"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited September 2018 Posts: 17,378
    barryt007 wrote: »
    2-0; we'll take that, won't we @barryt007? :-D
    Interesting to see that Iwobi and Welbeck have played very well under Emery when given the chance - today no different. Emery must be doing something right.

We will Torg,my fellow Gooner.
    Emery ,like Pellegrini,has waited and used the time well.
    A win is a win,and he is checking the team out now,seeing who he likes or doesnt like,and might enter the transfer window in January just to boost the squad and sell a few 'out of contract ' players (NOT Rambo please !!)

Agree. Far from a perfect game this, but he's getting results while establishing Arsenal's new identity. Regarding Rambo:

It's interesting if this is true (Ornstein is the most reliable of the journalists covering Arsenal) – Emery might already have someone in mind if Ramsey leaves?

Thats what im thinking,Emery wouldnt let him go unless he had someone he thinks is better lined up.
    They will need to be good ,Rambo is a dedicated player and only 27.

The interesting thing today, was that Arsenal played better after Rambo was subbed, IMO. If the contract is no longer on offer, they might be looking for a player who can provide a better balance.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Interesting to see that Iwobi and Welbeck have played very well under Emery when given the chance - today no different. Emery must be doing something right.

A win is a win,and he is checking the team out now,seeing who he likes or doesnt like,and might enter the transfer window in January just to boost the squad and sell a few 'out of contract ' players (NOT Rambo please !!)

Agree. Far from a perfect game this, but he's getting results while establishing Arsenal's new identity. Regarding Rambo:

It's interesting if this is true (Ornstein is the most reliable of the journalists covering Arsenal) – Emery might already have someone in mind if Ramsey leaves?

Thats what im thinking,Emery wouldnt let him go unless he had someone he thinks is better lined up.

The interesting thing today, was that Arsenal played better after Rambo was subbed, IMO. If the contract is no longer on offer, they might be looking for a player who can provide a better balance.

Apparently Zizou is learning English in preparation.

Will be interesting to see what happens re. United in the coming weeks.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

The Rot has set in at this point any manager would give the team a lift, lost dressing rooms need new leadership.

The Rot has set in at this point any manager would give the team a lift, lost dressing rooms need new leadership.

POgba needs to go as well,but cant be shifted until January.

Zidane is a hot tempered individual as much as Mourinho so i cant see him improving that pratt.

Pogba needs to be sold at a reduced rate in January so a new manager can come in with a clean sheet.

Wonder how much time they're willing to give Mou. They need to give him more time to fix the situation, or they need to get someone else quickly.

Meanwhile at the Emirates:
    Zidane is temperamental though he should get respect.

Jose is done there is no point delaying the inevitable, I would be disappointed if the board did not sack Jose by next week. Though amongst United fans it is felt the board have been weak and if Jose was the reason more funds were not allocated in the Sumner, they should have sacked him then. It all probably comes down to money and reluctance to pay Jose off. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though they extended Jose contract too quickly, though at the time the media suggested PSG wanted Jose, Jose probably used that to his advantage.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Sánchez not in the squad. Injured?

No,just shit.

Decent transfer business by Arsène!

…and it's 2-0!

It is ,for the wage bill at least .

2-0 Hammers ??!!

Yup. Deflected Yarmolenko shot and into the net.

Oh happy days....great news !!....

That should be enough motivation for Emery and the guys later this afternoon!

Absolutely !!

Put some serious distance between us and those plonkers.
    West Ham are starting to get into gear now,they needed to give Pellegrini time,and he cleverly rested players like Yarmolenko after the WC and now is reaping the rewards.

A top manager IMO and well done WH for not listening to people pushing the panic button but listening to their manager instead.

Thanks @barryt007 as a Hammers fan we seem to be clicking as a team and this is looking promising.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Sánchez not in the squad. Injured?

No,just shit.

Decent transfer business by Arsène!

…and it's 2-0!

It is ,for the wage bill at least .

2-0 Hammers ??!!

Yup. Deflected Yarmolenko shot and into the net.

Oh happy days....great news !!....

That should be enough motivation for Emery and the guys later this afternoon!

Absolutely !!

Put some serious distance between us and those plonkers.
    West Ham are starting to get into gear now,they needed to give Pellegrini time,and he cleverly rested players like Yarmolenko after the WC and now is reaping the rewards.

A top manager IMO and well done WH for not listening to people pushing the panic button but listening to their manager instead.

Thanks @barryt007 as a Hammers fan we seem to be clicking as a team and this is looking promising.

Glad,as as a Gooner,we played you early at home Leonard !!
    WH were showing signs in that game that they were starting to click.
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    A bowl of sturridge a day is super healthy for your system.
    Benny wrote: »
    Get in Eden Hazard. :D

Unluckeeee
    1-1, another good result for Arsenal, @barryt007!
    (lost some FPL points, though)

Good weekend for us indeed @Torgeirtrap ..we are on the march with 3 winnable games coming up.
    A bowl of sturridge a day is super healthy for your system.

Hahaha very good...made me laugh that one !

Good weekend for us indeed @Torgeirtrap ..we are on the march with 3 winnable games coming up.

Good Arsenal had a few of the difficult games early on. Need to pick up three points in all the easier fixtures for a shot at the top four though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Bloody Sturridge
    Damn I thought we had the 3 points there.

Good Arsenal had a few of the difficult games early on. Need to pick up three points in all the easier fixtures for a shot at the top four though.

We are in the top 4 really...same points just 2 goals less than the scum.

We are in the top 4 really...same points just 2 goals less than the scum.

That's true, but need to keep up the results to stay there!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    David Brent "Sturridge"
  • RC7RC7
    Benny wrote: »
    Bloody Sturridge
    Damn I thought we had the 3 points there.

I thought you were brilliant today. Cracking goal from Sturridge. Other than that I thought you were in control. Hate you both x
    Rosenborg losing away against Molde tonight makes a bad end to the weekend. Seeing a happy Ole Gunnar Solskjær is sickening…
    Rosenborg losing away against Molde tonight makes a bad end to the weekend. Seeing a happy Ole Gunnar Solskjær is sickening…

Those are the small moments of joy we give them while they have to watch us win all titles every year. Poor sods ;)
    jobo wrote: »

Those are the small moments of joy we give them while they have to watch us win all titles every year. Poor sods ;)

Very true! Still, difficult seeing a club like that win anything – even more difficult taking recent situations around that club into consideration.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 1,261
    Thought I might share this here. Maybe some football fans know Goalie Ron-Robert Zieler, when he played for ManU and Leicester City.On Saturday I went to watch my club's Bundesliga home match against unbeaten Werder Bremen. Stuttgart was leading 1-0, when the following happened:

watch-stuttgart-own-goal-vs-werder-bremen-borna-sosa

Luckily for Zieler, Stuttgart dd score a second goal and won 2-1. I must say, I haven't seen such a own goal in more than 30 years...
    Thought I might share this here. Maybe some football fans know Goalie Ron-Robert Zieler, when he played for ManU and Leicester City.On Saturday I went to watch my club's Bundesliga home match against unbeaten Werder Bremen. Stuttgart was leading 1-0, when the following happened:

3446-Stuttgart-goalkeeper-Ron-Robert-Zieler-scores-embarrassing-own-goal

https://sport360.tv/en/video/3446-Stuttgart-goalkeeper-Ron-Robert-Zieler-scores-embarrassing-own-goal

Luckily for Zieler, Stuttgart dd score a second goal and won 2-1. I must say, I haven't seen such a own goal in more than 30 years...

That's a strange one I think the player who threw the ball is as much to blame.

https://sport360.tv/en/video/3446-Stuttgart-goalkeeper-Ron-Robert-Zieler-scores-embarrassing-own-goal

That's a strange one I think the player who threw the ball is as much to blame.

No. He is not.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Well, German "experts" partially blame the player, who threw the ball in, because he should've checked, where the goalkeeper stood. Nevertheless a rather strange own goal for sure.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Ron Robert was at LCFC for a while, but never got past Kasper Schmeichal as number one. Loved his name though

Interesting you should mention that you haven't seen such a own goal in more than 30 years. In 1988 Bjarte Flem did this!

BTW, what happened to WizardofIce? Has he left this forum? Last things I read from him was before the World Cup...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    BTW, what happened to WizardofIce? Has he left this forum? Last things I read from him was before the World Cup...

He was suspended for consistent infringement of forum rules. He never asked for re-instatement, so that's how it stands.