"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited July 2019 Posts: 17,293

Laurent Koscielny has refused to travel to the US for our pre-season tour.

We are very disappointed by Laurent’s actions, which are against our clear instructions.

We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time.

Aiming for a move, by the looks of it.
    Yeah I just saw this...not very professional considering Arsenal have stood by him with all his injuries.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Yeah I just saw this...not very professional considering Arsenal have stood by him with all his injuries.

Indeed, it's very disappointing. I read some weeks ago he has an offer from or is in talks with a French club, so in a way it's not that surprising, but still. He's the captain and all.

Worst thing is, if Arsenal are aiming at keeping him for this upcoming season and he wants a move away – potentially leading to him being sold – Arsenal have another spot in the starting eleven to address in the transfer window. Knowing Arsenal, they are unlikely to do so, making that defence look even worse when the season starts.

Also have in mind that Bellerín and Holding are out injured. That leaves Arsenal with Mustafi, Sokratis, Monreal, Kolašinac, Maitland Niles and Chambers potentially – as well as U23 options. I can't see a defence like that managing top four.
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground

Arsenal are a laughing stock. I feel sorry for the fans. Whoever is running the club is killing their values. Arsenal are a great club with a global follwing. These players should have a bit more respect for the bigger picture. Agents have too much power and are holding clubs to ransom. In some ways Spurs don't bow down to this type of negotiation and do make a stand. I'll be tuning in to AFTV to see their special reaction. lol.
    Arsenal will continue to be a laughing stock as long as the Kroenke's are running the show. They don't invest in the club unlike the other owners, and Arsenal are left with whatever they can generate by themselves – which makes to a transfer budget of a bottom half team.

Example: Newly promoted Aston Villa have signed Wesley Moraes from Club Brugge in a transfer worth £22m, Matt Target from Soton for £15m, as well as Jota from Birmingham (undisclosed fee), and permanent deals for loan players Anwar El Ghazi and Kortney Hause. Meanwhile Arsenal are sweating over a transfer for Kieran Tierney from Celtic…
    Bottom half is where we will end up unless something amazing happens,which it wont.
    We cant even afford Zaha.

It's embarrassing....i'm dreading this season.
    Bottom half is where we will end up unless something amazing happens,which it wont.

Newcastle will provide some comfort. lol.

I expect Arsenal to finish anywhere between 6th and 9th myself. Wolves, Leicester and Everton will all look stronger by the time the season starts.

Newcastle will provide some comfort. lol.

With a new manager and a point to prove,it wouldn't surprise me if we lost that one as well !!

I expect Arsenal to finish anywhere between 6th and 9th myself. Wolves, Leicester and Everton will all look stronger by the time the season starts.

If i'm honest,i think 7th or 8th if we are lucky.

40m plus 3 players now being offered to CP
    vzok wrote: »

40m plus 3 players now being offered to CP

Really ? do you know who the 3 players are ? Hopefully one is Ozil,getting off the wage bill !!
    Elneny, Chambers, Jenkinson
    Elneny, Chambers, Jenkinson

Hmmm...I don't think Palace will go for those 3 plus £40m.
    They need a right back.

Yeah, 6th is a stretch by this point.

Now he wants to buy out his contract.
    The season is falling apart before it even starts.

Now he wants to buy out his contract.

Hope they let him do so and be done with it. He clearly doesn't want to play for the club ever again (not that I blame him for that).
    The season is falling apart before it even starts.

Yes, the transfer window isn't long enough to sort out this additional situation. The club is a joke.
    He must be best friends with Pogba? Disgraceful behaviour.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    He must be best friends with Pogba? Disgraceful behaviour.

To be honest, as club Captain he knows the responsibilites of what that entails. Has a gentlemen's agreement with the club not been honored. I feel this is right. Two french clubs have asked about his availability and they've been turned down...

Refusing to tour and play is strong stuff, so maybe he's the one who has been treated badly?

And to be fair, Pogba has gone to Australia with UTD on a tour, no doubt to further cement his social media king status, oh and kick a ball for a few mins.
    David Ornstein on Koscielny:
    Koscielny is understood to have become increasingly discontent since his return in December from an Achilles injury, primarily over the management of his playing schedule and the direction in which he feels the team and club are moving.

While Koscielny was optimistic that Champions League qualification could lead to a better future for both parties, missing out exacerbated his misgivings and led him to decide the time had come to move back to France.

Koscielny told Emery in a face to face meeting on Wednesday morning that he would not be joining the team on their pre-season tour to the USA, the Spaniard was furious.

Given that head coach Unai Emery was happy with Koscielny's performance and already faces other issues in central defence, the view was that he could only go if a bid landed that reflected his value and importance to #AFC

Koscielny argues that #AFC are reneging on an agreement that would allow him exit as a free agent during the current transfer window, something the Gunners strenuously deny.

What do you make of this, @barryt007?

Spamming the thread with Arsenal news here now (sorry everyone!), but Arsenal have appointed former player John "Faxe" Jensen as the club’s chief scout for Scandinavia.

That makes for yet another former player appointment, with Edu now the new technical director and Freddie Ljungberg one of Emery's assistant coaches. What could this mean? It might be nothing to it, but are they preparing for a for a former player to become a future manager? I wouldn't rule out that possibility.
    Koscielny is understood to have become increasingly discontent since his return in December from an Achilles injury, primarily over the management of his playing schedule and the direction in which he feels the team and club are moving.

While Koscielny was optimistic that Champions League qualification could lead to a better future for both parties, missing out exacerbated his misgivings and led him to decide the time had come to move back to France.

Koscielny told Emery in a face to face meeting on Wednesday morning that he would not be joining the team on their pre-season tour to the USA, the Spaniard was furious.

Given that head coach Unai Emery was happy with Koscielny's performance and already faces other issues in central defence, the view was that he could only go if a bid landed that reflected his value and importance to #AFC

Koscielny argues that #AFC are reneging on an agreement that would allow him exit as a free agent during the current transfer window, something the Gunners strenuously deny.

Spamming the thread with Arsenal news here now (sorry everyone!), but Arsenal have appointed former player John "Faxe" Jensen as the club’s chief scout for Scandinavia.

That makes for yet another former player appointment, with Edu now the new technical director and Freddie Ljungberg one of Emery's assistant coaches. What could this mean? It might be nothing to it, but are they preparing for a for a former player to become a future manager? I wouldn't rule out that possibility.

What a mess.
    I can understand Lauren's feeling about where the club is heading and its time to get out ,and this agreement situation is a bit baffling,but he has to realise he is 33 and injury prone.
    And no French club has actually come in with a bid,so maybe Bordeaux etc are not as keen as he thinks.

What a mess.
    I can understand Lauren's feeling about where the club is heading and its time to get out ,and this agreement situation is a bit baffling,but he has to realise he is 33 and injury prone.
    And no French club has actually come in with a bid,so maybe Bordeaux etc are not as keen as he thinks.

I think there were two clubs eying him. I don't think he'd be acting like this without interest from France. They should just find a solution that everybody can be alright with. He can't play for the club again now, can he…?
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 19,339

What a mess.

I think there were two clubs eying him. I don't think he'd be acting like this without interest from France. They should just find a solution that everybody can be alright with. He can't play for the club again now, can he…?

No,he would be a liability on the pitch in such an important role as captain,and an important CB position.
    We need to stop looking at bloody wingers and concentrate on that defence re signings !!

What a mess.

No,he would be a liability on the pitch in such an important role as captain,and an important CB position.
    We need to stop looking at bloody wingers and concentrate on that defence re signings !!

I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal ends up giving him a pay rise, just so that they could focus on the winger position instead…

I'd rather see them signing a couple of starting eleven CB's, and let Mkhitaryan, Iwobi and Reiss Nelson do the job out wide. They need to find a Ramsey replacement too.
    According to Sky Sports News, Arsenal are to open legal proceedings against koscielny.
    This looks like turning nasty.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited July 2019 Posts: 1,699
    Newly promoted Aston Villa have signed Wesley Moraes from Club Brugge in a transfer worth £22m, Matt Target from Soton for £15m, as well as Jota from Birmingham (undisclosed fee), and permanent deals for loan players Anwar El Ghazi and Kortney Hause. Meanwhile Arsenal are sweating over a transfer for Kieran Tierney from Celtic…

Haha, yes.

Good to see The Villa making what - hopefully will prove to be sensible - signings and ensuring their best (and essential?) loan players become permanent. Hopes will be tempered at Villa Park this season (as are mine!), but there will definitely be hopes. After so long being firm fixtures of the top flight, it'll be an interesting experience as a promoted club. The last time it happened, they finished runners-up the following season - somehow I don't think things'll pan out that way this time (frankly, not going straight back down has to be the simple aim)!

As for the Koscielny drama, it's farcical, for sure. But things haven't been right at Arsenal (just on the pitch) for 10 or so years now. Club captain he may be, yet he's hardly an essential cog - for every decent performance he turns in, the next two are awful, which basically encapsulates the problems Arsenal have had at the back for years and years.

And, of course, happy retirement, Crouchy! Oh, but the memories... an all-too-rare but true English football folk hero of the modern era - you'll find his podcast great fun (and insightful), if you're yet dip into it. :)

uVl0FBA.gif
    According to Sky Sports News, Arsenal are to open legal proceedings against koscielny.
    This looks like turning nasty.

Oh my…

@St_George It will be interesting to see how Villa will do this season. I won't expect much, but they might do enough to not be relegated. Seems like they've done alright in the transfer window so far at least.

As for Koscielny, he's not essential, but they're much worse off without him as an option – and he's not the worst of the CB's either, despite his age an occasional mistakes. What worries me most is that this situation causes an additional issue for Emery & Co on the transfer market. I won't be surprised to see them not strengthening the defence at all.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I won't be surprised to see them not strengthening the defence at all.

Their problem has always been that, at the elite level (which is where they've aimed for in the last decade but, let's face it, haven't reached), quality defenders are thin on the ground and, therefore, very expensive. They simple haven't had the cash to splash around to compete in that limited marketplace. So, they haven't been able to replace the top-quality homegrown/ home-nurtured English defenders that formed their legendary backlines of the late '80s/ '90s (and the likes of Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole) when they retired, one after another, during the '00s.
    St_George wrote: »
    I won't be surprised to see them not strengthening the defence at all.

Their problem has always been that, at the elite level (which is where they've aimed for in the last decade but, let's face it, haven't reached), quality defenders are thin on the ground and, therefore, very expensive. They simple haven't had the cash to splash around to compete in that limited marketplace. So, they haven't been able to replace the top-quality homegrown/ home-nurtured English defenders that formed their legendary backlines of the late '80s/ '90s (and the likes of Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole) when they retired, one after another, during the '00s.

That's the never-ending issue for Arsenal; the budget. We know that won't be addressed at any point, so they'll need to find talent – an area where they haven't been at the top of their game either. There are a few interesting youngsters that have been promoted to the first team before this season, but none of them are defenders.