The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    TR007 wrote: »
    Quick question but does “James Bond will return” feature in the Dr. No end credits? I can’t recall but I have a feeling that motif was only introduced in From Russia with Love.

Just checked. Couldn't see it. Makes sense given they didn't know whether it would be successful and therefore continue making them
    Yep....it was made with the possibility/probability that it would be a one-off,depending how the film was received and Connery accepted as Bond.
    Perfect. Thanks so much @w2bond and @barryt007
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Has anyone asked Maud Adams where she is in AVTAK? All I hear is speculation, surely someone has asked her?
    w2bond wrote: »
    Has anyone asked Maud Adams where she is in AVTAK? All I hear is speculation, surely someone has asked her?

There is a lot of info about this in the thread I created :
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/17610/lets-play-spot-the-adams#latest

Worth a look.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    w2bond wrote: »

She's on record as saying in interviews I've seen that she doesn't know where she is in AVTAK herself. In fact she herself was asking for help from others in spotting her supposed cameo there. So no help there, I'm afraid! :)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Wasn't it supposed to be on the pier in San Francisco? Not that I could confirm.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Wasn't it supposed to be on the pier in San Francisco? Not that I could confirm.

It's meant to be during the scene where Bond meets his CIA contact Chuck Lee in San Francisco, yes. Somewhere in the crowd scene specifically.
    Better use the ‘find the Adams ‘ thread chaps
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Better use the ‘Spot the Adams ‘ thread chaps

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Was John Barry and Shirley Bassey a couple at some point? Or were those just rumours and speculations?
    Was John Barry and Shirley Bassey a couple at some point? Or were those just rumours and speculations?

Not ever heard that before so I don't know but it might go some way to explain why Shirley Bassey did a record three Bond themes! :)
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Random thought...Fredrick Grey is the Minister of Defense in the following movies:

TSWLM 1977
    MR 1979
    FYEO 1981
    OP 1983
    AVTAK 1985
    TLD 1987

How many elections would he had to have won in order to be the Minister of Defense for those 10 years? Is Britain on a fixed election cycle? Does his appearance in the movies coincide with Thatcher's reign as PM?
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 553
    thedove wrote: »
    Random thought...Fredrick Grey is the Minister of Defense in the following movies:

TSWLM 1977
    MR 1979
    FYEO 1981
    OP 1983
    AVTAK 1985
    TLD 1987

How many elections would he had to have won in order to be the Minister of Defense for those 10 years? Is Britain on a fixed election cycle? Does his appearance in the movies coincide with Thatcher's reign as PM?

There was a Labour Government 1974-79, when Thatcher was elected as a Conservative Prime Minister. She was in office until 1990. This means Grey was not only never reshuffled / moved to a different department, but that he served in Governments of different parties. I'll forgive him on the basis he's fictional :-)
    P.S. there was no fixed election cycle in that period. Parliament could be for up to five years. The Government often called an election after four if it thought out would win. Thatcher won in 79, 83 and 87, for example; but then there wasn't an election until 92.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He could be non-partisan, a technocrat. There have been Republican defense ministers serving under Democratic presidents in the US, so it isn t without parallell in the real world.
    Thanks @Thepastykid I had a good laugh at your answer. I will forgive him too as I enjoy the character so much. Love the line "She'll have my guts for garters." Or the more often quoted "We are the laughingstock of the intelligence community."
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I'm doing an art project for famous movie and TV car license plates. I'm having trouble finding a clear picture of Zao's. Anybody been to Bond in motion or somewhere else that has taken a picture of the car with the plate it wears in DAD? All I can find is its legal, true British registration.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm doing an art project for famous movie and TV car license plates. I'm having trouble finding a clear picture of Zao's. Anybody been to Bond in motion or somewhere else that has taken a picture of the car with the plate it wears in DAD? All I can find is its legal, true British registration.
    Same plate here, but the middle detail is a different colour in the film.

https://img.favcars.com/jaguar/xk/jaguar_xk_2002_pictures_1.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 12,914
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Is Claudio Santamaria a well known actor in Italy? MGW says in the commentary he's a heartthrob back in Italy.

Surely not. He's a seriously creepy looking dude.

I don't like him at all, but everyone seems to love him around here, especially after he was in They Call Me Jeeg. He also dubbed Bale in the Dark Knight trilogy and was notoriously bad.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Walecs wrote: »
    He also dubbed Bale in the Dark Knight trilogy and was notoriously bad.

Dubbing is, by definition, hilariously bad.

Anyways, I recall something about him being popular with the ladies.
    From early drafts of SP, what info did we have about Blofeld and Spectre's backgrounds? I understand he was in the French Foreign Legion and did a bit of cannibalism. And that White was an early member.
    Did Connery do NSNA more for money? Or more to stick it to Cubby?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    He also dubbed Bale in the Dark Knight trilogy and was notoriously bad.

Dubbing is, by definition, hilariously bad.

Anyways, I recall something about him being popular with the ladies.

Disagree. Most of Italian dubbings are great, a few even manage to be better than the original (such as The Terminator 1 & 2 or On Her Majesty's Secret Service, since it unfortunately features Lazenby's bad acting and him being dubbed half-way through the movie) and even those which can't compare to the original are still pretty good. Santamaria was pretty much the only bad voice actor throughout the whole Dark Knight Trilogy.

How can dubbing be bad by definition? If anything you may say it's not faithful to the original, but that's another matter and completely unrelated to being good or bad.
    Looking to expand my B25 collection. Have there been any magazines released this year featuring Craig (as Bond) on the cover? I'm only aware of the latest MI6 Confidential thus far, which is on it's way!
    QBranch wrote: »
    Looking to expand my B25 collection. Have there been any magazines released this year featuring Craig (as Bond) on the cover? I'm only aware of the latest MI6 Confidential thus far, which is on it's way!

I'm not aware of any. I would imagine this fall and winter we will see a slew of them.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Did Connery do NSNA more for money? Or more to stick it to Cubby?

Both .
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    thedove wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »

I'm not aware of any. I would imagine this fall and winter we will see a slew of them.

Empire Magazine usually have the initial scoop. I would expect it in October.
    @thedove & @Mallory Thank you, guys. I'll keep an eye out.
    A random thought. How do we suppose Kananga became Mr. Big. As a Prime Minister of a country when would he have time to disguise himself as Big and create a criminal empire. Or did he kill the real Mr. Big and assume his persona? Seems like a lot of effort to do this just so he could be the distributor of heroin in the US. Or was he pretending to be a crime boss for another reason.

But to have the CIA following him and observing him as closely as they are, he was obviously a big player in the crime scene of America. Which now begs the question wouldn't it be FBI who is investigating Mr. Big?