Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I'd probably go:

SC (By far and away the complete package. He had it all)
    RM (lacks Connery's killer edge, but has everything else)
    DC (lacks the charm & I'm not keen on the looks and style, but is the most credible killer of them all)
    GL (aced his only outing. So much promise)
    TD (real and down to earth. Human. Lacking in style though)
    PB (cool and looked great. Inconsistent, emotional and a bit soft though)

Fair enough. Glad to see Lazenby be above the bottom on another list!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    My list at the moment.

1. DALTON

2. CONNERY

3. BROSNAN

4. MOORE

5. LAZENBY

6. CRAIG
    It made me sad but I accept your opinion.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    My list at the moment.

1. DALTON
    I didn't realize you had Dalts so high. There are a few members who think quite highly of him I've noticed.
    That’s why my opinion is controversial here.
    My list at the moment.

1. DALTON
    I didn't realize you had Dalts so high. There are a few members who think quite highly of him I've noticed.

There are in fact quite many of us.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    SC
    DC
    RM
    GL
    TD
    PB
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 17,294
    My list would be something like this:
    1. Connery/Moore – very different Bonds, but two interpretations that were played to their very best.
    2. Lazenby – Can't make myself to take anything away from his performance. Might be coloured by the film he did, but for every time I watch OHMSS, I like Lazenby's effort more and more.
    3. Craig – no need to go into detail. He's a brilliant actor, and does the present Bond about as good we could hope for.
    4. Dalton – LTK secures the fourth place for me. Can't see anyone else as Bond here.
    5. Brosnan – Brosnan get's better with each film, but the films go just about the other way around. If he'd got the film he deserved to have, he could've jumped the list quite a lot. That being said, I enjoy Brosnan's Bond really, really much.
    My controversial opinion is that I declare ties for my fave Bond actors. That way no one has to be last.

1. Sean/Roger/Timmy D
    2. Danny/Pierce/George- in no particular order.
    3. Barry Nelson/David Niven tied.
    I can get behind all these recent lists. My opinion varies from time to time, apart from SC/RM always being at the top.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    SC
    RM/DC
    PB
    GL
    TD

Good

• GBFGBF
    RM
    SC
    TD
    PB
    DC
    GL
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    1. Dalton - sorry folks but this guy just nails Fleming’s Bond for me.
    2. Brosnan - the best ‘fun’ Bond and possibiy the most suave of them all, the man was born to wear a suit.
    3. Connery - five classy performances in which he masters the charismatic side of the character like no other, unfortunately two rather questionable comebacks as well.
    4. Lazenby - alas only one excellent performance in one of my favourite films, very human and very relatable.
    5. Moore - ironically liked him a lot in his first two outings, a bit too many hooo-oh-oh-owwww-moments in his later films, though I really like his swansong where he clearly despises the bad guy.
    6. Craig - perhaps the most realistic of them all, but lacking in elegance and class, which makes him more suitable for John Le Carré than Ian Fleming.
    SC
    DC
    RM
    PB
    GL
    TD
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    1. Sean Connery/Roger Moore
    2. Pierce Brosnan
    3. Timothy Dalton
    4. Daniel Craig
    5. George Lazenby
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Why are all these controversial? We have a thread for ranking the actors.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited December 2017 Posts: 7,976

I've noticed that ranking is a sort of contageous dicease here. Whenever someone states his rankings, others follow suit. That, to be safe, is my controversial opinion, and thus the truth.

I've noticed that ranking is a sort of contageous decease here. Whenever someone states his rankings, others follow suit. That, to be safe, is my controversial opinion, and thus the truth.

Controversially I have put Connery top,something I haven't done for a long time.

I've noticed that ranking is a sort of contageous decease here. Whenever someone states his rankings, others follow suit. That, to be safe, is my controversial opinion, and thus the truth.

It’s true, and it’s a great “disease!” Ranking stuff is fun.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Controversial would be putting Lazenby first or even second
    As I find Connery and Moore equal (in very different ways) as Bond, that might seem controversial to some. Placing Lazenby second even, might be controversial.
    I put Connery and Moore on par, because whilst Connery is undoubtedly the best, Moore is my favourite. He was Bond when I was a child, and he is the one who I rewatch the most.

But Connery could do it all, and well. Not to mention being the prototype for all to follow
    As I find Connery and Moore equal (in very different ways) as Bond, that might seem controversial to some. Placing Lazenby second even, might be controversial.

It would be controversial to put George second for sure. He is at the bottom of my list, simply due to the fact that he was only in one film, as great as that film was. We never really got time to digest his portrayal of Bond, or see it refined with experience. Had he done one or two more, I would probably put him above Craig.
    Roadphill wrote: »

It would be controversial to put George second for sure. He is at the bottom of my list, simply due to the fact that he was only in one film, as great as that film was. We never really got time to digest his portrayal of Bond, or see it refined with experience. Had he done one or two more, I would probably put him above Craig.
    I might have done the same. His one film is very impressive and he did a great job slipping into the shoes of an icon. I can't imagine the pressure on him.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I find Lazenby a too bland at times, but there's no denying he did damn good in the part, especially for someone who had no previous acting experience.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,790

I might have done the same. His one film is very impressive and he did a great job slipping into the shoes of an icon. I can't imagine the pressure on him.

Well, I think Lazenby was a great Bond. Don’t think Craig will ever end up higher than him in my ranking.
    Lazenby most certainly was not an experienced actor. He didn't train at a drama conservatory like Roger, Tim, Pierce or Daniel. He didn't have a string of films and stage performances under his belt as Sean had when he accepted the role. He modeled and was essentially modeling when he did those Big Fry commercials.
    That said he was surrounded by an excellent crew, and an excellent cast all working hard to make sure the film succeeds in telling the story. The end result, IMO, was that George did an excellent job as Bond under the circumstances. But even he has said in interviews it took him time post Bond to learn his craft.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Sorry, but I have to state once more what IMO was wrong with Laz. I just didn't (and still don't) buy his role as a smart, intelligent, cunning secret agent. I think he simply LOOKS stupid (literally, meaning his facial expression) for most of the movie, clueless, disoriented, out-of-place, and quite unlike anything I would expect of 007. You may now tell me that that was all intended and my doubts in that regard may be proof of his success in distracting me from his true role, but no, movie watchers don't function that way. I don't buy him in the role of a secret agent of the 007 caliber, and I wish they had picked another actor for OHMSS. Which surprisingly turned out to be a well-above-average Bond movie. But in spite of Laz and definitely not because of him. He is the impediment between OHMSS's status as a superior Bond movie and perfection, which might have been achieved with just about any other actor.

Lazenby, for me, definitely trails every other James Bond actor by a wide margin. Which is not surprising since even my No. 5 is called Roger Moore.

You can justify putting him last only for the fact he only did the one film. At the same time I think he carried that film as good as he could have done, and for that reason I put him second (behind Connery/Moore shared first place). I made my list purely of what we got with each actor.
  • Since other people are doing them, my Bond actor rankings, ranking them as Bond

1. SC
    2. TD
    3. DC
    4. PB
    5. RM
    6. GL