"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Newly promoted Huesca had a though day at the Camp Nou losing 8-2 in the end. But they deserve credit for trying to make a game of it and actually took the lead after only 2 minutes. The first half was quite close although Barca predictably ran away with it in the second.

Nice gesture again from Messi turning down the chance to secure a hattrick and instead opting to give away the last minute penalty to a visibly surprised Suarez. But I guess two goals (one of them a trademark piece of Messi art) and two assists (one of them a trademark piece of Messi art) were enough for him to feel satisfied with the evening...
    jobo wrote: »
    Newly promoted Huesca had a though day at the Camp Nou losing 8-2 in the end. But they deserve credit for trying to make a game of it and actually took the lead after only 2 minutes. The first half was quite close although Barca predictably ran away with it in the second.

Nice gesture again from Messi turning down the chance to secure a hattrick and instead opting to give away the last minute penalty to a visibly surprised Suarez. But I guess two goals (one of them a trademark piece of Messi art) and two assists (one of them a trademark piece of Messi art) were enough for him to feel satisfied with the evening...

How was the game, result aside? Interesting?
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 7,505

Hard to say. Barca look deadly impressive at times, sloppy at the back on other occations... The game was marked by bad defending from both teams. Barca let in goals they shouldn´t have and Huesca were naive giving Barca a lot of space.

A few things seem certain though: Messi seems fully motivated, and when he is he has no match.

This looks set to be Dembele´s break through season. He plays with a confidence he didn´t have last season, and his raw talent is astonishing! Fantastic pace and ball control, great creativity, a deadly shot equally good with both feet. If there ever was a definition of a two footed player, it's him!

Coutinho is the closest thing to a worthy Iniesta replacement there is!

Jordi Alba is the best left back in the world, and made a complete mockery of Enrique´s decision to snub him from the Spain squad with an excellent performance, scoring, assisting and forcing an own goal.
    I like Coutinho.

He didn't make a drama or a fuss over his move to Barca,and carried on playing brilliantly for Liverpool right until the end.

A loyal player - something of a rarity these days.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I like Coutinho.

He didn't make a drama or a fuss over his move to Barca,and carried on playing brilliantly for Liverpool right until the end.

And he has really emerged as one of the finest midfield playmakers in the world. He was arguably the best player in the World Cup in the group stages and early knock out rounds. I would rank him together with De Bruyne and Modric as one of the top three finest playmakers in the world right now (excluding Messi who is probably the better of them but is known for much more than playmaking only).
    I like Coutinho.

Most Liverpool fans would strongly disagree.
    vzok wrote: »
    I like Coutinho.

Really ? did I miss something ? This is what I heard but i'm open to correction from a Liverpool fan.
    I like Coutinho.

Some would counter claim that Liverpool are the ones to blame! Using the fact that Barcelona had recently received a huge ammount of money to ask for a simply ridiculous price for a player that didn't want to play for the club...

Hard to say. Barca look deadly impressive at times, sloppy at the back on other occations... The game was marked by bad defending from both teams. Barca let in goals they shouldn´t have and Huesca were naive giving Barca a lot of space.

A few things seem certain though: Messi seems fully motivated, and when he is he has no match.

This looks set to be Dembele´s break through season. He plays with a confidence he didn´t have last season, and his raw talent is astonishing! Fantastic pace and ball control, great creativity, a deadly shot equally good with both feet. If there ever was a definition of a two footed player, it's him!

Jordi Alba is the best left back in the world, and made a complete mockery of Enrique´s decision to snub him from the Spain squad with an excellent performance, scoring, assisting and forcing an own goal.

Seems like an eventful match! How is Dembele's playing time looking like this season? There was some links between him and Arsenal earlier this summer, but as expected, nothing happened.

Seems like an eventful match! How is Dembele's playing time looking like this season? There was some links between him and Arsenal earlier this summer, but as expected, nothing happened.

I think those rumors were mainly sensationalism by the media. They have been going at him all the time since he signed, criticising him for things that seem overly harsh and unfair. The club has always been clear on the fact that they rate him as an extraordinary talent for the future. But when they signed Malcom this summer, who plays in the same position, the media og course jumped on the idea that he was meant to be replacing Dembele. It is bullshit of course! Who would spend more than 100 million on a 20 year old and then sell him for substantially less the next year, not even giving him a second season to show what he's worth? It obviously doesn't make sense!

The fact of the matter is that he has started every competative match this season, clearly being a part of Valverde's preferred 1st eleven. And he has been the deciding match winner on two occation, ones with a brilliant long range strike in the Supercopa final. His struggles so far has been purely mentaly. He has struggled with his confidence and the extreme pressure he has faced, as well as adapting to the Barca playing style (hardly the first one...). His decision making has been subpar, but no one who has watched him play would doubt his abilities. He is in fact arguably even faster and more skillfull than Mbappe, and certainly more creative and better with his "weaker" foot. What he has been lacking is the same mental maturity. Signs are however that he is improving rapidly. He already seems vastly more confident and comfortable with his role in the team than he did last year.
    I like Coutinho.

Really ? did I miss something ? This is what I heard but i'm open to correction from a Liverpool fan.

He developed a “bad back” which kept him out for weeks. It then cleared right up for some Brazil matches and then surprisingly on his return he felt a bit poorly again. Admittedly he then pulled himself together for a while (but I’d guess that was only because Liverpool promised him a January transfer).

On the plus side Liverpool played way better without him. I’m not saying he’s rubbish, just that the team shape improved without him, especially up front.
    I like Coutinho.

Some would counter claim that Liverpool are the ones to blame! Using the fact that Barcelona had recently received a huge ammount of money to ask for a simply ridiculous price for a player that didn't want to play for the club...

I can see that, but the player and his family had been contacted by Barce and all simply expected the transfer to happen. He may not have wanted to play for LFC, but he didn’t express that view when he signed a lucrative new contract not long before that.

As Barce received a ludicrous fee for their player LFC were right to do the same.

I think those rumors were mainly sensationalism by the media. They have been going at him all the time since he signed, criticising him for things that seem overly harsh and unfair. The club has always been clear on the fact that they rate him as an extraordinary talent for the future. But when they signed Malcom this summer, who plays in the same position, the media og course jumped on the idea that he was meant to be replacing Dembele. It is bullshit of course! Who would spend more than 100 million on a 20 year old and then sell him for substantially less the next year, not even giving him a second season to show what he's worth? It obviously doesn't make sense!

The fact of the matter is that he has started every competative match this season, clearly being a part of Valverde's preferred 1st eleven. And he has been the deciding match winner on two occation, ones with a brilliant long range strike in the Supercopa final. His struggles so far has been purely mentaly. He has struggled with his confidence and the extreme pressure he has faced, as well as adapting to the Barca playing style (hardly the first one...). His decision making has been subpar, but no one who has watched him play would doubt his abilities. He is in fact arguably even faster and more skillfull than Mbappe, and certainly more creative and better with his "weaker" foot. What he has been lacking is the same mental maturity. Signs are however that he is improving rapidly. He already seems vastly more confident and comfortable with his role in the team than he did last year.

This what I thought it was too; sensationalism by the media. Of course, the rumours didn't stop when he was seen in an image alongside Arsenal's Aubameyang, Lacazette and Guendouzi at Aubameyang's home close to the transfer window deadline in England. And it's known Arsenal have been looking at players like him before.

That being said, Arsenal's main issues on the pitch is elsewhere – in midfield and defence.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,335
    @jobo What are your thoughts about this?
    https://www.nettavisen.no/sport/fotball/fjrtoft-er-lei-likegyldighet-til-landslaget---alle-har-et-ansvar-for-a-sttte-norge/3423533742.html

To sum up this article, this is a discussion about indifference towards the Norwegian national side. In a recent podcast interview, former footballer Jan Åge Fjørtoft characterized indifference, and not caring for the national side the "closest you get to treason". When asked to elaborate this comment by Nettavisen, he explains that Norwegians should take pride of the country, and those representing it – on the football pitch and outside of sports.

I get the point Fjørtoft is making here, but for someone too young to really remember the "golden generation" of the 90's this just feels like a stupid point to make. I mean, the last twenty or so years have been a series of bad results, conflicts and poor managing. It's no wonder many feel indifference towards the national side.
    https://www.nettavisen.no/sport/fotball/fjrtoft-er-lei-likegyldighet-til-landslaget---alle-har-et-ansvar-for-a-sttte-norge/3423533742.html

To sum up this article, this is a discussion about indifference towards the Norwegian national side. In a recent podcast interview, former footballer Jan Åge Fjørtoft characterized indifference, and not caring for the national side the "closest you get to treason". When asked to elaborate this comment by Nettavisen, he explains that Norwegians should take pride of the country, and those representing it – on the football pitch and outside of sports.

I get the point Fjørtoft is making here, but for someone too young to really remember the "golden generation" of the 90's this just feels like a stupid point to make. I mean, the last twenty or so years have been a series of bad results, conflicts and poor managing. It's no wonder many feel indifference towards the national side.

Ha. I don't care about the Norwegian national team in the slightest! So I am just as treasonous as the mule inside the White House ;)

Ha. I don't care about the Norwegian national team in the slightest! So I am just as treasonous as the mule inside the White House ;)

Haha, guess I'm too! It's a really strange comment to make by Fjørtoft, don't you think?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

The question is will anyone even care, I can't see this lasting beyond its inaugural run.

Haha, guess I'm too! It's a really strange comment to make by Fjørtoft, don't you think?

He is always making strange comments! Nothing new there...

He is probably a nice guy privately, but as a pundit he is useless, never prepared, ignorent, at times obviously biased...

He is always making strange comments! Nothing new there...

He is probably a nice guy privately, but as a pundit he is useless, never prepared, ignorent, at times obviously biased...

That's true of course! Come to think of it, isn't he employed by the NFF these days too?
    Only about 6000 turned up at Ullevaal stadium to watch Norway play Cyprus in the Nations League yesterday. Time to lower the ticket prices, or perhaps play matches in cities where people watch football…?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Only about 6000 watched Norway play Cyprus yesterday in the Nations League. Time to lower the ticket prices, or perhaps play matches in cities where people watch football…?

Who won?
    Only about 6000 watched Norway play Cyprus yesterday in the Nations League. Time to lower the ticket prices, or perhaps play matches in cities where people watch football…?

Who won?

Norway (2-0).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Think I'll watch the Scotland v Belgium game.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,530
    Cracking goal by Hazard, Belgium now 2 up against the Scots

Edited: Hazards goal looks like possible offside obstruction on replay.

Belgium 3 up now, they are destroying Scotland

Good game?

Good game?

Decent in that Belgium look world class, they play great football.

Good game?

Like their best moments at the World Cup, in other words?

Good game?

Pretty much, Scotland are trying though they just don't have the quality. 0 - 4 now

Good game?

Pretty much, Scotland are trying though they just don't have the quality. 0 - 4 now

0-4, not bad from Belgium that, although I don't know how much an opposition Scotland makes. Interesting to see that Batshuayi scored twice; wonder if Chelsea made a mistake sending him on loan again.

Good game?

0-4, not bad from Belgium that, although I don't know how much an opposition Scotland makes. Interesting to see that Batshuayi scored twice; wonder if Chelsea made a mistake sending him on loan again.

Scotland defence was really not great the first goal was a defensive shocker by the keeper.

Good game?

Scotland defence was really not great the first goal was a defensive shocker by the keeper.

Just watched the highlights; that was really a shocker by the keeper before that first goal. There were plenty of other teammates to pass the ball to! The cross leading to that third goal wasn't good by the Scotland defence either. Solid finishing on all the four goals, though.