"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just woke to the news Rooney has retired I am a bit surprised, I thought the Everton move would give him more regular football to get back into the England squad. I think a national team should retire a player not the other way round to be honest
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    DCisared wrote: »
    Next goal massive. If they get it we could easily fold.

How can you be 3 goals clear and still sweating? That's what years of Minger and co have done to us.

I feel like its a personnel problem rather than down to the system. We need reinforcements! There aren't many good defender's in the PL though although Van dikerz would surely improve.

I keep hearing this bullshit.

What Van Dijk is the only defender in the world who is an upgrade on what we've got is he? We're ready to spend 60m plus but there's literally no one else on the globe who could force their way into our world class back four?

That's not a personnel problem that's dismal scouting. Fair enough Van Dijk out primary target but when Soton say no we apparently have no plan B.

Tbf with Mignolet in goal i think Franz beckenbauer would be made to look a donkey so i think you're right. Danny ward should be getting a game no question.

Very true. Did you see the clown a minute ago just drop a straight forward catch under no pressure that a toddler would have held?

Why have we not come in for Butland, Pickford, Schmeicel, Heaton, Hart, Forster. No end of keepers who are an upgrade and we'd have got them for a paltry 20m at the start of the window.
    Klopp said he was v happy with the 3 he had already
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 17,302
    At least Arsenal have Čech and Ospina to rely on. Could be worse. Saying that, Mignolet will probably have a stand out game this weekend.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Next goal massive. If they get it we could easily fold.

How can you be 3 goals clear and still sweating? That's what years of Minger and co have done to us.

I feel like its a personnel problem rather than down to the system. We need reinforcements! There aren't many good defender's in the PL though although Van dikerz would surely improve.

I keep hearing this bullshit.

What Van Dijk is the only defender in the world who is an upgrade on what we've got is he? We're ready to spend 60m plus but there's literally no one else on the globe who could force their way into our world class back four?

That's not a personnel problem that's dismal scouting. Fair enough Van Dijk out primary target but when Soton say no we apparently have no plan B.

Tbf with Mignolet in goal i think Franz beckenbauer would be made to look a donkey so i think you're right. Danny ward should be getting a game no question.

Very true. Did you see the clown a minute ago just drop a straight forward catch under no pressure that a toddler would have held?

Why have we not come in for Butland, Pickford, Schmeicel, Heaton, Hart, Forster. No end of keepers who are an upgrade and we'd have got them for a paltry 20m at the start of the window.

Yep the man is full on parody :( he'll have the nerve to put on twitter and instagram later how it was a great team performance.
    Its mental isnt it how we've still got him as our 'number 1' after all these years.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,329
    At least Arsenal have Čech and Ospina to rely on. Could be worse. Saying that, Mignolet will probably have a stand out game this weekend.

Ha ha lets hope. Ive a bad feeling about that game though. Its hard not to be pessimistic about the reds these days.

Ha ha lets hope. Ive a bad feeling about that game though. Its hard not to be pessimistic about the reds these days.

Me too. I'm not having big hopes for this fixture at all. Sánchez probably back, though, but that doesn't solve the midfield/defensive issues. Do hope for some surprises at the end of the transfer window, but that's probably even more unlikely.
    Proper shite us ya know. I know it might seem crazy when we're winning 4-2 but imagine having to rely on that defence in the latter stages of the champions league, christ almighty.
    Proper shite us ya know. I know it might seem crazy when we're winning 4-2 but imagine having to rely on that defence in the latter stages of the champions league, christ almighty.
    Know the feeling! Arsenal against Bayern München comes to mind...
    It's embarrassing. Does Jurgen seriously think needing to score 4 to win a game is sustainable over a season?
    Any chance qualifying will lead to some decent signings in the last week of the transfer window?
    vzok wrote: »
    Any chance qualifying will lead to some decent signings in the last week of the transfer window?

About the same as Grant giving you a fag when he has you on your knees in a train compartment with a gun pointed at you.
    When is the draw for EFL Cup made? Tonight or tomorrow morning?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    When is the draw for EFL Cup made? Tonight or tomorrow morning?

You mean the prestigious Carabao Cup? 04.15am mate.

And I don't want any accusations that English football has sold its arse - it's all about the global profile.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/23/zlatan-ibrahimovic-targeting-incredible-early-return-for-second-manchester-united-debut-6874129/

Ibra is superhuman great news if true, will need him to make an assault on all fronts
    Now hopefully we can get a few players before the window closes after Easily Qualifying for the Champions league.

And hopefully we can get rid of Mignolet,DJ lovren and Moreno.

Robertson played well on the weekend and Danny Ward should be our GK.
    Salah has been great, not bad for a chealsea reject. :)
    20988511_10155065006662746_915029434282872795_o.jpg?oh=dc340ee210b6a88c43ea89591742a2f9&oe=5A1EC16A

United will start there defence of the trophy against Burton Albion, thankfully that match won't be played in China lol
    20988511_10155065006662746_915029434282872795_o.jpg?oh=dc340ee210b6a88c43ea89591742a2f9&oe=5A1EC16A

United will start there defence of the trophy against Burton Albion, thankfully that match won't be played in China lol

Please tell me you didn't set your alarm to get up for the comedy Carabao draw?

You say lol now but by 2020 I fully expect matches to be played there, or at the very least a 6am kick off time here so they can maximise their telly audience.

Please tell me you didn't set your alarm to get up for the comedy Carabao draw?

You say lol now but by 2020 I fully expect matches to be played there, or at the very least a 6am kick off time here so they can maximise their telly audience.

I am on a waking night shift lol

Joking aside that's where the game is heading, all about higher revenue
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    comics-WUMO-fridge-talking-778043.jpeg
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Not looking forward to the game on Sunday....

Same here...different season,same shit,i think.

Even Paul Merson,Ian Wright,Alan Smith and Charlie Nicholas think so,they are tearing their hair out (apart from Wrighty obviously,as he is bald.)

Although seeing Liverpool's near collapse last night we might have a chance.
    One thing is for sure,with these 2 bloody teams anything could happen - I don't think it will be 0-0 !!

When are they going to get video technology,etc in the EPL ?

Nothing worse than scoring a onside goal and it being called offside, or when the other team scores a offside goal.

They use technology for tennis,cricket etc.
    I wouldn't hold your breath,it took Eons to get the goal-line technology,alas.
    barryt007 wrote: »

If Cricket can do it the FA should be able to do it. They make enough money.
    What does FA stand for ? Sweet FA ? :)
  • RC7RC7
    They don't need video for offsides. It's swings and roundabouts.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Oh no I was right all along. We are utter shit.

Make no mistake - with Liverpool's defence this is still on.

Could end 6-5 but Christ knows which way.

You can't go denouncing religion and then calling on Jesus to give you guidance in this hour of need.
    RC7 wrote: »

That's BS. Wake up, it's 2017. :)

001 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

If Cricket can do it the FA should be able to do it. They make enough money.
    What does FA stand for ? Sweet FA ? :)

Hahaha got it in one...exactly.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    001 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

That's BS. Wake up, it's 2017. :)

I worry what some of the youth want for the future of the game.

I just noticed the 3rd round draw for the 'League' Cup ,some tough matches.

WBA v Man City: (shame for WBA as they are taking this seriously,but Man City could put out a weakened team and ,WBA would have to face them sooner or later).

Leicester v Liverpool : tough game for Liverpool as Leicester will put out a big team I feel..Leicester win for me with this one.

Burnley v Leeds : A war of the Roses match,could go either way.

Crystal Palace v Huddersfield Town : a re-match of the opening day of the season...revenge for Palace ?:

Bristol City v Stoke City: Watford's conquerers will be on a high at home.

Bournemouth v Brighton and Hove Albion: Another derby ,this time on the South coast,again a 50/50 call to me.

At least,being a Gooner,we have a nice home tie with Doncaster to look forward to...phew !