"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

I'm not sure I rate Arteta as a full time manager with a club,he is still unproved to me.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,293
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I rate Arteta as a full time manager with a club,he is still unproved to me.

That's a valid point for sure, but seeing as he was likely one of the candidates for the job last year, it isn't unlikely that Vieira (who has managerial experience) and Ljungberg could be considered. There are rumours linking Arteta to the Newcastle job too, apparently.
    Least surprising managerial appointment of the season confirmed:

I can imagine him doing well with the youngsters in that Chelsea squad.
    Disaster waiting to happen x silly boy,should have stayed at Derby.

Don't think they had that many options to explore, to be honest. With the transfer ban it was probably best to look at someone with a background in the club. Like I wrote yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal go down the same route should they fail to reach their goals this season.

Oh how things have changed (£6m!)…

Still one of the best to ever play for the club. Wonder what Arsenal would have to pay if he was a transfer target in 2019? £30-50m – or maybe even more?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Super Frank!
    Super Frank!
    Super Frank!
    The legend returns

Is that wishful thinking?

Ayoze Pérez to Leicester. He had a good season at Newcastle, and he can surely get an even better season now alongside Maddison, Vardy etc.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    vzok wrote: »

Whilst Frank is relatively new to managing clubs, he is a former player. From only a few years ago. He can hopefully get the respect of the players, and has a real heart for Chelsea. He's a Blues legend.
    I can see why people would be sceptical, and they could be right. But I think (and hope) he could be just what Chelsea need. Time will tell.
    vzok wrote: »

It’s foresight
    Least surprising managerial appointment of the season confirmed:

I can imagine him doing well with the youngsters in that Chelsea squad.

I think he could have done with having another season at Derby personally.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited July 2019 Posts: 1,699

Ayoze Pérez to Leicester. He had a good season at Newcastle, and he can surely get an even better season now alongside Maddison, Vardy etc.

Interesting. Potentially good signing. Leicester fans may well be licking their lips, I'd imagine.

As for Lampard, I'm far from a fan of Chelski, but I wish him well. A thorough professional and a decent bloke, it seems. Showed talent and ability as a coach at Derby; I don't doubt he has genuine man-management skills, in the manner of Southgate or Phil Neville.

And, as for Emery, Arsenal should definitely stick by him, I'd say; he's clearly a top coach. As ever there, though, it's the same old thing - the manager needs to be backed by money. A lot of it (primarily, for much better defenders). Otherwise, it probably won't make much difference how much time he's given.
    St_George wrote: »

Interesting. Potentially good signing. Leicester fans may well be licking their lips, I'd imagine.

Can definitely see how Ayoze Pérez might be a good fit for Leicester. If they get a permanent deal for Youri Tielemans, they will compete for top six.

As for Lampard, I'm far from a fan of Chelski, but I wish him well. A thorough professional and a decent bloke, it seems. Showed talent and ability as a coach at Derby; I don't doubt he has genuine man-management skills, in the manner of Southgate or Phil Neville.

Wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea have a decent season even without Hazard. Man-management skills is probably what that squad needs.
    And, as for Emery, Arsenal should definitely stick by him, I'd say; he's clearly a top coach. As ever there, though, it's the same old thing - the manager needs to be backed by money. A lot of it (primarily, for much better defenders). Otherwise, it probably won't make much difference how much time he's given.

He won't be backed in the transfer market, that's the issue. The Kroenke's won't invest in new players, and the club is left with the EL money they've gained and whatever they can generate themselves. Pocket money compared to the other top six sides.

My prediction is that Emery leaves once his contract is up next summer after not getting the promises he probably was given once he signed. By the 2020/21 season starts, we'll see a former player turned manager/head coach take charge of the team, as he'll have other motivations for representing the club from the sideline. If this happens, we'll probably also see Arsenal shift towards promoting from the youth squads more than looking elsewhere to strengthen the team. That might work out, but Arsenal must already now look at the teams behind them rather than those in front. I can see Wolves finish above them this season.

Re. Phil Neville, you have to laugh a bit at this:

Congrats to the USA ladies team on their 4th World Cup trophy. =D>
    It's been a brilliant World Cup. Many exciting games, and lot's of (VAR) drama. The most important thing is that this can only benefit the future of women's football.

Surprised he didn't stay in the Premier League? But? As always money talks!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Surprised he didn't stay in the Premier League? But? As always money talks!

Certainly does! The transfer looks to have been made at £22.4m (€25m), according to Sky.
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    Costa to Everton???? If I were Klopp I'd bring him in and make him plan B, which Liverpool need, plus he's a winner.
    Costa to Everton???? If I were Klopp I'd bring him in and make him plan B, which Liverpool need, plus he's a winner.

Diego Costa that is? Now, there's a player I both absolutely love watching, and at the same time hate a bit. He can be a nasty one, but at the same time I dig his intensity. The sort of player you'd love to have in the squad of your team, rather than watch playing against them.

Diego Costa that is? Now, there's a player I both absolutely love watching, and at the same time hate a bit. He can be a nasty one, but at the same time I dig his intensity. The sort of player you'd love to have in the squad of your team, rather than watch playing against them.

He is a pain in the arse,but an entertaining pain in the arse.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 7,500

He is getting old now. This season with Atlético was not good from him.

Indeed! I remember that time Rob Holding called him "a nutter". Reminds me how much Arsenal need a fit Holding back as soon as possible.
    jobo wrote: »

I guess he can still do a job for Everton.

Indeed! I remember that time Rob Holding called him "a nutter". Reminds me how much Arsenal need a fit Holding back as soon as possible.

I guess so too. I don't think he is a good fit for Klopp and Liverpool though

I guess so too. I don't think he is a good fit for Klopp and Liverpool though

No, he'll be much more suitable at Everton, IMO.
    He will fit in there a lot easier, and will get more game time for sure.
    Ex-Gooner Edu has been named our new Technical Director - interesting appointment.
    He had a lot of technical ability on the ball in the old days,for sure.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 7,500
    Meanwhile at Barcelona there is full mayhem. Apparently the plan is to buy both Griezmann and Neymar... which would not be financialy sustainable, however this board of nitwits might be desperate enough to go through with it anyhow. Both purchases are proving to be very controversial and complicated.

I miss the old days.
    Meanwhile at Barcelona there is full mayhem. Apparently the plan is to buy both Griezmann and Neymar... which would not be financialy sustainable, however this board of nitwits might be desperate enough to go through with it anyhow. Both purchases are proving to be very controversial and complicated.

I miss the old days.

Neymar is so over-rated and only plays for himself,he could upset the dressing room.

I miss the old days.

Neymar is so over-rated and only plays for himself,he could upset the dressing room.

In terms of ability I think he is actually, on the contrary, quite underrated in circles. Many people seem to let emotion get in the way, and forget what an absolutely stunningly good footballer he is! On his day he is unplayable.

Obviously though, his service comes with a baggage. You never know when he will spend the day sulking and diving instead of playing. And you never know what nonsense he will do outside the pitch... Somehow I think Messi's presence benifited him. It is probably not a coincidence that he played his best football at Barca, and that his career has faced a setback in Paris. As predicted by many, choosing to leave was a ridiculous mistake. He seems to have realized that now.
    Ex-Gooner Edu has been named our new Technical Director - interesting appointment.
    He had a lot of technical ability on the ball in the old days,for sure.

giphy.gif

Can't do worse than the previous setup, that's for sure!

Also, you know things are bad when a backroom appointment feels more or less as exciting as a player signing…

Know anything more about this, @jobo?