"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited August 2018 Posts: 17,335
    Man United v Bayern Munich It's our final preseason game at the Allianz Arena starting shortly, Sanchez has been looking sharp hopefully he will get a goal or two tonight.

Given what happened at Arsenal, I hope he doesn't :))

Ha ha in preseason he looks a different player to the lacklustre start he had at United last January, the extended summer break has brought freshness to his game. Early on we will need Sanchez firing, due to players being at the WC.

Not surprised, really. When was the last time he had a proper summer break? I guess a lot of United's season depends on the last days of the transfer window, and of course Mourinho and how he sets up his team an manages the game time of the WC players.

From an Arsenal point of view, I really don't know what to hope for. The transfer window (in isolation) has been positive, with the backroom staff of Mislintat, Sanllehi, Fahmy and Gazidis adressing some of the main issues. Now it's up to Emery and the players to improve on last season. I'm happy with top four, but not counting on it to happen.

Fred look's good and Pereria also, I am quietly confident about United's midfield, I hope Jose gets the centre back and Right winger he wants before the deadline. MUTV mentioned Sanchez has hardly had a summer off in years.
    Centre backs and right wingers is what's rumoured as well, so I guess some transfer activity will happen there. Alderweireld should be likely, shouldn't it?
    I am not sure what to expect from Arsenal other than change and you needed a change.
    No doubt about that!

Dismal from United tonight not really offered anything going forward.

It's been a boring match so far. Not much to mention about either team actually.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Man United v Bayern Munich It's our final preseason game at the Allianz Arena starting shortly, Sanchez has been looking sharp hopefully he will get a goal or two tonight.

Ha ha in preseason he looks a different player to the lacklustre start he had at United last January, the extended summer break has brought freshness to his game. Early on we will need Sanchez firing, due to players being at the WC.

Not surprised, really. When was the last time he had a proper summer break? I guess a lot of United's season depends on the last days of the transfer window, and of course Mourinho and how he sets up his team an manages the game time of the WC players.

From an Arsenal point of view, I really don't know what to hope for. The transfer window (in isolation) has been positive, with the backroom staff of Mislintat, Sanllehi, Fahmy and Gazidis adressing some of the main issues. Now it's up to Emery and the players to improve on last season. I'm happy with top four, but not counting on it to happen.

Fred look's good and Pereria also, I am quietly confident about United's midfield, I hope Jose gets the centre back and Right winger he wants before the deadline. MUTV mentioned Sanchez has hardly had a summer off in years.
    Centre backs and right wingers is what's rumoured as well, so I guess some transfer activity will happen there. Alderweireld should be likely, shouldn't it?
    I am not sure what to expect from Arsenal other than change and you needed a change.
    No doubt about that!

It's been a boring match so far. Not much to mention about either team actually.

I am not surprised Jose has been disgruntled, hopefully United will scrape a few one nil wins whilst Pogba and Lukaku etc return.

No doubt about that!

I am not surprised Jose has been disgruntled, hopefully United will scrape a few one nil wins whilst Pogba and Lukaku etc return.

Won't be surprised if José manages that! Decent fixtures at the start of the season, Sp*rs aside (but that's at Old Trafford).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Heard that rumour a few days ago, according to many sources we are also signing Mina, Alderweireld and Maguire. I have stopped paying attention to rumours until a player is wearing a United shirt.

Heard that rumour a few days ago, according to many sources we are also signing Mina, Alderweireld and Maguire. I have stopped paying attention to rumours until a player is wearing a United shirt.

Yeah, rumours are rumours after all. Mina's been linked with Everton the last few days; will be interesting to see where these players end up. Have a feeling Maguire might still be a Leicester player after the deadline.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,530

Yeah, rumours are rumours after all. Mina's been linked with Everton the last few days; will be interesting to see where these players end up. Have a feeling Maguire might still be a Leicester player after the deadline.

I will be glad when the season starts, though United have not shifted the dead wood I hoped they would, too many players not good enough. City will be tough to stop and Jose knows it, I'll be very surprised if Jose is United manager in a years time.

I will be glad when the season starts, though United have not shifted the dead wood I hoped they would, too many players not good enough. City will be tough to stop and Jose knows it, I'll be very surprised if Jose is United manager in a years time.

Been a lot of speculation regarding José. He can't be that happy with the transfer window, and probably hasn't tried to hide it either (why would he?). Things can change if a lot happens in the next days, though.

Been a lot of speculation regarding José. He can't be that happy with the transfer window, and probably hasn't tried to hide it either (why would he?). Things can change if a lot happens in the next days, though.

Why he would you ask? Maybe to try to instill some confidence in the players he already has and the young players at the club? Not that he seems interested in that regarding some of his latest comments...
    Why is Jose not getting the transfers he wants? There can’t be a shortage of cash.
    jobo wrote: »

Why he would you ask? Maybe to try to instill some confidence in the players he already has and the young players at the club? Not that he seems interested in that regarding some of his latest comments...
    We all know José doesn't do that. He could (or should if you like), but he won't. McTominay seems to be an exception, but that was partly because of the José and Pogba situation, if I remember correctly.
    vzok wrote: »
    Why is Jose not getting the transfers he wants? There can’t be a shortage of cash.
    Exactly. With United's buying power, you'd expect them to have done plenty already.
    Is Woodward failing to buy or deliberately not buying?
    Mourinho's comment regarding transfers tonight:
    ‘My CEO knows what I want and I still have a few days to wait and see what happens,’ Mourinho said on MUTV.

‘The other clubs who compete with us are really strong and already have fantastic teams. Or they are investing massively like Liverpool, who are buying everything and everybody.

‘If we don’t make our team better it will be a difficult season for us.’

There are suggestions that the United board are only prepared to spend when the team are not in the top four, from a fans point of view we needed investment this summer as the team has had at least three problem positions before Jose was even appointed. RB, LB and RW are areas we need top quality and as well documented CB. I would ship at least 5 players right now that are not good enough, I could easily make a case for more based on age.

We all know José doesn't do that. He could (or should if you like), but he won't. McTominay seems to be an exception, but that was partly because of the José and Pogba situation, if I remember correctly.
    Exactly. With United's buying power, you'd expect them to have done plenty already.

Oh, I am not surprised. Lets just say that for someone who has been fixated on media mind games like if it was a religion for over å decade, he is not very good at it...

Will he survive at Utd until Christmas? Wouldn't bet on it...

There are suggestions that the United board are only prepared to spend when the team are not in the top four, from a fans point of view we needed investment this summer as the team has had at least three problem positions before Jose was even appointed. RB, LB and RW are areas we need top quality and as well documented CB. I would ship at least 5 players right now that are not good enough, I could easily make a case for more based on age.
    That seems like a good assessment; those issues could have been the difference in challenging City for the league title last season. City look no weaker this season either (once the WC stars return).

Oh, I am not surprised. Lets just say that for someone who has been fixated on media mind games like if it was a religion for over å decade, he is not very good at it...

Will he survive at Utd until Christmas? Wouldn't bet on it...
    Will be an interesting season for the United fans, that's for sure. Can see it go both ways.
    Everyone else have way too much ground to make up on City.

Yeah, it'll be City again this season too - can't see it going any other way. Read earlier today that City might bring in another midfielder. Their bench can almost win the league alone by now!
    Skysports:
    'Paul Pogba wants to leave Manchester United this summer following he breakdown of his relationship with manager Jose Mourinho, reports Mundo Deportivo.

Barcelona and Juventus are battling for the World Cup-winning Frenchman’s signature and the Italian champions are willing to offer playmaker Miralem Pjanic in part-exchange.

Pogba’s agent, Mino Raiola, is currently in England to orchestrate the 25-year-old’s exit from Old Trafford.'

Will be an interesting week ahead!
    Skysports:
    'Paul Pogba wants to leave Manchester United this summer following he breakdown of his relationship with manager Jose Mourinho, reports Mundo Deportivo.

Barcelona and Juventus are battling for the World Cup-winning Frenchman’s signature and the Italian champions are willing to offer playmaker Miralem Pjanic in part-exchange.

Pogba’s agent, Mino Raiola, is currently in England to orchestrate the 25-year-old’s exit from Old Trafford.'

This story has been floating around for a while I initially thought Pogba would not leave, if this is true there will be uproar from United fans and even more pressure on Jose to leave, many United fans want Jose out.
    Who will replace Pogba?
    Skysports:

This story has been floating around for a while I initially thought Pogba would not leave, if this is true there will be uproar from United fans and even more pressure on Jose to leave, many United fans want Jose out.

I guess there might be more truth to it if Raiola has traveled to England. On the other hand, Raiola has other players he represents there.

Based on recent signings, performances, development and not least mood, I would rank Liverpool over Utd as City's most competative rivals.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,530
    Skysports:

I guess there might be more truth to it if Raiola has traveled to England. On the other hand, Raiola has other players he represents there.

Even if Pogba wants to leave at this stage I can't see United letting him go with less than 3 days of the English transfer window left, all parties may agree a compromise for a summer exit 2019 (if Jose is still manager).

Though the way Jose has been acting you could argue he is in self destruct mode, I would like to see Jose try and build a side with longevity to compete though I just can't see that happening now, Jose historically never lasts more than 3 years at a club, I was hoping Jose tenure at United would be different.
    Skysports:

Even if Pogba wants to leave at this stage I can't see United letting him go with less than 3 days of the English transfer window left, all parties may agree a compromise for a summer exit 2019 (if Jose is still manager).

Though the way Jose has been acting you could argue he is in self destruct mode, I would like to see Jose try and build a side with longevity to compete though I just can't see that happening now, Jose historically never lasts more than 3 years at a club, I was hoping Jose tenure at United would be different.

Calm down. The rumour is pure nonsense! It sounds like just the kind of story Mundodeprotivo would make up.

According to reports Kroenke "used a £557m loan from Deutsche Bank to help fund his complete buyout of Arsenal."

According to reports Kroenke "used a £557m loan from Deutsche Bank to help fund his complete buyout of Arsenal."

Boateng is past it and a Man City reject, I groaned when I read we were supposedly linked with him. almost everytime United play another team papers link us with one of there players it's ridiculous.

Boateng is past it and a Man City reject, I groaned when I read we were supposedly linked with him. almost everytime United play another team papers link us with one of there players it's ridiculous.

Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in Arsenal then! :))
    Think he's been linked with PSG, as well. Tuchel is German, so it might be that he wants to bring in some German players he knows.