"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Dutch Eredivisie season has been voided, meaning league leaders Ajax have been denied the title as they lead AZ Alkmaar on goal difference.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2020 Posts: 23,395
    IT'S COMING HOME! Premier League football could be back ‘within weeks’ with games on TV as grounds stay shut
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11476053/premier-league-games-back-tv-within-weeks/
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,297
    IT'S COMING HOME! Premier League football could be back ‘within weeks’ with games on TV as grounds stay shut
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11476053/premier-league-games-back-tv-within-weeks/

Weeks? Wow, that's early!

In the meantime, the Faroese league is due to start early May. I think TV2 here in Norway are considering buying the rights, so there might be some football to watch soon, at least!
    _________

And Eliteserien will not play games with audiences until September the earliest. Still no news about when the season actually will start.

Sounds very unrealistic, unreasonable and immoral...
    The Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee and Confederation of Sports (NIF) have asked the government about the possibilities of starting the football season from 15 June. In the letter, NIF writes:

"As a first initiative to resuming sports, within the current anti-contagion legislation, NIF and the Norwegian Football Association (NFF) want to conduct a" pilot "in Norwegian top tier football where activity is resumed with strict contagion measures."

“The pilot involves the start of football training in top tier football on May 4, and top football matches from June 15. The pilot will be evaluated on an ongoing basis and the experience will be useful in the further process of resuming sports in line with the rest of society. "
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Ligue 1 has been declared as over. PSG are crowned champions. Promotions and relegations between Ligue 1 & Ligue 2 will be decided at a later date.
    Ligue 1 has been declared as over. PSG are crowned champions. Promotions and relegations between Ligue 1 & Ligue 2 will be decided at a later date.

I wonder if any of the other big leagues will do the same.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Doomed to fail
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Proposals have been drafted by Premier League director of football Richard Garlick, but a return to training will only happen with the agreement of the government.

Proposals include:

- Players will have to cover their faces
    - Testing all players and officials 48 hours before returning to training and they will also be tested for potential respiratory problems associated with coronavirus
    - All footballs, global positioning system [GPS] units, cones, corner flags, goalposts and other equipment to be disinfected before and after use by staff wearing personal protective equipment [PPE]
    - Players to wear snood/masks at all times
    - Cars to be parked three spaces apart
    - No massages unless approved by club doctor
    - Fluids to be left at designated pick-up points
    - Only visit training block to use toilet
    - Initially only five players per training group
    - Players to be given designated time slots and 15 minutes to prepare
    - 75 minutes of small group training
    - 15 minutes recovery
    - Players and staff will be banned from spitting at the training ground

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/11981088/premier-league-players-will-have-to-cover-faces-in-full-training
    Proposals have been drafted by Premier League director of football Richard Garlick, but a return to training will only happen with the agreement of the government.

Proposals include:

- Players will have to cover their faces
    - Testing all players and officials 48 hours before returning to training and they will also be tested for potential respiratory problems associated with coronavirus
    - All footballs, global positioning system [GPS] units, cones, corner flags, goalposts and other equipment to be disinfected before and after use by staff wearing personal protective equipment [PPE]
    - Players to wear snood/masks at all times
    - Cars to be parked three spaces apart
    - No massages unless approved by club doctor
    - Fluids to be left at designated pick-up points
    - Only visit training block to use toilet
    - Initially only five players per training group
    - Players to be given designated time slots and 15 minutes to prepare
    - 75 minutes of small group training
    - 15 minutes recovery
    - Players and staff will be banned from spitting at the training ground

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/11981088/premier-league-players-will-have-to-cover-faces-in-full-training

It just can't work, I wear a mask for several hours and only after a short space of time I feel dehydrated and I am only walking.

So what happens if play is stopped when players usually have a quick mouthful of water, soon as a mask is removed its potentially contaminated. Someone gets tackled and the mask falls off, maybe it's just me though I think it's ludicrous to even attempt any of this.

We are heading into summer which will make masks ever more unbearable to wear for numerous reasons.

Also wasting tests where they should be given to front line staff is immoral.

Void all football now IMO.
    PPE should not be prioritised for football or any other sport for that matter when it is desperately needed for front line workers. With the greatest of respect, their is NO CURE, and an effective vaccine is around 12 to 18 months away best case scenario?

So next season may as well not happen across the whole of sport. So when I hear it will be a morale boost for the country? I think it is biggest piece of BS going! Not everyone loves football so it would not be an entire country wide boost. The season should continue when it is safe to do so? Not because the Premier League brand is losing money. I love football as much as many people do, but it makes me sick to think PPE will be sacrificed to do it.

Annoyed rant over!

I just hope they don't push to resume the season too soon…

I can't see why people can't get it through their heads that the season should be finished but only when it is realistically safe to do so?
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 17,297
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I can't see why people can't get it through their heads that the season should be finished but only when it is realistically safe to do so?

I see some journalists keep bringing up the financial situations of the clubs (especially below the top tier) as a factor for resuming the season this early, but surely, health should come first.

Some players have spoken out against the plans of resuming the leagues early. Like FC Köln’s Birger Verstraete:

From what I have read many players are very scared about resuming the season and seeking advice from senior players. Clubs should not force players who are clearly in fear of there lives to go anywhere near a pitch irrespective of what the outcome is.
    The next few days come weeks will certainly be interesting? Hopefully common sense will come through?!!!
    Premier League clubs are considering playing the entire 2020-2021 season behind closed doors.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,395
    From what I have read many players are very scared about resuming the season and seeking advice from senior players. Clubs should not force players who are clearly in fear of there lives to go anywhere near a pitch irrespective of what the outcome is.

Hopefully that won't happen. But it wouldn't be surprising if many players feel pressured to resume playing should the league start up again early.
    Premier League clubs are considering playing the entire 2020-2021 season behind closed doors.

No matchday revenue for a whole season? Wonder how they'll make up for that, should it happen.

How will they justify that to the police? Fans will try and turn up still!
    Two members of staff at Borussia Monchengladbach have tested positive for COVID-19.

The Rheinische Post claim that one player and a physio at the Bundesliga side have tested positive and have entered two-week periods of quarantine.

Training has continued at the club, with the Bundesliga hopeful of resuming later this month.

Monchengladbach themselves are yet to confirm the news.

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/two-positive-coronavirus-tests-borussia-monchengladbach-1010455
    Two members of staff at Borussia Monchengladbach have tested positive for COVID-19.

The Rheinische Post claim that one player and a physio at the Bundesliga side have tested positive and have entered two-week periods of quarantine.

Training has continued at the club, with the Bundesliga hopeful of resuming later this month.

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/two-positive-coronavirus-tests-borussia-monchengladbach-1010455

Interesting as only ten days away from German restart, it appears they will go ahead from previous stated strategy

Interesting as only ten days away from German restart, it appears they will go ahead from previous stated strategy

Yes, it looks that way. It will be interesting to see how it goes, should the Bundesliga resume their season. It might give an indication on how the PL will approach their strategy as well.

Yes, it looks that way. It will be interesting to see how it goes, should the Bundesliga resume their season. It might give an indication on how the PL will approach their strategy as well.

I think if there are alot of cases it may stop abruptly.
    I heard earlier that some were proposing shorter matches, five substitutes in the Premier League restart, I can't see that happening to be honest.

I think if there are alot of cases it may stop abruptly.
    I heard earlier that some were proposing shorter matches, five substitutes in the Premier League restart, I can't see that happening to be honest.

It will no doubt be something they'll keep track of, when/if the leagues resumes.

Can't imagine the leagues implementing changes to the game itself (number of subs etc.). I think they'll have enough with the precautions they have to take in order to actually play the games.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Aguero is going to need a different set of skills:

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-05-07-a-11-17-25.png
    Eliteserien will start the season 16 June:

Apparently six teams are against the Premier League restarting, if one more team is against it the whole thing will be scrapped.
    Apparently six teams are against the Premier League restarting, if one more team is against it the whole thing will be scrapped.

Interesting. Wonder who those six clubs are.