"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

jobo wrote: »
    The thing is that Zidane has not really wanted to ship out players. With the exception of Bale and James, he is basically putting his faith in the same aging group of players he had last time around. Many Madridistas are concerned. They expected and overhaul. Instead their first eleven will be basically the same as last year with Hazard in it.

That's why I added "if he wants to" ;-)
    But I agree, it's a bit strange how similar that starting eleven looks like from season to season.

It will be very interesting to follow Real Madrid next season. Will those same key players have a renaissance or will the downward trend we have seen for the last couple of seasons continue? And will new players like Jovic and

I guess there's a chance of those players having a renaissance, but I don't think they'll be the same as a few seasons back.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    We still need a midfielder and 2 CB's.

Someone like Lewis Dunk would be good,or use Cahill as a free stopgap until January.

I don't think they'll try to get a midfielder now, with Ceballos, Torreira, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Özil, Willock (great talent) and Elneny all options. Not saying that the midfield doesn't need strengthening, but I think they will and should concentrate on CB's.

I wonder if this will be Arsenal's regular starting eleven this season:

Leno
    Bellerín (Maitland-Niles) - Sokratis - Holding (Mustafi/Chambers) - Kolašinac (Monreal)
    Ceballos (Guendouzi) - Xhaka (Torreira)
    Özil
    Pépé (Mkhitaryan) - Aubameyang (Iwobi)
    Lacazette

Leno is #1 now that Čech is retired, Bellerín will play a lot when he's back; in the meantime Maitland-Niles will be able to take that spot (he's also an option in midfield), Sokratis is the senior CB and will be a sure starter, with Holding likely to start alongside him when fit (Mustafi and Chambers likely to play too).

I can't see how the midfield will look like. Ceballos is promised playing time, but I don't know who will play alongside him; Xhaka or Torreira (or both?). Özil will probably play behind a front three of sorts, where Aubameyang and Lacazette hopefully will play together, with Pépé/Mkhitaryan.

I wouldn't play Ceballos in central midfield. He is more effective with more attacking freedom.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ceballos getting some attacking freedom (much like Ramsey did), but I can't see who they'll drop to give him that freedom; Özil?

It will probably have to be Özil. He never tracks back...

Definitely,he is not one of Emery's favourites for sure.
    Or mine.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 17,293
    The thing is that Zidane has not really wanted to ship out players. With the exception of Bale and James, he is basically putting his faith in the same aging group of players he had last time around. Many Madridistas are concerned. They expected and overhaul. Instead their first eleven will be basically the same as last year with Hazard in it.

But I agree, it's a bit strange how similar that starting eleven looks like from season to season.

It will be very interesting to follow Real Madrid next season. Will those same key players have a renaissance or will the downward trend we have seen for the last couple of seasons continue? And will new players like Jovic and

I guess there's a chance of those players having a renaissance, but I don't think they'll be the same as a few seasons back.

Someone like Lewis Dunk would be good,or use Cahill as a free stopgap until January.

I don't think they'll try to get a midfielder now, with Ceballos, Torreira, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Özil, Willock (great talent) and Elneny all options. Not saying that the midfield doesn't need strengthening, but I think they will and should concentrate on CB's.

Leno
    Bellerín (Maitland-Niles) - Sokratis - Holding (Mustafi/Chambers) - Kolašinac (Monreal)
    Özil
    Lacazette

Leno is #1 now that Čech is retired, Bellerín will play a lot when he's back; in the meantime Maitland-Niles will be able to take that spot (he's also an option in midfield), Sokratis is the senior CB and will be a sure starter, with Holding likely to start alongside him when fit (Mustafi and Chambers likely to play too).

I can't see how the midfield will look like. Ceballos is promised playing time, but I don't know who will play alongside him; Xhaka or Torreira (or both?). Özil will probably play behind a front three of sorts, where Aubameyang and Lacazette hopefully will play together, with Pépé/Mkhitaryan.

I wouldn't play Ceballos in central midfield. He is more effective with more attacking freedom.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ceballos getting some attacking freedom (much like Ramsey did), but I can't see who they'll drop to give him that freedom; Özil?

I have a feeling Özil will play a lot this season. An Arsenal podcast I follow pointed out that the tone between him and Emery have been better this pre-season than under last season.

I guess the upcoming game against Barca on Sunday will be a bit telling as far as preferred lineup goes. Do you know any good sites that shows Barca pre-season games, @jobo? Finding places to watch Arsenal friendlies have been a nightmare; TV2 have aired friendlies of most PL teams this summer, but not Arsenal.

Leno
    Özil
    Lacazette

I have a feeling Özil will play a lot this season. An Arsenal podcast I follow pointed out that the tone between him and Emery have been better this pre-season than under last season.

I guess the upcoming game against Barca on Sunday will be a bit telling as far as preferred lineup goes. Do you know any good sites that shows Barca pre-season games, @jobo? Finding places to watch Arsenal friendlies have been a nightmare; TV2 have aired friendlies of most PL teams this summer, but not Arsenal.

Too be honest, no. I am not that bothered with watching pre season friendlies usually. They are mostly low intensity, tedius affairs. But I do know that Barca TV airs all of Barca's friendlies this summer, so you can try that.

Leno
    Özil
    Lacazette

Too be honest, no. I am not that bothered with watching pre season friendlies usually. They are mostly low intensity, tedius affairs. But I do know that Barca TV airs all of Barca's friendlies this summer, so you can try that.

Is Barca TV free by any chance? :-)

I've seen a few friendlies this summer. Some have been low intensity games for sure, while others have actually been quite decent, with good intensity throughout.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Wow my Local boys Luton Town played fantastic in their first game back in the Championship,against one of the favourites and arguably the best defence in the league still, Middlesbrough, finishing 3-3.
    Our home record of being unbeaten here since early 2018 goes on .

So proud ,a brilliant point !

Look out Championship,the Mad Hatters have arrived !!
    Wow my Local boys Luton Town played fantastic in their first game back in the Championship,against one of the favourites and arguably the best defence in the league still, Middlesbrough, finishing 3-3.

Damn, forgot the Championship started tonight!

Hahahahahaha, WHAT????!! :))

No way ....we don’t need another Ozil x ain’t gonna happen !!
    If you can watch the match Torg @Torgeirtrap , watchbmy Luton boys x brilliant stuff for a first game back against one of the favourites n best defence !
    If you can watch the match Torg @Torgeirtrap , watchbmy Luton boys x brilliant stuff for a first game back against one of the favourites n best defence !

The game's finished now, right? Depending on the games that's picked to air over here, I'll get the opportunity to watch some Luton games. Will make sure to give them a watch!

No way ....we don’t need another Ozil x ain’t gonna happen !!

Head of Football at Arsenal, Raul Sanllehi, was previously at Barca. I wonder… :-?

Smokescreen rumour perhaps?
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    Omg...he just can't. It'll be like your long lost puppy being found in 2 dollar pole dancing club working for 1 dollar a dance.
    Omg...he just can't. It'll be like your long lost puppy being found in 2 dollar pole dancing club working for 1 dollar a dance.

Hmm an Arsenal hater I’ve noticed over the last few weeks.
    Who do you support ? You are European by any chance ?

Nobody hates Arsenal as much as us Arsenal fans, @barryt007! We know how bad the club is! :))
    edited August 2019 Posts: 222

not a hater at all sir. just a concerned knitting fan who is willing the former knitting champions to get their game together. we can't let the walsall ladies over 90s knitting champs overtake you. arsenal have a long great history of cross-stiching, scarf making and sock darning...they need to honor this proud tradition.

not a hater at all sir. just a concerned knitting fan who is willing the former knitting champions to get their game together. we can't let the walsall ladies over 90s knitting champs overtake you. arsenal have a long great history of cross-stiching, scarf making and sock darning...they need to honor this proud tradition.

Yep... I’ve dealt with joke attacking fans like you before...it’s sad that u need to do this really but welcome to the forum ,We get lots of trolls.

Yep... I’ve dealt with joke attacking fans like you before...it’s sad that u need to do this really but welcome to the forum ,We get lots of trolls.

a bit of light heartedness to warm up my sad soul. PC was a fav of mine at Liverpool, just a tad upset that Liverpool don't seem to want him back. I've nothing but respect for Arsenal as they are a 'proper football club' with traditions that are worthy of former champions. Thank you for the welcome anyway.
    You have to at least respect Arsenal to survive on this thread. Based on the content during the last couple of months, it should be renamed the Arsenal thread... ;)

a bit of light heartedness to warm up my sad soul. PC was a fav of mine at Liverpool, just a tad upset that Liverpool don't seem to want him back. I've nothing but respect for Arsenal as they are a 'proper football club' with traditions that are worthy of former champions. Thank you for the welcome anyway.

In that case I apologise,I got it wrong,and welcome indeed to our mad family haha !
    You have to at least respect Arsenal to survive on this thread. Based on the content during the last couple of months, it should be renamed the Arsenal thread... ;)

Bog off to Barca @jobo ;)

Oh, I don't mind. I just whonder where the other fans are..

knitting. ;)

knitting. ;)

You have an interesting sense of humor, Conrad, I give you that...

knitting. ;)

Haha yep ...or eating prawn sandwiches if they are Man Utd fans.
    Oh and the one Tottenham Hotsperms supporter is sunbathing in the North Pole .
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

knitting. ;)

I picked up a prawn sandwich when I finished work this morning funnily enough, it was good

knitting. ;)

I picked up a prawn sandwich when I finished work this morning funnily enough, it was good

Funny old life !!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

knitting. ;)

Funny old life !!

Indeed, though I do like seafood

You're always welcome to share Barca content on here, @jobo ;-)

Malcom just got sold to Zenit Saint Petersburg, I see. An expected transfer out?
    Would UTD 'numbers' guys give a rank amateur of a manager all this money to play with? Are they buying in players for a waiting-in-the-wings manager? I think there's a former Italian Chelsea manager that's going to be UTD manager by January...

knitting. ;)

Funny old life !!

Indeed, though I do like seafood

I do too !

Malcom just got sold to Zenit Saint Petersburg, I see. An expected transfer out?

Yes. They were planning to sell him this summer. With Griezmann and possibly Neymar coming in at least one attacker had to go, and he was the obvious choice. Valverde nevet showed real faith in him to begin with, undeservedly according to many. But he was never going to be more than a bench player at best this season anyway, and the club needs to be able to sell with reasonable profit for once...

The board is hopefull they will be able to get serious money for Coutinho as well. Remains to be seen if that is plausible or not. They are also willing to move on Rakitic if a reasonable offer comes in.

Yes. They were planning to sell him this summer. With Griezmann and possibly Neymar coming in at least one attacker had to go, and he was the obvious choice. Valverde nevet showed real faith in him to begin with, undeservedly according to many. But he was never going to be more than a bench player at best this season anyway, and the club needs to be able to sell with reasonable profit for once...

The board is hopefull they will be able to get serious money for Coutinho as well. Remains to be seen if that is plausible or not. They are also willing to move on Rakitic if a reasonable offer comes in.

I see. Do you think there's anything to the Neymar rumours?

I bet the price tag on Coutinho will scare away a lot of clubs; he can't go cheap. Even the loan price that's been reported, is apparently very high.

Rakitić has been rumoured to United, I think.