"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited August 2019 Posts: 7,500
    jobo wrote: »
    You have to at least respect Arsenal to survive on this thread. Based on the content during the last couple of months, it should be renamed the Arsenal thread... ;)

You're always welcome to share Barca content on here, @jobo ;-)

Malcom just got sold to Zenit Saint Petersburg, I see. An expected transfer out?

Yes. They were planning to sell him this summer. With Griezmann and possibly Neymar coming in at least one attacker had to go, and he was the obvious choice. Valverde nevet showed real faith in him to begin with, undeservedly according to many. But he was never going to be more than a bench player at best this season anyway, and the club needs to be able to sell with reasonable profit for once...

The board is hopefull they will be able to get serious money for Coutinho as well. Remains to be seen if that is plausible or not. They are also willing to move on Rakitic if a reasonable offer comes in.

I see. Do you think there's anything to the Neymar rumours?

I bet the price tag on Coutinho will scare away a lot of clubs; he can't go cheap. Even the loan price that's been reported, is apparently very high.

Rakitić has been rumoured to United, I think.

There is definitely something to those rumours. We know for sure Neymar is desperate to get away, we know PSG feel the pressure to let him go, and we know Barca would want to get him back if a reasonable opportunity arises. Whether it is a good idea or not... well, it is hard to tell. PSG has already lowered their initial asking price considerably. The closer we get to deadline day, the more desperate they will be, as being stuck with a player on a ridiculous wage bill and who doesn´t cooperate is an unwanted scenario. Right now Barca don´t have the funds, but there are ways to get around that. One solution that has been rumored is to do what PSG did with Mbappe and officially "loan" the player for one season with an obligatory purchase next summer. Another plan is to hopefully get some solid funds from Coutinho, Rakitic and Malcom that together would facilitate a bid at somewhere between 100 and 150 million euros (perhaps payed in installments with additional bonuses) which PSG might feel forced to accept. For the time being Barca can confidently play the waiting game. The pressure is not really on them, but on Neymar who desperately wants a move and on PSG who face the dilemma of having a troublesome player in the squad.

All in all a move is reasonably likely. Whether it would be a good thing for Barca if it happens? I am not sure...
    You have to at least respect Arsenal to survive on this thread. Based on the content during the last couple of months, it should be renamed the Arsenal thread... ;)

Malcom just got sold to Zenit Saint Petersburg, I see. An expected transfer out?

Yes. They were planning to sell him this summer. With Griezmann and possibly Neymar coming in at least one attacker had to go, and he was the obvious choice. Valverde nevet showed real faith in him to begin with, undeservedly according to many. But he was never going to be more than a bench player at best this season anyway, and the club needs to be able to sell with reasonable profit for once...

The board is hopefull they will be able to get serious money for Coutinho as well. Remains to be seen if that is plausible or not. They are also willing to move on Rakitic if a reasonable offer comes in.

I bet the price tag on Coutinho will scare away a lot of clubs; he can't go cheap. Even the loan price that's been reported, is apparently very high.

There is definitely something to those rumours. We know for sure Neymar is desperate to get away, we know PSG feel the pressure to let him go, and we know Barca would want to get him back if a reasonable opportunity arises. Whether it is a good idea or not... well, it is hard to tell. PSG has already lowered their initial asking price considerably. The closer we get to deadline day, the more desperate they will be, as being stuck with a player on a ridiculous wage bill and who doesn´t cooperate is an unwanted scenario. Right now Barca don´t have the funds, but there are ways to get around that. One solution that has been rumored is to do what PSG did with Mbappe and officially "loan" the player for one season with an obligatory purchase next summer. Another plan is to hopefully get some solid funds from Coutinho, Rakitic and Malcom that together would facilitate a bid at somewhere between 100 and 150 million euros (perhaps payed in installments with additional bonuses) which PSG might feel forced to accept. For the time being Barca can confidently play the waiting game. The pressure is not really on them, but on Neymar who desperately wants a move and on PSG who face the dilemma of having a troublesome player in the squad.

All in all a move is reasonably likely. Whether it would be a good thing for Barca if it happens? I am not sure...

The possible outcomes you mention here does look like likely scenarios. Perhaps even more so with the rumours of Coutinho/Rakitić leaving. If English clubs are to make bids, they're working against the clock, though.

The whole Neymar "saga" has always looked so strange to me. Why did he leave Barca in the first place?

The possible outcomes you mention here does look like likely scenarios. Perhaps even more so with the rumours of Coutinho/Rakitić leaving. If English clubs are to make bids, they're working against the clock, though.

The whole Neymar "saga" has always looked so strange to me. Why did he leave Barca in the first place?

Good question. There were some explenations put forward at the time. That he "wanted a new challenge", wanted to "be the main man", liked Paris and the Brazilian team mates at PSG and of course the enormous pay rise. All of them might be true, but I think another huge factor was his agent, Neymar Sr who saw it as a great opportunity to earn another ridiculous agent fee. Some agents make sure their players often change clubs and sign for the teams that are willing to pay the best sign on fees. Mino Raiola is famous for it. And I have a feeling some of these young superstars are quite easily manipulated.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 17,293

Good question. There were some explenations put forward at the time. That he "wanted a new challenge", wanted to "be the main man", liked Paris and the Brazilian team mates at PSG and of course the enormous pay rise. All of them might be true, but I think another huge factor was his agent, Neymar Sr who saw it as a great opportunity to earn another ridiculous agent fee. Some agents make sure their players often change clubs and sign for the teams that are willing to pay the best sign on fees. Mino Raiola is famous for it. And I have a feeling some of these young superstars are quite easily manipulated.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. Agents hold so much power these days, and have so much impact on where their clients end up playing. This is unlikely to change, I'm afraid.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Another match MC had no business winning.
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    TripAces wrote: »
    Another match MC had no business winning.

Lack of transfers for Liverpool super frustrating. They all look tired. Like that the OX and Adam are back so two new signings there maybe? Bring back PC and he'll die for the club to get him out of that nightmare he's been living. It'll give us a spark.

Plus watch the Ladies' British Golf Open if you have a chance cracking last hour - proper sporting drama. This lady needs to win.

• edited August 2019 Posts: 4,025
    I think LFC look tired because Klopp works them harder than most in pre season. I think their advanced fitness showed in the last half hour as Citeh flagged.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Well that was an underwhelming outcome to transfer deadline day, I am glad I slept through it and missed all the BS from Sky Sports
    Quite a few clubs slept through it too.
    Pépé, Tierney, Luiz, Martinelli, Saliba (coming next season) and Ceballos (loan). Could be worse.
    Pépé, Tierney, Luiz, Martinelli, Saliba (coming next season) and Ceballos (loan). Could be worse.

For all the negativity I think Arsenal have had a more than reasonable transfer window.

For all the negativity I think Arsenal have had a more than reasonable transfer window.

It's as good as fans could have hoped for. Unfortunately it's not enough, IMO; Arsenal will struggle as usual conceding goals, which will certainly place them outside top four.
    norwich have spent 1.1 million. the lowest. the next lowest are liverpool. why? really confused?

It's as good as fans could have hoped for. Unfortunately it's not enough, IMO; Arsenal will struggle as usual conceding goals, which will certainly place them outside top four.

why so neagative? you could've landed big Andy from the Hammers.
    norwich have spent 1.1 million. the lowest. the next lowest are liverpool. why? really confused?

Did Liverpool really need to strengthen? They could go with a bit more coverage in certain places in the team, but they still look good for the season.

I'm just being realistic; I think this season will be even more competitive, and the Arsenal defence is still a concern. Again, I think they did as good as possible. They weren't going to sign a £80m CB like United did.
    ________

Andy to Newcastle isn't the worst transfer, is it? I heard the contract is a pay-as-you-play deal – which I guess will suit both him and the club.

Did Liverpool really need to strengthen? They could go with a bit more coverage in certain places in the team, but they still look good for the season.

I'm just being realistic; I think this season will be even more competitive, and the Arsenal defence is still a concern. Again, I think they did as good as possible. They weren't going to sign a £80m CB like United did.
    ________

Andy to Newcastle isn't the worst transfer, is it? I heard the contract is a pay-as-you-play deal – which I guess will suit both him and the club.

He's like Michael Owen joining Newshafted United, an injury just waiting to happen.

He knew the magic monotony of existence between sky and water: he had to bear the criticism of men, the exactions of the sea, and the prosaic severity of the daily task that gives bread — but whose only reward is in the perfect love of the work. This reward eluded him. Yet he could not go back, because there is nothing more enticing, disenchanting, and enslaving than the life at sea … . Only once in all that time he had again a glimpse of the earnestness in the anger of the sea. That truth is not so often made apparent as people might think. There are many shades in the danger of adventures and gales, and it is only now and then that there appears on the face of facts a sinister violence of intention — that indefinable something which forces it upon the mind and the heart of a man, that this complication of accidents or these elemental furies are coming at him with a purpose of malice, with a strength beyond control, with an unbridled cruelty that means to tear out of him his hope and his fear, the pain of his fatigue and his longing for rest.

________

He's like Michael Owen joining Newshafted United, an injury just waiting to happen.

That's probably the reason behind the pay-as-you-play deal.

________

That's probably the reason behind the pay-as-you-play deal.

He is still on a contract for a year though so who knows.

As for Arsenal,i'm very happy with how it turned out.
    We now have 2 seriously good full backs in Tierney and Bellerin (when he is back),very quick.
    Lazarette,Aub,and Pepe up front,again,serious speed.

And now Unai can play his favourite back three re centre backs,with David Luiz's speed,passing ability and free kick potential.

And a few youngsters,also we offloaded Iwobi to get £35m back in the bank.

I'm more excited about Arsenal than for a long time,the damage the team can do is immense.

And still Bellerin and Holding to come back.
    Don't know how I feel about Iwobi leaving, but I guess the fee was more than alright. It will be interesting to see how this will impact the playing time of the other young players. It will surely give Reiss Nelson more playing time.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I don't want to sound like sour grapes, but David Luiz is overrated. I was happy the first time he left Chelsea, and gutted he came back.
    He's a yellow / red card nightmare. Doesn't stay in position always, playing far to far forward. I hope he does better at Arsenal, certainly not one I'll miss from the Chelsea squad.
    Benny wrote: »
    I don't want to sound like sour grapes, but David Luiz is overrated. I was happy the first time he left Chelsea, and gutted he came back.
    He's a yellow / red card nightmare. Doesn't stay in position always, playing far to far forward. I hope he does better at Arsenal, certainly not one I'll miss from the Chelsea squad.

We'll see Benster ;)
    Benny wrote: »

I agree, but he's better than the option(s) – and he's worked with Emery before. As a Deadline Day transfer and given the prices CB's go for these days, Arsenal couldn't have done better. It's not enough though; Arsenal are waaaaay behind the other teams, and won't do much better this season, IMO.
    For those of us following the PL, how do you think the 2019/20 season will end? Here's my league table predictions:

1. Manchester City
    2. Liverpool
    3. Sp*rs
    4. Chelsea

5. Manchester United
    6. Everton
    7. Arsenal
    8. Leicester
    9. Wolves
    10. West Ham
    11. Watford
    12. Bournemouth
    13. Southampton
    14. Burnley
    15. Crystal Palace
    16. Aston Villa
    17. Norwich
    18. Brighton
    19. Newcastle
    20. Sheffield United
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 7,500
    You should swap Arsenal and Chelsea. I have no faith at all in Lampard as a manager, and Arsenal have a promising eleven and a much more accomplished coach.

You can probably swap Liverpool and Spurs as well. I have a feeling Liverpool will get a reality check this season. Not strenghtening at all this summer will be revealed to be a mistake I think. Everything came together perfectly for them last season. They will still be a good team but I don´t think things will run as smoothly this season. Their squad is still light, and Klopp´s football drains energy.

Edit: I also think both Everton and Chelsea will finish above Manchester United. Ole will be gone by November... and even the Norwegian media will feel it´s about time when it happens ;)
    You should swap Arsenal and Chelsea. I have no faith at all in Lampard as a manager, and Arsenal have a promising eleven and a much more accomplished coach.

I actually think Lampard can do well with that young squad. They have an alright defence too, which is why I think Chelsea will manage 4th. It will be tight between some of the teams though.

As for Arsenal, they're a long way from having a preferred starting eleven due to injuries; Tierney, Holding and Bellerín are out for weeks/months still, and in the meantime I expect Arsenal to concede a lot of goals. Will they score enough to get enough points? I fear not.
    You can probably swap Liverpool and Spurs as well. I have a feeling Liverpool will get a reality check this season. Not strenghtening at all this summer will be revealed to be a mistake I think. Everything came together perfectly for them last season. They will still be a good team but I don´t think things will run as smoothly this season. Their squad is still light, and Klopp´s football drains energy.

There's a chance this might actually happen. Sp*rs are (unfortunately) looking strong, but I still believe that Liverpool will finish above them.
    Edit: I also think both Everton and Chelsea will finish above Manchester United. Ole will be gone by November... and even the Norwegian media will feel it´s about time when it happens ;)

I can see two scenarios re. United; either the one you're predicting (with a new manager keeping them top six), or that they manage enough wins to keep them in the top four race, strengthening in January – finishing anywhere between 4th-6th (my prediction: 5th).
    edited August 2019 Posts: 222

These LGBQT fulled attacks need to be stopped. These crimes or threats need to be taken seriously.
    For those of us following the PL, how do you think the 2019/20 season will end? Here's my league table predictions:

1. Liverpool
    2. Liverpool
    3. Liverpool
    4. Liverpool
    5. Liverpool
    6. Liverpool
    7. Liverpool
    8. Liverpool
    9. Liverpool
    10. Liverpool
    11. Liverpool
    12. Liverpool
    13. Liverpool
    14. Liverpool
    15. Liverpool
    16. Liverpool
    17. Liverpool
    18. Liverpool
    19. City
    20. United

These LGBQT fulled attacks need to be stopped. These crimes or threats need to be taken seriously.

LGBQT?

1. Liverpool
    2. Liverpool
    3. Liverpool
    4. Liverpool
    5. Liverpool
    6. Liverpool
    7. Liverpool
    8. Liverpool
    9. Liverpool
    10. Liverpool
    11. Liverpool
    12. Liverpool
    13. Liverpool
    14. Liverpool
    15. Liverpool
    16. Liverpool
    17. Liverpool
    18. Liverpool
    19. City
    20. United

I don't think Klopp's squad is big enough to manage this.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 222
    top of the table and that's where we're staying.

Bobby is disgusting, so rude, so dirty. What a player of high tekkers.