"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Since there isn't much to talk about...

What strikes me with Arteta, is that he speaks so well. It's very important as a manager, being able to communicate with the players, and getting the right message across to the fans. I only hope this will show on the pitch as well, when football returns.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

What strikes me with Arteta, is that he speaks so well. It's very important as a manager, being able to communicate with the players, and getting the right message across to the fans. I only hope this will show on the pitch as well, when football returns.

He is articulate and seems like a decent guy, being ex Arsenal will help also, working with Pep also as a apprenticeship does not get much better.

He is articulate and seems like a decent guy, being ex Arsenal will help also, working with Pep also as a apprenticeship does not get much better.

I think being ex-Arsenal is key to how he'll do as manager. He has the goodwill of the fans because of it, which will buy him some time. What happens in that time is the big question; uncertainty over contracts needs to be sorted, and the squad is in need of strengthening.

So far, I think most fans are happy with how he's done.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I think being ex-Arsenal is key to how he'll do as manager. He has the goodwill of the fans because of it, which will buy him some time. What happens in that time is the big question; uncertainty over contracts needs to be sorted, and the squad is in need of strengthening.

Yeah some Arsenal fans can turn on there manager quick if AFTV is anything to go by, though AFTV is not liked by alot of Arsenal fans lol. Being an ex player can buy you time, just look at Ole lol

Yeah some Arsenal fans can turn on there manager quick if AFTV is anything to go by, though AFTV is not liked by alot of Arsenal fans lol. Being an ex player can buy you time, just look at Ole lol

AFTV is luckily not representative of the entire fan base (which we've seen recently). Should Arteta struggle for results, they will no doubt be out complaining in no time!

I would never have put money on Ole still being United manager in April 2020, yet here we are. I wonder how United will approach next season though.

AFTV is luckily not representative of the entire fan base (which we've seen recently). Should Arteta struggle for results, they will no doubt be out complaining in no time!

I would never have put money on Ole still being United manager in April 2020, yet here we are. I wonder how United will approach next season though.

After Christmas I thought Ole would last until the summer, then Fernandes came in and started to transform the team and then the crisis. I honestly expect to see Ole at United next season now with or without Champions League.

After Christmas I thought Ole would last until the summer, then Fernandes came in and started to transform the team and then the crisis. I honestly expect to see Ole at United next season now with or without Champions League.

I imagine the whole corona situation might have a slight impact too; with the uncertainty when everything starts up again, the financial situation the clubs might find themselves in etc, I wouldn't be surprised to see clubs trying to keep players, managers, coaches etc.

I imagine the whole corona situation might have a slight impact too; with the uncertainty when everything starts up again, the financial situation the clubs might find themselves in etc, I wouldn't be surprised to see clubs trying to keep players, managers, coaches etc.

Even big clubs will be reluctant to spend money on new managers, on the United fan sites and a few stories floating around in the press we are being linked with Sancho and Kane amongst others, I cant take any of the stories seriously even more so because of the crisis. I really cannot see much money being spent in the transfer window unless clubs are forced to sell main assets to help the club survive in the lower tiers.

Even big clubs will be reluctant to spend money on new managers, on the United fan sites and a few stories floating around in the press we are being linked with Sancho and Kane amongst others, I cant take any of the stories seriously even more so because of the crisis. I really cannot see much money being spent in the transfer window unless clubs are forced to sell main assets to help the club survive in the lower tiers.

I imagine the transfer window will be a slow one this time, without the big transfer stories. As for Kane and Sancho, how are the contract situation for those two? If they are on outgoing contracts, they might still move in the transfer window.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 23,395

I imagine the transfer window will be a slow one this time, without the big transfer stories. As for Kane and Sancho, how are the contract situation for those two? If they are on outgoing contracts, they might still move in the transfer window.

Kane wants out of Spurs according to reports, and Sancho has reportedly stated he wants a move/bigger challenge not sure of eithers contract status.

---
    English football is aiming to resume at the beginning of June, with sources telling ESPN that clubs in the EFL are working towards June 6 as a date for the return of competitive action, though matches would be behind closed doors.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/soccer/english-league-championship/story/4084947/english-football-targets-june-6-return-to-action-behind-closed-doors?platform=amp

Kane wants out of Spurs according to reports, and Sancho has reportedly stated he wants a move/bigger challenge not sure of eithers contract status.

I expect Sancho will be a very expensive signing, regardless of his contract situation. Kane too, I guess, but I wonder which clubs will be most interested bringing in him; United, Real Madrid, an Italian club?
    ---
    English football is aiming to resume at the beginning of June, with sources telling ESPN that clubs in the EFL are working towards June 6 as a date for the return of competitive action, though matches would be behind closed doors.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/soccer/english-league-championship/story/4084947/english-football-targets-june-6-return-to-action-behind-closed-doors?platform=amp

I wonder if starting playing games that soon is possible.
    @Torgeirtrap apparently Spurs offered Kane to United for £200 million, sounds like Levy. No one is going to pay that amount for Kane.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,297
    @Torgeirtrap apparently Spurs offered Kane to United for £200 million, sounds like Levy. No one is going to pay that amount for Kane.

Wow, that's an insane amount! No club is going to pay that, that's for sure.

Daniel Levy never makes transfers out easy. He will be lucky to get £100 for Kane, he is not getting younger and his injury record will put some teams off.

Daniel Levy never makes transfers out easy. He will be lucky to get £100 for Kane, he is not getting younger and his injury record will put some teams off.

Indeed, I think Sp*rs should be very happy getting £100m for Kane at this point. I think their best chance of making huge sums for selling him, would have been if they sold him before/right after the 2018 World Cup.
    Rosenborg players, coaching staff, and administrative staff agrees a 20 percent pay cut throughout May. How is the situation for teams in other leagues?

Edit: looks like Arsenal players will do the same:

Indeed, I think Sp*rs should be very happy getting £100m for Kane at this point. I think their best chance of making huge sums for selling him, would have been if they sold him before/right after the 2018 World Cup.

I rather United keep spending money on young players that will give several years of service to the club, as good as Kane is the money can be better spent elsewhere. Ole has to trust in Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. Greenwood without a doubt will be world class.

I rather United keep spending money on young players that will give several years of service to the club, as good as Kane is the money can be better spent elsewhere. Ole has to trust in Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. Greenwood without a doubt will be world class.

Agree. We've seen that giving younger players coming up through the academies playing time can work for the big clubs as well; Chelsea is a good example this season, United, Arsenal (although lack of funds is no doubt a contributing factor), etc.

From an Arsenal point of view, fans are very impressed with Martinelli and Saka. Hopefully we'll see Reiss Nelson, Willock and Nketiah get more playing time as well. There is talent at the club, but they're often competing with older, more experienced players.

Agree. We've seen that giving younger players coming up through the academies playing time can work for the big clubs as well; Chelsea is a good example this season, United, Arsenal (although lack of funds is no doubt a contributing factor), etc.

From an Arsenal point of view, fans are very impressed with Martinelli and Saka. Hopefully we'll see Reiss Nelson, Willock and Nketiah get more playing time as well. There is talent at the club, but they're often competing with older, more experienced players.

I think the Sanchez situation for United was a wake up call, buying so called top class players who are past there peak in the modern game if anything slows down your team. Some players are often converted by teams way too long based on reputation. United going back to youth ethic is one of the best things they have done in recent years.

I think the Sanchez situation for United was a wake up call, buying so called top class players who are past there peak in the modern game if anything slows down your team. Some players are often converted by teams way too long based on reputation. United going back to youth ethic is one of the best things they have done in recent years.

Indeed, the Sánchez situation was a bit strange. Although Arsenal have missed his quality on the ball since he left, they did sell him at the right time. I always expected him to go to Spain or Italy – or possibly City. In the end United were there to pay his enormous wages, which even City found to much, if I remember correctly.

I think the main thing threatening the development of a younger squad in a big club, is the involvement of agents. They can easily use their connections within a club to push their (older) players onto that club if they know they need to fill a position in the squad.

Indeed, the Sánchez situation was a bit strange. Although Arsenal have missed his quality on the ball since he left, they did sell him at the right time. I always expected him to go to Spain or Italy – or possibly City. In the end United were there to pay his enormous wages, which even City found to much, if I remember correctly.

I think the main thing threatening the development of a younger squad in a big club, is the involvement of agents. They can easily use their connections within a club to push their (older) players onto that club if they know they need to fill a position in the squad.

Sanchez was a mistake, we got him when we still had a chance of competing for the title. Though Martial was on form and our best player, Sanchez pushed Martial to the bench (Thanks Jose) and our season crumbled. Though I admit I was happy we got Sanchez at the time, though hindsight it was a bad move. I was surprised how lacklustre he was, he was a loner and did not appear to gel well with anyone. As someone who carried Arsenal I expected more.
    Hopefully the corona situation can be a wake up call for top clubs to hault the absurd spending spree. The insane inflation of wages and transfer fees we have seen during the last decade in particular has been sickening to witness and it is simply not sustainable in the long run.

Sanchez was a mistake, we got him when we still had a chance of competing for the title. Though Martial was on form and our best player, Sanchez pushed Martial to the bench (Thanks Jose) and our season crumbled. Though I admit I was happy we got Sanchez at the time, though hindsight it was a bad move. I was surprised how lacklustre he was, he was a loner and did not appear to gel well with anyone. As someone who carried Arsenal I expected more.

He wasn't getting along with everyone at Arsenal either apparently. The difference is, that at Arsenal he was very much the main man, which I think he benefited from. At United he didn't have the same standing, and I think that affected him while he was there. I imagine he'll be sold in the upcoming transfer window?
    jobo wrote: »
    Hopefully the corona situation can be a wake up call for top clubs to hault the absurd spending spree. The insane inflation of wages and transfer fees we have seen during the last decade in particular has been sickening to witness and it is simply not sustainable in the long run.

I certainly hope so too. How the corona situation affects the club's revenue might stop the spending spree somewhat, at least for the upcoming transfer window. Then again, football never stops surprising us, so…

It will be interesting to see where some of those on this list ends up. Fraser has been rumoured to Arsenal for quite some time, but I don't know if it's likely to happen.
    _______

This is the type of content Twitter is for! Thread:

It will be interesting to see where some of those on this list ends up. Fraser has been rumoured to Arsenal for quite some time, but I don't know if it's likely to happen.
    _______

Thats amusing, I have never joined Twitter or Instagram, and not been on FB for probably six years lol

_______

Thats amusing, I have never joined Twitter or Instagram, and not been on FB for probably six years lol

I'm not particularly active on any of those sites myself either. I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends mostly, Instagram much the same, and Twitter for news, fun tweets (like the one above) and anything else. I very rarely tweet myself though.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."