Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote:
    This has probably been asked many times before, but it's something I'm really curious to hear what people think about it (and I'm sure it'll be controversial), but should the slide whistle from The Man With the Golden Gun used during the corkscrew jump be removed from future releases of this film?
    Taking out something that never should have been there in the first place would not offend my sense of retaining the original artistic integrity of a film.

I tend to agree, but where is the limit? If they start taking away or adding stuff according to some haphazard taste, suddenly we are in Lucas land.

And the Brosnan films may end up being as long as an episode of Tom and Jerry.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    BAIN123 wrote:
    To be honest the corkscrew jump is tolerable. I'd much rather get rid of the unfunny, insulting, dumb, stupid, slappable slut Mary Goodnight.

Yep, not a fan of hers.

You and me both! I wish it was her who got offed by Scaramanga instead of Anders.
    My c.o.: Mary Goodnight was one of the best Bond girls ever. Lovely and dumb. What more can you ask for?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My c.o.: Mary Goodnight was one of the best Bond girls ever. Lovely and dumb. What more can you ask for?

A better written character, played by a much better actress.
    celebrities-when-they-were-young-111.jpg
    She gives mi6 a bad name.
    I didn't mind that she was dumb, but the comedic take of her character and the movie was the true problem. Tone down the silliness and you have a more believable Mary Goodnight. And not as dumb.
    I love lovely and dumb.

I love you all.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Who is that Murdoc ?.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Not sure if this is controversial, but one of my favorite/catchiest theme songs is that for 'A View To A Kill.' I'm a huge 80's fan, perhaps that's why, but I love it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Who is that Murdoc ?.
    Dame Helen Mirren :x
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    QBranch wrote:
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Who is that Murdoc ?.
    Dame Helen Mirren :x
    Good god I can see that now
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Not sure if this is controversial, but one of my favorite/catchiest theme songs is that for 'A View To A Kill.' I'm a huge 80's fan, perhaps that's why, but I love it.
    Same here. I'm obsessed with the decade. One of my absolute fave Bond themes there.
    @QBranch, I'm glad I'm not alone in saying that. It's so catchy, and probably in my top five favorite themes in the Bond series. It's one of the few that I can't help but belt out the lyrics to every time the song is on.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's one of the few that I can't help but belt out the lyrics to every time the song is on.
    No glow-in-the-dark ski wear? C'mon, put your back into it, eh? ;)
    QBranch wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's one of the few that I can't help but belt out the lyrics to every time the song is on.
    No glow-in-the-dark ski wear? C'mon, put your back into it, eh? ;)

I thought wearing that during the film was mandatory.

Does...does nobody else do that? Oh-ohhh.... ;-)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @QBranch, I'm glad I'm not alone in saying that. It's so catchy, and probably in my top five favorite themes in the Bond series. It's one of the few that I can't help but belt out the lyrics to every time the song is on.

Me too - one of my fav Bond songs, plus Barry incorporates it into the score just wonderfully, especially the romantic cues -

edited June 2014 Posts: 13,879
    royale65 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Me too - one of my fav Bond songs, plus Barry incorporates it into the score just wonderfully, especially the romantic cues -

Yep, nice theme there- and listening to it while looking at a half-naked Grace Jones smoking a cigarette makes it even more romantic. What a view to a kill. Did she even smoke in the film? I mean, apart from during the sex scene with Rog? ;;)
    @QBranch, I can't recall. She may have smoked during the horse racing scene, but I could be wrong.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Jones is always smoking. Grrr.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Oh, I LOVE the AVTAK song. My favourite along with Live and Let Die. I don't believe Mayday smokes in AVTAK.
    Oh, I LOVE the AVTAK song. My favourite along with Live and Let Die. I don't believe Mayday smokes in AVTAK.

You and I both! LALD is my favorite, and AVTAK is definitely top five, along with 'Skyfall.'
    Having been with the series from the beginning, there's more I like about the series than dislike, but those things I dislike I've always put down to laziness, smugness, or just plain lack of attention to detail on the parts of the filmmakers.

1-Hated the rear screen projection Sunbeam/Funeral car chase in DN, but then the series has done this quite a bit, especially skiing sequences.

2-Use of models and miniatures that look like models and miniatures: GF, YOLT.

3-Bad continuity editing: Mustang in DAF, as well as wheel falling off moon buggy. Explosion debris on truck in FRWL, but gone seconds later. One could write a book on these gaffs.

4-Consistently choosing really bad actresses to play so many Bond girls.

5-Changing the whole tone of the series to fit RM's lack of acting ability.

6-Speeding up film that makes whatever is on screen appear cartoonish. Tilly's car crash in GF, Disco Volante crashing into rocks TB.

7-Sound of tires screeching on sand - OHMSS.

8-Cartoon characters such as Jaws falling out of an airplane and surviving.

9-Creating gadgets that anticipate a specific problem Bond will encounter. Too many to note--but the inflatable gondola is especially irritating.

10-Penchant for choosing weak villains. QoS, TWINE, TND.

Overall this series has been a gigantic money maker that deserved a lot more quality than it got. Sometimes it's succeeded well, other times not. The three DC films have been better, but the series has never felt as confident as it did with the first four Bond films and OHMSS.

Wrong thread, Crab. Those are not controversial opinions, are they? The wheels screeching on sand has always made me laugh,one of the most stupid errors ever.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 14,798
    Here's a controversial opinion: I don't think Mary Goodnight was miscast, only badly written, a too comedic role in a too comedic movie. In fact I think TMWTGG has a perfect casting.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Here's a controversial opinion: I don't think Mary Goodnight was miscast, only badly written, a too comedic role in a too comedic movie. In fact I think TMWTGG has a perfect casting.

Except for Pepper. Mary was lovely. The Fleming character would be out of character in that Hamilton/Mankiewicz film.
    Ludovico wrote:

Except for Pepper. Mary was lovely. The Fleming character would be out of character in that Hamilton/Mankiewicz film.

Pepper was not miscast: the character shouldn't have been there in the first place!
    Thunderfinger said: Wrong thread, Crab. Those are not controversial opinions, are they? The wheels screeching on sand has always made me laugh, one of the most stupid errors ever.

Really? The wrong thread? Gror AVTAK is my favorite song or Pepper was miscast? These count as controversial opinions? Did you read my post wherein I provide my opinions as to why the producers have all too often been lazy, smug, and indifferent to detail.

CrabKey wrote:
    Thunderfinger said: Wrong thread, Crab. Those are not controversial opinions, are they? The wheels screeching on sand has always made me laugh, one of the most stupid errors ever.

Really? The wrong thread? Gror AVTAK is my favorite song or Pepper was miscast? These count as controversial opinions? Did you read my post wherein I provide my opinions as to why the producers have all too often been lazy, smug, and indifferent to detail.

Yes, I think many or probably most will agree. I certainly do.

The real controversial opinion is that it is controversial.
    I find it hard to watch You Only Live Twice now. It just doesnt keep me gripped or intrigued to see what happens next like the other Bond's. Does'nt feel like a thriller.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,189
    patrice wrote:
    I find it hard to watch You Only Live Twice now. It just doesnt keep me gripped or intrigued to see what happens next like the other Bond's. Does'nt feel like a thriller.

That's exactly how I feel about DAF. I understand that film is meant to be more comic and less serious in tone, but I nonetheless find it a real struggle to get through - especially the second half. The viewer is never given any reason to care about what happens onscreen.