Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I agree. I thought Bond's face on the shooting targets was fine but the photo's was one step too far.
  • That sequence has never sat well with me. The filmmakers were definitely overstressing a point that never should have been made in the first place.
  • Y
    Dalton was crap, his movies all the same, but it's not controversial it's a fact! When is gonna be a SIR anyway?

Yes, what a failure that man is! Just imagine, all his movies exactly the same! No wonder he doesn t receive any knighthood.

You seem upset, it's my opinion, get over it.
  • GoldenGun wrote: »
    Dalton was crap, his movies all the same, but it's not controversial it's a fact! When is gonna be a SIR anyway?

Laughable statement, "Sir".

Belgium is a laughable country, btw it's an opinion not a statement, i take it english is your second language?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Some new people come on here and seem intent on being marginalized from the start. Of course I'm not making this statement in reference to any particular person who might be whining their ass off and acting like a wenis on this very page.

@Birdleson, quite. I believe you and I have had recent run-ins with those who aren't making very strong first impressions as members of the forum.
  • Some of Moore's bonds are severely and overly criticized for nothing really, he nailed the part like no one did since Connery. He was Immensely popular but people loathes legendary bond flicks like octopussy and for your eyes only, even TMWTG and Moonraker were excellent in my book, Moonraker's biggest critique was the idea of having bond in space, the "space" part was only 20 minutes in the end on a 2 hours movie.

Moonraker what a flick, them old days.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 67
    Some new people come on here and seem intent on being marginalized from the start. Of course I'm not making this statement in reference to any particular person who might be whining their ass off and acting like a wenis on this very page.

You're blowing this way out of proportion, get over it, people will disagree with you, but i'm a wenis now? You're so tough behind that computer lmao,i certainly would love to see you talk shit to my face.
  • Birdleson wrote: »

@Birdleson, quite. I believe you and I have had recent run-ins with those who aren't making very strong first impressions as members of the forum.

So you're the internet gestapo or something? I'm a recruit here, although i've been a bond fan for decades, so you should welcome all fellow bond fans with open arms, not throw hissy fits for mere inoffensive comments/opinions of mine.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

So you're the internet gestapo or something? I'm a recruit here, although i've been a bond fan for decades, so you should welcome all fellow bond fans with open arms, not throw hissy fits for mere inoffensive comments/opinions of mine.

When you start out acting like a git, don't be surprised when people pause in warming to you. I would invest some dedicated time towards working on that first impression of yours.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2017 Posts: 6,791
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Laughable statement, "Sir".

Belgium is a laughable country, btw it's an opinion not a statement, i take it english is your second language?

I would like to point out you said it was a "fact" that Dalton's Bond films weren't any good, a fact is not an opinion. On the contrary.

You're right however, English is not my first language. It is in fact my third in a total of five, I did learn nevertheless one writes the personal pronoun "I" as well as the word "English" with a capital. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, you seem to be convinced I live in a ridiculous country in which case I highly doubt you have much knowledge about my country at all.

May I suggest a less offensive way of communicating with other members?

Thank you.
    This is an interesting little conversation... I think I will come back at a more appropriate time.
    Maybe controversial, not sure: people should stop complaining that Max Denbigh being a traitor was an obvious twist. It was never meant to be a twist and we know of his treason early in the movie.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Maybe controversial, not sure: people should stop complaining that Max Denbigh being a traitor was an obvious twist. It was never meant to be a twist and we know of his treason early in the movie.

Indeed. I'd say from his very first scene it was obvious he was a villain.
    He's almost a villainous caricature twirling his mustache in that first scene.
    I actually quite like Max Denbigh, and dare I say, find him a far more interesting Bond villain than Waltz's Blofeld.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Waltz as Blofeld was an obvious twist, but I agree that right from the start, it's all but confirmed that Denbigh isn't on their side.
  • The problem with Denbigh—apart from proving another threat from within in a long, long line of threats from within—is that he is telegraphed as the villain from the very start with his high-and-mighty patter and his Gustav Gravian sneer. Whereas the reality of it is that he's, for all intents and purposes, just a bureaucrat Bond and Tanner don't like, not necessarily somebody in league with SPECTRE. So the audience is ten steps ahead of M and everybody else the whole film—same with Waltz really being Blofeld really, which we all knew was coming—and we just had to wait for the film to catch up with us.

Compare Denbigh with some other character who is purportedly just some somewhat quasi unlikeable somebody and not necessarily a traitor. Boris Grishenko when we first meet him for instance—a sleazy, eccentric computer programmer, but no villain—or Miranda Frost—a frigid Mi6 agent who finds Bond laughable, but no villain (although the marketing may have given the game away in that second case). Whereas Denbigh practically steps onto the screen saying "Muahahaha!" and we don't get the SPECTRE connection reveal until the third act. I can just hear Bond's internal dialogue at the moment, perfectly mirroring his line during the Rome car chase: "Of course! Denbigh!" Way ahead of you, buddy. The sneer should have told you something. Only a SPECTRE mole could sneer that pompously.

In hindsight, it would have actually been a novel idea to make Denbigh just some sneering idiot high on himself who actually redeems himself a bit in the end by saving M's neck and make Tanner or Q's cat or whoever the real mole. At least we wouldn't have seen it coming way ahead of all the characters.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    It wasn't to me. Couldn't believe they'd be so moronic and obvious. Bond and Blofeld having a childhood connection.... ~X(
    royale65 wrote: »
    It wasn't to me. Couldn't believe they'd be so moronic and obvious. Bond and Blofeld having a childhood connection.... ~X(

Ow !! ....that must have been a kick in the balls for you ,finding that out at time !!

I honestly thought that they wouldn't do something like that. I was sat down in the cinema worried that Blofeld/Oberhauser would be behind Bond's parents death. "I'm the author of all your pain", etc. So, when I learnt the "terrible truth" about Blofeld and his daddy issues, it kinda passed me over; I was so relieved that Blofeld wasn't responsible for 007's family tragedy. Only with time did it dawn on me.
    At least you didnt get it until later,thats a kind of cheap bonus !
    Yes, it dawned on me a couple of days after I first saw Spectre in the cinema.

"So, Blofeld isn't responsible for the death of Bond's parents? Phew!"
    "But he is Bond foster brother? Ah, damn it...."

Still, is the place for controversial opinions, so Pierce Bronsan is an awesome Bond.

And with that, Goodnight folks!
    hahaha welcome to our world ,but a few days late at the time !
  • royale65 wrote: »
    Yes, it dawned on me a couple of days after I first saw Spectre in the cinema.

"So, Blofeld isn't responsible for the death of Bond's parents? Phew!"
    "But he is Bond foster brother? Ah, damn it...."

Still, is the place for controversial opinions, so Pierce Bronsan is an awesome Bond.

And with that, Goodnight folks!

That's like hurling a Molotov cocktail over your shoulder on the way out the door! Sleep well, but expect the walls to be charred and smoldering when you return.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Waltz as Blofeld was an obvious twist, but I agree that right from the start, it's all but confirmed that Denbigh isn't on their side.

Waltz as Blofeld was and was meant to be a Jekyll and Hyde twist.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Waltz as Blofeld was and was meant to be a Jekyll and Hyde twist.

Waltz as the leader of a seedy organization in a film called 'SPECTRE' surely isn't a dead giveaway as to who he is playing.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The problem with Denbigh—apart from proving another threat from within in a long, long line of threats from within—is that he is telegraphed as the villain from the very start with his high-and-mighty patter and his Gustav Gravian sneer. Whereas the reality of it is that he's, for all intents and purposes, just a bureaucrat Bond and Tanner don't like, not necessarily somebody in league with SPECTRE. So the audience is ten steps ahead of M and everybody else the whole film—same with Waltz really being Blofeld really, which we all knew was coming—and we just had to wait for the film to catch up with us.

Compare Denbigh with some other character who is purportedly just some somewhat quasi unlikeable somebody and not necessarily a traitor. Boris Grishenko when we first meet him for instance—a sleazy, eccentric computer programmer, but no villain—or Miranda Frost—a frigid Mi6 agent who finds Bond laughable, but no villain (although the marketing may have given the game away in that second case). Whereas Denbigh practically steps onto the screen saying "Muahahaha!" and we don't get the SPECTRE connection reveal until the third act. I can just hear Bond's internal dialogue at the moment, perfectly mirroring his line during the Rome car chase: "Of course! Denbigh!" Way ahead of you, buddy. The sneer should have told you something. Only a SPECTRE mole could sneer that pompously.

In hindsight, it would have actually been a novel idea to make Denbigh just some sneering idiot high on himself who actually redeems himself a bit in the end by saving M's neck and make Tanner or Q's cat or whoever the real mole. At least we wouldn't have seen it coming way ahead of all the characters.
    You've raised excellent points. Indeed, it would have been preferable if Denbigh was a red herring rather than the 'careless' & overtly obvious Spectre lackey he ended up being. No tension whatsoever there!

In fact, I would have much preferred it if they had just gone ahead and made Fienne's M the villain (as was the original plan) or alternatively Tanner a traitor, and then soft reboot the whole thing with B25.
    Watching a Mendes film is like a slow walk through an elegant ballroom.

Whatever happens next, I'm hoping for more adrenaline.

Also, it annoys me how we have a ready "made" bond by the end of QoS but he's suddenly an "old dog" by Skyfall.

We never get to see Daniel Craig's bond in his prime.

Each of his four movies feels like a reboot of sorts. I miss the days of standalone movies.

None of this is that controversial these days I guess. Of course, the Mendes era is being revaluated in the wake of spectre.

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    If you had read all of Fleming, and knew the character was Oberhauser, adding that first teaser, you knew that the foster brother angle was coming.

It's unfortunate that knowing Fleming would allow you to see that the most anti-Fleming thing was about to happen.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I want to see a Bond film with a different hero, where Bond is painted as one of the villains. A henchman for the evil MI6.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 6,844
    I want to see a Bond film with a different hero, where Bond is painted as one of the villains. A henchman for the evil MI6.

You mean Skyfall, where Silva is trying to take down the villainous M and her henchthug Bond keeps popping up and thwarting his mission?