Cate Blanchett: I’d love to play a Bond villain

edited February 2012 in Actors Posts: 3,333
It's been reported that Cate Blanchett would love to play a Bond villain from an interview in Harper's Bazaar. She appears to be a great fan of Lotta Lenya, who played Rosa Klebb in FRWL. What do you think of Cate playing a villainous role in a future Bond flick, and does the fact she's already played a baddie in an Indiana Jones franchise discount her from any future productions?

SCREEN beauty Cate Blanchett lays down on a cold tile floor as she reveals she wants to play a Bond villain.
The elegant star revealed her admiration for Austrian actress Lotta Lenya, who played Soviet baddie Rosa Klebb in 1963's From Russia With Love, in a new interview for Harper's Bazaar.

When quizzed on whether she'd take a similar role she gushed: "Oh God! Yes! I'd be there in a heartbeat.

"I love Lotta Lenya."

But with a return to the London stage on the horizon, the Aussie star says she is unlikely to be one of the stars who tries their luck behind the camera.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/4161012/Cate-Blanchett-Id-love-to-play-a-Bond-villain.html

Comments

She would be awesome.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    She would be great for Bond. Any role I'd welcome her for. From here on, Bond films need a top notch cast every time.
    Hmmm...I'm not so sure about that... She was one of the reasons why I didn't like Indy 4. She overacted and wasn't convincing to me as a villian. I'd hate to see her do the same in Bond.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 12,837
    sorry, double post. We need a delete button lol.
  • I thought she was one of indy 4s strong points. I liked indy 4 apart from mutt, if it wasn't for him I would've loved it.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Hmmm...I'm not so sure about that... She was one of the reasons why I didn't like Indy 4. She overacted and wasn't convincing to me as a villian. I'd hate to see her do the same in Bond.

Agreed. She is a good actress, but she wasn't in Indy.
    Indy 4 was hardly an occasion for acting straight. I daresay Bond would be a different kettle of fish altogether. At least the version of Bond that's currently Craig's strongest role. For this Blanchett would be a most welcome addition.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 5,745
    NEVERMIND.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:

Agreed. She is a good actress, but she wasn't in Indy.

Yes she was.... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/

I suppose the point was that she wasn't a good actress in Indy 4.

OH! DOH! My bad. Your right Germanlady, nothing was good in that film.

* embarrassed*
    I wouldn't mind. though we all know the Cate Blanchet in bond 24 rumors will begin oh in a few months lol
    ;)
    She already played a Bond villain in sort of a Bond-type movie in the most recent Indina Jones movie.
    Ellis wrote:
    She already played a Bond villain in sort of a Bond-type movie in the most recent Indina Jones movie.

So..?
  • How about Cate Blanchett and Russel Crowe both stare in a Bond film....two aussie in one film......would be nice
  • She should trying playing at being a woman first.
    Cate Blanchett in Property of a lady! Sounds good to me! :D I don't think it matters that she played a villain in Indy 4! Thats like saying should Bardem be a villain because of his brilliant performance inNo Country For Old Men? And what if Feinnes charactor does turn out to be a villain? So i do not think it should be a concern? I would love to see her in a future Bond movie! :-bd
    I agree with others who say that Indy 4 is good apart from Mutt (stupid name by the way!). CB would make a great Bond villainess.
    Apparently, my comment was misinterpreted. I didn't say that she should not play a Bond villain in an actual James Bond movie. I was just passing along the observation that she has played a villain, in a franchise that some refer to as Steven Spielberg's...Bond...Indiana Jones.
    She should trying playing at being a woman first.

ouch
  • I'd be all for it as long as she wouldn't ham it up. A terrifically talented and beautiful actress indeed.
  • it would be interesting to replace one oscar winner with another oscar winner in the future...!!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

hmmm? what are you really trying to say?
    We have touched on this subject before. It would be a nice change of pace to see a female main villian. Not the type like Elektra but more of a female Blofeld. This subject has been ignored by the producers in the past.
    Cate Blanchette?
    I don't know. I was thinking someone more like Madeline Stowe. A middle aged woman who exudes sexiness and confidence for old farts like me.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 2,782

hmmm? what are you really trying to say?

she's a bloke, who's having a fling with a south african born oscar winning actress.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,879
    She'd be great as a Bond villainess, as well as Helen Mirren and Rachel Weisz.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    She kind of already did, in Hanna.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 2,594
    Generally, I'm not keen on A list Hollywood actors/actresses for Bond films but someone like Cate Blanchett who focuses more on character driven roles would be welcome. The same goes for Sean Penn. Someone like Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Aniston though, I'd hate to see in a Bond film.
  • QBranch wrote:
    She'd be great as a Bond villainess, as well as Helen Mirren and Rachel Weisz.

Ditto, but dump Dame Mirren and replace her with Francesca Annis. :-bd
  • I am all for it!