think it's purely... Business.

Actually i think there is more going on between Franz and Dario :))
    What exactly happens with Baron Samedi in the voodoo scene when he emerges from the ground? Bond only hits a head out of glass or clay or something?
    And is he alive in the end on the train or do you see it more as an “extra scene“ that doesn't belong to the story?
    I never watched it in the way that this belongs to the rest of the film. In my voodoo free world he died in the coffin full of snakes.

You've hit on an interesting side story. To answer your question, yes the first one that popped up with an animatronic so the eyes moved but nothing else. The second one was the real Samedi and he does meet his maker in the snake coffin. However Tom Mankiewicz discovered when writing the script for LALD that Baron Samedi is a powerful figure within voodoo community. So it was decided that he appear on the train at the end of the film. I believe it was thought he would return in a future adventure. Plus it was great to get Geoffrey Holder's laugh one last time in the film.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,394
    Thanks for your answer @thedove
    Now it's my turn to ask a question! LOL!

I have searched for the clip but can't find it. I have never understood the small sequence in OHMSS. It occurs when Bond (as Sir Hilary) is heading up to Piz Gloria. Bunt and Bond have made it to the helicopter. Bunt says something to Bond and it has something to do with his smoking or his pipe. Bond replies "knock out you mean. I hope." This is said while Bond is knocking the pipe against the helicopter.

I have never been able to catch what Bunt says to Bond.

Can someone share what Bunt says to Bond and why he makes the quip?
    edited November 2019 Posts: 2,426
    thedove wrote: »
    Bunt says something to Bond and it has something to do with his smoking or his pipe. Bond replies "knock out you mean. I hope." This is said while Bond is knocking the pipe against the helicopter.

She says ‘first you must your pipe knock off’ - meaning knock the lit tobacco out of the pipe to extinguish it (the correct term would be something like ‘knock your pipe out’)

However in Britain, ‘knock off’ is a colloquial (slang) term meaning to ‘get off with’ or have sex with someone (‘Did you knock her off?’, ‘Who did you knock off last night’ etc)

So in essence, Bond is hoping she isn’t suggesting he have sex with his pipe... or variation on the theme!
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,953
    Oh excellent! Thanks for the information @Max_The_Parrot it has always bothered me. :)
    thedove wrote: »
    Bunt says something to Bond and it has something to do with his smoking or his pipe. Bond replies "knock out you mean. I hope." This is said while Bond is knocking the pipe against the helicopter.

She says ‘first you must your pipe knock off’ - meaning knock the lit tobacco out of the pipe to extinguish it (the correct term would be something like ‘knock your pipe out’)

However in Britain, ‘knock off’ is a colloquial (slang) term meaning to ‘get off with’ or have sex with someone (‘Did you knock her off?’, ‘Who did you knock off last night’ etc)

So in essence, Bond is hoping she isn’t suggesting he have sex with his pipe... or variation on the theme!

Thank you for explaining that. I don't even remember how the subtitles in my copy of the film translate that.
    Yes, it’s a crude phrase that was used a lot in England back in the day but you don’t hear anymore (thankfully)!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Hi chaps, does anyone know what make and model Grant's garrote watch is? Thanks.
    I'm afraid not old man. Sorry couldn't resist! LOL!
    Is On Her Majesty's Secret Service a Christmas movie?
    edited December 2019 Posts: 6,721
    As you might know, Shirley Bassey recorded an Italian-language version of Diamonds Are Forever (Una cascata di diamanti).

According to discogs.com, this version was released in 1971, the same year as the film. Does anybody know if the Italian version of the song was included in the film for its Italian release? It would make sense to think so, since it would boost sales of that Italian-language single.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Is this a tribute to Thunderball novel?

latest?cb=20121104171633

Then whey didn't they use this photo?

umsvdywg6mca.png
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2019 Posts: 17,797
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Is this a tribute to Thunderball novel?

latest?cb=20121104171633

Then whey didn't they use this photo?

umsvdywg6mca.png

I think I'm right in saying that that was a Player's cigarette advert that they used in DAD as opposed to an actual picture of the cigarette packet as is shown in your second picture.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I can't find the DAD one and Domino describes the bearded sailor without a doubt. I asked myself why they did not use the second one?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    ggl007 wrote: »
    I can't find the DAD one and Domino describes the bearded sailor without a doubt. I asked myself why they did not use the second one?

Hmm, I'm really not sure but no doubt someone else will know more about all of this.
    In Moonraker, why must California be "the place to start"?
    I should have said why must Drax Industries be the place to start. Wouldn't it be more logical to start the investigation wherever the 707 carrying the shuttle took off for the UK? You know, ask around, find out if anyone saw anything suspicious... or are we meant to assume the plane took off from Drax Industries?

If it didn't, I understand Bond's visit to Drax could be considered to have a diplomatic purpose, even if he says no apology will be issued just yet, but observing how the shuttle is built, getting a tour of the construction facilities... it seems to have little relation with finding out how the shuttle was hijacked in mid-flight. Bond doesn't need a degree in engineering to investigate the theft.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Why does Melina say, "Go backwards forwards quickly!"?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    What is the meaning of "butter-hook"? I know it was ad-libbed by Roger, I know that Tee-Hee has a hook instead of a hand and sort of fumbles around with it in that scene, and I can obviously translate the word (or at least the two parts of it). But why is it supposed to be funny? I don't find the term. Even Google only seems to know it in connection with LALD. Is there any other meaning to it, e.g. some gadget or tableware item that looks like a hook and is used for scraping butter?
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    What is the meaning of "butter-hook"? I know it was ad-libbed by Roger, I know that Tee-Hee has a hook instead of a hand and sort of fumbles around with it in that scene, and I can obviously translate the word (or at least the two parts of it). But why is it supposed to be funny? I don't find the term. Even Google only seems to know it in connection with LALD. Is there any other meaning to it, e.g. some gadget or tableware item that looks like a hook and is used for scraping butter?

Someone who drops a ball (or anything else, I suppose) clumsily can be called Butterfingers.

It's not a particularly funny joke, that one.