"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    jobo wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Dare I say it: England is the front runner to come out of this bracket. I don’t want to jinx it, but...

Why? Then you have something to blame when they get knocked out.

giphy.gif

If there's one thing this WC have given us so far though, it's surprises. Nothing will surprise me at this point.

Very true
  • RC7RC7
    Tiki-Taxi for Spain - good article by Ronay outlining what some of us have been saying for a while.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/01/spain-style-eats-itself-face-russia-rearguard-heroism
    RC7 wrote: »
    Tiki-Taxi for Spain - good article by Ronay outlining what some of us have been saying for a while.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/01/spain-style-eats-itself-face-russia-rearguard-heroism

People have been declaring the "the end of Tiki-taka" every year since 2013. It is just as repetitive as they claim the style itself is... It always prevails though.
  • RC7RC7

People have been declaring the "the end of Tiki-taka" every year since 2013. It is just as repetitive as they claim the style itself is... It always prevails though.

Clearly not.

Clearly not.

It clearly does. If you think it's dead after this result you will have to think again...
  • RC7RC7

Clearly not.

It clearly does. If you think it's dead after this result you will have to think again...

It clearly does not always prevail.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 7,506

Clearly not.

Maybe my English has its limitations at times. What I meant is that it will always survive. Sometimes it wins, sometimes it loses. To claim it's dead and buried because for one game it was executed badly, is ridiculous. But of course it's what the English have been dreaming of for decades.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,512

Clearly not.

Maybe my English has it limitations at times. What I meant is that it will always survive. Sometimes it wins, sometimes it loses. To claim it's dead and buried because for one game it was executed badly, is ridiculous. But of course it's what the English have been dreaming of for decades.

No one’s claiming it’s dead and buried, just that in its current guise it isn’t working. That result for Spain is worse than England losing to Iceland. Packing out the midfield, retaining possession and then boring you’re opponents into submission isn’t the neatest thing anymore - Spain looked like they’d finally bored themselves to death.

These things are cyclical, but for now it looks like things are shifting, thankfully, and a more direct, attacking style of football will take precedence.

Clearly not.

Maybe my English has it limitations at times. What I meant is that it will always survive. Sometimes it wins, sometimes it loses. To claim it's dead and buried because for one game it was executed badly, is ridiculous. But of course it's what the English have been dreaming of for decades.

No one’s claiming it’s dead and buried, just that in its current guise it isn’t working. That result for Spain is worse than England losing to Iceland. Packing out the midfield, retaining possession and then boring you’re opponents into submission isn’t the neatest thing anymore - Spain looked like they’d finally bored themselves to death.

These things are cyclical, but for now it looks like things are shifting, thankfully, and a more direct, attacking style of football will take precedence.

I always find it amusing when one team puts ten men inside their own penalty box, defending deep for 120 minutes, and then the other team somehow gets all the blame for it being a boring game. A well executed parked bus is difficult to break down for any team, with any philosophy. No matter if it was Brazil, England, Real Madrid etc. you can be sure the ammount of chances would be at minimum. It is obvious that it will require a great sense of patience to break such teams down, no matter if endlesly blasting the ball into the box hoping one of your guys would get to it first, or trying to move the ball quickly taking advantage of small pockets of space, was your desired approach. You can desire to counter attack as much as you want, but it won't matter if your opponent never gives you a chance to do so.

It always takes two teams to make an entertaining game. If one team decides they want to aim for penalties, you are most likely in for a dull game. And of course bad Tiki-taka will always be less entertaining than good Tiki-taka (duh). Just like all football executed badly will be less entertaining than football executed well (except if we are talking about defending, obviously). Spain were quite simply not up to it yesterday.
    Mexico off to a good start.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mexico looking good Brazil have hardly got going mainly due to the Mexicans.
    I am still not sold on this Brazil team. And it is mainly because of Neymar. He slows down too many attacks wanting to be the hero. And he has a habit (I remember it well from his Barcelona days) of making things unnecesarry complicated when it could and should be easy.

Willian seems to not be in his best shape at the moment. And Jesus is an intelligent player, but still seems like he needs some maturing.
    Oh, no! Not the divey b*stard!
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,344
    Neymar you c*nt! Book him you pathetic ref!

…and it's 2-0.
    Those Neymar antics makes me want Brazil to go out of the tournament as soon as possible. In saying that, they will probably win the damn thing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Neymar is very humble lol
    Neymar is very humble lol

I wonder how he acts when in real pain!
    Nothing much separating Belgium and Japan so far. Decent defending from Japan on a few dangerous situations.
    Oooh! Courtois close to making a BIG mistake!
    Japan scores! Is Belgium going to follow Spain and Germany out of the tournament?
    Get in Japan major shock on card
    Again, it's 0-2 folks! :-O
  • RC7RC7
    Wow.
    Japan really make Belgium play bad now!
    Well deserved... Martinez teams shipped goals for fun in The Premiership I had my doubts about Belgium
    Fellaini and Chadli on. Can Belgium come back into this game?
    1-2, Vertonghen! 70 min played. Belgium still have some time.
    Another of my Fantasy Team defenders score

You're on fire! I get nothing from my team, haha!
    2-2, Fellaini!

You're on fire! I get nothing from my team, haha!

Only my defenders score lol