"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited March 2020 Posts: 17,293
    @Torgeirtrap Its great to see those capable of helping doing so much good, Io read Arteta is ok now and speaking with players.

Yes, it's really great to see. And since football clubs (or rather, the large football clubs) have a lot of funds available, they can also do their bit in their local communities/cities – like Roma have done now.

The big clubs have players on a few weeks wages that would last most people years, money in football is obscene. Top clubs and players really are in a position to do so much good.

Certainly, the money in football and the wages the players can demand are simply ridiculous; what was Alexis Sánchez' United salary again? It will be interesting to see what clubs and players will do in the upcoming weeks.
    ______

:))

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,376
    @Torgeirtrap Sanchez is on 450K a week for being injured alot. Ole said a few months back that he is to return to play for United next season, though I suspect its an attempt to try to create the illusion that he is still an asset worth buying.

The Milner clips are funny, though it would not surprise me if that is something he does regularly lol

@Torgeirtrap Sanchez is on 450K a week for being injured alot. Ole said a few months back that he is to return to play for United next season, though I suspect its an attempt to try to create the illusion that he is still an asset worth buying.

The Milner clips are funny, though it would not surprise me if that is something he does regularly lol

I was surprised by those comments by Solskjær, but as you write, they are no doubt trying all they can to get something from selling him. Sánchez' big mistake was leaving Arsenal.

I imagine there is some reality to thee clips, haha! He's probably a very meticulous person, which is great when you're a top level athlete.
    Found this one by accident. Different times!

mrs-mortimer-wife-of-the-chairmen-of-bath-city-fc-football-club-helps-picture-id785375285?s.jpg=2048x2048
    Mrs Mortimer, wife of the Chairmen of Bath City FC football Club, helps her husband Arthur Mortimer with drying the freshly laundered players shirts and kit on a clothes line in their garden in England in September 1943.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

mrs-mortimer-wife-of-the-chairmen-of-bath-city-fc-football-club-helps-picture-id785375285?s.jpg=2048x2048
    Mrs Mortimer, wife of the Chairmen of Bath City FC football Club, helps her husband Arthur Mortimer with drying the freshly laundered players shirts and kit on a clothes line in their garden in England in September 1943.

That's a great photo of simpler times, though obviously during War time in 1943. I think the crisis we are in makes people appreciate the little things. I did the some running on the beach early morning, sound of the sea, sun blazing, I felt very lucky.

That's a great photo of simpler times, though obviously during War time in 1943. I think the crisis we are in makes people appreciate the little things. I did the some running on the beach early morning, sound of the sea, sun blazing, I felt very lucky.

Agree, the simpler things are all the more important now, and hopefully it will after all this too! Haven't been out for a run myself (I'm not much of a runner), but I've been out for a few walks, which has been nice. I live on the outskirts my home town, and there's definitely more people running and walking than before. I imagine many of these people are people you'd ordinarily find at the local gym.

Agree, the simpler things are all the more important now, and hopefully it will after all this too! Haven't been out for a run myself (I'm not much of a runner), but I've been out for a few walks, which has been nice. I live on the outskirts my home town, and there's definitely more people running and walking than before. I imagine many of these people are people you'd ordinarily find at the local gym.

I used to run years ago then had issues with my knee so switched to cycling, last few weeks been training a lot more than I have in a year or so. The best way to beat this thing hanging over the world is try to be as positive and healthy as possible even in the smallest of ways. Its quiet in my town in certain area's which is a blessing, It must be so difficult in big city's like London.

I used to run years ago then had issues with my knee so switched to cycling, last few weeks been training a lot more than I have in a year or so. The best way to beat this thing hanging over the world is try to be as positive and healthy as possible even in the smallest of ways. Its quiet in my town in certain area's which is a blessing, It must be so difficult in big city's like London.

Although I've never had major issues with my knees, it has occurred that I've felt the occasional discomfort in my knees when running, so that's one of the reasons I've always sought alternatives to running as an exercise. Looking back, it's really no surprise that my knees aren't the best either, as I played most of my football as a kid on artificial turf and gravel pitches; only during the summer months did we have regular playing time on grass pitches (at school or regular football practice).

I can't imagine how it's like trying to stay active in big cities right now. The streets are no doubt less crowded but still, it's much easier in a small town close to the countryside.

Although I've never had major issues with my knees, it has occurred that I've felt the occasional discomfort in my knees when running, so that's one of the reasons I've always sought alternatives to running as an exercise. Looking back, it's really no surprise that my knees aren't the best either, as I played most of my football as a kid on artificial turf and gravel pitches; only during the summer months did we have regular playing time on grass pitches (at school or regular football practice).

I can't imagine how it's like trying to stay active in big cities right now. The streets are no doubt less crowded but still, it's much easier in a small town close to the countryside.

Running on hard surfaces is like three times your body weight putting stress on joints, I did run with a knee support for years though cycling was just a much better option, plus can travel further lol.

Just been outside to collect some items and I got irritated by just maybe two random people not paying attention to where they are walking lol I would be a nightmare in a city.

Decided from now on I will only go out early hours for emergencies, I have everything I need now, so its just about stocking up food now and then.

YouTube are playing a lot of old Man United match highlights so may watch some of them.

Running on hard surfaces is like three times your body weight putting stress on joints, I did run with a knee support for years though cycling was just a much better option, plus can travel further lol.

Just been outside to collect some items and I got irritated by just maybe two random people not paying attention to where they are walking lol I would be a nightmare in a city.

Decided from now on I will only go out early hours for emergencies, I have everything I need now, so its just about stocking up food now and then.

YouTube are playing a lot of old Man United match highlights so may watch some of them.

It definitely does put added stress on joints. A lot of pitches over here are now artificial turf (probably most of them), and it will be interesting to see if there will be more sports related injuries as a result of it.

I know the feeling! People generally don't pay attention to where they're walking…

I only go shopping early in the day now, as there's less people in the stores then. For the first time ever, I wore gloves while shopping today. Strange times. Anyway, I recommend listening to sports podcasts now that there are no games. Some podcasts still manage to produce interesting content while this is going on.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Marouane Fellaini has been diagnosed with coronavirus following his return to China.
    The season start of the Norwegian league, Eliteserien, is now postponed to the end of May. The league was due to start in early April, then postponed to early May.
    The season start of the Norwegian league, Eliteserien, is now postponed to the end of May. The league was due to start in early April, then postponed to early May.

Realistically I can't see Leagues restarting for 3 month's, with most country's in lockdown now.

Realistically I can't see Leagues restarting for 3 month's, with most country's in lockdown now.

I think we might have to wait a while, yes. This postponement by the Norwegian FA is of course subject to change depending on the situation, which was clarified by the FA in the press release.

I think we might have to wait a while, yes. This postponement by the Norwegian FA is of course subject to change depending on the situation, which was clarified by the FA in the press release.

Makes sense to postpone incremently, keeps spirits up also.

Makes sense to postpone incremently, keeps spirits up also.

The way the situation is, it's probably the best option they have. A sports journalist in one of the Norwegian newspapers called it naive to think the league could get started again that soon, and that they should have set a more likely date. But the FA will no doubt want to keep a more optimistic view on things.

It's nice to see that footballers and managers try and help out on their own initiative.

It's nice to see that footballers and managers try and help out on their own initiative.

Pep would no doubt not want any credit, though I would do the same if I could. Sports people, actors, singers etc are in such a position they can really help save lives.

Pep would no doubt not want any credit, though I would do the same if I could. Sports people, actors, singers etc are in such a position they can really help save lives.

They certainly are, and it's good to see that some of them use their position to do so.

They certainly are, and it's good to see that some of them use their position to do so.

I said to a friend a few weeks ago that this crisis will bring out the best in people.

I said to a friend a few weeks ago that this crisis will bring out the best in people.

It's definitely brought out the best in many people. We can only hope it stays that way for this period and beyond.

Had he been partying?

Had he been partying?

Not sure though some have suggested the possibility, generally there has been word that a lot of people have been sneaking into house's for party's across the country, totally mindless behavior. I had to go out to stock up today, I saw one idiot all over the place drunk with a can of beer in his hand. One shop I steered clear of was only letting a few in at a time though the cue outside was basically a crowd of people huddled together, its bloody crazy some people are clueless.

Had he been partying?

Not sure though some have suggested the possibility, generally there has been word that a lot of people have been sneaking into house's for party's across the country, totally mindless behavior. I had to go out to stock up today, I saw one idiot all over the place drunk with a can of beer in his hand. One shop I steered clear of was only letting a few in at a time though the cue outside was basically a crowd of people huddled together, its bloody crazy some people are clueless.

Mindless behaviour indeed. Hopefully there's a more harmless reason (if you can call it that) to this incident.

Luckily, I haven't experienced cues or anything like that in these last few weeks. It looks like there's little hoarding of groceries too, which is positive.

Had he been partying?

Mindless behaviour indeed. Hopefully there's a more harmless reason (if you can call it that) to this incident.

Luckily, I haven't experienced cues or anything like that in these last few weeks. It looks like there's little hoarding of groceries too, which is positive.

I have found a shop that is always empty when I go in, been avoiding supermarkets. Though I need fresh veg and fruit so will have to go to Supermarket tomorrow unless I can find a delivery on the day alternative.

Hopefully the Grealish situation is innocent and he just crashed on the way to get food or something.

Had he been partying?

I have found a shop that is always empty when I go in, been avoiding supermarkets. Though I need fresh veg and fruit so will have to go to Supermarket tomorrow unless I can find a delivery on the day alternative.

Hopefully the Grealish situation is innocent and he just crashed on the way to get food or something.

For once I'm happy I live in a small town, where the grocery stores are rarely packed with people. Even so, I've been doing my shopping early in the morning lately, when the stores are at their most quiet.

I guess we'll know soon enough what happened. While Grealish is making the headlines for less fortunate reasons, Tyrone Mings is being a class act:

No comment
    ---

Had he been partying?

For once I'm happy I live in a small town, where the grocery stores are rarely packed with people. Even so, I've been doing my shopping early in the morning lately, when the stores are at their most quiet.

I guess we'll know soon enough what happened. While Grealish is making the headlines for less fortunate reasons, Tyrone Mings is being a class act:

That's great there are a lot of brave people working on the front line. It's good to see a good sense of community support from some.