"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited July 2019 Posts: 17,335

This would be an interesting transfer for United.

Did you see the match tonight?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Yeah Ole son played

Dybala is the kind of creative forward we need

Yeah Ole son played

Didn't see the match myself. How did they play? I must admit I expected a different result than a one-goal win…

A creative forward can make a huge difference. Never seen much of Dybala, but I understand he's very good.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Yeah Ole son played

Didn't see the match myself. How did they play? I must admit I expected a different result than a one-goal win…

A creative forward can make a huge difference. Never seen much of Dybala, but I understand he's very god.

The game was an odd one, felt like it was more for Ole benefit. United had several narrow misses so could have easily been four or five. The Norwegian side had a header go wide they should have scored

Yeah Ole son played

A creative forward can make a huge difference. Never seen much of Dybala, but I understand he's very god.

The game was an odd one, felt like it was more for Ole benefit. United had several narrow misses so could have easily been four or five. The Norwegian side had a header go wide they should have scored

It probably was for his benefit, as he's from Kristiansund (the town in which the Norwegian side is from). United are very popular over here too, so that was another factor I guess.

Great result for Kristiansund by the looks of it, given the opposition.

Yeah Ole son played

It probably was for his benefit, as he's from Kristiansund (the town in which the Norwegian side is from). United are very popular over here too, so that was another factor I guess.

The penalty was after 90 minutes so could have easily finished as a draw, there was a good crowd makes sense now you mention Ole home coming (I did not watch the build up)

Yeah Ole son played

The penalty was after 90 minutes so could have easily finished as a draw, there was a good crowd makes sense now you mention Ole home coming (I did not watch the build up)

Didn't know United won the game on a late penalty; I guess Christian Michelsen and Kristiansund are a bit annoyed they didn't get a draw!

Kristiansund and the other Eliteserien teams are mid-season now, by the way (Kristiansund currently 7th).

Yeah Ole son played

Didn't know United won the game on a late penalty; I guess Christian Michelsen and Kristiansund are a bit annoyed they didn't get a draw!

Kristiansund and the other Eliteserien teams are mid-season now, by the way (Kristiansund currently 7th).

It's never a bad thing to play a team that's already well into there league season, heard Eric Bailey is out for five months so we desperately need Mcguire now

Yeah Ole son played

It's never a bad thing to play a team that's already well into there league season, heard Eric Bailey is out for five months so we desperately need Mcguire now

Do you think United will get a deal for Maguire over the line?

Yeah Ole son played

Its going to go to the wire Leicester wont budge on 90 million it would seem, Maguire has to try to force the move IMO. Maguire did not train the other day

Yeah Ole son played

Its going to go to the wire Leicester wont budge on 90 million it would seem, Maguire has to try to force the move IMO. Maguire did not train the other day

90 million? That's crazy! :-O

No wonder why Arsenal struggle to sign defenders…
    edited July 2019 Posts: 23,530

Yeah Ole son played

I read a story that says Maguire has something in his contract that allows a Champions League side to pay 75 million for him, not being in the CL United would have to pay an additional 15 million. Not sure how much truth is in that, one thing is for sure Brendan Rodgers won't do us any favours and Leicester know they are in a strong position

Yeah Ole son played

I read a story that says Maguire has something in his contract that allows a Champions League side to pay 75 million for him, not being in the CL United would have to pay an additional 15 million. Not sure how much truth is in that, one thing is for sure Brendan Rodgers won't do us any favours and Leicester know they are in a strong position

Strong position indeed. Seems like a cleverly written contract too; Leicester most likely knew that other clubs would be looking to sign him in this transfer window.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 17,335

The happiness of a new signing…

giphy.gif
    Then thinking about the fact that the club hasn't addressed the defence yet…

giphy.gif
    Hahaha my feelings exactly Torg @Torgeirtrap !!!
    Can he play centre back?
    Sky Sports are certainly excited by the signing of Pepe
    barryt007 wrote: »

Every Arsenal fan feels the same, I guess!
    vzok wrote: »
    Can he play centre back?

Can any winger…?

So is Ian Wright :))
    EA5VRehXoAESK_v.jpg

I just hope Pépé is ready to play against Newcastle.

Can he play centre back?

Can any winger…?

EA5VRehXoAESK_v.jpg

According to Sky Sports Arsenal has an attack to rival Liverpool now

Can he play centre back?

Can any winger…?

EA5VRehXoAESK_v.jpg

Certainly wouldn't go that far, comparing it to the trio of Mané, Salah and Firmino. However, it does seem that Pépé ticks the boxes of what's missing in the Arsenal attack.

What's left, is a van Dijk like signing – or three…
    edited August 2019 Posts: 23,530

Can he play centre back?

Can any winger…?

EA5VRehXoAESK_v.jpg

Certainly wouldn't go that far, comparing it to the trio of Mané, Salah and Firmino. However, it does seem that Pépé ticks the boxes of what's missing in the Arsenal attack.

Sky Sports are terrible they get worse every year around the transfer window, Joking aside Pepe stats are impressive from last season

Can he play centre back?

Can any winger…?

EA5VRehXoAESK_v.jpg

Sky Sports are terrible they get worse every year around the transfer window, Joking aside Pepe stats are impressive from last season

The stats certainly look good. Several of his goals were penalties, so that's worth keeping in mind.
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground

Can he play centre back?

Can any winger…?

EA5VRehXoAESK_v.jpg

The stats certainly look good. Several of his goals were penalties, so that's worth keeping in mind.

Are they going for the classic Keegan/Newcastle strategy - of outscoring the opposition and forget defending?

top 4 predictions and Arse aren't in it.

1. Liverpool
    2. Chelsea.
    3. Man City
    4. Leicester/Wolves

Can he play centre back?

Can any winger…?

EA5VRehXoAESK_v.jpg

Are they going for the classic Keegan/Newcastle strategy - of outscoring the opposition and forget defending?

They won't afford a decent CB anyway in the current market, and that deal for Pépé looks to be paid in manageable instalments – and they needed a winger.

My prediction is they'll do with what they have, and hope Holding and Bellerín are back soon.
    top 4 predictions and Arse aren't in it.

1. Liverpool
    2. Chelsea.
    3. Man City
    4. Leicester/Wolves

Regardless of the Pépé signing, I don't have high hopes for Arsenal. I'm going to do a season prediction when the transfer window closes I think, but Arsenal won't be top six.

Pretty sure City will win it again this season.
    We still need a midfielder and 2 CB's.

Someone like Lewis Dunk would be good,or use Cahill as a free stopgap until January.

Someone like Lewis Dunk would be good,or use Cahill as a free stopgap until January.

I don't think they'll try to get a midfielder now, with Ceballos, Torreira, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Özil, Willock (great talent) and Elneny all options. Not saying that the midfield doesn't need strengthening, but I think they will and should concentrate on CB's.

I wonder if this will be Arsenal's regular starting eleven this season:

Leno
    Bellerín (Maitland-Niles) - Sokratis - Holding (Mustafi/Chambers) - Kolašinac (Monreal)
    Ceballos (Guendouzi) - Xhaka (Torreira)
    Özil
    Pépé (Mkhitaryan) - Aubameyang (Iwobi)
    Lacazette

Leno is #1 now that Čech is retired, Bellerín will play a lot when he's back; in the meantime Maitland-Niles will be able to take that spot (he's also an option in midfield), Sokratis is the senior CB and will be a sure starter, with Holding likely to start alongside him when fit (Mustafi and Chambers likely to play too).

I can't see how the midfield will look like. Ceballos is promised playing time, but I don't know who will play alongside him; Xhaka or Torreira (or both?). Özil will probably play behind a front three of sorts, where Aubameyang and Lacazette hopefully will play together, with Pépé/Mkhitaryan.
    jobo wrote: »
    The thing is that Zidane has not really wanted to ship out players. With the exception of Bale and James, he is basically putting his faith in the same aging group of players he had last time around. Many Madridistas are concerned. They expected and overhaul. Instead their first eleven will be basically the same as last year with Hazard in it.

That's why I added "if he wants to" ;-)
    But I agree, it's a bit strange how similar that starting eleven looks like from season to season.

It will be very interesting to follow Real Madrid next season. Will those same key players have a renaissance or will the downward trend we have seen for the last couple of seasons continue? And will new players like Jovic and

I don't think they'll try to get a midfielder now, with Ceballos, Torreira, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Özil, Willock (great talent) and Elneny all options. Not saying that the midfield doesn't need strengthening, but I think they will and should concentrate on CB's.

Leno
    Bellerín (Maitland-Niles) - Sokratis - Holding (Mustafi/Chambers) - Kolašinac (Monreal)
    Özil
    Lacazette

Leno is #1 now that Čech is retired, Bellerín will play a lot when he's back; in the meantime Maitland-Niles will be able to take that spot (he's also an option in midfield), Sokratis is the senior CB and will be a sure starter, with Holding likely to start alongside him when fit (Mustafi and Chambers likely to play too).

I can't see how the midfield will look like. Ceballos is promised playing time, but I don't know who will play alongside him; Xhaka or Torreira (or both?). Özil will probably play behind a front three of sorts, where Aubameyang and Lacazette hopefully will play together, with Pépé/Mkhitaryan.

I wouldn't play Ceballos in central midfield. He is more effective with more attacking freedom.
    The thing is that Zidane has not really wanted to ship out players. With the exception of Bale and James, he is basically putting his faith in the same aging group of players he had last time around. Many Madridistas are concerned. They expected and overhaul. Instead their first eleven will be basically the same as last year with Hazard in it.

But I agree, it's a bit strange how similar that starting eleven looks like from season to season.

It will be very interesting to follow Real Madrid next season. Will those same key players have a renaissance or will the downward trend we have seen for the last couple of seasons continue? And will new players like Jovic and

I guess there's a chance of those players having a renaissance, but I don't think they'll be the same as a few seasons back.

Leno
    Özil
    Lacazette

I wouldn't play Ceballos in central midfield. He is more effective with more attacking freedom.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ceballos getting some attacking freedom (much like Ramsey did), but I can't see who they'll drop to give him that freedom; Özil?

I guess there's a chance of those players having a renaissance, but I don't think they'll be the same as a few seasons back.

Leno
    Özil
    Lacazette

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ceballos getting some attacking freedom (much like Ramsey did), but I can't see who they'll drop to give him that freedom; Özil?

It will probably have to be Özil. He never tracks back...