"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Spain are ball hogs with little cutting edge currently

Yet I've filled my Fantasy team with Spanish players…
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I need to change five of my players already in my team going to lose points gr lol

I need to change five of my players already in my team going to lose points gr lol

These surprising results are great entertainment, but makes World Cup Fantasy very difficult!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

Indeed. Shame, as I quite like Spain and their style of play, but not enough teeth.
    royale65 wrote: »

Indeed. Shame, as I quite like Spain and their style of play, but not enough teeth.

Subbing of Costa was a huge mistake I think. He is their only real presence in the box and he is just the kind of guy that could have fought in a goal on pure will towards the end. Aspas for all his qualities was not a man for this type of match scenario. The fact that they didn't push harder, for example puting Piqué in the box as an extra target man (Russia were defending with everyone anyway...) and replacing Koke for a more creative and threatening playmaker (Thiago remained on the bench for some reason) was strange. I think Hierro showed his inexperience today, although he is by no means solely to blame for the defeat.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 4,422
    I was going to respond to your post @jobo, but Denmark have just scored!

Edit - Croatia have equalised. Lovely stuff. Not even 5 mins played.
    What a poor coaching job was doen by this Spanish fellow, Spain played like Putin promised them an extended stay in some Siberian holiday camp if they had the guts to win.
    Don't know which of the two football threads to comment on - but 1-1! This can become an interesting game.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,681
    Don't know which of the two football threads to comment on - but 1-1! This can become an interesting game.

I am hoping Perisic will gain me some points in this game
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,681

Haha Neymar certainly will do anything to get attention

HAIL KING ERIC
    2x15 mins!
    We were spoilt yesterday the teams today too cautious at times or under performed, hopping the Danes nick this as Croatia are below par though a bigger threat potentially to England assuming England keep going.
    Oh, no!
    SAVED IT!!!!! LIKE HIS FATHER DID BEFORE HIM!!!!
    What a poorly taken penalty. This promises something for the series that is bound to come.
    A save his dad is proud of
    That's why Rakitic is better
    Casper will be feeling confident that's for sure for this shoot out
    This is great drama
    As I already remarked earlier the goalies decide.
    Damn it! Really wanted Denmark to take this one!
    When it comes to penalties it is not who plays football best but the nerves and decent goalies.

I mean Russia did not play football but had a better keeper and stronger nerves.

Denmark were the better team I was hoping they would get through
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Schmeichel is a beast in goal. Too bad the ten players in front of him suck.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,372

Denmark were the better team I was hoping they would get through

That was my feeling too. Croatia did what was required, though - which the bigger nations (in this case Croatia is) usually do. Would have loved for Denmark to play like they did in at least one more match. It's not a beautiful way of playing football, but it took them this far.

Edit: Croatia have Russia up next. Will a performance like this be enough against the Russians, playing in their own country?
    I think Russia will beat Croatia
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Dare I say it: England is the front runner to come out of this bracket. I don’t want to jinx it, but...
    TripAces wrote: »
    Dare I say it: England is the front runner to come out of this bracket. I don’t want to jinx it, but...

Why? Then you have something to blame when they get knocked out.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,372
    jobo wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

Why? Then you have something to blame when they get knocked out.

giphy.gif

If there's one thing this WC have given us so far though, it's surprises. Nothing will surprise me at this point.