"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,690
    jobo wrote: »
    Thought I might share this here. Maybe some football fans know Goalie Ron-Robert Zieler, when he played for ManU and Leicester City.On Saturday I went to watch my club's Bundesliga home match against unbeaten Werder Bremen. Stuttgart was leading 1-0, when the following happened:

3446-Stuttgart-goalkeeper-Ron-Robert-Zieler-scores-embarrassing-own-goal

https://sport360.tv/en/video/3446-Stuttgart-goalkeeper-Ron-Robert-Zieler-scores-embarrassing-own-goal

Luckily for Zieler, Stuttgart dd score a second goal and won 2-1. I must say, I haven't seen such a own goal in more than 30 years...

That's a strange one I think the player who threw the ball is as much to blame.

No. He is not.

I think he is, its called an opinion
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Thought I might share this here. Maybe some football fans know Goalie Ron-Robert Zieler, when he played for ManU and Leicester City.On Saturday I went to watch my club's Bundesliga home match against unbeaten Werder Bremen. Stuttgart was leading 1-0, when the following happened:

3446-Stuttgart-goalkeeper-Ron-Robert-Zieler-scores-embarrassing-own-goal

https://sport360.tv/en/video/3446-Stuttgart-goalkeeper-Ron-Robert-Zieler-scores-embarrassing-own-goal

Luckily for Zieler, Stuttgart dd score a second goal and won 2-1. I must say, I haven't seen such a own goal in more than 30 years...

That's a strange one I think the player who threw the ball is as much to blame.

No. He is not.

I think he is, its called an opinion

Well, the player throwing the ball should have been aware that the keeper wasn't looking. And the keeper...well, he should have been looking.

Maybe the manager should bang their heads together after the game and say 'Concentrate, gentlemen, concentrate'. ;)
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,373
    Wow! Veteran defender and World Cup hero Andreas Granqvist apparently linked with a move to United!

http://www.fotbolldirekt.se/2018/10/02/avslojar-united-tittar-pa-andreas-granqvist-kan-kopiera-henke-losning-otroligt-smickrande/

It was a very fun match to watch.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    How'd United get on tonight?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 1,261

Interesting you should mention that you haven't seen such a own goal in more than 30 years. In 1988 Bjarte Flem did this!

Well, back in 1988 I did not watch Norwegian Football. I only started watching it on TV during the 1986 World Cup. And first time I went to watch a match live, was in 1988... And I've seen some own goals, but not that spectacular.

@NicNac: Ah yes, thanks for clearing that up.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just watched the United v Valencia game that's an hour and a half of my life I won't get back, bore draw.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Just watched the United v Valencia game that's an hour and a half of my life I won't get back, bore draw.

I'm so sorry for you.
    Another strange own goal after a throw in, and again, it is Werder Bremen capitalizing on it. Big difference: It was a throw in for Bremen, and the goalkeeper, Belgian Jean Marie Pfaff on his Bayern debut, not only slightly touched it, but really "cleared" it in his goal. That was 36 years ago.

Interesting you should mention that you haven't seen such a own goal in more than 30 years. In 1988 Bjarte Flem did this!

Well, back in 1988 I did not watch Norwegian Football.
    Didn't expect you would!
    I only started watching it on TV during the 1986 World Cup. And first time I went to watch a match live, was in 1988... And I've seen some own goals, but not that spectacular.

I think Bjarte Flem was considered as a good goalkeeper, but he's no doubt most remembered for that own goal. It's just incredible.

TV 2 reporter trying to reach Hugo Lloris level of drunkenness.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 7,506
    Wow. Barca look like a proper football team again! I was nervous going into this after what has been a dreadful week performance wise. But this was a commanding display. Arthur Melo should play every game!

Hope they don't fall asleep in the second half... as they do from time to time...
    Wow. Barca look like a proper football team again! I was nervous going into this after what has been a dreadful week performance wise. But this was a commanding display. Arthur Melo should play every game!

Hope they don't fall asleep in the second half... as they do from time to time...

It's Sp*rs they're playing! :))

The team that finished above Arsenal in the table... how many years in a row? ;)

The team that finished above Arsenal in the table... how many years in a row? ;)

Won't last! They'll "Sp*rs it up" eventually, with their new stadium soon ready, etc.

Also, Sp*rs have won what - two-three trophies the last 25 years? Arsenal have had bad seasons finishing below them, still winning the occasional cup throphy. :-)
    Been a pretty lacklustre round for the "best league in the world" one has to say...
    Been a pretty lacklustre round for the "best league in the world" one has to say...

As an Arsenal fan I only take joy in these two results! Nervous for tomorrow's match(es) though.

As an Arsenal fan I only take joy in these two results! Nervous for tomorrow's match(es) though.

That was likely it for Tottenham in the CL this year. I don't see them recover from this. Liverpool's group could be a thriller. The games between Napoli and PSG will be interesting. United can count themselves lucky that this looks to be a very stale version of Valencia. If it was the Valencia of last year, I would count them to qualify with Juventus. As of now I expect United will be the "least bad" team of the two.

That was likely it for Tottenham in the CL this year. I don't see them recover from this. Liverpool's group could be a thriller. The games between Napoli and PSG will be interesting. United can count themselves lucky that this looks to be a very stale version of Valencia. If it was the Valencia of last year, I would count them to qualify with Juventus. As of now I expect United will be the "least bad" team of the two.

Hopefully that's the last of Sp*rs in the CL! Arsenal shouldn't be the team having to focus on EL!

Liverpool's group is a thriller indeed. They didn't look dangerous at all tonight, so I wouldn't put money on them progressing through the groups just yet. United are fortunate with their group, no doubt about that.

Wow, just caught a glimse of Coutinho in the highlights. Are his teeth even whiter than Firmino's?

Cracking goal, the commentary was mad.

Cracking goal, the commentary was mad.

Yeah, what the hell was that, haha!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 1,261
    Hopefully that's the last of Sp*rs in the CL! Arsenal shouldn't be the team having to focus on EL!

That's why they did not win it and fielded a B team for the group stage. Only when it became clear they will not qualify for the Champion League via the Premier League, they started taking it seriously. ;) :D :P

Oh, and Rune Bratseth played for Werder Bremen in the late 80's.

That's why they did not win it and fielded a B team for the group stage. Only when it became clear they will not qualify for the Champion League via the Premier League, they started taking it seriously. ;) :D :P

Arsenal you mean? Fielding a B team in the group stages is only sensible in my opinion, if you don't have difficult fixtures. Looking forward to see what lineup Unai starts tonight. Expecting some rotation, but not too much.

Indeed he did. "Der Elch" is in the board at Rosenborg these days. Wonder who he wants as a permanent manager at the club after this season finishes.

Looks like Barcelona have got themselves a revised crest. Like the subtle changes in this one. What is @jobo 's thoughts on this?

Arsenal you mean? Fielding a B team in the group stages is only sensible in my opinion, if you don't have difficult fixtures. Looking forward to see what lineup Unai starts tonight. Expecting some rotation, but not too much.

Indeed he did. "Der Elch" is in the board at Rosenborg these days. Wonder who he wants as a permanent manager at the club after this season finishes.

Looks like Barcelona have got themselves a revised crest. Like the subtle changes in this one. What is @jobo 's thoughts on this?

Not a fan to be honest. Looks like the sort of cheap, computer generated copy of the proper crest you get on fake shirts. I might get used to it eventually, but it will take some time...

Not a fan to be honest. Looks like the sort of cheap, computer generated copy of the proper crest you get on fake shirts. I might get used to it eventually, but it will take some time...

Well, computers were in focus with this one. Here's a line from the firm who did the revised crest:
    This evolution is faithful to the historic elements in the crest and also makes it easier to reproduce, especially in the increasingly important digital media.

I know how bad some logos are in smaller sizes when presented digitally, so I can understand the changes completely! At least they didn't go down the Leeds route:
    Speaking of; I've always been a fan of the 70's shirts, and when Arsenal only used the cannon to represent the crest:

27b60e52c25ba9eee7690b10bed5300c.jpg 340px-Arsenal_Crest_1967-1977.svg.png

What do you think, @barryt007?
    3-0 win for Arsenal over Qarabağ after a decent performance. Qarabağ had their chances but didn't manage to get a goal. Worse for Rosenborg at home against RB Leipzig, losing 1-3. Damn that was a poor performance. Then again, what could you expect with a Rosenborg missing Bendtner, Meling and Adegbenro.

Rosenborg should just play a weakened team in the rest of the EL matches, secure the title and possibly win the cup, and focus on getting a permanent manager for next season.
    Speaking of; I've always been a fan of the 70's shirts, and when Arsenal only used the cannon to represent the crest:

27b60e52c25ba9eee7690b10bed5300c.jpg 340px-Arsenal_Crest_1967-1977.svg.png

What do you think, @barryt007?

Definitely !!

I also like this one :

arsenal_crest.jpg?itok=calQIekG