"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited August 2018 Posts: 17,335
    Deadline Day! (in the PL)
    Which signings do you look forward to watching? What transfers looks like the most strange ones?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,335
    Everton busy towards the deadline, it seems! @jobo will surely know all about what those players will bring to the PL.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Been asleep so missed Sky sports going overboard on Christmas Day deadline day, though looks like I did not miss much, it's been clear for weeks United were unlikely to sign any more players.

I am getting fed up with SKY they used to be the semblance of a credible news source though they are no better the tabloid rags these days.
    I find it easier to trust certain journalists rather than TV channels, etc. For Arsenal related news/rumours it's David Ornstein, AKA "The Ornacle".
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I find it easier to trust certain journalists rather than TV channels, etc. For Arsenal related news/rumours it's David Ornstein, AKA "The Ornacle".

The fabrication of football news stories is getting ridiculous, there comes a point when you have to filter it all out.

The fabrication of football news stories is getting ridiculous, there comes a point when you have to filter it all out.

Yeah, it's a shame really - especially if it's positive news! Never believed the "Dembele to Arsenal" story, even though there's a connection between Dembele, Arsenal and Barca.

Yeah, it's a shame really - especially if it's positive news! Never believed the "Dembele to Arsenal" story, even though there's a connection between Dembele, Arsenal and Barca.

After the first weekend of PL games all the furore will be forgotten, the transfer window can be irritating and detracts from whether our teams can deliver on the pitch.

I have tomorrow night off and all that matters is 3 points against Leceicster.

After the first weekend of PL games all the furore will be forgotten, the transfer window can be irritating and detracts from whether our teams can deliver on the pitch.

Very true. It's a bit refreshing having the PL transfer deadline before the season. Now it's all about on-pitch performances!

Will definitely watch that game tomorrow night. Wonder what lineups the teams will start with. United are a bit short of options, surely?

Very true. It's a bit refreshing having the PL transfer deadline before the season. Now it's all about on-pitch performances!

Will definitely watch that game tomorrow night. Wonder what lineups the teams will start with. United are a bit short of options, surely?

Not sure who will start i suspect it will be close to the team that started against Bayern Munich, I am unsure if any of the players returning late from the WC will be on the bench, if we get a narrow 1 nil tomorrow night I'll be happy.
    Everton busy towards the deadline, it seems! @jobo will surely know all about what those players will bring to the PL.

Well, the truth is that both are players Barcelona are very happy to get rid off. Gomez has been frustrating Barca fans now for two seasons. He clearly has a lot of potential, but he has seemed completely lost at Camp Nou for whatever reason. The plan was to sell him this season but a long term injury threatened to ruin those ideas. Luckily thry found this solution and might get to sell him for decent profit next summer. He might well turn out to be a hit in PL. Everton should suit him.

Mina is a monster in the box as most people know. A physical beast! There has however been concerns about his defensive positioning as well as his ability on the ball, and he has seemed uncomfortable in Barca's high pressing game. Adding to that there are several non EU players in the squad, and the club had to get rid off some of them. They now sell him for more than twice the ammount they signed him for, which is a great piece of business for a player that would have been the 5th choice center back in the team. His physicality should shine in the PL and he will get lots of goals. A possible player to add in your FPL team on occation.

Not sure who will start i suspect it will be close to the team that started against Bayern Munich, I am unsure if any of the players returning late from the WC will be on the bench, if we get a narrow 1 nil tomorrow night I'll be happy.

That's probably likely, yes. Don't know what we can expect from Leicester this season now that Mahrez has left. Lot's of talk about this Maddison, so he might be one to watch tonight.
    jobo wrote: »

Well, the truth is that both are players Barcelona are very happy to get rid off. Gomez has been frustrating Barca fans now for two seasons. He clearly has a lot of potential, but he has seemed completely lost at Camp Nou for whatever reason. The plan was to sell him this season but a long term injury threatened to ruin those ideas. Luckily thry found this solution and might get to sell him for decent profit next summer. He might well turn out to be a hit in PL. Everton should suit him.

Mina is a monster in the box as most people know. A physical beast! There has however been concerns about his defensive positioning as well as his ability on the ball, and he has seemed uncomfortable in Barca's high pressing game. Adding to that there are several non EU players in the squad, and the club had to get rid off some of them. They now sell him for more than twice the ammount they signed him for, which is a great piece of business for a player that would have been the 5th choice center back in the team. His physicality should shine in the PL and he will get lots of goals. A possible player to add in your FPL team on occation.

Not surprised by this. Why would Barcelona even consider selling to Everton, if the two players weren't a part of their plans? Marco Silva looks like a talented manager, so they might shine with him in charge. We've seen that already with Richarlison at Watford - who he now has brought to Goodison Park. Mina is one to consider in FPL, I think - but Everton hasn't been impressive defensively this pre-season. Their late transfer business might change things though.

I have tomorrow night off and all that matters is 3 points against Leicester Man Utd.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »

I have tomorrow night off and all that matters is 3 points against Leicester Man Utd.

Top man Barry. Come on you foooooooooooxes!
    Good window for Leicester. Good signings, Maguire stays, Vardy signs new contract.
    NicNac wrote: »

Good window for Leicester. Good signings, Maguire stays, Vardy signs new contract.

And Man Utd in turmoil he he !!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Hmm, nothing worse than a wounded animal though!

Hmm, nothing worse than a wounded animal though!

Best that Leicester put it out of its misery then he he .

Why are Man Utd in turmoil? They finished second.
    vzok wrote: »

Why are Man Utd in turmoil? They finished second.

Because of their manic depressive manager.
    They finished second with him slagging half of them off and playing 12 at the back. They’ll probably win it this year.
    vzok wrote: »
    They finished second with him slagging half of them off and playing 12 at the back. They’ll probably win it this year.

True...maybe he is being a psychological genius and we are all falling for it !
    1aba986a29e1ab14e29df926538386c4.gif
    It's surely a part of a bigger plan! :D
    I am happy with how United have set up in midfield we should play some free flowing football
    I am happy with how United have set up in midfield we should play some free flowing football

Quite like the look of both teams, World Cup considered. Will be an interesting match, but I expect United to win this.
    I think Sanchez will get on the score sheet

He's had a full pre-season! Should be a main man tonight.

Be interesting to see if he swaps positions with Rashford during the match, he seems more effective as a number 9 or false 9.

Be interesting to see if he swaps positions with Rashford during the match, he seems more effective as a number 9 or false 9.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see. Pogba captain too!
    And we are off... COME UNITED
    Quick start penalty
    Lmao that walk up by pogba... Get in