Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    I like pretty much all of Rog's girls. I think he had an excellent dynamic with all of them. Personal favourites are Anya, Melina, Holly, Solitaire and Mary. The only one I question is Stacey, but again as I've said before I just found Moore a bit too old to be credible there.

w4PEThJ.gif
    roger+moore+a+view+to+a+kill+1985.jpg
    I don't blame him for coming back for one last one, given that view.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I like pretty much all of Rog's girls. I think he had an excellent dynamic with all of them. Personal favourites are Anya, Melina, Holly, Solitaire and Mary. The only one I question is Stacey, but again as I've said before I just found Moore a bit too old to be credible there.

I loved all of Roger's leading ladies. Good chemistry, IMO, despite often a difference in age. To be honest I thought his relationship with Stacey was more convincing than Daniel/Bond's with Swann.
    I agree. There was nothing wrong with the relationship or the chemistry. It was just the age difference, and the cheesy 'come-on' (which admittedly was when he was in disguise as St. John Smythe).

w4PEThJ.gif

I loved all of Roger's leading ladies. Good chemistry, IMO, despite often a difference in age. To be honest I thought his relationship with Stacey was more convincing than Daniel/Bond's with Swann.
    I agree. There was nothing wrong with the relationship or the chemistry. It was just the age difference, and the cheesy 'come-on' (which admittedly was when he was in disguise as St. John Smythe).

I really like the "Wine with Stacey" scene. Bond cooking eggs reminds me of Fleming. The dialogue and especially the score are great. I love Bond's disappointed expression after she's fallen sleep. He obviously took too long reconnecting the phone.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

w4PEThJ.gif

I really like the "Wine with Stacey" scene. Bond cooking eggs reminds me of Fleming. The dialogue and especially the score are great. I love Bond's disappointed expression after she's fallen sleep. He obviously took too long reconnecting the phone.

Really? The whole "Connecting box is outside my bedroom window" line plus the age difference always strikes me as sort of pervy...
    echo wrote: »

w4PEThJ.gif

Really? The whole "Connecting box is outside my bedroom window" line plus the age difference always strikes me as sort of pervy...

Yeah. Bond isn't exactly trained as a telephone repair person. The age doesn't bother me that much in VIEW. To me he's still Roger Moore, though it certainly worked better in OP with Maud. I do like the way he says" Those ..........baboons....... could come back."

On the Suits of James Bond website , someone had posted that Roger, very early on was in talks for TLD and there was to be a much older female villain. With possibly Bette Davis or someone under consideration. I wonder if there is an ounce of truth to that? I do think he looked far better in 1987 than in VIEW, especially in the Happy Anniversary special.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    The worst part about Solitaire the huge decline from the authority she speaks with in her first scene with Bond, to the silent damsel in distress she becomes for the rest of the movie. I think it is quite poorly written. They just ignored her in the script.
    Listened to the FYEO soundtrack and I've decided that as cheesy as it is, it's actually pretty good.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Listened to the FYEO soundtrack and I've decided that as cheesy as it is, it's actually pretty good.

It’s definitely acceptable, gives the film a distinctive touch. I would actually argue none of the Bond films, with the exception of the mediocre NSNA score, ever had a bad score untill they unleashed Thomas Newman.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Only Barry did better than Newman.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,718
    Only Barry did better than Newman.

Ugh.

AIl67ub.gif
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    TSWLM, FYEO, and even NSNA's scores are all more memorable than Newman's, and that's not me presenting a controversial opinion.
    QBranch wrote: »
    TSWLM, FYEO, and even NSNA's scores are all more memorable than Newman's, and that's not me presenting a controversial opinion.

I think your opinion that what you're saying is not controversial is controversial.
    Could be! But when I think about scenes from any of those three films, I can remember the music that accompanied it quite vividly. Not so much with the latest two films - and I have watched them many times. What I remember from SF is in the PTS - specifically where Bond exits the building into the street, and the excavator scene just after. Then Bond hanging under the elevator. For SP - just the opening scene in Mexico.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 19,339
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Solitaire I'm really indifferent towards. She's stunning, and she isn't badly written or badly acted, but she's never stuck out to me as one of the best either. Cool backstory though. And I know she was white in the book but I really do think she should have been played by a black actress like the producers originally wanted.

I agree,it should have been a black actress,and Solitaire has never appealed to me,quite bland.

Honestly if you cut the boat chase in half, have Solitaire get recaptured on San Monique (cut the airport chase), recast Solitaire with a black actress, made her a bit more interesting and gave it a more exciting/climatic finale then LALD would be top ten for me, maybe even top five.

I do like it, but it frustrates me because it has so much going for it but a couple of nagging little issues hold it back. It could have easily been a classic with just a little bit of tinkering imo.

I think it has the best cast of villains in the series, Moore is perfect, the theme song is legendary, it has one of the best stunts, it has the great bit where Bond hang-gliders in while smoking a cigar, the score is great, the hints at the supernatural are really cool and perfectly done, and the whole thing feels really fresh and exciting every time I watch it (well, up until the boat chase maybe). It's a great film. I just think it could have been even better.

My main gripe is the ending..the fight starts really well with Kananga,with the close screen shots of each man,but it was all too short,and Kananga becomes a balloon.

It was a real anti-climax ,as was Bond fighting Baron Samedi,all that build up and one punch and he falls in a coffin full of snakes.

That's why LALD never breaks into my top 10..a lot of build up to serious 'is that it ?' moments.

Could be! But when I think about scenes from any of those three films, I can remember the music that accompanied it quite vividly. Not so much with the latest two films - and I have watched them many times. What I remember from SF is in the PTS - specifically where Bond exits the building into the street, and the excavator scene just after. Then Bond hanging under the elevator. For SP - just the opening scene in Mexico.

I was just being a comedian. I totally agree with you. I'd place most everyone in the EON film series ahead of Newman in terms of distinctiveness: Barry, Martin, Hamlisch, Conti, Kamen, Serra, Arnold.
    Agreed. I really love Martin's work on LALD, it's one of the absolute best. Of Arnold's scores, I think perhaps TND and QOS are the most memorable, or maybe CR in place of the latter. Hope he's back for B25.
    Agreed. I really love Martin's work on LALD, it's one of the absolute best. Of Arnold's scores, I think perhaps TND and QOS are the most memorable, or maybe CR in place of the latter. Hope he's back for B25.

Amen to that,Q !!

mattjoes wrote: »

I was just being a comedian. I totally agree with you. I'd place most everyone in the EON film series ahead of Newman in terms of distinctiveness: Barry, Martin, Hamlisch, Conti, Kamen, Serra, Arnold.

I agree, when I think of any of the first 22 Bond films I can plat at least a few tunes of its soundtrack in my head. Not so much for the last two, if any at all.

Nevertheless, with Mendes gone I don’t think Newman will return.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

FOr me Arnold's Brosnan films aren't very good score wise, allthough DAD is decently scored. But his work for CR and QoS is really good, I love it. Allthough i did get a bit fed up with him, Newman's hardly an improvement.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agreed. I really love Martin's work on LALD, it's one of the absolute best. Of Arnold's scores, I think perhaps TND and QOS are the most memorable, or maybe CR in place of the latter.

All of this I can agree with.
    I love the score for QoS. Really overlooked by many.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I love the score for QoS. Really overlooked by many.

One of the better aspects of the film I think.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    TSWLM is the weakest of Rogers first trilogy of Bond films.

It does have the weakest score, that's for sure.

Can't agree it's the worse film overall

Definitely controversial but I tend to agree. I think his first two outings were his best.

Spy is a bit overrated in my book. Stromberg is one of the weaker villains, Anya is wasted due to the poor acting of Bach and Jaws is played for laughs even from the start.

Scaramanga and Baron Samedi alone make the other two more enjoyable.

Never really liked the overlong music-free tanker finale either.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Definitely controversial but I tend to agree. I think his first two outings were his best.

Spy is a bit overrated in my book. Stromberg is one of the weaker villains, Anya is wasted due to the poor acting of Bach and Jaws is played for laughs even from the start.

Yes, but moreso LALD and TMWTGG had a sense of threat and inspite of their silliness. Spy is too comic book.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,984
    At least it doesn't waste time going on pointless comedic tangents or consistently under-delivering on expectations. I think that's the killer aspect.

Moore's Bond kind of was the comic book Bond. That's why he was tailored to stuff like TSWLM and MR. They went the whole mile.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited December 2017 Posts: 9,117
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Valid criticisms of TSWLM but that hardly vindicates TMWTGG.

Ekland's acting is just as bad, Nick Nack is played more for laughs, at least Jaws kills some people (and he's only played for laughs from the pyramids onwards. He's deadly serious for Fekkesh and Kalba so not 'from the start').

The tanker finale is not my favourite either but it's a significant upgrade on the limp excuse for a climax that preceded it.

Can't argue with Scaramanga being better than Stromberg but on most other measurements TSWLM easily trumps TMWTGG.
    I respect your opinion, but in no way can I see TMWTGG as superior to TSWLM. To me, TMWTGG is inferior in every aspect save for the villain and maybe score. For me, TSWLM works as Moore’s best film because it’s like traditional OTT Bond, somewhat silly, but still not too far like it goes in MR.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    At least TSWLM and MR put it all up there on the screen.

TMWTGG just falls flat on every front.
    I doubt this will be controversial, but while I really did like George Lazenby as James Bond, I am actually glad he only did OHMSS. It gives the film an even more special feel.