Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Pierce is my favorite Bond, but Dalton most certainly brought a lot of interesting things to the table, and his two films are fantastic.

I'll tell ya, Dalton's two & Brosnan's first two are basically my go-to Bonds.

Dalton and Brosnan are my favourite Bond actors. Very different Bonds but both were brilliant in the role.
  • RC7RC7
    I do miss Brozzer. My better-half watched him in Love Punch (I think) on a recent flight and on her return claimed, 'I'd still love to see him as Bond'. She thinks he's aged really well and claimed that, having now read a couple of the books, she thinks he's the perfect Bond, visually. Plus he's the one she envisages when reading the Fleming novels.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I always like the stern expression Broz gives as Bond (or even in other films). Whenever he does that I always say "Bond!" in my head.

I will confess that his films were/are kind of cheesey. I think even Brosnan himself has expressed disatisfaction with his entries. One does get the feeling that, with Dalton and Craig, the production team did try a bit harder to make a meaty product. Things started well with GE but aftr that they became...average.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @fjdinardo, if you'd said Brosnan was AS GOOD as Dalton, I'd have agreed. They both rocked in different ways.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    chrisisall wrote:
    I think Craig is giving him a run for his money in terms of popular appeal, if he hasn't already surpassed him.
    Craig IS Bond for this generation; Connery & even Brosnan are like West's & Keaton's Batman at this point. Only SEVERE film peeps and older fans (like me) carry the torches IMO.
    :)>-

Connery won't ever end up like them. He'll be the definitive Bond forevermore.

And to this I say to you, Amen.

• I always envisage Dalton when I read the books but I think that's just because he was my first Bond so he's always the face I associate with the character.

Brosnan has aged really well. I think it's a toss up between Brosnan and Connery when it comes to who's the perfect Bond visually.
    Brosnan's image does sometimes pop into my head when reading the books I have to admit - but I think thats mainly due to his physical appearance rather than character traits.

Tbh I don't really picture any of the actors regularly when reading the books (I think I've kind of formed a different image in my head) but the one I know I picture least is Moore.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    the one I know I picture least is Moore.

When I think of Moore I'm reminded of Monty Python:
    Now for something completely different...
    chrisisall wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

There will be no dissing of Rog. Not on my watch! ;-)
    chrisisall wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I like Rog as Bond and he's currently 3rd in my rankings behind Connery and Craig. He was comfident, funny and could carry off the serious moments when he wanted to. But I will confess that a lot of the time he seemed to be playing an extended version of himself rather than James Bond.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'd agree with that assessement Wizard.

Actually I've got a controversial view:

I think LALD is the most overrated film in the series. It has some good moments but its sooo dated.

It seems to be usually rated lower-mid pack, so it's not highly rated to begin with. Having said that, I think it's a bit underrated.

That is what I think too, or rather it is somewhat forgotten. I don't see it as overrated, even among the fans of Moore.
    chrisisall wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

No dis intended, sir! I love Rog, he was just a very different Bond from the others. The "Saint-ly" Bond, if you will. TMWTGG ROCKS!
    I always say Roger Moores movies were a breath of fresh air from Seans movies. Its what the series needed at the time
    Here is something very controversial

If Someone in my family or a friend wants to watch a bond film even on i am not fond of (Diamonds are forever Die another day etc) I would still watch it.. why beacause it's still a Bond movie :D
    Risico007 wrote:

If Someone in my family or a friend wants to watch a bond film even on i am not fond of (Diamonds are forever Die another day etc) I would still watch it.. why beacause it's still a Bond movie :D

I don't think that's controversial in the slightest actually.
  • Risico007 wrote:

If by "very" you mean "not at all," then yes.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    We will get a lighthearted Bond after Craig; the pendulum swings back and forth.
    echo wrote:
    We will get a lighthearted Bond after Craig; the pendulum swings back and forth.

Nahh, the prods love Craig, they'll want to try and get someone with a similar demeanour a la Lazenby after Connery.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,691
    echo wrote:
    A TND sort of Bond is possible, but we'll never go back to the MR Bond, thank goodhead, errr... goodness.
  • Lazenby is the best Bond, Dalton was weak, Moonraker is top tier, Brosnan sucked from the get go and his best film by a mile is DAD.
    Lazenby is the best Bond, Dalton was weak, Moonraker is top tier, Brosnan sucked from the get go and his best film by a mile is DAD.

Can you elaborate on that?

Another view which suddenly occurred to me after seeing a bit of GE last night:

Trevelyan could have been a better villain. As much as I like him I realised he doesn't really do that much in the film. He shows up, "dies", reappears, makes a few speeches to Bond, barks orders at henchmen then is killed in the climax.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I don't know if this is a controversial opinion per se, but i would have loved to see the Janus Syndicate return in Brosnans other three films!
    Alec WAS Janus though so he couldn't really be used again - unless he survived after GE.

I think the name "Janus" is quite cool - especially given its Roman origins.

I've heard it used a couple of times elsewhere and it's always reminded me of GE.
  • I think I started a thread about once, Alec surviving the end of GE and then Janus becoming a recurring enemy for Brosnan's Bond. In TND Carver would've been a member, TWINE would've been a stand alone film and then in DAD Trevelayn would have been the main villain and Brosnan would've finished him off at the end.
    I think I started a thread about once, Alec surviving the end of GE and then Janus becoming a recurring enemy for Brosnan's Bond. In TND Carver would've been a member, TWINE would've been a stand alone film and then in DAD Trevelayn would have been the main villain and Brosnan would've finished him off at the end.
    That would have been cool!

BAIN123 wrote:
    Lazenby is the best Bond, Dalton was weak, Moonraker is top tier, Brosnan sucked from the get go and his best film by a mile is DAD.

Trevelyan could have been a better villain. As much as I like him I realised he doesn't really do that much in the film. He shows up, "dies", reappears, makes a few speeches to Bond, barks orders at henchmen then is killed in the climax.

I actually agree with this. I love Sean Bean as an actor and he was a capable villain, but I always thought Trevelyan was lacking as a character. He is too young for his background, for one, and in a role of leadership it would have fitted more had he been older.
    I think I started a thread about once, Alec surviving the end of GE and then Janus becoming a recurring enemy for Brosnan's Bond. In TND Carver would've been a member, TWINE would've been a stand alone film and then in DAD Trevelayn would have been the main villain and Brosnan would've finished him off at the end.

I thought Janus could have been the recurring villain, but in a different way: have Trevelyan the commander in the field so to speak for GE, who told them everything he knew about the 00 section, so they are a worthy adversary, have some former KGB as the head of Janus and mentor of Trevelyan (it still works, two heads, like Janus, one body, i.e. the organisation). TND would have been the standalone, then in TWINE which features Zukovsky and terrorism and the East it would have made sense to be a sort of follow up to GE, with a revamped Renard the new field commander, then a much revamped and better DAD (including a different title) with the head of Janus played by an experienced thespian actor to end Brosnan's era with a bang. A recurring menace is one of the big, big, BIG missed opportunity of Brosnan's tenure.
    Ludovico wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I actually agree with this. I love Sean Bean as an actor and he was a capable villain, but I always thought Trevelyan was lacking as a character. He is too young for his background, for one, and in a role of leadership it would have fitted more had he been older.

I'd never really thought about it before until last night. I like some of his scenes (the statue park scene especially is excellent) but Trevelyan is all talk and little action. Despite having a personal connection to Bond you get the sense Bond has faced more challenging, despicable villains both before and since.

Sanchez for example brutally murders his mistresses lover, mames Felix and kills Krest. Heck even Carver arranges for the death of his own wife and personally shoots one of his henchman. Trevelyan just spends most of the time mocking Bond (admittedly with some good lines of dialogue), but doesn't really succeed beyond that in doing anything particularly villanous.

He does get a great death though and physically he's a match, if not superior, to Bond.

Also, on another note I thought Brosnan's performance in GE was good. Not his best but decent. That's probably another controversial view.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    (including a different title)

Nothing wrong with DAD's title. It's snappy, memorable, Bondanian and it made sense in the context of the film.

I think the Bonds that most need title changes are TND (should've been Tommorow Never Lies) and Quantum Of Solace (should've been Property Of A Lady).
  • Ludovico wrote:
    (including a different title)

Nothing wrong with DAD's title. It's snappy, memorable, Bondanian and it made sense in the context of the film.

I think the Bonds that most need title changes are TND (should've been Tommorow Never Lies) and Quantum Of Solace (should've been Property Of A Lady).

Die Another Day is a bit generic, but I agree Tomorrow Never Dies is worse. Were there any other proposed titles that weren't variants on the "Tomorrow Never X-es" theme?
    I think the Bonds that most need title changes are TND (should've been Tommorow Never Lies)
    Totally. But QOS was a good title IMHO.