"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited March 2020 Posts: 17,293

That's good. Looks like Callum Hudson-Odoi is doing alright too.

Its morale boosting to see high profile people who were infected doing well.

Indeed, and they're also in a position where they can reach out to many people (like the media in general), underlining the importance to take precautions. Jürgen Klopp also issued a message on Liverpool's website with a similar message.
    Slow day for football team's Twitter account admins as well these days!

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

They should put tape over the labels to hide the branding :))

They should put tape over the labels to hide the branding :))

Definitely! :))
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,376

I better cancel all my Annul Leave booked for then

Being serious this is the only thing they could do

It would be shocking if they went ahead with the Euro's given the current situation. On the plus side, this will give the European leagues a chance to finish up their remaining fixtures during that period (should de situation the more manageable by then).

It would be shocking if they went ahead with the Euro's given the current situation. On the plus side, this will give the European leagues a chance to finish up their remaining fixtures during that period (should de situation the more manageable by then).

Exactly, personally I think at some point the seasons will commence behind closed doors if none infection from all parties can be guaranteed.

Just realized Norway broke the Euro 2020 news not UEFA

Exactly, personally I think at some point the seasons will commence behind closed doors if none infection from all parties can be guaranteed.

I saw a tweet suggesting that possibility. I can't remember if it was a journalist speculating, or a quote from someone in the FA, though.

Haha, yes! They were a bit early there!

I saw a tweet suggesting that possibility. I can't remember if it was a journalist speculating, or a quote from someone in the FA, though.

I bet UEFA were not happy lol

Either behind closed doors or season voided and when things resume everything is as it was back in August, though that will no doubt create a lot of court cases. If it were all voided Arsenal bizarrely would find themselves in the CL.

Either behind closed doors or season voided and when things resume everything is as it was back in August, though that will no doubt create a lot of court cases. If it were all voided Arsenal bizarrely would find themselves in the CL.

Haha, no!

If the league season was to be voided, Arsenal would still be in fifth, so the CL chances would all depend on City and their potential CL ban, wouldn't it?

Haha, no!

If the league season was to be voided, Arsenal would still be in fifth, so the CL chances would all depend on City and their potential CL ban, wouldn't it?

That's what I was referring too, Arsenal very likely would take City's spot. Its highly unlikely City will sort out there situation by August even more so because of current events.

Haha, no!

That's what I was referring too, Arsenal very likely would take City's spot. Its highly unlikely City will sort out there situation by August even more so because of current events.

Indeed, that's a good point. I think it's highly unlikely they will just make the current season void however, given the consequences that might lead to.

Haha, no!

Indeed, that's a good point. I think it's highly unlikely they will just make the current season void however, given the consequences that might lead to.

Karen Brady was pushing for the season to be voided, last week it was discussed by some in the media that if 14 clubs voted yes then it would happen if it came to that. Though each day now feels like a year to be honest, god knows what will happen

Haha, no!

Karen Brady was pushing for the season to be voided, last week it was discussed by some in the media that if 14 clubs voted yes then it would happen if it came to that. Though each day now feels like a year to be honest, god knows what will happen

Didn't know they could do that i 14 clubs agreed. I'm sure there would be several clubs who would find that a good idea, City, Sp*rs and Arsenal included.

Guess we'll know eventually!

Makes sense to extend the window of no games further, with Euro 2020 out of the way there is time, I think a lot will depend on good will regarding players who's contracts may end before the end of the season (Normal end of the season)

Makes sense to extend the window of no games further, with Euro 2020 out of the way there is time, I think a lot will depend on good will regarding players who's contracts may end before the end of the season (Normal end of the season)

Indeed. It will be interesting to see how they will handle all this long-term. Extending the season is easy now with the Euro's postponed, but player contracts (I'm sure there's a lot of intricate details there), agents pulling strings etc, will make this a very complicated matter.

Indeed. It will be interesting to see how they will handle all this long-term. Extending the season is easy now with the Euro's postponed, but player contracts (I'm sure there's a lot of intricate details there), agents pulling strings etc, will make this a very complicated matter.

Soon as training behind closed doors resumes that will give us a clear indication of things going forward, players will need a mini pre season though I would expect players in isolation will be trying to keep a good level of elite fitness.

Soon as training behind closed doors resumes that will give us a clear indication of things going forward, players will need a mini pre season though I would expect players in isolation will be trying to keep a good level of elite fitness.

Very true; the players will no doubt have few problems keeping fit, but the lack of actual team/regular training will probably require them to take some time just getting back into things.

That's fantastic, I expect many players to do the same.

Yes, I won't be surprised if we see more of this. Things are a bit different for Norwegian clubs though, where staff and players are temporarily laid off as a result of the league being postponed.

Yes, I won't be surprised if we see more of this. Things are a bit different for Norwegian clubs though, where staff and players are temporarily laid off as a result of the league being postponed.

It will be a difficult time for many, I hope those laid of will get the support they need.

It will be a difficult time for many, I hope those laid of will get the support they need.

Indeed. There will no doubt be a lot of people in need for support – in any field of work really. The football community looks to do what it can though, with several clubs donating food etc.

This was great to see as well:

@Torgeirtrap Its great to see those capable of helping doing so much good, Io read Arteta is ok now and speaking with players.
    @Torgeirtrap Its great to see those capable of helping doing so much good, Io read Arteta is ok now and speaking with players.

Yes, it's really great to see. And since football clubs (or rather, the large football clubs) have a lot of funds available, they can also do their bit in their local communities/cities – like Roma have done now.

Yes, it's really great to see. And since football clubs (or rather, the large football clubs) have a lot of funds available, they can also do their bit in their local communities/cities – like Roma have done now.

The big clubs have players on a few weeks wages that would last most people years, money in football is obscene. Top clubs and players really are in a position to do so much good.