Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    chrisisall wrote: »
    My research shows that 500 feet is do-able, 300 feet is survivable, less than that is in God's hands.

400 feet is the minimum height to deploy the parachute.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My research shows that 500 feet is do-able, 300 feet is survivable, less than that is in God's hands.

400 feet is the minimum height to deploy the parachute.

Let's do the math:
    400 feet in real life = 50 feet in the movies (you divide by 8). :))
    We didn t have use for parachutes in the navy.

:P I can imagine.

Not wanting to boast but I'm actually with parachute reconnaissance in the Swiss military. I'm a Grenadier (which is the Swiss equivalent to a Marine). :)

Navy would have been my dream!

...but sadly Switzerland doesn't border any seas :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Swiss Army is famous. Don t you have a navy too, though? Or at least a merchant marine?
    The Swiss Army is famous. Don t you have a navy too, though? Or at least a merchant marine?

It's true there is a maritime branch in the Swiss army. Military patrol boats (unarmed) are on the several big lakes and on the biggest rivers. Search and rescue mission (on water) are often done by the army in fact.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I don't think I can ever post a positive comment on Brosnan anymore knowing @Thunderfinger's military background he can use against that. ;)
    I don't think I can ever post a positive comment on Brosnan anymore knowing @Thunderfinger's military background he can use against that. ;)

Mission acomplished.
    Didn't Christopher Lee also serve in the military? He said he thought Brosnan was the best Bond.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Didn't Christopher Lee also serve in the military? He said he thought Brosnan was the best Bond.

Don t mock the dead.

Christopher Lee always knew what he's talking about ;;)
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,189

Don t mock the dead.

Well it is documented. Boils down to opinion I suppose.

Incidently, I'd like to know @Thunderfinger's thoughts on The Fourth Protocol in which Broz plays an active KGB officer.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2015 Posts: 15,690
    @Thunderfinger and @BondJasonBond006 do ex-military guys check all the exits when entering a room? Almost every characters with military background explain that in movies/tv series, so I wonder if it's true.
    I checked the exit when I entered this forum. You should all do the same.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The exits are brick up, from the outside. The only exit is the lift that we send spammers down on to be eaten by The Abomination.
    The Abomination is a friendly dog. He humped my leg.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Do I have to huff and puff?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,687
    Well blow me down!

@Thunderfinger and @BondJasonBond006 do ex-military guys check all the exits when entering a room? Almost every characters with military background explain that in movies/tv series, so I wonder if it's true.

Funny you mention that, because it's true for me. I belong to a Special Ops unit (sounds fancy when it's first of all hard work) I was trained in hand-to-hand combat, house-to-house fighting and survival in the mountains.
    Checking the environment or as you said exits in a building, room is in my DNA.

@Thunderfinger beat me with his witty remark about exits on a forum like this
    :)) or else I would have said something similar
    Speaking of the military, here is a maybe controversial opinion about Bond.

I want James Bond (Daniel Craig) being shown in his military uniform. After all he is a commander. It sure would look good on him!!
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    I watched MR recently and actually enjoyed it for the most part. As far as I've always been concerned, that's a rather controversial statement!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    eddychaput wrote: »
    I watched MR recently and actually enjoyed it for the most part. As far as I've always been concerned, that's a rather controversial statement!

So did I (just yesterday). It's a gorgeous film to look at. First half is first class imho, but it sort of drags for me in the 2nd half. Still, it's a hugely ambitious Bond film.....as big as ever. Gets knocked a little hard around here imho due to space section and silly bits.
    I too love Moonraker. It's one of my personal favorites.
    If this keeps up saying one DOESN'T like MR will become controversial!
    bondjames wrote: »
    eddychaput wrote: »

So did I (just yesterday). It's a gorgeous film to look at. First half is first class imho, but it sort of drags for me in the 2nd half. Still, it's a hugely ambitious Bond film.....as big as ever. Gets knocked a little hard around here imho due to space section and silly bits.

Yeah, it really is beautifully photographed. It helps that the filmmakers went to stunning locations like Venice and Rio, but you still need a competent film crew and give the movie the flavour from those locations. Also, the space sequence looks out of this world.
    ;)
    Count me in as a big MR fan too!
    Here's why TMWTGG is my favourite Moore film:
    There were no Road Runner deaths like Kananga, no 'destroy the world' plots, or impossible henchmen like Jaws, no parrots talking to the PM or tuk-tuk tennis fights, and no shrieking endlessly of Bond's first name.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    There were no Road Runner deaths like Kananga, no 'destroy the world' plots, or impossible henchmen like Jaws, no parrots talking to the PM or tuk-tuk tennis fights, and no shrieking endlessly of Bond's first name.

True, but it's so boring.
    Too bad the stupid humor and Goodnight along with the Solex plot ruined it for me, making it my least favorite Moore movie. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    echo wrote: »

True, but it's so boring.

This right here. It's why it's my least favorite Moore film and one of my least favorite in the series.

We got a silly Sheriff acting racist, a stupid bimbo played for laughs, a ludicrous martial arts exhibition out of nowhere, a henchman more comic than menacing (etc, etc...) instead though...